Become a Patron!

10A 18650 battery

Jixil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
So I have these 10A 3500mah 18650 batteries. I know they're not really meant for vaping, but if I have coils that are rated at 0.3 ohms, I'm assuming I can safely use these at 30 watts? Can someone let me know if this is a good idea, and what will happen if I try to vape it at 40-50 watts?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In my opinion if it was me I would not use them for vaping because I use no battery under 20-25 Amps. Just my opinion but I like my face the way it is.

Jixil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
In my opinion if it was me I would not use them for vaping because I use no battery under 20-25 Amps. Just my opinion but I like my face the way it is.

Well the rating is a continuous current rating, meaning what's the maximum current you can continuously draw from discharging while still maintaining a decent battery life. All batteries can draw current higher than what they're rated, it's just not good to do so continuously. However, for vaping, you're never really doing a continuous draw and it's all pulsing.

I should state that I'm also using this in a regulated mod.

I'm pretty sure this is safe, but I just wanted to see if other people have tried or have opinions from using unconventional 18650 batteries.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm pretty sure this is safe, but I just wanted to see if other people have tried or have opinions from using unconventional 18650 batteries.

I gave you my opinion but if you know so much why are you even asking if it is safe? It isn't safe enough for me and that was my opinion.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Not using a 10A cell to vape with. Nor would I suugest to do so. Just curious as to exacty what battery your talking about.

Jixil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I gave you my opinion but if you know so much why are you even asking if it is safe? It isn't safe enough for me and that was my opinion.

Technically speaking, I feel like it should be safe and I was just curious if anyone else has tried it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Technically speaking, I feel like it should be safe and I was just curious if anyone else has tried it.

No one would try because they probably agree with my opinion being it isn't safe even with a regulated device. I would probably put money on your device saying a minimum of a 20A cell for it. Even being regulated it does have certain requirements to work in the allowable safe ranges. Again just my opinion but if you think it is worth risking life and limb to save an average of around $5 a cell go for it. But remember the old saying................. Told you so

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They're these, and I can basically get them for free, which was why I wanted to use it

https://liionwholesale.com/products/panasonic-sanyo-ncr18650ga-flat-top-1?variant=12534245700
Ahh... A common battery used in PC battery packs and such...

I recall when harvesting pack batterys were frowned on and got one yelled at.
But now that is where most of the good 2X7XX batteries seem to come from....

As long as you stay at or below the CDR rating of the battery you should be ok.
however I suspect that at 10 amps the voltage sag out of that battery is going to be pretty bad.

Jixil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Ahh... A common battery used in PC battery packs and such...

I recall when harvesting pack batterys were frowned on and got one yelled at.
But now that is where most of the good 2X7XX batteries seem to come from....

As long as you stay at or below the CDR rating of the battery you should be ok.
however I suspect that at 10 amps the voltage sag out of that battery is going to be pretty bad.

I can basically get these cells brand new from work. I'm not harvesting them out of packs.

In any case, I'm using this site as a basis to test the safety of this cell: http://blog.thevaporist.org/2015/12/29/regulated-mods/

The device I'm using has a DNA75c chip, you can find the datasheet here: https://downloads.evolvapor.com/dna75color.pdf

So going by all that information given, my current draw pulled from the DNA75c chip is as follows:
At 4.2 volts (Max): (30*100/85)/4.2 = 8.4amps
At 3.6 volts: (30*100/85)/3.6 = 9.8amps
At 3.1 volts: (30*100/85)/3.1 = 11.4 amps

Pull from the coil:
Current: √(30/.3) = 10A
Voltage: √(30*.3) = 3V

Basically as long as my battery isn't so low the point where voltage drops to 3.1v, I don't see what the problem is if I'm vaping at 30 watts. And even if I do vape it at something a little bit higher, again, it will be a pulse current and not a continuous current, so I don't think it will matter too much.

I'm sure there are several people out there who are vaping 100 watts on a 0.15 sub ohm coil using a 30a rated cell, and technically that's going over a little too!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At 9.8 amps draw you will be lucky to get 3.6 volts out of that cell when fully charged is my strong suspicion.

And if those cells have been discharged to under 2.0 volts DO NOT USE AT ALL.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
If you have your heart set on using those batteries, I suggest you get a nice LED flashlight.

They will work just fine in those.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally, for the cost of top notch 20a batteries like the Samsung 25R why even mess about with them, seriously. I could see if batteries were like $50+ a piece but the cost of a good Smurf waste of both time and money. The performance of a 10a-12a battery would seriously suck, there's a point from going from being frugal to being fucking cheap. Liion Wholesale lists Smurfs (Samsung 25R) at $4.49

Jixil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I'm not getting them from Liion. I just linked it as a reference. I get these batteries brand new for free from my work, and I was just seeing if anyone had experience with something similar.

here is moochs test results on this battery.
he rates it at 12 amps?

