Become a Patron!

Zephyrus Subtank Leaking

Saw a few reviews on this tank and thought "wow, this tank does it all!" Unfortunately that included major leaking issues. Yeah, so I've been getting major leaking issues through the airflow holes and was wondering if anyone else experienced the same issue with the tank.

What I noticed is that the RBA base has two airholes that lay under the coils and the holes lead to the airflow base. With enough juice build up, juice can flow through the RBA base/coil, enter the airflow hole and leak out of the device on to your mod.

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't have 1 but watched Scuba build and use it with no leak. Make sure your wicks don't touch any spots around the air holes and you shouldn't get a leak. If they do touch metal around holes you will get juice in them.

Yeah the leaking was at its worst when I attempted to build on the RBA; however I was still getting leaks with the stock coil. I'd unscrew everything and put it back together to make sure everything was tight but as soon as I filled from the top I got leaks through the airflow holes. So far I'm willing to admit I must be doing something wrong because I haven't come across any other posts or reviews that mention the ridiculous amount of leaking I'm getting so I'm hoping someone can shed some light or something.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only thing I'm building on is my one and only RDA,
BIGBOYVAPER

Traegus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
are you closing the air flow control when you are filling? only leaking i get is when i forget to do that.

No I am not. They're left wide open. I'll try closing it to refill when I get back home.

Just wondering, is this supposed to be how I should fill it up? I must've missed that =X

Traegus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah, the documentation and all the video reviews I've seen mention it. makes a bit of sense too, though it would make more if closing it actually created an air tight seal, but i guess it's enough. also, higher vg juices man, the air flow on both the pre-builts and the rba are a bit big for 50/50 juice viscosity.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have yet to have a leak. Its all in the placement of your wicking and coil height. Your with wick needs to be cut like a bowl haircut. Trevor Jones goblin video is a good build for this tank.

yeah, the documentation and all the video reviews I've seen mention it. makes a bit of sense too, though it would make more if closing it actually created an air tight seal, but i guess it's enough. also, higher vg juices man, the air flow on both the pre-builts and the rba are a bit big for 50/50 juice viscosity.

aaaaand THANK YOU! I don't know how but it worked. I rewicked the RBA, tightened the tank and closed the airflow and it works like a charm! No leaks and I am enjoying this tank as intended.

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been playing around with this one a lot since I got it this week. The premade coil section worked well. Now the RBA head is another monster. Using 26g 2.5mm wrap the cooldown of the coil takes too long so I hear the hiss after firing. So I messed around with 26g on 2mm. Eventually I learned wicking down the entire channel doesn't wick fast enough. Wicking too short just barely touching into the channel causes spitting. I think the juice bypasses the wick and flows right into the huge air holes, which eventually flooded the thing. Getting the wick about halfway down the channel wicks perfect.

Current coil is reading 0.4ohms at 48w with the air ring closed almost all the way off seems about right. I don't get any flavor with this wide open. Any hints from anyone who got this working well?

BigLiquid530

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have one sitting on my vape table waiting to be used. Soon as my siegeli 150 comes in Monday I'll be testing the waters with this tank. Can't wait.

I've been having a lot of issues with this tank as well. I have not tried closing the air flow ring when filling however. I'm running white label high VG juice and noticed the tank gets hot and thins the juice out and that is when it starts to leak. Also I used it with the factory coil with no issues when I first got it, used RBA base and thats when the leaking started, then contiued after the stock coil was placed back in. Please if anyone has anything it would be appreciated. Hate myself for wasting the 35 bucks when I could have gotten Atlantis v2 coils for my v1....

Broadside Vaporz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got mine about 2 weeks ago, only issues I've had to deal with was learning to wick it. No leaks no fuss (after watching Trevor video). Current build is 28g 10 wraps on an 1/8th inch bit .95 ohms @ 38 watts. Suprized to find it'll feed fast enough but not leak. So far it's the only tank I've bought that didn't make me sad.... wish they made a deck for a single coil. Have a dovpo tc 50 showing up next week.... this is going to be a PITA to do a nickle build on.

