Become a Patron!

Yet another noob diy juice question!

MWood_uk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Firstly, hi everyone.
Long time reader first time poster.

Little about me now, i'll try and keep it short... Been vaping about 2 years now (mate wanted to quit at work so went down the 'I'll get one too and help' route), skipped the 'ecigs' and went straight to sub ohm with an xcube II and tfv4 tank and haven't looked back since!
I now have a collection of 20ish rda's genuine and clone, 2 tanks, 6 rdta's, 7 vw/vv/tc mods and a couple of diy vw mods, not really had any interest in the mech mods though (closest I have is a kanger squonk box)
I have a very sensative/funny taste and out of the entire stock at my local shop only find 2 flavours of juice that are palatable
Kraken - Squid ink
An occasional vape, no more than 10ml at a time
Elements - watermelon chill
Any time anywhere, I go through this like water!

Which leads to why I'm trying to persevere with diy juice, and also to my questions.... (thanks for making it this far without looking at something else)

1. Cost, it would be considerably cheaper going back to tobacco at this point.
2. My local store is no longer stocking these 2 flavours (I already bought the last 100ml stock of elements wc)

I'm currently mixing max vg, flavours and nic are pg base but using 100%vg base. I'm struggling along trying to clone watermelon chill, trial and error but not getting anywhere fast tbh!

Onto my questions (woo finally)

1. I vape at 3mg nic but when I mix at that level it's like using 12-18mg, blows my head off. Reduced to 2mg mix and I get a buzz (still too strong) So I'm currently mixing at 1.5mg which tastes about right!
I'm using 72mg nic concentrate stood in warm water and shaken very well before use. Is this normal for diy to seem stronger than shop bought?

2. The watrrmelon seems very bitter more like a rind taste rather than the red fleshy taste, the menthol is just about dialed in but is not the right menthol flavour (that's just a case of finding the righy brand menthol i know)
Im using tfa watermelon candy and tfa menthol, so far I'm down to 10% watermelon and 5% menthol.
Anyone have any suggestions to eliminate some of the trial and error from my frustrations?

Ideally I don't want to add anything to sweeten the mix as I don't greatly like my juice overly sweet + I'm hypersensitive to artificial sweetener. It just tastes like I'm chewing aspirin!!

If you made it this far thank you so much for taking the time but Im getting to the point my diy juice career just feels like :headbang:

Ps.
I've been steeping all my trial batches, my first is 4 months old now and still tastes like the same brand of weedkiller it did at 2 days!
My supplies came from a reputable and recommended diy juice vendor and I've even tried the vg straight up, flavourless taste with a very, very slight hint of creamy sweetness (as best I can describe it)

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello l am from the UK too. Welcome to VU.:wave:. just saying hello. Don't diy yet. Help with your questions will be on the way. See you around.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The watrrmelon seems very bitter more like a rind taste rather than the red fleshy taste

Some people claim that LA Watermelon is quite good compared to others.
I suspect you're gonna need to try out several different brands to find the one/s you like best.
BTW you can also mix the different brands together.
Add a little sweetness with:
0.5% FA Marshmallow
0.5% FA Meringue
0.5% TFA Pear
(won't distort the flavor profile or cause fading like the artificial sweeteners do)

5% Menthol seems quite high but I don't like it so really don't know for sure.
Just seems like it would mess with the Watermelon taste too much.
Koolada may be another useful additive to try instead of the Menthol.
Quite strong too IMO, only need a drop or two in 15ml IMO

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If 3MG is blowing you head off just how much of that 72MG base are you using in how large of a mix? Just curious if you calculating it correctly or measuring it correctly.

Good Luck and Vape On Safely

MWood_uk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks dude:wave:

More info my setup if it's any help ...
Day vape
0.30 - 0.44 Ohm 26/32ga dual spaced clapton
50 - 60w on Cuboid, RX200 or eVic VT
Rta coil head on Cleito Aspire tank, air 25-75% open.

MWood_uk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If 3MG is blowing you head off just how much of that 72MG base are you using in how large of a mix? Just curious if you calculating it correctly or measuring it correctly.

