Working for a living SUCKS!!! Post your job rants here

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lol. I live in the north though... Tipping is definitely expected up here it's just that certain people feel that they don't need to do it. I think it's more of a cultural thing/how people are being raised. In my household, we were taught to tip people as well as we can, especially if the service is good. It's just the right thing to do.

Agreed , business owners down here love the tourist who come down from the North because they told me they always tip and tip well . There's no excuse for not tipping a pizza delivery person well, especially if you live up in the Northeast .

By the way those comments i was told about don't apply to all the Southern people of course and has nothing to do with the character of the person , it's just a very different World .

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yep. I'm here in the Northeast (unfortunately) and the weather this time of year is horrid. It's been pretty tame compared to some winters we've had but it's still cold.
I always thought with that "Southern Hospitality" thing that they would tip. That's strange. My cousin lives in Tennessee and I've never heard her mention it... But then again, she lives near Dollywood (or whatever it's called) which is tourist heavy so maybe that's why.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Agreed , business owners down here love the tourist who come down from the North because they told me they always tip and tip well . There's no excuse for not tipping a pizza delivery person well, especially if you live up in the Northeast .

By the way those comments i was told about don't apply to all the Southern people of course and has nothing to do with the character of the person , it's just a very different World .
A young entrepreneur bought a Pizza Oven truck and parked it on the the shore of a lake I go Ice fishing on. His sister would run the pizza's out by snowmobile. She got great tips, but then all good things have to get fucked up by greed. The big boy's - Dominoes, Pizza Hut, and others tried to muscle their way in and the local county council banned the Pizza trucks and food trucks at the lake(s). This young Dude was looking at delivering Pizza's by drone. That would of been cool. Unfortunately the greed of big corporations killed it off.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A young entrepreneur bought a Pizza Oven truck and parked it on the the shore of a lake I go Ice fishing on. His sister would run the pizza's out by snowmobile. She got great tips, but then all good things have to get fucked up by greed. The big boy's - Dominoes, Pizza Hut, and others tried to muscle their way in and the local county council banned the Pizza trucks and food trucks at the lake(s). This young Dude was looking at delivering Pizza's by drone. That would of been cool. Unfortunately the greed of big corporations killed it off.

It seems all great ideas get ripped off eventually , once people know there's money to be made all hell breaks loose and it's kill or be killed . A drone delivering a pizza , awesome.

If a girl delivered me a pizza out on a lake where i was starving and freezing i would tip her more than the cost of the pie .

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Unfortunately people eventually ruin everything.

Yep , way too many people on this planet for sure , not every family needs to have 8 children , and another thing , get rid of these damn Octomom's for Gods sake .

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep. I'm here in the Northeast (unfortunately) and the weather this time of year is horrid. It's been pretty tame compared to some winters we've had but it's still cold.
I always thought with that "Southern Hospitality" thing that they would tip. That's strange. My cousin lives in Tennessee and I've never heard her mention it... But then again, she lives near Dollywood (or whatever it's called) which is tourist heavy so maybe that's why.

I was born and raised in the NE so i know the winters all too well , i think down south (not that horrid tv show , what a travesty that is) , anyways , i think it varies a great deal what part of the south your in . I think it's just a lot more accepted as the thing to do up in the NE States though.

Jobs pay a lot more up there , you know the toll booth collectors up where i used to live get paid around $20.00 an hour , ridiculous.

Work in NYC and you really get paid well .

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It seems all great ideas get ripped off eventually , once people know there's money to be made all hell breaks loose and it's kill or be killed . A drone delivering a pizza , awesome.

If a girl delivered me a pizza out on a lake where i was starving and freezing i would tip her more than the cost of the pie .

Yep, my older son did and took a shine to her. She's a Shit Kicking country girl. They are getting hitched in May of next year.:)

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep, my older son did and took a shine to her. She's a Shit Kicking country girl. They are getting hitched in May of next year.:)

Good for him, those girls are very loyal but plan for a lot of grandchildren lol.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good for him, those girls are very loyal but plan for a lot of grandchildren lol.
Won't phase me a bit. My wife is over the moon happy. She was actually looking at baby stuff when we went shopping last week(caught her big time!), no more kids for us (thank God, 2 were a challenge, still are).

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Don't have any kids but have nothing against them (except the ones that scream for no apparent reason for hours on end ) , those i can't handle i got to be honest . Every time i encounter one that just whines and whines it reminds me i made a good choice.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fuck...got to work this morning at the hospital...didnt even get a cup of coffee and I get a drop everything high priority call that the PACS system in Surgery OR8 lost network connectivity and the doctor, who is elbow deep in the patient can't view the images he needs...so I go up to Surgery, get the scrubs on and quietly slide into the OR while trying to not look at the opened up patient on the table (this happens quite a bit)...but of course it;'s like a train wreck...you cant help but look....ugggh....I check out the computer and there isnt any obvious problem with the settings...I get a hold of one of the network honchos and he tells me, oh yeah, we took down the old DNS server that all the PACS use and replaced it...and he gives me the new DNS settings...gee...wouldnt a memo have been nice? Idiots...now we are running all over the hospital and to all the remote facilities updating them as the tickets are rolling in...damn...