I've had no leaking issues with mine I've never closed the airflow to fill it up ? Didn't even know I was meant to till now.

I build on the rba deck dual nickel 8 wraps per coil comes in @ 0.08 ohms wicking packed half way down the juice channels ... Great flavour big clouds !

Broadside Vaporz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've had no leaking issues with mine I've never closed the airflow to fill it up ? Didn't even know I was meant to till now.

I build on the rba deck dual nickel 8 wraps per coil comes in @ 0.08 ohms wicking packed half way down the juice channels ... Great flavour big clouds !
What gauge?

Broadside Vaporz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Nick,
What are you running it on? Is your bottom limit stated as .1 by the manufacturer? Have noticed most devices are stated @ a bottom of.1, but seeing several builds that seem a bit lower. Wondering how set in stone is the .1 ohm bottom is.

I love the look of the aspire Atlantis v2 but I'm apprehensive to try it out . I've had bad experiences in the past with there tanks. Underperforming and dissatisfaction.

I don't think they have an rba deck either ?? Not 100% sure on this correct me if I'm wrong ?

I'm an avid coil builder I like to be able to build my own coils to my own taste

mrmoodz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't mean to thread hijack, but the 1.0 ohm coils for the Atlantis are awesome. I have a 1.0 ohm coil running in the v1 Atlantis at 50 watts with a Derringer drip tip and loving it.

Broadside Vaporz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had an Atlantis V-1, tank, it was ok, but the airflow.... guess I got spoiled dripping. Favorite RDA is a mutation X v-2 single coil setup WFO one side on a 1.5 ohm coil @ 60-70 watts. Hate a restricted draw. The v-1 Atlantis has a new home now. While not perfect the zephyrus is closer... a single coil deck setup would be nice. (Thinking nickle builds)
Even if it was optional with an added price.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I posted a nickel build that is sweet on the zephyrus use 28 or 30 if using a DNA mod ten wraps spaced around 2.5mm dia dual coil 50j @397-480°f

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

DirtyGoat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been playing around with this one a lot since I got it this week. The premade coil section worked well. Now the RBA head is another monster. Using 26g 2.5mm wrap the cooldown of the coil takes too long so I hear the hiss after firing. So I messed around with 26g on 2mm. Eventually I learned wicking down the entire channel doesn't wick fast enough. Wicking too short just barely touching into the channel causes spitting. I think the juice bypasses the wick and flows right into the huge air holes, which eventually flooded the thing. Getting the wick about halfway down the channel wicks perfect.

Current coil is reading 0.4ohms at 48w with the air ring closed almost all the way off seems about right. I don't get any flavor with this wide open. Any hints from anyone who got this working well?

Well explained. I got the Zeph to be used as a rta. I agree that half way down is the ticket. Also wanted to mention that i feather the wick into the channel with the shorter strands facing the bottom. I tried going shorter and had juice running down my hand. The little rba can get to be a pain but the reward is so worth it. Best looking "sub tank" out IMO.

Do you have any issues when you screw down the Zeph all the way on your mod? I use on a mech and seem to be getting somewhat of a short when its screwed all the way flush. Once I back it off a 1/4 turn its fine but small gap. Im not real fond of the pin's peak insulator. Seems that it could have been a bit longer coming out of the bottom. I would not recommend on hybrid for this reason.