Good Luck and Vape On Safely

10ml tester:
8.1ml - 81% vg
1.0ml - 10% melon
0.5ml - 5% menthol
0.4ml - 4% nic

1.0ml syringe
5.0ml syringe

Psyc

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
instead of menthol you could try tfa koolada, I also like there watermelon better than watermelon candy.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well it looks like the correct amount of nicotine. But I wasn't there! LOL

Good Luck finding the sweet spot!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Maybe try cutting the watermelon to 5%, use koolada instead of menthol, at 1 or 2 drops max per 10ml final mix. Adding a small amount of a berry might bump up the watermelon taste for you.

MWood_uk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Typical... 'make my vape' don't have Koolada or watermelon!

Ebay wins again, buy 3 get 1 free on tfa:
Koolada
Watermelon
Strawberry
Strawberry Ripe

I keep reading strawberry menthol is a pretty good vape so will give that a bash sometime!

I'll try cutting to 5% watermelon candy while I'm waiting on the post to arrive! I was trying to keep the % up with the max vg not carrying the flavours as well, kept reading about upping the flavour when mixing just vg base!

Thanks for the advice guys :D
I'll report back with how I get on.

MWood_uk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some people claim that LA Watermelon is quite good compared to others.
I suspect you're gonna need to try out several different brands to find the one/s you like best.
BTW you can also mix the different brands together.
Add a little sweetness with:
0.5% FA Marshmallow
0.5% FA Meringue
0.5% TFA Pear
(won't distort the flavor profile or cause fading like the artificial sweeteners do)

5% Menthol seems quite high but I don't like it so really don't know for sure.
Just seems like it would mess with the Watermelon taste too much.
Koolada may be another useful additive to try instead of the Menthol.
Quite strong too IMO, only need a drop or two in 15ml IMO

Sorry dude, only just noticed your post! My bad.:facepalm:

I've read a lot about using tfa Cotton Candy to tweak the sweetness without using sweetener concentrates too. I will definatley try the LA watermelon, marshmallow and meringue.
Will skip the pear though, with my stupid taste buds pear flavourings seem to resemble paint thinners more than a fruit! I really like pear too! Damn my weird taste :blech:

MWood_uk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Quick update on testers now, these were just shaken for a few mins and Vaped.
Changed wick and washed rda between samples...

5% watermelon candy / 4% menthol
Much smoother melon taste, still a bitter rind taste but not as bad.
Although there was now an overwhelming chemical 'surgical spirit' like taste which I atribute to the menthol!

3% watermelon candy / 1% menthol
Watermelon taste smoother again, less rind like but still a heavy rock melon (cantaloupe) like taste, not the delicate flavour im looking for. Chemical taste still notable but considerably reduced definatley the menthol that is the problem! no noticeable actual 'menthol' taste either though. Slight menthol cool at back of throat (like I ate a mint 15mins ago)

2% watermelon candy / 0.5% menthol
Think the menthol is a waste at this point, other than an exercise in measuring out 0.05ml
Melon has no noticeable change in flavour other than the strength of flavour has reduced slightly...

I will leave these to steep whilst waiting on my new flavours to arrive, and swap menthol for the koolada as suggested. Probably knock up a few batches with the plain watermelon too for comparison!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
other than an exercise in measuring out 0.05ml
It might be easier, if you do want to try that, mix 1ml in 9ml of pg, then use it at 0.5% as you would any flavoring. My math may be wrong on the 0.5%, I'm in a semi food coma, but you get the gist. 10% ratios dilutions are common for those of us that find some flavors simply tooooo strong.

MWood_uk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I found this, but I've never had the juice so I can't say how accurate it is.
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/13243/Watermelon+Chill+%2812mg%29

Sounds pretty promising, I believe there is a slight Peppermint kick to the elements liquid, I wouldnt have thought there would be additional sweetener in it though as it's quite a light dry taste and the coil takes forever to gunk up.

I will definatley put this recipe in my notebook for when I feel more confident to mix lots of flavours.

Thanks for finding this, much appreciated :thanks:

MWood_uk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It might be easier, if you do want to try that, mix 1ml in 9ml of pg, then use it at 0.5% as you would any flavoring. My math may be wrong on the 0.5%, I'm in a semi food coma, but you get the gist. 10% ratios dilutions are common for those of us that find some flavors simply tooooo strong.

