Become a Patron!

Your actual nicotine intake per day?

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was just sitting around vaping after work, as I usually do, when I randomly got curious about my actual nicotine intake. Easy enough to figure out. Just take the Nic MG of the juice you vape and multiply it by the amount of MLs you vape per day. So for me, I vape 3mg nic, usually around 15ml a day. Im taking in about 45mg of nicotine per day.

Now once I figured that out, I wondered how that compared to my intake when I was smoking. Now, my cigarette smoking was a little odd. I would buy Newport 100s, and then smoke halfs at a time, making each cigarette last me 2 smoke sessions. If I was smoking shorts Id smoke a pack to a pack and a quarter a day, but with getting the longer ones and doin halves, Id smoke about half a pack to 15 per day. Now, cigarettes average about 1mg of nicotine each (based on my quick google reasearch), so I was probably only taking in around 15mg nicotine a day on cigarettes.

So, since starting vaping, my actual nicotine intake has TRIPLED! I found that fact kind of surprising.

So now Im curious if Im the minority, or if most vapers have upped their nicotine intake since switching from the analogs. So how about you?

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was just sitting around vaping after work, as I usually do, when I randomly got curious about my actual nicotine intake. Easy enough to figure out. Just take the Nic MG of the juice you vape and multiply it by the amount of MLs you vape per day. So for me, I vape 3mg nic, usually around 15ml a day. Im taking in about 45mg of nicotine per day.

Now once I figured that out, I wondered how that compared to my intake when I was smoking. Now, my cigarette smoking was a little odd. I would buy Newport 100s, and then smoke halfs at a time, making each cigarette last me 2 smoke sessions. If I was smoking shorts Id smoke a pack to a pack and a quarter a day, but with getting the longer ones and doin halves, Id smoke about half a pack to 15 per day. Now, cigarettes average about 1mg of nicotine each (based on my quick google reasearch), so I was probably only taking in around 15mg nicotine a day on cigarettes.

So, since starting vaping, my actual nicotine intake has TRIPLED! I found that fact kind of surprising.

So now Im curious if Im the minority, or if most vapers have upped their nicotine intake since switching from the analogs. So how about you?
See thats a tricky subject, from all I've read you absorb much less nicotine from vaping vs smoking somewhere in the magnitude of 50-60% so you can cut that 45mg in half at least. Again I might be wrong but it's because your lungs don't do a very good job of absorbing the much larger vapor particles as they do smoke which takes the form of much smaller more readily absorbed particles. The mouth also absorbs nicotine better/faster so mtl vapors get a higher percentage of absorption, how much exactly though I haven't a clue.
Also don't discard the tar ect that's in analogs that's not in juice which you need to compensate for somehow. I'd be surprised is your actual intake is too much higher than when you smoked after its all said and done.

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Myth, you have too much time on your hands, you ought to take up a hobby, have you ever tried vaping or DIY so you can really absorb more nicotine when it spills and shit....just a thought....

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
See thats a tricky subject, from all I've read you absorb much less nicotine from vaping vs smoking somewhere in the magnitude of 50-60% so you can cut that 45mg in half at least. Again I might be wrong but it's because your lungs don't do a very good job of absorbing the much larger vapor particles as they do smoke which takes the form of much smaller more readily absorbed particles. The mouth also absorbs nicotine better/faster so mtl vapors get a higher percentage of absorption, how much exactly though I haven't a clue.
Also don't discard the tar ect that's in analogs that's not in juice which you need to compensate for somehow. I'd be surprised is your actual intake is too much higher than when you smoked after its all said and done.
I've heard the same.

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a question, do you get amped or insomnia when you vape late night? I vape 6nic and someone told me nicotine is a stimulant, does this happen to anyone else? When I heard this I bought some 0nic to vape at night. You ever get that feeling or is it just me?

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a question, do you get amped or insomnia when you vape late night? I vape 6nic and someone told me nicotine is a stimulant, does this happen to anyone else? When I heard this I bought some 0nic to vape at night. You ever get that feeling or is it just me?
This is sort of tricky since everyone is different. By definition nicotine is a stimulant however larger doses will in fact have a relaxing effect to a lot of people, its one of the reason if you don't vape for a while and then get your fix you feel better, and most definitely calmer, not only because your getting for nicotine fix but because the high dose does relax you. There's some articles on it but I'll be damned if I can find a good one.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kind of like the guy who takes a stimulant and falls asleep huh.....

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Lol not really the actual therapeutic effect of the nicotine is relaxation based on the way it acts on the dopamine receptors in your brain.

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well my brain is so doped up from the 80's, 90's that it doesn't know what to do...thank God I quit that shit...

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kind of like the guy who takes a stimulant and falls asleep huh.....