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was having some leaking problems with my Zephyrus also. I rebuilt it today with the wicks about 1/2 down the channel. I also tapered the wicks so the bits in the channels were thinner. It's been preforming great since this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtyGoat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was having some leaking problems with my Zephyrus also. I rebuilt it today with the wicks about 1/2 down the channel. I also tapered the wicks so the bits in the channels were thinner. It's been preforming great since this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you stick with same pg/vg ratio and you should be fine. I did notice with a 60/40 I started leaking on fill up but seemed to do ok after that. Good Luck and please post any tips, good or bad. Thanks for the feedback

Broadside Vaporz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've had some,leaking on fill as well, just a guess,, but I think it might be due to when you put in the fill cap it is lightly pressuring the tank. Have noticed if I get right on it and start ripping away it kinda helps.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

DirtyGoat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had some,leaking on fill as well, just a guess,, but I think it might be due to when you put in the fill cap it is lightly pressuring the tank. Have noticed if I get right on it and start ripping away it kinda helps.

Broadside, Same here! Even when I close the AFC, I have tried a number of ways but always end up getting a little bit of juice once I open AFC. It has to be pressurized like you noted. If it doesn't leak then I know I have too much wick in the channel. I wish the stock coils were worth a shit.... oh well.

Broadside Vaporz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Still the best tank I've found to date...just a little finicky on the fill. Not a bad trade off considering when dripping I always had a mess...

DirtyGoat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is a good video that might help us out with building/wicking the Zephyrus.
Building coil starts at 05:26
Wicking coil starts at 07:48
Hope this helps. Good luck and please let me know your thoughts.

undrpsi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't know if it's still relevant but I got one of these and I constantly have to dick with it to stop the leaks....I'm also not getting as good a flavor as my other tanks...

Jay

Broadside Vaporz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To the people getting leaking (not during filling) are you using factory coils? Or building your own? Have found that 28 gauge 6 wraps about a .5 ohm just keeps on chugging along. Seems to really matter how you wick. A little to short = leak a little to long and you puff on cotton. I've got 3 days on the build currently runnin, not a drip lost. Will admit, the factory coils were not the best...rps20150630_133949.jpg

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can honestly say, i have not had any issues at all with mine. Easy wicking and build on the rba deck and superb flavor on the stock coil. The only leaking I have noticed is the normal condensation from vapor coming out of the afc.

undrpsi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Broadside
Leaks on both...I'm going to completely tear it down and rebuild it later this week...
ALSO...is your bottom air ring SUPER loose? I have to tighten the tank down on my mod to make sure it won't spin...it's not tight on the tank itself...

Jay

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to agree with Dre on wicking. I watched Trevor Jones build video on you tube, and used that technique. No issues with rba leaking at all

Broadside Vaporz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
AFC ring has a nice drag to it, make sure the o ring is in place... if it is you might change it with the spare. uploadfromtaptalk1435697588738.jpg

undrpsi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
StanM...
I'll watch that tonight....I got me some Ni200 coils I just made that are dying to go on there...

Jay

Broadside Vaporz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can see, mine doesn't sit flush on my dovpo, but it rides around in my front pocket without changing the AFC setting.uploadfromtaptalk1435697844558.jpg

DirtyGoat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Broadside
Leaks on both...I'm going to completely tear it down and rebuild it later this week...
ALSO...is your bottom air ring SUPER loose? I have to tighten the tank down on my mod to make sure it won't spin...it's not tight on the tank itself...

Jay
Grimm did a different wicking method in his video. (Wicking starts around 6:12 mark) You may give this a try. I'm gonna try it as soon as I need new cotton or change juice. Good Luck

undrpsi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok...watched 2 video's on how to build the deck. Did it just like it supposed to be...(note: I'm not super experienced but have built decks on my RDA)...STILL leaks out the bottom like a sieve. Coming out the air slots...flooding...is what it's called?

Oh...and I have (2) Lemo 2's that I don't have this kind of problem with. They're more of a traditional build though...

Jay

DirtyGoat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok...watched 2 video's on how to build the deck. Did it just like it supposed to be...(note: I'm not super experienced but have built decks on my RDA)...STILL leaks out the bottom like a sieve. Coming out the air slots...flooding...is what it's called?