I know what you mean, :facepalm: never occurred to pre-dilute the flavour first... makes so much sense now you said it lol

I just opted to switch to the average guide of 2 drops from needle bottle = 0.1ml

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds pretty promising, I believe there is a slight Peppermint kick to the elements liquid, I wouldnt have thought there would be additional sweetener in it though as it's quite a light dry taste and the coil takes forever to gunk up.

I will definatley put this recipe in my notebook for when I feel more confident to mix lots of flavours.

Thanks for finding this, much appreciated :thanks:
Well, keep in mind that some mixers put sweetener in everything, I guess because they think they have to. Most of our flavorings are sweet enough on their own without EM, sucralose and all that. Vendor juices usually contain a ton of it.
I'll mix anyone's recipe as written on the first try, but I usually end up dropping the sweeteners on the second round. ;)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, keep in mind that some mixers put sweetener in everything, I guess because they think they have to. Most of our flavorings are sweet enough on their own without EM, sucralose and all that. Vendor juices usually contain a ton of it.
I'll mix anyone's recipe as written on the first try, but I usually end up dropping the sweeteners on the second round. ;)
Agreed. After tasting some vendor juices, since starting DIY, it's amazing we ever tasted anything besides a sweetener. I think DIY helps your taste buds come back to life.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
...and swap menthol for the koolada as suggested.

A fine idea!

Since they each provide a different profile to a mix, it might turn out that you may prefer using a bit of both.

Ron
---
“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” – Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm. I personally mix watermelon FA and watermelon INW together in my mixes. That's just my personal favorite.

Watermelon candy cap seems to be the go to. But if you really love watermelon. Try adding some FA, or INW, or even medicinal flower to it.

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
IMHO mix 2/1 2parts tfa watermelon and 1part LA watermelon .5 fw strawberry ripe . The strawberry adds body

MWood_uk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well my new tfa flavours were in the post box when I got home....

Must say thanks to you guys I have produced something that is now vapeable! Woo

8% TFA watermelon
5% TFA koolada
2% TFA menthol
0.5% TFA strawberry

I almost used strawberry ripe but it smelt like sweetshop strawberry laces to me (fake strawberry) and thought that might have been overpowering with the melon!
Will try it on another test mix since you guys suggested it!
Will knock up a 20ml batch to tonight with nic added, let it steep and give it a shot one day next week!

It's by no means anywhere near watermelon chill clone, but it's start think there is definatley Peppermint needs adding, anyone suggest a good clean Peppermint flavour for my next flavour order?

So far on my shopping list:
LA watermelon
LA marshmallow
LA meringue
INW watermelon

Ps. Got some Zeus juice for giggles based onreviews and a lot of raves by some local vape heads...
The black, Poseidion and Sour apple

The black is pretty decent, bit sweet for an all day vape for me.
Poseidon jury is still out on that atm
Sour apple.... I think some of these reviewers have no taste buds or I need to see a doctor about mine! Tasted like my first diy attempt weedkiller with a hint of apple instead of melon! That's headed for the bin lol

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well my new tfa flavours were in the post box when I got home....

Must say thanks to you guys I have produced something that is now vapeable! Woo

8% TFA watermelon
5% TFA koolada
2% TFA menthol
0.5% TFA strawberry

I almost used strawberry ripe but it smelt like sweetshop strawberry laces to me (fake strawberry) and thought that might have been overpowering with the melon!
Will try it on another test mix since you guys suggested it!
Will knock up a 20ml batch to tonight with nic added, let it steep and give it a shot one day next week!

It's by no means anywhere near watermelon chill clone, but it's start think there is definatley Peppermint needs adding, anyone suggest a good clean Peppermint flavour for my next flavour order?