Isnt that the principal behind ritalin and adderall? Idk. But I did meet a guy when I went on "vacation" who was a **** addict, and he said he would do **** and go to sleep. Crazy shit, but the way he acted sober made me think it was definitely true. He was a HUGE guy, like 6' 6", 350lbs and he was so wired up he would just always he moving and bouncing around and shaking and talking that youd swear that he was on **** then and there if you didnt know for 100% fact that he wasnt.

Guy was a big, dumb, Lennyesque kind of guy, who was redneck to shit and ugly as hell, but when his wife came to visit him we were all blown away because she was a 8.5 easy, probably a 9. Just....damn.

I dont know why I felt the need to say all that...but thats for letting me share. Keep coming back, it works.

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Isnt that the principal behind ritalin and adderall? Idk. But I did meet a guy when I went on "vacation" who was a **** addict, and he said he would do **** and go to sleep. Crazy shit, but the way he acted sober made me think it was definitely true. He was a HUGE guy, like 6' 6", 350lbs and he was so wired up he would just always he moving and bouncing around and shaking and talking that youd swear that he was on **** then and there if you didnt know for 100% fact that he wasnt.

Guy was a big, dumb, Lennyesque kind of guy, who was redneck to shit and ugly as hell, but when his wife came to visit him we were all blown away because she was a 8.5 easy, probably a 9. Just....damn.

I dont know why I felt the need to say all that...but thats for letting me share. Keep coming back, it works.
That is the basis for ritalin, my son was on That before we knew what our was, we being society, before you knew it house wives were stealing their kids drugs and snorting the shit. Then they looked for alternatives... big cycle of life, it will come around again, always does. Fuck dude I can't sleep and I'm vaping 0 nic.....makes me wired like I'm almost tweaking, hate this shit!

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea, I do, often. I already have some predisposition to anxiety and shit anyways, and vaping definitely sets it off sometimes when Im chain vaping, which is always. Id say almost everyday Ill get a little jittery, sweaty, hot/cold flashes, all that along with feeling like Im about to drop dead any second/impending sense of doom/panic attacks. It sucks, but I do it to myself. I do want to cut back a little on how much I vape.

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea, I do, often. I already have some predisposition to anxiety and shit anyways, and vaping definitely sets it off sometimes when Im chain vaping, which is always. Id say almost everyday Ill get a little jittery, sweaty, hot/cold flashes, all that along with feeling like Im about to drop dead any second/impending sense of doom/panic attacks. It sucks, but I do it to myself. I do want to cut back a little on how much I vape.
Yeah fuck I guess i do do it to myself. It's like the dope I did, I can stop IF I want and when I want, shit I bought so much vape gear this weekend it's crazy, wow I'm powerless over vaping and it's going to make my life unmanageable if I'm not careful. Big eye opener bro, thanks for listening....

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Going to try to catch some sleep b4 the alarm clock rings...thanks again bro

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel you there, with my insomnia I always try to cut off before bed or else I get weird anxiety symptoms like palpitations but I never do lol.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Unless you've inhaled 100% of the smoke from the cigs and held it in until 100% of the smoke was absorbed by you're lungs, you didn't get 15mg of nicotine from the cigs. Nicotine is being lost to the environment any time you exhale smoke and anytime you spend between inhaling from the cig. This also applies to e-cigs, unless you are absorbing 100% of the vapor that you inhale, you are blowing nicotine back out in the cloud you exhale.

Chris'sClouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unless you've inhaled 100% of the smoke from the cigs and held it in until 100% of the smoke was absorbed by you're lungs, you didn't get 15mg of nicotine from the cigs. Nicotine is being lost to the environment any time you exhale smoke and anytime you spend between inhaling from the cig. This also applies to e-cigs, unless you are absorbing 100% of the vapor that you inhale, you are blowing nicotine back out in the cloud you exhale.
I wonder how much nicotine is blown into the air and how much is absorbed. I usually use 3mg juice and sometimes 12mg (what most of my friends use).

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm pretty sure I'm getting far less nicotine now than at any time in the last 40 yrs, except maybe for when I was pregnant 28 yrs ago, when I smoked only 3-4 cigs a day. Currently vaping about 4-5ml per day, of 4.8-5mg -- so anywhere from 19 to 25mg per day.