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I do not have a job...but an unpaid vocation that I love passionately.....however it puts me face to face with people that range from those that want or need help....to those who's only aim is to debate me to death. It can be so hard to like people...and I seldom do (shocking, I know)....but it just seems that I am the sole "corporate representative" for a company that seems to be under attack more than it is supported....and to a lesser extent...fully utilised! Odd how one can love a job where you get spoon fed anger and resentment seven days a week. Vent complete....thank you for your time, now back to your regularly scheduled programme.

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I honestly wish I could stay home and just vape all day that's how much I love it. We are not allowed to vape at work which is terrible

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I honestly wish I could stay home and just vape all day that's how much I love it. We are not allowed to vape at work which is terrible
bummer....where I work I vape all day....no one cares...my coworkers vape too...so does my boss...and I work at a hospital...go figure...
Of course we arent running around acting like fog machines...all it would take is acting like morons blowing clouds all over to get someone pissed and screw up a good thing...

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
bummer....where I work I vape all day....no one cares...my coworkers vape too...so does my boss...and I work at a hospital...go figure...
Of course we aren't running around acting like fog machines...all it would take is acting like morons blowing clouds all over to get someone pissed and screw up a good thing...

A local watering hole I used to go to allowed vaping, and then like all good things it got banned by the owner because a group of college age kids would come in and blast massive clouds from ultra low sub-ohm setups, never once thinking about how their actions would impact other vapers. Sometimes vapers are their own worst enemy.

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've honestly thought about asking my work if they could make us vapors at work a vape room. I know that's sad but it would be hella cool

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have thought all along thats it's the actual clouds that doom vaping in most work places . If these vape devices didn't release what appears to others as smoke i think they would be much more widely accepted.

Even though it's not smoke the problem is it looks like it to others , maybe an all pg mix would work i don't know. The good thing is it doesn't smell like analog smoke which instantly gives you away .

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All the Supervisors at The Recycling plant I work at Quit for different jobs. Without training in any of the new supervisors! Can You say ClusterF*&K

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I build frames for art.com

My bosses are all elbow rubbing and no elbow grease. They never fix what needs fixed and always try to lay the blame on someone. I had a piece come out the wrong size. Simply needed a setting adjusted. I taught myself how to do it by tinkering, but decided this time that I don't get paid enough to do the boss' job.

I told him that two types of moulding needed adjustment. First thing he says is "Did you put in the right code?"

I wanted to say "No shit, asshole! Call me stupid again, and I'll slap you so hard that your butt chin will be in your butt!"

Instead, I said "Yup" and he walked away to check his facebook.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Firstly, CNS is hardly a journalistic standard-bearer, and that article lacks proper context. Secondly, means-tested benefits says nothing about the recipients. It says a lot about the economy and the job market. We in the United States should not even need such things as food stamps (a means-tested benefit), but unfortunately, wages have not kept up with living expenses, and jobs aren't as widely available as they were during, say, the late nineties.
I've never had any problem finding a job even when the economy was in the tank I had two jobs. I think a lot of people have trouble finding the way from their couch to the door outside. Where the work is.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm pretty sure that quite a few amazon.com customers in the North East wont be getting their orders on time this week, maybe not next week either. Also a bunch of pissed off truck drivers waiting at the warehouse.

After the xmas season passed, work slowed down at the warehouse, which is normal. It slows down drastically for both inbound and outbound. Last week it was really slow for inbound. Management decides to send out a phone call to *all* inbound associates saying there is voluntary time off being offered on Friday, Sat, Sun, and Mon. No limit to the number of people that can take off. So, seeing how slow it had been, and figuring that there just wasn't much work, over half the shift didn't show up all four of those days (myself included, lol). Went in to work yesterday and found there was a backlog of nearly a million items and 38 trailers waiting to be unloaded. Hell, it wasn't even that bad during the holiday season. Really, The most trucks we ever had waiting during the holiday season was 28. ok, I know we kind of did it to ourselves, if we had gone in we wouldn't be so far behind. But, the management can also see what trucks are scheduled to come in so logically shouldn't have offered the entire shift free time off for 4 days. The real kicker, the management was going around on Sunday and even Monday still trying to find people who would take the time off despite that by Sunday anybody with their eyes open could clearly see that things were already well behind schedule.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like they were trying to meet a financial measurement for workers, going over would probably hurt their bonuses.

