Become a Patron!

Yet another starter kit advice request

Hi guys, new here, awesome forums.

I've gone through a bunch of request threads but I'm still a bit confused by all the options and etc. I'm a long-time heavy smoker (1.5 packs/day), just started on a new job where I'm not allowed to have tobacco or even a lighter on the premises. Thankfully vaping is allowed and someone gave me their old Green Smoke and a box of cartridges, so I'm barely surviving. The Green Smoke cartridges don't seem to be available at all so once I run through this box I'm SOOL.

Anyway, I need some advice regarding a complete starter kit, with a rechargeable tank and a spare battery. A USB/power outlet/car cigarette lighter recharger would be a big plus. I'm on a bit of a budget, so I'd appreciate something in the sub $100 range. Not currently interested in modding, if I ever get into that I can get equipment new.

I'm currently living in Mexico, and selection is here is quite limited and expensive. I plan to order online and have it delivered to my sister in the US, who can bring it to me when she visits in a couple of weeks. Links to a reputable online store that carries the suggested kit would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use the istick 20, but for the money difference the istick 30 is now a better choice, with a Nautilus mini . This is a good place you can trust to buy them. You should also get an extra glass and a 5 pack of replacement coils. Should still be under a $100.
http://www.rockbottomvapes.com/specials/
For juice I use Heartlandvapes. Get the sample pack of bottles or if you know what you want get the BIG bottles
http://wholesale.heartlandvapes.com/bulk-eliquid.html 250ml for $20
http://wholesale.heartlandvapes.com/sampler-bottled.html 10ml samples 20 for $25

Two votes for the iStick, then. The price difference is significant (especially since I think I need two batteries) but I wouldn't mind spending the extra money if the kit is that much better. What are the advantages of the iStick compared to the Kanger Evod? Re coils, how long can I expect them to last?

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm gonna throw in another vote for the istick + nautilus mini. Just a rock solid first kit perfect for a beginner. Reliable, great vapor and easy to maintain.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used to carry two or three "stick" batteries, but with the iStick it last me all day long.
I still carry a spare "stick" battery and Smoktech tank, but have not had to use it since November.
I started using the Aspire Nautilus mini since November and have had one coil fail and broke the tank glass once. With my old Smoktech tank I was replacing the coil about every 10 days. I have had the Nautilus give reduced air flow, I have found that taking a paper clip and carefully pushing it into the coil will unblock the coil.

iStick 30 it is, then. I need to buy the Aspire Nautilus mini tank (and spare coils) separately, correct? Do they make an unbreakable version?

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you can get past having a dong pointed at your mouth the stainless is the way to go!

Thanks again for all the advice. It seems this is definitely the winning combination. Still a few questions, though:

Is there a functional difference between the Aspire Nautilus and the Aspire Nautilus Mini beyond size/capacity?

Tentative shopping list:

iStick 30
Aspire Nautilus or Nautilus Mini
Stainless replacement tank for the above
Spare coils
Juice

Is that complete or do I need more stuff?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks again for all the advice. It seems this is definitely the winning combination. Still a few questions, though:

Is there a functional difference between the Aspire Nautilus and the Aspire Nautilus Mini beyond size/capacity?

Tentative shopping list:

iStick 30
Aspire Nautilus or Nautilus Mini
Stainless replacement tank for the above
Spare coils
Juice

Is that complete or do I need more stuff?
Spare coils for the Nautilus - make sure you get BVC coils!) I have both, and for some reason I find the flavor slightly better in the mini.

TIM JOHNSON

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree with the I stick 20 or 30 and Nautilus or Nautilus Mini. I started a new job about 4 months ago and was the only person that was vaping. We now have about 10 people Vaping and most of these people have had success by skipping the ego style going to Nautilus and MVP 2 or MVP 20. I personally have an I stick 50 and love it. I also share my e juice with co workers and get some input on my DIY flavors at the same time. 5 ml sample bottles ;).

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Nautilus comes with BDC (bottom dual coil) heads, the mini comes with the newer BVC (bottom vertical coil) heads. They are interchangeable, so get the BVC coils as spares if you go with the full size nautilus. Other than that the only real difference is size/juice capacity, airflow is pretty much the same.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The istick 30 or 50 is definately a better choice than the 20. Also, with that battery you only need one. Your tentative list looks good.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah as has been said the istick 30 is a great starter battery, it's got an internal 2200 mah battery (no need for a separate charger) and pass through charging (so you can vape and charge it at the same time!) I wish I had gotten one as my first setup! Good luck :D

Thanks guys! I've ordered the iStick 30, Nautilus Mini, stainless/glass combination tank and spare coils. I also asked my sister to pick up a variety of high nicotine juices, apparently she has friends who vape who'll help her pick some good high nicotine juices for me to try.

Thanks again!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
...Re coils, how long can I expect them to last?...
The life depends a lot on the juice. I had coil heads lasting 3-4 days, and 2-3 weeks.

Guess, you're next question will be, how can I tell when I need to change the coil. It's fairly simple. Usually, over time, the color of the juice in your tank is getting darker. This is due to the wicks are getting chared and the coil itself gummed up. Of course, the flavor will be different as well. I usually noticed a "toasty/burned" flavor. You also want to change your coil, when switching flavors. Although, sometimes you can do without changing coils, in case the next flavor is much stronger.

Kay_Fun!

Mad Scientist
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Be careful on the nic level- you are going to get a lot of vapor from that combo, and if your juice has high nic you will end up coughing and nauseous instead of enjoying. I don't recommend over 12mg, but 6mg would be better.

VU Sponsors