Become a Patron!

Wife - Vaping Issues / Constant Leaking tanks

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK Squonkers! Need your professional input on this issue.

Issue:
Every tank that I've handed to my wife to vape on ends up leaking like a faucet after the second fill up.

I am now 99% sure it is her 'style' of vaping. I'm put her in the Subtank Mini w-RBA coil, Wotofo Serpent, Geek Vape Ammit, OBS Crius Plus, SMOK Baby Beast (RBA), SMOK Big Baby Beast (RBA) and every damn one of them leaks on her, no matter what wicking method and coil ID I have used. However, when I take over that same tank (without rebuilding it) I can't get the damn things to leak ANY (once i've cleaned it up).

My theory is this: She can't handle very hot vapor, so she runs in TC mode of 350-380F and VW of 30-35w normally. She takes very "small" MTL hits. It appears to me that she is just hitting it enough to drag in some juice into the cotton and "start" to vaporize the juice. Then she takes more drags and draws in more juice, but never fully vaporizes it. It appears that she is flooding out the cotton and it then it pools up in the AFC and eventually drips / leaks onto the MOD.

I just started researching "squonker" boxes tonight. I'm trying to get an understand of what how they work and what they "are".

Is this something you guys see as a possible fix for her?
Or am I way off base with my theory?

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kanger Toptank Mini, bro. Cheap coils, low watts, low juice consumption, super trouble free. Squonking is kind of fiddly.....

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Issue:
Every tank that I've handed to my wife to vape on ends up leaking like a faucet after the second fill up.

I am now 99% sure it is her 'style' of vaping. I'm put her in the Subtank Mini w-RBA coil, Wotofo Serpent, Geek Vape Ammit, OBS Crius Plus, SMOK Baby Beast (RBA), SMOK Big Baby Beast (RBA) and every damn one of them leaks on her, no matter what wicking method and coil ID I have used. However, when I take over that same tank (without rebuilding it) I can't get the damn things to leak ANY (once i've cleaned it up).

My theory is this: She can't handle very hot vapor, so she runs in TC mode of 350-380F and VW of 30-35w normally. She takes very "small" MTL hits. It appears to me that she is just hitting it enough to drag in some juice into the cotton and "start" to vaporize the juice. Then she takes more drags and draws in more juice, but never fully vaporizes it. It appears that she is flooding out the cotton and it then it pools up in the AFC and eventually drips / leaks onto the MOD.

I just started researching "squonker" boxes tonight. I'm trying to get an understand of what how they work and what they "are".

The first thing to look at, with any leak, are any o-rings; they're the first thing that will fail. Also, any atty that has an opening at the bottom, like a Protank-style... has the potential to leak if the juice is thin enough -- I vape 85% PG, which is why I don't use tanks at all. I also vape very low-power, 10w or less, with a very tight draw, so if it's not leaking because of thin juice it's sucking juice into my mouth because of the tight draw and low power -- I had to keep trying stuff to find what I liked best, which turned out to be an Achilles RDA, which sadly aren't made anymore. But old-style KFL+'s are really good for low-power, tight draw vapers, and they're *reasonably* leak-proof -- nothing is 100%, but the older KFL+'s came close. if you can find one of those by Tobeco, they're superb, and won't cost much, by now.

Andria

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kanger Toptank Mini
Already done that --- coils flood out and RBA floods out (only with her though). IMO, purchased coils aren't cheap no matter how you look at it. Build my own just for this reason.

The first thing to look at, with any leak, are any o-rings; they're the first thing that will fail. Also, any atty that has an opening at the bottom, like a Protank-style... has the potential to leak if the juice is thin enough -- I vape 85% PG, which is why I don't use tanks at all
Not O'ring issues or thin juice. I can literally take the tank off of her Alien MOD, clean it up, screw it onto my Alien or RX200S, set the wattage where I vape at, and rock on with zero leaking. We vape 30PG/70VG juice.