Since finally getting finished with weaning off WTA just over a month ago, pretty sure there's little if any physical component to my addiction... but the psychological part is still very much present -- though I don't vape nearly as often as I did at first when first quitting cigarettes, it's still fairly regular -- and if told that I CAN'T vape, then of course I immediately want to. :D

Andria

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to vape "heavily" by my own standards, easily 20+ mls a day mostly with drippers using 3-6mg nic juice.
Now that I upped my nic level to 12mg, I vape at most 2mg of juice a day. Granted, my vaping habit went from direct lung RDA's to MTL genisis tanks, but still, I definitely crave way less vaping now.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've also heard that vaping is roughly 50% effective when it comes to nicotine absorption as compared to smoking. So if I smoked about 15 Marlboro Light 100s (about 1.2 mg nicotine per, or 18 mg/day), my 10 ml of 3 mg (30 mg, or 15 mg if you believe the 50% efficiency number) is about right. It's also actually lower than the 3 ml of 18 mg (54 mg, or 27 mg in cigarette terms) I used to vape on old school gear when I first quit. So am I consuming more or less nicotine than I did as a smoker? I couldn't give less of a shit - it's the other stuff about smoking that bothered me, and I'm a high-functioning alcoholic who at this point is just happy to be off all the pharmaceuticals and street drugs I used in my twenties.
Back when I was vaping 18 mg, I had a tank of 6 mg I used when it got close to bedtime. It seemed to help, so there may be something to lowering nicotine consumption when preparing to rest.
I also have some bizarre anxiety issues, though I haven't been able to link them to substance consumption, nicotine or otherwise.
I'm pretty sure I'm getting far less nicotine now than at any time in the last 40 yrs, except maybe for when I was pregnant 28 yrs ago, when I smoked only 3-4 cigs a day. Currently vaping about 4-5ml per day, of 4.8-5mg -- so anywhere from 19 to 25mg per day.

Since finally getting finished with weaning off WTA just over a month ago, pretty sure there's little if any physical component to my addiction... but the psychological part is still very much present -- though I don't vape nearly as often as I did at first when first quitting cigarettes, it's still fairly regular -- and if told that I CAN'T vape, then of course I immediately want to. :D

Andria
I had an interesting situation earlier this week - I got a terrible cold, one the likes of which I haven't seen since I was a smoker. This sonofabitch put me in bed for two whole days, and I was only firing on half my cylinders the next two days after. What really caught my attention - when I smoked, and even for the first year I vaped when I got sick, I'd still have this crazy urge to smoke, and I'd light up or crawl to my vape and take tiny hits, as much as my lungs could stand, in order to get my fix. This week, I went to hit my vape once on Monday and my lungs said "No Dave, none of that shit for you!" I didn't fight it. I tried again once on Tuesday, same thing. I didn't even try to vape on Wednesday, and by the time I was feeling a bit better Thursday and I was able to vape, it dawned on me that I'd gone almost four days without any kind of crazy withdrawal. I may be crazy, but toking away happily on Sunday morning I now feel more like vaping is a choice than an addiction, as I know back in the cigarette days I'd have forced at least a few down no matter how sick I was, rather than just putting the pack away until I felt like I was ready for it...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I had an interesting situation earlier this week - I got a terrible cold, one the likes of which I haven't seen since I was a smoker. This sonofabitch put me in bed for two whole days, and I was only firing on half my cylinders the next two days after. What really caught my attention - when I smoked, and even for the first year I vaped when I got sick, I'd still have this crazy urge to smoke, and I'd light up or crawl to my vape and take tiny hits, as much as my lungs could stand, in order to get my fix. This week, I went to hit my vape once on Monday and my lungs said "No Dave, none of that shit for you!" I didn't fight it. I tried again once on Tuesday, same thing. I didn't even try to vape on Wednesday, and by the time I was feeling a bit better Thursday and I was able to vape, it dawned on me that I'd gone almost four days without any kind of crazy withdrawal. I may be crazy, but toking away happily on Sunday morning I now feel more like vaping is a choice than an addiction, as I know back in the cigarette days I'd have forced at least a few down no matter how sick I was, rather than just putting the pack away until I felt like I was ready for it...

I learned back in 2014 that even if I'm sick and really don't feel like vaping, I'd better not go any length of time without it. After my appendectomy, I was so deathly sick, just the thought of vaping was enough to make me heave, so I left it alone for 4 days. By the time the nausea had abated enough that I *could* vape.... it tasted like pure shit to me, and even though I really wanted to vape, I just couldn't tolerate the taste... so any bets on what happened next? That's right... cigarette cravings hit me like a pile driver... so I smoked, thinking it would be just a week or two... It ended up taking only 3 days to get right back to pk a day territory, and a month to put the stupid coffin nails down again.

