Become a Patron!

Will this coil work with my mod and tank?

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello, i recently stopped into my smoke shop to save me from our horrible midwest winters. They set me up with a SMOK quantum brit mini 80w tc ota as seen here https://www.elementvape.com/smok-quantum-brit-mini-80w-tc-ota-kit so i went back today to purchase new coils and I pointed out to the girl what i bought and she came back with smok v8 baby beast q2 as seen here http://www.vaporbeast.com/smok-v8-baby-beast-q2-core-replacement-coil-5-pack.html . I took a look when i got home and they do not look like they have the same bottom as the coil i put in or took out. Will these still work with my tank? I dont want to remove them from their package and not be able to return them. And im still new to all this so I am hesitant with everything i do.
Many thanks for the help.

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yes that is what i took out and what i replaced with looked like, so they are not interchangeable. I think i may have been taken at the shop I paid about 20 bucks more for the setup than what i see online but that could just be the price to pay to get one in store. I have been looking around and it looks tough to find the coils. Any recommendations for a new tank that isnt out dated and will work well with my mod?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
BOM's will charge more then what you will find online. This is due to them trying to keep their doors open. I personally do not have a problem with using a BOM __IF__ I have to have something NOW and can't wait for it to ship.

Sometimes though --- ordering something (single items, etc) is just as expensive once you pay for shipping... sometimes. Find the sales and shop the best prices... I personally stay clear of China / clone items.

Any recommendations for a new tank that isnt out dated and will work well with my mod
Actually, that tank is listed on the SMOK site in the "New Tanks" section ... so I can't say it is outdated.
For a tank that should have coils readily available from multiple vendors, I would go with the SMOK Baby Beast or the Big Baby Beast. (I have a Baby Beast and it is very nice). The Baby Beast tanks also have an RTA coil/deck available if you were to ever get into building your own coils or get sick and tired of purchasing 5-pack coils (get very costly over time).

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not to "down slam" the BOM shops ... However, personal experience with multiple BOM's, I must say that 98% of the time they are clueless as to what they are actually selling and what works for people. I'm glad that you have found VU! There are a lot of helpful people in this community and we can help you get started out CORRECTLY!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
yes that is what i took out and what i replaced with looked like, so they are not interchangeable. I think i may have been taken at the shop I paid about 20 bucks more for the setup than what i see online but that could just be the price to pay to get one in store. I have been looking around and it looks tough to find the coils. Any recommendations for a new tank that isnt out dated and will work well with my mod?
Just take the ones you bought back. If the manager or owner is there, explain to him what happened. We don't want staff like the one that served you working in a vape shop. If all she was after was a couple extra $$$ on the sale, she could end up getting someone hurt pretty badly.

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just take the ones you bought back. If the manager or owner is there, explain to him what happened. We don't want staff like the one that served you working in a vape shop. If all she was after was a couple extra $$$ on the sale, she could end up getting someone hurt pretty badly.
I went back to the store the next day to get more coils and they were closing for a holiday party, a guy gave me a free coil. Of course that was to the wrong tank as well. Yesterday i went to 6 vape shops (3 of the store i bought mine from but different locations) and none of them had the coil i needed. I ordered a big baby beast because someone threw away my receipt for the coils. It gets here on tuesday. So i bought an evod ($14) so i wouldnt have to go back to cigarettes. It has no manufacturer name. Set it up exactly like the guy told me and im pretty sure i destroyed the cotton or coil. I get Zero flavor. The guy told me not to prime it, so i start puffing and instantly get a taste of pure nastiness. theres no manufacturer name so im sure i wont be able to get a new coil for it to use as a back up so theres another $14 wasted. Everyone is super nice but it boggles my mind how I cant get the correct coil for my first tank. It seems like if i dont shop online or use a specific store every vape shop carries completely different products.

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
it looks exactly like that but its a knock off. I watched a video and it has no kanger markings, just said evod on the cardboard.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I don't suppose you have any friends that vape that might have a spare rebuildable tank or drip atomizer and about 12 inches of wire and a bit of cotton?
I have a RTA and 5 RDAs if you were handy I would lend ya one for a few days.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reminds me of the time I got me a Gillette Fusion handle just because I was sent Fusion blades by mistake.
Still like the Mach3 better :D