---

I can't put her in an RDA/dripper system. We drive 1hr to work every day and we vape at work all day. Dripping in an RDA is a no go.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Already done that --- coils flood out and RBA floods out (only with her though). IMO, purchased coils aren't cheap no matter how you look at it. Build my own just for this reason.

Not O'ring issues or thin juice. I can literally take the tank off of her Alien MOD, clean it up, screw it onto my Alien or RX200S, set the wattage where I vape at, and rock on with zero leaking. We vape 30PG/70VG juice.

---

I can't put her in an RDA/dripper system. We drive 1hr to work every day and we vape at work all day. Dripping in an RDA is a no go.

Then your squonker idea is probably a good one; I'm told it gives as good a vape as an RDA, but without the need to constantly drip. That's really the only reason I tried the Achilles initially, because it has a 2.5ml well -- that's about half a day's worth of vaping for me. :) But with a squonk thing, the excess juice just drains back into the bottle, right? I wanted to try it if I could find a) a good regulated squonk mod (that I could afford!), and b) a really tight-draw atty with great flavor that's also BF (that I could afford!). But then all this FDA shit happened and I just consolidated rather than trying another whole new thing.

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Issue:

You won't have any leaks with a decent squonker, I have about 25 squonkers, none leak. You can vape any way that suits your needs, dependant on the atty.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
2.5ml well -- that's about half a day's worth of vaping for me
Damn --- I wish we were at that level sometimes. She can easily go through 15ml p/day (excluding leakage). I'm doing 15ml - 30ml p/day --- depending on how long I'm at my computer (I'm an IT guy) and surfing VU! :D

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kanger Toptank Mini, bro. Cheap coils, low watts, low juice consumption, super trouble free. Squonking is kind of fiddly.....
It's been a few months since using it, but if I recall she did have "less" of an issue with this and purchased coils. If all else fails, I may just have to go back to this tank setup and bite the bullet and purchase coils.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Damn --- I wish we were at that level sometimes. She can easily go through 15ml p/day (excluding leakage). I'm doing 15ml - 30ml p/day --- depending on how long I'm at my computer (I'm an IT guy) and surfing VU! :D

Just another reason I love my Achilles -- AMAZING flavor, INTENSE throat hit, at low power, very tight draw = supremely economical juice usage. No, it doesn't make much "cloud" -- it's about the same as a smoker exhales, which is what I was aiming for! Simulation! It's like using a rebuildable carto with flavor that slaps you upside the head. :giggle:

Andria

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree with your conclusion that she's flooding the coils with her vaping style. She needs something she can tootle-puff, I think. Don't know what that would be, though.

Any members reading this should tag their tootling friends, and maybe they could recommend something rebuildable.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's been a few months since using it, but if I recall she did have "less" of an issue with this and purchased coils. If all else fails, I may just have to go back to this tank setup and bite the bullet and purchase coils.

If you end up with no other alternatives, fasttech.com has authentic Kanger 5pks for like $8. (They are all my wife will vape in her subtank mini.)

I've read of folks actually rebuilding the stock coils. You could look into that, as well.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It sounds like I'm getting a squonker. Now I need ideas on what to research & purchase.
If it ends up not being her thing i'll PIF it.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've read of folks actually rebuilding the stock coils. You could look into that, as well.
Yup, I purchased some of the non SSOCC (so the OCC square) coils just so that I could trying rebuilding them. Was just putting off using them unless I was forced to put her back in that tank.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So --- I just went through DJLsb's review on the Skyhook.. Basically, it appears that it is the same style of atty setup as a iJoy Limitless RDTA Genesis style tank? Which, I just happen to have one of those but never had her try it. hmm...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have two of the iJoy RDTA Box mods, about the same mod as the Skyhook, but iJoy has numerous attys available for the RDTA Box, which makes it better if you like various attys.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, I just threw together the Limitless RDTA atty for her. Dual coil - Nichrome coils coming in at .4ohm. Sliced down the airflow to near MTL and set it to 45w. So far she said she likes how it vapes and took off with it. Fingers crossed! :cheers:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I just threw together the Limitless RDTA atty for her. Dual coil - Nichrome coils coming in at .4ohm. Sliced down the airflow to near MTL and set it to 45w. So far she said she likes how it vapes and took off with it. Fingers crossed! :cheers:
PERFECT.....:vino:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I believe your THEORY was correct...!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Squonking is kind of fiddly.....