I swore then that no matter how sick I ever become, I won't go more than 24 hrs without vaping, because it's all too easy to lose the "taste" for it. and yeah, cigarettes taste crummy... but they're familiar, a crummy taste I was well-used to for nearly 4 decades, and when those cravings hit, I can put up with a lot to get what I need.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I might vape 2ml a day at 1.8mg of nicotine per ml of juice. If you do the 50% effective rate, that would mean I use 1.8mg of nicotine per day. Most often I vape about 1.75ml per day, some days I may vape 3ml depending upon assorted vectors. Being fair the 2ml a day average works in my case. So yes, while I do vape nicotine at a higher saturation, I vape moderately enough that I may consume the nicotine roughly equivalent of one tobacco cigarette every day or two. Compare that to formerly smoking half to a pack a day and it is clear even my nicotine use has been drastically reduced, ergo harm from nicotine reduced.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I learned back in 2014 that even if I'm sick and really don't feel like vaping, I'd better not go any length of time without it. After my appendectomy, I was so deathly sick, just the thought of vaping was enough to make me heave, so I left it alone for 4 days. By the time the nausea had abated enough that I *could* vape.... it tasted like pure shit to me, and even though I really wanted to vape, I just couldn't tolerate the taste... so any bets on what happened next? That's right... cigarette cravings hit me like a pile driver... so I smoked, thinking it would be just a week or two... It ended up taking only 3 days to get right back to pk a day territory, and a month to put the stupid coffin nails down again.

I swore then that no matter how sick I ever become, I won't go more than 24 hrs without vaping, because it's all too easy to lose the "taste" for it. and yeah, cigarettes taste crummy... but they're familiar, a crummy taste I was well-used to for nearly 4 decades, and when those cravings hit, I can put up with a lot to get what I need.

Andria

I feel you on the "familiar" thing with cigarettes. They taste like shit, cant deny it. Sure, after a while you get used to it and they can taste "satisfying" but its not a good taste. BUT, the cigarettes are like a link to the past and happier times. I dont know about you, but sometimes I get a whiff of a cigarette (or when I was actually smoking, the taste and feel) and it just reminds me of my teenage years/early 20s. Ill remember certain occasions where my friends and I would hang out smoking and having a good time (usually with girls/chasing girls) or especially itll bring me back to past sexual experiences because duh, smoking and sex go hand and hand like skinny bitches and cosmo, chicken and waffles, and strippers and thongs. And so catching a whiff of a stogie is like "damn, I wanna be a kid again" and then I just gotta have it.

Idk, kinda went off on a tangent there, but whatever lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I feel you on the "familiar" thing with cigarettes. They taste like shit, cant deny it. Sure, after a while you get used to it and they can taste "satisfying" but its not a good taste. BUT, the cigarettes are like a link to the past and happier times. I dont know about you, but sometimes I get a whiff of a cigarette (or when I was actually smoking, the taste and feel) and it just reminds me of my teenage years/early 20s. Ill remember certain occasions where my friends and I would hang out smoking and having a good time (usually with girls/chasing girls) or especially itll bring me back to past sexual experiences because duh, smoking and sex go hand and hand like skinny bitches and cosmo, chicken and waffles, and strippers and thongs. And so catching a whiff of a stogie is like "damn, I wanna be a kid again" and then I just gotta have it.

Idk, kinda went off on a tangent there, but whatever lol

Chicken goes with mashed potatoes and gravy, or sweet n sour sauce; waffles go with syrup. Chicken and waffles do NOT go together, EVER!

I sometimes get that "nostalgia" thing if I catch that first whiff of a freshly-lit cigarette -- it scares me, it smells so good, so I get the hell away from it. I have the same reaction to the smell of beer -- it smells so good, but I know it's poison to this body.

Andria

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Chicken goes with mashed potatoes and gravy, or sweet n sour sauce; waffles go with syrup. Chicken and waffles do NOT go together, EVER!

I sometimes get that "nostalgia" thing if I catch that first whiff of a freshly-lit cigarette -- it scares me, it smells so good, so I get the hell away from it. I have the same reaction to the smell of beer -- it smells so good, but I know it's poison to this body.

Andria

Nah nah nah, chicken n waffles go together like woodstock and snoopy, jay n silent bob, and kate upton and no clothes :bingo:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nah nah nah, chicken n waffles go together like woodstock and snoopy, jay n silent bob, and kate upton and no clothes :bingo:

They only go together for a) certain ethnic groups, and/or b) those who weigh over 300 lbs. Normal people do not eat chicken and waffles at the same meal -- chicken is lunch or dinner; waffles is breakfast, and they DO NOT go together!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thats racist lol

No it's not -- it's the way to eat and NOT weigh 300 lbs. If you eat breakfast AND dinner at the same meal, you very soon WILL weigh 300 lbs.

Andria

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They only go together for a) certain ethnic groups, and/or b) those who weigh over 300 lbs. Normal people do not eat chicken and waffles at the same meal -- chicken is lunch or dinner; waffles is breakfast, and they DO NOT go together!

Andria
Hey I go 140lbs and love me some chicken and waffles when the mood hits me right. It's ridiculously good.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm fat - 5'11", 250. And I'm okay with that, because chicken and waffles are delicious, just like they were 10 years ago when I was less fat - while they've become kind of a hipster thing around here in the last few years, the best ones are at Mama Jean's Soul Food in City Heights, one of the more 'hood neighborhoods in town - been a fan since a coworker of a certain ethnic group turned me on to the place in the mid-2000s...

VU Sponsors