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well, since today is Saturday, new years eve day, shops SHOULD be open at least until 4 or 5 pm. I hate telling you to toss more money at it, but it might be better than buying smokes or going without until tuesday.
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Kangertech-TopTank-Mini-Tank-p/krsz60.htm
just the tank, not the kit. Tank will fit on the kit you already have.
Ask the shop owner for a couple feet of wire. They probably have some stock wire to build coils with. 3 feet is plenty. Just in case...
Hate saying it, but if you had that tank you would be vaping right now. It comes with 2 factory coils, 0.8 ohm and 0.5 ohm AND a rebuildable mini coil deck with 2 pre wrapped coils and cotton.
I've even made videos for forum members on how to build on that RBA mini and how to wick it properly. Hopefully, you can get one for around $20-$25 US.
Having a spare tank isn't as silly as it might sound at first. Maybe you want to go out someplace and can't pull a huge cloud off that baby beast, that kanger will let you sneak a little puff. Plus if something happens and one breaks you have the 2nd as back up. Beats vaping off a spoon with a bic lighter. (desperate times.. lol)
Not sure what the evod coils cost.. prob around $15-$20 for a 5 pack? Like my Grandma used to say.. In for a penny, in for a pound.
Sad part is, once you do get your new tank on Tuesday, you'll probably never use the evod again, unless you are in dire straights.
What is really funny about it.. is if a person broke the glass on that kanger tank, they could use it as an RDA by taking the top cap off the RBA and drilling a hole through a ejuice bottle cap. LOL. I've done it.. just to see if it would work.

This vid was done to show someone how to wick that tank. They already knew how to build coils and wick them, just needed help on this tank. You can prob skip ahead to 1:10 or so

Last edited:

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, since today is Saturday, new years eve day, shops SHOULD be open at least until 4 or 5 pm. I hate telling you to toss more money at it, but it might be better than buying smokes or going without until tuesday.
Ask the shop owner for a couple feet of wire. They probably have some stock wire to build coils with. 3 feet is plenty. Just in case...
Hate saying it, but if you had that tank you would be vaping right now. It comes with 2 factory coils, 0.8 ohm and 0.5 ohm AND a rebuildable mini coil deck with 2 pre wrapped coils and cotton.
I've even made videos for forum members on how to build on that RBA mini and how to wick it properly. Hopefully, you can get one for around $20-$25 US.
Having a spare tank isn't as silly as it might sound at first. Maybe you want to go out someplace and can't pull a huge cloud off that baby beast, that kanger will let you sneak a little puff. Plus if something happens and one breaks you have the 2nd as back up. Beats vaping off a spoon with a bic lighter. (desperate times.. lol)
Not sure what the evod coils cost.. prob around $15-$20 for a 5 pack? Like my Grandma used to say.. In for a penny, in for a pound.
Sad part is, once you do get your new tank on Tuesday, you'll probably never use the evod again, unless you are in dire straights.
What is really funny about it.. is if a person broke the glass on that kanger tank, they could use it as an RDA by taking the top cap off the RBA and drilling a hole through a ejuice bottle cap. LOL. I've done it.. just to see if it would work.
Ill probably just pick up a blu e cig to hold me over sun-mon ($8). I think this coil should last into tomorrow. Thank you for all the help. Youre right i probably wont use the evod. It was a desperation move to keep me off cigs. With the baby beast coming that'll make 2 tanks so i should be set. Any advice on how to get the most longevity out of a coil?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Ill probably just pick up a blu e cig to hold me over sun-mon ($8). I think this coil should last into tomorrow. Thank you for all the help. Youre right i probably wont use the evod. It was a desperation move to keep me off cigs. With the baby beast coming that'll make 2 tanks so i should be set. Any advice on how to get the most longevity out of a coil?
always prime them, and always start at low wattage. Sweeter juices clog the coils faster. You BEST bet, is getting a rebuildable atomizer. Pretty sure the baby beast comes with one. Single coils are really easy to build. I can do 2 claptons in under 10 minutes. Just takes practice. But think single coils to start.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
oh god.. I feel bad. You there suffering and me here trying to decide which RDA I want to put my new coils on.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
LOL Now I'm just playing...

You see this? Computer.. Vape.. coffee maker with whitener and sugar.. All I need is an empty water jug.. (OH look.. got one) and for my wife to toss a sandwich at me now and then.. I don't have to move for ANYTHING! Heh heh..