Eh. Yes it is and no it isn't. *chuckles* I'm a squonker though, inclined to say that. :)

I sqounk when I'm half asleep. It never leaks.

If I am half asleep, in that blissful zombie haze squonking can be leaky for me. I forget and over squonk, flood a bit. This doesn't happen often, but it has happened at least twice. Not knocking the ease of squonking only pointing out to squonk we need to be a bit more in tune with the vape, at least some of us. *chuckles* :)

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have you tried a higher ohm build? Then it might not be so hot and she can take a normal 'drag'.
Or Try a long drip tip. It'll help cool the vape.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Eh. Yes it is and no it isn't. *chuckles* I'm a squonker though, inclined to say that. :)

If I am half asleep, in that blissful zombie haze squonking can be leaky for me. I forget and over squonk, flood a bit. This doesn't happen often, but it has happened at least twice. Not knocking the ease of squonking only pointing out to squonk we need to be a bit more in tune with the vape, at least some of us. *chuckles* :)
Lol I hear ya. Guess it depends on the atty we are using. I use the Cyclone with a 1.2 mm airhole. Its the only way I can enjoy mtl vaping. It must create air pressure or I can't have it. :)

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have you tried a higher ohm build? Then it might not be so hot and she can take a normal 'drag'.
Or Try a long drip tip. It'll help cool the vape.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.
I may try that on the wotofo serpent with her. That atty lasts the longest before it starts leaking on her. The highest I've put in that one so far was a .7ohm

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This morning after vaping on that Limitless RDTA a while, she told me that it felt "to airy" and really didn't like how it vaped. And that the flavor was just not there from what she liked.
:gaah:

so -- Serpent built using KA1 26g came in at 1.4ohm. We'll see how she does on that build.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree. She doesn't vape like a typical sub-ohmer. Let her try a 1-ohm build on a Kayfun so she can take a whole hit.

Might be a bit more further afield than I think, but almost would suggest setting her up with a genny, probably an RSST. Give her one with a drilled out air hole cap to let her have adequate air. I liked using that kind of kit to get used to doing hits. Of course, I was an oddball what used wick not mesh. Still thinking that would be a good idea for her, possibly.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just for future readers of this thread...

Worked with the wife a little bit more on the tank setups. Got her vaping at a little higher wattage and off of TC mode. The Ammit tanks seems to work best for her. HOWEVER, I did decide to order some squonker hardware so that we could try it out. The more I was reading in the threads and talking with other die hard squonkers (@JuicyLucy @inspects -- Thanks guys/gals) I figured it would be worth the purchase to try it out.

Of the many very good recommendations received, this is what I decided to go with.
  • Lost Vape Therion BF Squonker DNA75 Kit
  • Coppervape BF 18650 Mechanical Mod
  • SXK Hadaly Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another option for MTL would be the Digiflavor Siren, it is a damn good GTA tank. Kinda like Genny but not as fussy. The Dripbox 2 is a nice TC squonk mod that's very affordable.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Issue:

With a squonker a couple of things.
You will have to build and wick coils and they tend to be a warmer vape than a tank.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With a squonker a couple of things.
You will have to build and wick coils and they tend to be a warmer vape than a tank.
Not a problem there. Been building and wicking a week after starting our vaping excursion. We don't use any purchased coil tanks anymore. All RTA and RDTA now.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not a problem there. Been building and wicking a week after starting our vaping excursion. We don't use any purchased coil tanks anymore. All RTA and RDTA now.