Oh...and I have (2) Lemo 2's that I don't have this kind of problem with. They're more of a traditional build though...

Jay

Try lifting coils up a little bit so that they are 2.5 to 3 mm above air holes. I use the famous "little blue screwdriver" that comes with almost every piece of gear to wrap dual parallel 28g and then wick should look like a handlebar mustache reaching 1/4-1/3 of the way down the channels. I dampen wick to "mold" into place. Be very gentle putting the rba cap on cause it doesn't take much to pull wick out of the channel. Also check your clear o-ring on bottom of the rba section and make sure it is seated without twist or anything not normal. I had to use the one from stock coil cause I lost mine when cleaning the deck. Thats the only o-ring they don't give you an extra for. Let us know how your coming along. I know it can be a pain but once you get it your golden (ponyboy) lol Idk what my mind is doing today...... Time for a vape.

undrpsi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm pretty sure...after watching the videos...and from the leakage that my 'mustache' wicks aren't extending down into the wick holes correctly. It 'looks' like they are what limits the amount of juice from from the tank. I appears that my juice just squirts up on the deck then down the air holes.
The only 'huh' is my tanks will almost completely drain...even to a point below the juice holes...so....I'm going to re-o-ring the bottom end...

Or...I may just give it to one of my son's....I got it free in my Vape-Box subscription. I'm also a big Atlantis fan-boi now that I got a supplier of good cheap nickel coils for it...

Jay

DirtyGoat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
****Update****
Last night I took the tank apart to clean coils and rewick. This time I used Grimm's method and this is what I found.
After putting it back together I only added about 1 ml of 70vg/30pg juice to check for leakage. Even with AFC open I experienced ZERO leaking (Doing my happy dance). I went ahead and killed off that juice before adding more. At this point the wick was "broke in". I filled tank to the max and still No Leaking and No Dry Hits!!! Problem is solved

This is a good video that might help us out with building/wicking the Zephyrus.
Building coil starts at 05:26
Wicking coil starts at 07:48
Hope this helps. Good luck and please let me know your thoughts.
SEEN THIS VIDEO LAST NIGH ,,IVE BEEN USING THE ZEPHYRUS ABOUT A MONTH,,WITH NO LEAKING AT WITH STOCK COILS ,,,TRIED TO REBUILD 3 TIMES LASTNIGHT & EVERYTIME I HAD DLOODS GALORE ,,TYING THIS METHOD IN THE VIDEO LATER TODAY :) "FINGERS CROSSED"

DirtyGoat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
SEEN THIS VIDEO LAST NIGH ,,IVE BEEN USING THE ZEPHYRUS ABOUT A MONTH,,WITH NO LEAKING AT WITH STOCK COILS ,,,TRIED TO REBUILD 3 TIMES LASTNIGHT & EVERYTIME I HAD DLOODS GALORE ,,TYING THIS METHOD IN THE VIDEO LATER TODAY :) "FINGERS CROSSED"

Any luck stllaborer? I have had very little leakage (and not enough to bitch about) with this and zero dry hits.

DirtyGoat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome bro. yeah i messed up the other day a had too much wick and was drying out on me so i drained it and rebuilt the whole thing for the hell of it. Glad you got her obeying!

ive got the zephyrus for a couple of weeks now and im going through the same flooding issue every time after refilling....ive done lots and lots of experimenting and analyzing (various coiling and wicking and advices from many other threads)...turns out its not the chimney hole, i can assure you this....i tried filling it full and leave an air pocket...same prob occurs, but after a while of vaping(10 puffs) the flood is gone....the liquid is still high above the chimney..

so, ive come to a conclusion that its actually the tanks pressure thats causing the flood everytime after refilling, and im pretty sure of this....though ive found the problem, i still cant find the solution tho....yeap, i do keep the air holes closed on refills

if anyone does find a solution, please share....definitely not the wicking....its just flooding after refills...

VU Sponsors