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

This vid was done to show someone how to wick that tank. They already knew how to build coils and wick them, just needed help on this tank. You can prob skip ahead to 1:10 or so

There you go again, suggesting something to a new vaper that is beyond what they are ready for, whats up with that?? From an Evod to building coils JHC

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't suppose you have any friends that vape that might have a spare rebuildable tank or drip atomizer and about 12 inches of wire and a bit of cotton?
I have a RTA and 5 RDAs if you were handy I would lend ya one for a few days.
oh god.. I feel bad. You there suffering and me here trying to decide which RDA I want to put my new coils on.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sorry about your coil problems. You'll love the Baby Beast I bought 3. The Q2 and the X4 coils have great flavor' haven't tried the T8 yet. It can be hard finding coils for a just released tank. B&M's are always higher cost and generally bad info. Good info here and ALWAYS prime a new coil.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
There you go again, suggesting something to a new vaper that is beyond what they are ready for, whats up with that?? From an Evod to building coils JHC
Maybe you should follow the entire thread here. The OP purchased a mod and tank. Sales person sold him the wrong coils. He went back to exchange them, but now the vendor was sold out of the correct coils, so the OP purchased the Evod, and burnt the coil. Since he couldn't get coils, he purchased a baby beast, which will not arrive until Tuesday. So 4 days between tank and coils. So now, today being New Years Eve day and everything closing early, just like every year, I offered that if he could get a loaner, I would HELP him build a coil and wick it. We aren't talking rocket science here, and not quadruple triple fused alien zipper coils. We are talking about a simple staple coil to get by with until his tank arrives. Unless of course, you think the members of this forum are to stupid to wrap a wire around a nail. Something I started doing when I was 8 years old and figured out how to straighten out a paper clip and make a spring by wrapping it around a 3 inch nail.
Building a coil is not some mythical ceremony, to be done only by village elders in a basement, while clad in black robes, by torch light with incense burning in a brazier, and chanting a mantra... Ohwenowbuildthecoil----oooommmmmm----OhwenowtwistawirearoudanAAAAiiiLLLL.... Ooooommmmm....
How about this.. It is quite a radical idea though.. Why don't we assume the members are 18 years of age or older, and have the legal and constitutional right to decide for themselves, if they want to try or not?
Here is a novel idea.. rather than making building a coil more intimidating.. why don't you say "Oh It's easy, Here, I'll teach you", and let the person decide for them self if they want to try or not.

And yes, I feel badly for this person. They go out and by the gear. Then have to return to the store again, to get a new coil. Rather than give him the coil he pointed out, the sales person sold him the wrong ones. So back he goes again, but now the right coils that he was going to buy are gone. So now he runs all over town to 5 other stores, just to find out that the coils he was going to buy are sold out of those shops too. So he buys a $14 evod to make do with. Then, because the vendor told him not to prime the coil.. bam. dry hit burnt coil. But by now it is past closing time, so he is vaping on a burnt coil, and now today, he has to make his 8th trip out to get new coils, again, until his tank comes on Tuesday. All this, he has gone through to get off cigarettes, and I have a spare tank sitting there, doing nothing, that, like I said, I could have loaned him until his came in.

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
went today to pick up a new coil for the evod. Showed them the pen, come home, coil does not fit... Now im $17+ gas down the drain. Ended up just throwing the thing away. Go to get the mail and what do you know my baby beast is here. Praise Jesus!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
definitly should of went with the big baby. im burning through this fluid but i love it.
Awesome!
I figured from our convo through the thread, that you would realize I wasn't trying to rush you into coil building, but if you were sitting there vapeless thinking about cigarettes until Tuesday.. well it gave you an option.
I'm pretty sure though, that with that tank you will be wanting to learn eventually. I know what the coils cost. LOL.

Oh and as to making the coils last longer, sweeter juices clog the coils faster. Aside from that.. don't burn them. When I first started vaping, i was using a vplum, similar to the evod. But when i went through $30 worth of coils in 2 weeks.. i decided to get a tank and learn to rebuild. LOL I used both the premade coils that were included,. vaped on them while learning to use the RBA and I still have them in a little baggie. I could toss them out but.. "I might need them some day". Maybe I will want to go out and use my tank and be out of wire. (not likely, I have close to 800 feet of it in my build box beside me) but i MIGHT run out..someday.. maybe... I..erm.. I MIGHT NEED THEM.

Do you know how satisfying it is, when your wife tells you to clean your junk out of the basement, that one day 3 years later when you actually use something you have hoarded and get to say "I TOLD YOU I MIGHT NEED THAT! See? I was right!"

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
definitly should of went with the big baby. im burning through this fluid but i love it.
Glad you like it. I was a little worried it might be to much to start with for you. LOL I've choked on a cloud a time or two myself. I had one build made for clouds.. I think I started growing gills, it was that thick.

