Become a Patron!

Your vaping journey - When will it end???

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Have you ever pondered this like I have??? Will there come a day when you just say 'I'm done vaping".

The vaping community is very split. You have the ones who started vaping with the one goal of quitting smoking. You have the group that have started that way but it ended up being a hobby. Then there are the band-wagoners who are following what they think is a trend. Many of which have never picked up a cigarette in their life.

So for the folks like me, who used this as a tool to quit and stay off the stinkies, do you ever wonder if there will be a day where you decide that the journey is over?? That you will look at all of the vape gear and juice and just decide that it has done it's job and I don't need it anymore.

I feel great not having a cigarette in almost 18 months. But I also wonder how hard it will be to give up vaping if I decide to do it. I mean in all honesty it is a habit that replaced another habit.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, from the very beginning.

In my first month vaping, I wasn't sure if I'd be doing it just to quit, or become a hobbyist. Soon after that I realized it was too late not to become a hobbyist. :D It was then that I decided that what I was doing was establishing a new habit, knowing full well I may quit this one some day. As a smoker, I never really found quitting to be all that difficult. It was staying quit that was difficult. So establishing a new habit to fall back on or succumb to instead of smoking is what I'm doing now as a vaper.

So how long will I be vaping? I don't know and don't care, as long as I never become a smoker again.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
s_FJVIHn_Jpmenxxtgiwyo_OZwuo1_500.jpg

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Who knows about "the future", I try not to think about that kinda stuff, just freaks me out.
I know what I'm doing today, and that's vaping and not smoking, so that's all I care about.

Last edited:

KatyLoo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I keep lowering my nic level and I'm just going to see what happens. At the very least I'd like to get to a point where I can go for long periods and not have the urge. If I ever reach a point that I'm not smoking and don't need to vape, I'll be forever grateful but I won't miss it.

Juice_Spiller

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great topic!!! I fully intend to stop vaping one day. But I am not ready to yet. I fully believe that if I stopped right now, I would instantly go back to smoking cigarettes. When I quit smoking (due to vaping), I told myself that I will vape until I feel comfortable not to. I am guessing it will take quite a while, but eventually I will stop.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I kinda started knowing I'd enjoy the geeky side of tweaking and customizing. Then, after seeing all of the sweet mods and gear, I was hooked.
I remember first time seeing a kicked Silver Bullet with a Penelope and was like woooooow...lol

If I was rich, I'd build custom PC's for a hobby. Vaping is something that not only rids me of tobacco, but is a hobby I can mostly afford to have fun with. And, vapers are kind of unique as a group...we all shared the cigarettes, no matter our backgrounds.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started vaping about 5 months ago fully with the notion that I would continually reduce the nic and eventually quit vaping. over a period of years. Firstly I thought 2 to 3 years would be plenty, and it probably would be if that's what I wanted, but now I'm not sure. I like nicotine - perhaps even more now that it comes without all the other crap. My brain has had decades of being rewired to work with it. So I'm not sure I'll ever stop completely, unless forced to. I think I'd like to reduce the amount of chain-vaping I do though, to address the habit side of it.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am still dropping my nic level and I do find that I can go fairly long periods (about an hour and a half) without having a vape.

And my longish term goal is to drop down to 0mg nic.

But I doubt that I will ever stop completely. I just really like it especially with a morning cup of joe and after a good meal.

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can go days without vaping and I use 24mg nic level but I will only stop till my lungs give out.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought it was a temporary thing when I began (because that's a smoker's mindset). I even stopped altogether after six months for 6 weeks. Then thought what for? My bestie vapes but never smoked. She later started using nic for the kick but stopped that bit. Vaping has become a lifestyle for many of us offering so many avenues. Why give it up? Seems pointless. Unless someone is short of money I can't see the reasoning behind it. Vaping is a hobby. It's my middle name :)

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I guess a sure way to tell that you don't need it is when you can go long stretches without vaping. I used to have to put a movie on pause to go grab a smoke. Or on a long road trip with the kids in the car stop for a smoke. I can easily go half the day without getting the urge to vape. Hell I never used to be able to function without that first morning smoke. Now I do it when I do it.

I also don't get that anxious feeling when running low. I used to freak out if I ran out of smokes or was close to running out before the end of a work day or late at night. I have been caught out with an almost dead battery because I was out longer than I thought I would be. Don't get that anxious "what am I gonna do" feeling.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess a sure way to tell that you don't need it is when you can go long stretches without vaping.
… …
I have been caught out with an almost dead battery because I was out longer than I thought I would be. Don't get that anxious "what am I gonna do" feeling.
Funny, sort of. I can and do go hours with maybe only a couple of toots. But I still hate it if I forget to take a spare battery. Saying that however, I used to always take a spare tank or coil. But not anymore. Coils (your own) just don't die, ever

Jcc2k

Member For 4 Years
Since I have quit vaping once already, I cannot honestly say it won't happen again. But the game has changed since I quit. All of the things that caused me to quit before are no longer a problem, so hopefully it won't happen again.

