Become a Patron!

Wire questions

BareVN

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey there,

Im thinking about branching out on my wires...Ive only ever built with Kanthal and ive only used 24 and 26awg...currently i build with 26/32 awg clapton wire but after digging around and asking the right questions ive found that it may be the aurface area im missing out on.

Im thinking of getting some SS wire and probably the Flatwire...

What im wondering is, if im used to using Kanthal claptons at the mentione gauge is there a particular gauge i should be going for?

Is flat wire the same as ribbon? does it have a resistance change?

if im used to building at around 0.2 ohm dual coils @ 2mm ID, what gauge would I be aiming for with SS flatwire? I know theres a lot of variables but im trying to work out what builds ill be able to fit in without wasting the money first....

My first thought was 25awg SS flatwire @ 2.5 ID is 8wraps each for a dual build at .2 ohms...in my mind that seems a wide coil?

Id be building on a Goon 24 RDA / Mad Hatter V2 / Skyhook(meh)

does any of this make sense?

Xtaci

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Whilst I am not familiar with flatwire, I am familiar with stainless steel as opposed to kanthal. Flavor is definitely different, but the biggest change to me is the resistance. Any time I calculated for these coils I noticed that the resistance was half that of the kanthal! A .22 ohm dual fused clapton in kanthal would be a .11 ohm build with stainless steal.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If by flat wire you mean ribbon it's not really great for vaping with unless you stack it and build something with it.
It's very thin.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
No don't think he means that ...flat wire is more like the caterpillar track where a round wire is squeezed flat but not the the point of a ribbon at 0.1 ...example below

http://www.stealthvape.co.uk/index.php?route=mobile_store/product&product_id=476

Is has a round wire equivelant so you know which wires to select in steam engines wire wizard :)

So in answer to your question @BareVN they are different things check the link for the chart this company uses But wherever you buy your from should have a similar conversion table :)

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cat tracks are several round wires claptoned and forced flat. You don't actually change their shape or the wrap would break and it wouldn't look right.
Not really relevant to his post but I figured I'd let you know.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Cat tracks are several round wires claptoned and forced flat. You don't actually change their shape or the wrap would break and it wouldn't look right.
Not really relevant to his post but I figured I'd let you know.

Sorry I meant the look of them

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didn't know people actually bought the flattened wire. Basically you can just get round wire that's as thick as the flattened wire and coil it to the same width.
Until you start building with it there isn't alot you can to to increase performance. Flattening, twisting, braiding and all that stuff...you can just build a coil with equal surface area and mass with something else and get roughly the same performance.
The biggest cloud I've ever seen was made with a simple 24g build on a tube.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yeah agree don't imagine it would be easy to build with flattened wire other than using it for straight up simple coils or twisting it ...Could use it for cores I guess but I'd rather use round or ribbon in all honesty

Try it though Bare let us know how it goes I'll buy some myself if it's any good ;)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
SS316L has a lower resistance than kanthal so to try and stick with the resistance you're used to, you'll need to go higher gauge (thinner) on the ss316L. 24-26g kanthal would be more like 26 or 28-30g ss316L. Otherwise if you stick the to same size you might see your build drop from .5 to .35ohm (just as an example, don't take it literally).

Double check with steamengine, it should make things a lot easier. For instance I went to steamengine and plugged in a single coil (simple single wire, no twists or anything complex).

28g ss316L, 3.5mm inner diameter, 8mm leg length, 6 wraps comes out to .8 ohms.
28g kanthal a1, 3.5mm id, 8mm leg length, 6 wraps comes out to 1.55 ohms.

Trying to keep around the same number of wraps, same resistance it requires dropping the kanthal to 24-26g (24g 6 wraps works out to .7 ohms so pretty close).

VU Sponsors