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Glad you like it. I was a little worried it might be to much to start with for you. LOL I've choked on a cloud a time or two myself. I had one build made for clouds.. I think I started growing gills, it was that thick.
Im not saying it doesnt happen time to time, but my hacking usually has come while not smoking. I had the pleasure of being driven everywhere with a 3 pack a day smoker growing up, leaving restaurants because of being smoke free, and smoking camel filters since i was 17 now 1 month from 26. So you could say im well seasoned. But so far 1 week in and i love it. No cigs, i dont smell, my teeth arent nasty, ill of course enjoy a nice cigar from time to time but I see no reason to go back to cigs. Only negative is some friends and family are calling me a hipster now. I can live with that. The last one i had, i thought tasted like trash compared to these juices.I thought i was getting a rba in this pack but it didnt come with one. I will probably pick one up, i like tinkering with things (last year was rc helicopters, they break a lot). I just need to get a little more understanding of it before i go full bore. The guy at the shop told me not to adjust any of the settings, but ive been playing around with them. Doesn't seem overly complicated but i want to go slowly so i dont end up blowing off part of my money maker.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Building a coil is not some mythical ceremony, to be done only by village elders in a basement, while clad in black robes, by torch light with incense burning in a brazier, and chanting a mantra... Ohwenowbuildthecoil----oooommmmmm----OhwenowtwistawirearoudanAAAAiiiLLLL.... Ooooommmmm....

<SARCASM/JOKING/HUMOR>
Curse you! You are a blasphemous heretic what deserves being zapped with low grade current. How dare you say we do not wear black robes?
</SARCASM/JOKING/HUMOR>

:) You're quite correct, forgive my bit of humor above.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Im not saying it doesnt happen time to time, but my hacking usually has come while not smoking. I had the pleasure of being driven everywhere with a 3 pack a day smoker growing up, leaving restaurants because of being smoke free, and smoking camel filters since i was 17 now 1 month from 26. So you could say im well seasoned. But so far 1 week in and i love it. No cigs, i dont smell, my teeth arent nasty, ill of course enjoy a nice cigar from time to time but I see no reason to go back to cigs. Only negative is some friends and family are calling me a hipster now. I can live with that. The last one i had, i thought tasted like trash compared to these juices.I thought i was getting a rba in this pack but it didnt come with one. I will probably pick one up, i like tinkering with things (last year was rc helicopters, they break a lot). I just need to get a little more understanding of it before i go full bore. The guy at the shop told me not to adjust any of the settings, but ive been playing around with them. Doesn't seem overly complicated but i want to go slowly so i dont end up blowing off part of my money maker.
Good way to go.
Hipster eh? LOL.. there are a couple 70 or 80 yr olds in this forum that are gonna love that.
If you decide to go the rba route, give me a shout if you need help. I build coils as a hobby to help get off smoking. So many that I had to start buying my wire on 250 foot spools. LOL. And need to order 2 more, maybe 3. I want some 26,28, and 22 ga nichrome. Got to admit, my last attempt at a fused zippered clapton was a dismal failure. lol ended up with a knot. Mostly, i just do simple coils. Love them clouds. Regardless of what some people would like you to believe, building a coil isn't that hard. You ever straightened a paperclip and made a spring by winding it round a nail? Same thing different wire. I even made a brass spring for my mech mod 510 pin. Some suggested stainless steel, but brass has 1/3 the resistance. Copper is to soft.
I'm thinking I should make another crappy web cam video for you tube. Stripping down and reassembling a toptank mini. Lots of people having issue with those.

As long as you only use samsung, sony, or lg batteries, you won't blow anything off. Other brands, such as efest are factory 2nds that failed some quality control test. I avoid those. I won't say what I build at, but I will say I need batteries I can depend on. You're pretty safe with a regulated mod. With good batteries, the worst that can happen is if something fails and they do happen to short, they will heat up and eventually vent. Lots of time to dump them in the sink or on the lawn or whatever.

Anyway, glad you got that sorted and your tank came early. Vape on dude.
Crazy man, crazy.. (was that hipster or hippie? lol)

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another question concerning coils. The shop i purchased from told me to always hit new coil when it comes up on my screen even if its not new. Is this correct? What is the reason for or against?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Another question concerning coils. The shop i purchased from told me to always hit new coil when it comes up on my screen even if its not new. Is this correct? What is the reason for or against?
Sometimes, hitting new coil will make the atty stop asking every time it goes to power saving mode. Usually, it's a loose screw or dirty threads on the atty or it isn't tight.. something that makes the resistance change more than *0.05 ohms. *(on mine)

VU Sponsors