Gonzi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I enjoy vaping way to much to force myself to quit. I started vaping with the intention of quiting smoking and was very successful with it, even though it took a lot of will power since I started with a dinky Prosmoke, which is a M403 if I remember correctly. Throughout the years I've lowered my nicotine but that has been due to using better equipment and getting headaches, but I'm comfortable vaping on 6-12mg and don't see a reason to stop it.

I'll quit vaping when I quit drinking coffee, in other words, when I'm in the grave.

kuma

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have zero intention of quitting. No reason to.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I won't be giving it up anytime soon

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started vaping solely to quit smoking. Now that it's grown into a new hobby for me, I only see myself quitting if (or when, who knows...) supplies get too expensive or hard to find. For the time being, my goal is to cut down on nicotine.

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I started vaping like the majority, to quit smoking. I had tried everything, including meds. I took care of grandparents as they died horrible painful deaths due to years of smoking. My kids begged me to quit, and that was the hardest for me, because they didn't understand!
I have RSD and if you know anything about that it is extremely painful, and am on some pretty hefty meds for that. The inhaling and exhaling of smoking relaxed me when I was in the most pain. It's been 4 months and a day almost 2, since then I have tried to take a couple of drags on a cigarette and literally tasted like I licked an ashtray. I posted the thread asking when you knew you were a non smoker, I like many others walked by people and was mortified that I smelled so bad at one time, and there wasn't a day, and hardly is now that my one daughter doesn't compliment me on quitting. But that taste, man was it awful!

I have a pack of smokes that my husband found in his truck and told him to throw them away, he said go ahead I have faith that you can't tKe more than a puff or two, I did, and like I said they were awful, I couldn't choke it down!

I lower my nic level and intended to quit, however the hobby part of it was and still is a motivator for me! I love the app I have that let's me set a goal of something I wanna buy, and when I have saved enough money from smoking it tells me to treat myself, it's time to buy..... Unfortunately, I always find something else to put that money towards, if I could only put it in a jar daily lol!

katwain58

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not quitting...there's always a better mod or atty right around the corner.....

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, I guess I will die sometime, but until then, I'll probably be vaping!

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My physical dependency to take puffs on something may not go away very easily, so I don't see myself quitting any time soon.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The simple answer for most of us, even if we don't like it is.....DEATH....

LadyBren

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Like so many, when I started it was to be a step down program, till the day I could quite all
together. Well hell, that was 5 years ago so I guess No, not now and now is all I have ;)
I have to say, although I still need to vape, it has become a hobby, I'm the kind that needs
to always be learning new things so this took care of both habits.

aussie

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
No I have no intention to quit vapeing and in fact I am making arrangements to have all my gear buried with me so just in case I am ready lol

hitman4274

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I made the SWITCH to vaping for the health benefits and the costs associated with smoking.. I live in today, but with that said I have no plans on stopping my journey with vaping.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I quit smoking for 8 yrs once. I started up again 6 yrs ago. I have switched to Vaping for 5 months. I am very happy with it. I went from cigalikes to rebuilding and spent a lot of money but am pretty well set up now. I used to DIY analogs for for $1.50 a pk. No way would I want to go back to that. Nicotine is like caffeine to me I use to much but don't really lose any sleep over it. Well maybe sleep is not the right word such is life

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Been vaping for 18 months, no intentions to give up, since I started vaping, never been tempted to pick up a cig, I am scared if stopped vaping, there is the chance I may go back to smoking at some point, so I will keep vaping :)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
when I run out of Nic and vg..

and that will be... after I die and my great grand kids start vaping.. at 18 :D

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My vaping journey will end when they can pry my PV from my cold dead hands.

Honestly, though, it would be really nice if i could step down to zero nic and just be done with it. Unfortunately, it's taken me 4 years so far and i'm still vaping at 18mg and enjoying it far too much.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
My vaping journey will end when they can pry my PV from my cold dead hands.

Honestly, though, it would be really nice if i could step down to zero nic and just be done with it. Unfortunately, it's taken me 4 years so far and i'm still vaping at 18mg and enjoying it far too much.

1st.. you aren't smoking the stinkies... right?? YAY jeremy!! :D
2nd.. 18mg is not bad.. if you want to.. try dropping only 2mg at a time..
you will not notice it.. :p promise! ;)

and 3rd.. just because you'd like to vape 0mg does not mean you will end vaping..
many people do just that.. and I bounce from 0mg up to 12mg.. :rolleyes:

now can someone find me a siphon?? i need to get a pint of vg out my pail..:D

Reactions: jae

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well for me guys I am a child of the 80's I have been addicted to many things and I have an addictive personality and yes I seek assistance with it
I am addicted to Nicotine thats why I smoked and for now I do not plan on quitting any time soon I tried the Nicotine Gum the Lozenges and I got addicted to both because of the Nicotine but I still smoked... When I started vaping after 3 days I have never smoked another cigarette. In the future who knows what will happen but I feel better I look better and I surely do not stink anymore :)

Fad

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Since starting vaping I eventually realised it was the habit rather than the nicotine that was the true 'addiction'
so I expect to continue, even if I decide to use 0 nic in the future.

VU Sponsors