So far on my shopping list:
LA watermelon
LA marshmallow
LA meringue
INW watermelon

Ps. Got some Zeus juice for giggles based onreviews and a lot of raves by some local vape heads...
The black, Poseidion and Sour apple

The black is pretty decent, bit sweet for an all day vape for me.
Poseidon jury is still out on that atm
Sour apple.... I think some of these reviewers have no taste buds or I need to see a doctor about mine! Tasted like my first diy attempt weedkiller with a hint of apple instead of melon! That's headed for the bin lol
Lower your watermelon to about 2% then add like .75 - 1% Strawberry.
IMHO mix test mixes in 10ml or smaller to save materials.

MWood_uk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just been looking for LA flavours on the Google box and come across a couple of posts/recipes about LorAnn.
Has a warning saying it's not ideal for vaping as it's a food flavoring oil!

Is this the wrong stuff?
Plus I can't find any UK sellers, and it all seems to have daft shipping prices!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just been looking for LA flavours on the Google box and come across a couple of posts/recipes about LorAnn.

Is this the wrong stuff?
Plus I can't find any UK sellers, and it all seems to have daft shipping prices!
Not all Lorann's are oil based. The ones that are state it on the label, like "orange oil" and such.

http://bestvaporflavors.com/best-lorann-oils-vaping/

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Is this the wrong stuff?
I you can't find it for easy shipping, you're not losing out on too much. They do have a couple good flavors, certainly, but you can certainly find a broader range of easier to find ones.

BackWoodz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you are getting any kind of bitter,sour and rind taste with mixing fruit flavors or using multiple flavors. You may want to grab a little bottle of magic mask to play with. A good starting point would be 1 drop per 5ml mixed. I don't vape fruit blends but I have plenty friends that do, so most of the time I am using it to fix their vendor juice they grabbed from a gas station on the fly. So I can vouch that it helps.

MWood_uk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey vapers....
Well i hadn't vanished off the face of the earth!

I said i would update this post when i eventually got somewhere, so i have some good and bad news.

Firstly the bad news:
The Elements watermelon chill clone i was trying to achieve. Yea, well that's just died a death!
I just couldn't seem to get anywhere remotely close, or even all day vape 'similar' every batch i tried was just :deadhorse:.

Now for the good news:
I had been batching away for a little while and have come up with a couple (of similar) juice flavours, one of which has been my all day vape for the last month now!
I have even had that much interest in the flavours at work that i am now selling around 120ml a week to work colleagues (not to shabby for 6 months into diy juice!)

These are my original recipes, with the inspiration coming from a work mate giving me a taste of my childhood one day with some hard to find biscuits!

So here are the recipes for you guys:

Coconut Cookies,
5% - Coconut - CAP
3% - Sugar cookie v2 - CAP
2% - Cookie - FA
1% - Coconut - TFA
1mg - Nic
Steeped for 2 weeks min.
(Swap round the % of coconut flavours for a more instant coconut with biscuit taste... or vise-versa)

A light biscuit taste with a coconut aftertaste on the exhale, very reminiscent of Nice (Neece) biscuits!
The biscuit taste increases as the coil starts to warm up more. A good clean all day vape, not too sweet and not too dry... just right!
Running on aspire tank 50-60w - 0.3ohm - dual 26ga clapton on the rba deck.

As my 'guinea pig' workmate has a sweeter taste, and doesn't greatly like coconut i tweaked the recipe for his taste and came up with this one, and hes been buying it off me ever since!
Cookie Dough,
5% - Sugar cookie v2 - CAP
3% - Cookie - FA
2% - Cotton Candy - TFA
1% - Condensed Milk - FA
1mg - Nic
Steeped for 4 weeks min.
Seems to need this long to steep as the condensed milk flavour is way to overpowering and sickly until it has mellowed!
After that even i can manage this one, more of a sweeter evening vape for myself but still much dryer taste than over the counter juices!

I'm now about to try a strawberry's and cream, and a forest fruits and custard or something along those lines... just waiting on my next stack of flavours to arrive!:vapemail:

If any of you guys try these flavours, please let me have your feedback!

Happy vaping peeps

Last edited:

MalooGaming

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
10ml tester:
8.1ml - 81% vg
1.0ml - 10% melon
0.5ml - 5% menthol
0.4ml - 4% nic

1.0ml syringe
5.0ml syringe
Cactus concentrates can help make the watermelon more juicy, more more base pg to help carry the flavour?

VU Sponsors