Become a Patron!

100% pg or nah

Thinking of DIYing a 100% pg vape but I'm curious to know what the communitys experience is with 100% pg juice. I have no desire for clouds. I use no nicotine so I'm really in it for the flavour and feeling.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I say mix it however you like it for you -

If you are buying it commercially, my outdated experience says it would be awful tasting

Might not be too bad if you made it yourself - remember, taste is subjective

it would also depend on what you are vaping it with

Some tank systems with prebuilt coils would not be able to handle such thin juice and would most likely leak badly

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've never vaped anything higher in PG than 50% but I would imagine it would be pretty harsh at 100% and so thin it would flood most anything other than an RDA.

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I have done this and I have no complaints about it-you can also get away with less flavor percents, but I would not look at this as some cost savings just. I can say that VG does offer a sweeter flavor than PG. So the juice you mix will have close to 0 sweetness (when comparing to commercial juice this will be a huge change).

Also while its not harsh its also not as smooth as VG, I often use it to clean / flush out cotton on RDAs when I am being lazy. This again is proof and can show you how much flavor PG can carry. I can vapejuice until I almost get a dry hit, then drip in some VG and vape for some time until I taste zero flavor and almost get a drip hit, then drip in some PG and POW-guess what I taste the flavor that thought was gone from the cotton while using a VG flush.

The best suggestion is to vape both alone and if you are going to be doing DIY-I suggest you do this. While its not harsh I dont even really like the term throat hit as I still think its still smooth, just VG is smoother "butter/water" -again not saying its not enjoyable but the best way is for you to experience it yourself.

I also agree with @JuicyLucy on this, it will more than likely leak in most tanks. I do about 95% of my vaping on RDA's so it was not an issue.

Taste is subjective as others say but I would like to share some testing type methods I do with stuff when DIYing to make sure my experience is not just a misguided view. When I am wanting to test something/compare I mix various bottles up. It could be different nic levels, flavors or same recipes on different PG/VG ratios. In this case you want to compare 100PG so...

A lot of on the shelf juice is in that 70 to 80 vg ratio so most know what this is like. So with this I would suggest you mix up something simple of a single flavor (small 10ml or less) that you know just at 5%. Then do four bottles:

1. 30/70
2. 50/50
3. 75/25
4. 100/0

Vape on them all for a while few hours maybe even different days.

Second you must take notes. No matter how unique a flavor is or you think you will like/dislike it take notes and be able to recall them at a later time. Not doing so has burned me a number of times - especially with flavor tasting.

Even had times when some friends and I were tasting flavors and just having conversations about them, talked and compared thoughts on flavors for an hour or so-and thought we had perfect flavors descriptions. I got lazy before I knew it, a week past and I forgot half the great descriptions we talked about. Maybe your memory is better than mine, but I have never been upset that I took too many notes.

While I also do not consider myself a cloud chaser my experience with this left me with the idea that 100pg was just not for me. Even though not cloud chasing I like a certain amount of vapor and without it I am unsatisfied with the juice/vape despite the flavor (psychosomatic maybe :crazy: but hey my meds only do so much). I normally bounce around from 50 - 80 vg with 60 - 70 being average and more so control vapor production with coil / watt / temp setting. I also like sweeter juice so I think am partial to VG. It seems the more PG I use the more sweetener I use, then the more coils clean or replace sooner (SS).

Some PG/VG suggestions (if you dont already have some), what ever you think you are ok with buying at first, buy more-it starts to go fast once you get a stash of flavors.

Need to change my avatar to "The introvert that wont stop typing"

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For me that would be................... NO FUCKING WAY!

High or MAX VG for me as 50/50 is an anemic vape or too much throat hit. Just my opinion..............

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape 60% PG and am 100% DIY. But I can't see going over 75% for myself.
I think I vaped a 100% PG tobacco juice when I first started out.
But I was vapong cartomizers at like 3 watts?

High wattage 100% PG would have to be rough I would think.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I accedently order some 30/70 juice from my freedom smokes. The button said "STANDARD" or something. I didn't look closely lol. I guess 70PG is (was?) the norm there. When I got it in the mail it looked like water when I gave it a shake.

I used it in an old Joyetech eComm mega stick/kit. I didn't dare run it in a baby beast. It was fine in the ol' Delta 16 tank. It was cola and energy cow.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I vape 80 PG, myself, I'm a MTL-ish vaper and I don't really experience flooding issues. The kind of tanks I like to use provide a somewhat airy MTL draw, I'm not into a super tight draw.

If I'm not mistaken, @Ryedan vapes 100% PG, so hopefully he can provide an opinion, too.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I started at 80/20VG and have since moved to 70/30 so either is fine for me.
Like Huck I'm also in the MTL group.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thinking of DIYing a 100% pg vape but I'm curious to know what the communitys experience is with 100% pg juice. I have no desire for clouds. I use no nicotine so I'm really in it for the flavour and feeling.

I've been vaping 100% PG for a while now.

I vape rebuildable tanks generally between 12 - 30 watts with DIY juice, so only have experience with these setups. It's not a problem for me to avoid flooding. It's all about how much cotton or Rayon I use in the liquid feed area, same as with any thickness juice.

The clouds are less but still there. Flavor carries very well. I lowered the flavoring content of my juices a bit when I lost the VG, but there was not much change. I get my sweetness from a couple of the flavorings I use.

I use no nic sometimes, and sometimes around 0.5 mg/ml of 'dirty' nic that I've heated to enhance its punch. IMO the harshness of PG is overrated. I wish it was harsher because I Iike a bit of TH, but I find I really only get any from nic.

From what you've said above, I suggest you experiment with it. It works for me, but I like that vape experience. You can only try it and see for yourself. It certainly can work well if you get it right for you.

Best of luck with it!

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im totally allergic to Pg. It gives me asthma. The only time vaping irritates my breathing is with PG juice. I recommend VG all day.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've on accident built a few recipies close to 100% PG. while it mechanicaly worked fine in my hardware, the flavor is what killed me. I had a strong astrigent note that was very distracting from the flavors I was goig after. I'm thinking VG balances this out usully. Dunno. Never again, I won't.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I vote nah based purely on my own subjective opinion lol

VU Sponsors