An a Kanger subtank leaks for your wife even if you use the RBA?
Mine NEVER leak.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If she MTL vapes why not buy here a MTL tank?
I did, and it was to restrictive of an airflow. She is currently doing much better on the Geekvape Ammit RTA and has done better at keeping it from leaking. Put a Ni80 Clapton coil in it at .5ohm and 35w seems to be doing good for her.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I did, and it was to restrictive of an airflow. She is currently doing much better on the Geekvape Ammit RTA and has done better at keeping it from leaking. Put a Ni80 Clapton coil in it at .5ohm and 35w seems to be doing good for her.

The Siren gta by Digiflavor is a really good MTL tank and I have had zero leaking issues with it

Selkie

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Issue:

You sound like my hubby! He agrees with you as do I. My husband hits like cig when I keep hitting on the tank like a little humming bird with my need for flavor. It causes the juice to become thinner due to overheating. So I gave in to a higher vg ratio and give my tanks a break for several seconds or reach for another setup if I just have to chainvape. I do feel I'm not letting the juice replenish into the coil area as much as I should. so I'm about to venture into my third squonk as I love them. I'm looking at the council of vaper wraith 80 watt. Kanger dripbox two is great but heats up like crazy with cruddy battery time. I have personally have had good leak luck with limitless tanks rta . Hope this helps ,good luck!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dripbox 2 heats up like crazy?
I guess I just do not run mine hot enough for that to happen.
30-40 watts fer me.

Battery lasts about 10-15 ml of juice which is pretty much what I get on other single battery mods.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You sound like my hubby! He agrees with you as do I. My husband hits like cig when I keep hitting on the tank like a little humming bird with my need for flavor. It causes the juice to become thinner due to overheating. So I gave in to a higher vg ratio and give my tanks a break for several seconds or reach for another setup if I just have to chainvape. I do feel I'm not letting the juice replenish into the coil area as much as I should. so I'm about to venture into my third squonk as I love them. I'm looking at the council of vaper wraith 80 watt. Kanger dripbox two is great but heats up like crazy with cruddy battery time. I have personally have had good leak luck with limitless tanks rta . Hope this helps ,good luck!
Couple of things changed on side with this topic.
1) I got her a CoV Wraith with a Hadaly (clone) BF atty. -- She hasn't put it down, and no more leaks.
2) I got her a iJoy EXO RTA for her SMOK Alien. This RTA tank is nearly leak proof and is working out great.
3) I got her moved up in the wattage and taking a better "draw" on her tanks. The leaking has virtually gone away. There are times that it still happens, but not nearly like it was.

:cheers:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
30-40 watts fer me.

Battery lasts about 10-15 ml of juice which is pretty much what I get on other single battery mods.
Yup --- about what we get out of a single battery MOD as well. Usually between the 30-40 watts on a single coil setup.

Selkie

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Couple of things changed on side with this topic.
1) I got her a CoV Wraith with a Hadaly (clone) BF atty. -- She hasn't put it down, and no more leaks.
2) I got her a iJoy EXO RTA for her SMOK Alien. This RTA tank is nearly leak proof and is working out great.
3) I got her moved up in the wattage and taking a better "draw" on her tanks. The leaking has virtually gone away. There are times that it still happens, but not nearly like it was.

:cheers:
I've decided to get the cov today. Your info is very helpful. I lost a really great mod yesterday so now I'm going to get it. Were did you find the clone hadaly if you don't mind.
Thanx

Selkie

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
30-40 watts fer me.

Im not sure I'm at about the same temp.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've decided to get the cov today. Your info is very helpful. I lost a really great mod yesterday so now I'm going to get it. Were did you find the clone hadaly if you don't mind.
Thanx
Fasttech. I'll get you a link in a few minutes. On phone.

VU Sponsors