Dalton801

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I paint million dollar homes for Symphony Homes in Utah. I do enjoy seeing crazy floor plans and seeing a project come together, but for gods sake. My uncle doesn't get paid enough each house, (my uncle is my boss) to give everyone a pay we deserve. I get cut by razor sharp blades, and get my hands caked in paint and caulk, which I don't mind, all for low pay! I make more than 10 dollars an hour, but for Christ sakes, these house are fucking HUGE, and I put my blood and sweat into it for a low pay! God it's annoying, slowly creepin' toward that crew head position..

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like they were trying to meet a financial measurement for workers, going over would probably hurt their bonuses.

That did cross my mind shortly after posting.
They did the same thing at the end of the first quarter of last year. Think it was March we started to get into a backlog that grew and grew. Had gotten 7 days behind schedule with trucks and the company was only offering voluntary over time. Once April hit, mandatory over time for a few weeks to catch up.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Glad to have found this thread because I had a bad day today at work..

Me and a co-worker were talking with our boss after work today just shooting the stuff, and I was just hoping he'd notice the extra mile I took today and say something about it.
I worked very hard without breaking * we get three breaks * to go the extra mile
and my co-worker just kept it in " low gear " all day not really doing much at all. My boss says to my co-worker " I am glad you bought new pants! "
and said nothing about the extra stuff that took me nearly all day to do... that wasn't even my job.. it's the co-workers job.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Me and a co-worker were talking with our boss after work today just shooting the stuff, and I was just hoping he'd notice the extra mile I took today and say something about it.
I worked very hard without breaking * we get three breaks * to go the extra mile
and my co-worker just kept it in " low gear " all day not really doing much at all. My boss says to my co-worker " I am glad you bought new pants! "
and said nothing about the extra stuff that took me nearly all day to do... that wasn't even my job.. it's the co-workers job.

steal his pants. ;)

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
steal his pants. ;)

Maybe his pants have already stolen me !
88863_big.jpg

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Lemme ask something here....

Why did you do your co-workers work?

Seems to me, it makes him look good, not you.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I can't speak for jhs, but for me, I'll go WAY out of my way to make sure MY work is kosher.
even if it means re-doing a fellow Co workers work.
even though I spend the majority of my week with my Co workers, they aren't the ones that sign my checks and they damn sure aren't the ones that I'm out to impress..
I don't really care who gets credit as long as it comes out right and the client is happy.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you have to do or redo a co-workers work, I'd be DAMN sure the bosses know.

Some might say it's throwing them under the bus. Guarantee the bosses generally don't/won't know who is doing what. The co worker looks good, and they will likely suspect you are slacking off.

If a co-worker is a screw up and a slacker, they should be ratted out. Screw them. You have to take care of you. No on else will look out for you, but you.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I work for one of the biggest public universities in the U.S. but I work in the ecology department which gets dick for funding. I just spent the last three days in Oklahoma trying to fix shit that could have been bought ready to go instead of me having to try to make things out of spare parts. I got it partially working and get to go out and try again tomorrow......

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Because he was just walking around not doing anything.
My boss comes around daily and keeps an eye on everyone, its not like he had no idea who had did it.

I can't speak for jhs, but for me, I'll go WAY out of my way to make sure MY work is kosher.
even if it means re-doing a fellow Co workers work.
even though I spend the majority of my week with my Co workers, they aren't the ones that sign my checks and they damn sure aren't the ones that I'm out to impress..
I don't really care who gets credit as long as it comes out right and the client is happy.

Exactly ! If your attitude it not geared at least somewhat towards the customers or the bosses satisfaction then I think it's time you think about why you are there in the first place.

WKR

Member For 4 Years
Piss and whine!!! If you don't like your job get a new one or try something different!!! Come to Texas we have plenty of good careers. Oh yeah you better be a conservative because we SHOOT liberals!!

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because he was just walking around not doing anything.
My boss comes around daily and keeps an eye on everyone, its not like he had no idea who had did it.

Exactly ! If your attitude it not geared at least somewhat towards the customers or the bosses satisfaction then I think it's time you think about why you are there in the first place.
Piss and whine!!! If you don't like your job get a new one or try something different!!! Come to Texas we have plenty of good careers. Oh yeah you better be a conservative because we SHOOT liberals!!
From what I hear, you Also shoot anyone with a tan that might happen to cross an invisible line drawn by racists....
Heaven forbid an immigrant should call the US home...

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What a DB.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Piss and whine,...
if an illegal can come here and fuck you out of a job then maybe you need to step your game up.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It seems that it's a lot easier to play the race card then to actually do the work and do it right.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
can i get an illegal alien to go to work for me today? please?

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
no habla ingles

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
"trabajo" instead, perhaps?

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Piss and whine,...
if an illegal can come here and fuck you out of a job then maybe you need to step your game up.
This happends because they dont pay taxes, or insurance. Most legit people cant compete with someone who is willing to work for almost nothing. The problem isnt the illegals... its the people hiring them. Its not a level playing field.

VU Sponsors