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...ch-retest-results-a-great-10a-battery.774493/

Going off what mooch posted here, it seems they are fine if I'm just going to be vaping it at 30w, so thanks for this!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
@ 30W your at about a dollar a month for good batts. Comon....your overjoyed with free batteries. You went for dna then give it those batts?... I dont get it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Can someone let me know if this is a good idea,

You have already had many members give you opinions saying it is a BAD IDEA but you want to quote all this info proving us wrong so why even start this thread since 3 out of 4 vapers tell you it is a stupid idea? See you on the next 15 minutes of fame viral video.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think everyone is getting a bit over zealous with the safety concerns. It’s a 12amp battery, he’s using it within its range (@30w) on a DNA. He obviously knows what he’s doing and understands battery safety. Sure there are better ways and better tools but he’s not going to blow anything up.

That being said, get some 30q’s from the place you listed above. You will get great performance at those wattages and resistance.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not getting them from Liion. I just linked it as a reference. I get these batteries brand new for free from my work, and I was just seeing if anyone had experience with something similar.

Going off what mooch posted here, it seems they are fine if I'm just going to be vaping it at 30w, so thanks for this!
Smurfs are very common and available in North America/South America, APAC and EMEA so again why even mess about with 10a batteries? Seriously

rxmilitia

Member For 4 Years
Is 30watts going to satisfy? I’m running a .46 coil right now at 42watts and I don’t like warm vapor.

I guess you’re set on using those batteries. So I’m not sure why you even made the thread. No one wants to see someone get hurt just to save chump change that’s why people are chiming in left and right.

I wish you the best and stay safe

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think everyone is getting a bit over zealous with the safety concerns. It’s a 12amp battery, he’s using it within its range (@30w) on a DNA. He obviously knows what he’s doing and understands battery safety. Sure there are better ways and better tools but he’s not going to blow anything up.

That being said, get some 30q’s from the place you listed above. You will get great performance at those wattages and resistance.
Yep. As long as he knows what he has and uses them within their limitations he is good to go.

When I first started out I used some 6 amp batteries at 7-12 watts and many gave me hell over it.
Still here though.

Jixil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I'm well aware of battery safety and I asked because I know using a 10a cell isn't something common. However, from my research and calculations, I don't see why this wouldn't work for my needs. I asked because I wanted to see if anyone else has actually tested something similar. Obviously not, by all these responses, just a bunch of people saying it's dumb without actually trying.

I'm within the safety parameters so even those the output isn't as high, doesn't mean it won't work.

And the reason why I'm even doing this is because the only coil I have right now is this one and there's still a couple of weeks before I get better batteries for the device I'm using. I just happen to have access to these batteries right now and was curious if others have tried and what their experiences were.

And yes, I'm going to trust mooch's opinion over everyone else's because he's a reputable person who has actually taken the time and done testing and not just scream bloody murder because the numbers are different than what everyone else uses without actually testing them.

I work for a reputable battery company so I know they're not smurfs, and I know enough about battery safety to have some sort of idea of what I'm doing. When I thought about testing this, I thought it'd be fun to have a civilized conversation about what others might think. I guess all people want to do on the internet is yell at you and say how dumb you are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As I said i used 6 amp cells at 7-12 watts a few years ago.
heck the device would only got up to 15 watts :)

I got lots of you will blow yer face off and the same types of responses you got here.
But as long as you know what you are doing and stay within the limits of the cell you will be fiine.
ignore the noise from the crowd.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm well aware of battery safety and I asked because I know using a 10a cell isn't something common. However, from my research and calculations, I don't see why this wouldn't work for my needs. I asked because I wanted to see if anyone else has actually tested something similar. Obviously not, by all these responses, just a bunch of people saying it's dumb without actually trying.

I'm within the safety parameters so even those the output isn't as high, doesn't mean it won't work.

And the reason why I'm even doing this is because the only coil I have right now is this one and there's still a couple of weeks before I get better batteries for the device I'm using. I just happen to have access to these batteries right now and was curious if others have tried and what their experiences were.

And yes, I'm going to trust mooch's opinion over everyone else's because he's a reputable person who has actually taken the time and done testing and not just scream bloody murder because the numbers are different than what everyone else uses without actually testing them.

I work for a reputable battery company so I know they're not smurfs, and I know enough about battery safety to have some sort of idea of what I'm doing. When I thought about testing this, I thought it'd be fun to have a civilized conversation about what others might think. I guess all people want to do on the internet is yell at you and say how dumb you are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Well that's a lot more information than the OP. Don't get your panties in a bunch for you should be aware of all the flyby's that come through do stupid shit like recycling laptop power sources.

Personally I'd only vape a 10a around 0.5 or 0.4 resistance. Anyway if you're schooled on battery safety then 0.3 is perfectly fine.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well that's a lot more information than the OP. Don't get your panties in a bunch for you should be aware of all the flyby's that come through do stupid shit like recycling laptop power sources.
or recycling power tool power pack cells? Which is a common thing now.

if you know what the cell is and it's specs and stay within the specs of the cell it is fine.

with any recycled power pack cell you must make sure not to damage the cell removing the spot welded straps and such.

Mooch comments on this.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
with any recycled power pack cell you must make sure not to damage the cell removing the spot welded straps and such. Mooch comments on this.
He comments, but I haven't seen him condone it. He's said if you choose to do that it is up to you.
I think removing them from pack without damaging would be easier than getting the solder/weld bumps off the top and bottom, as you could easily remove battery top cap or bottom material while removing those marks/bumps. It's not like you could just sand them off and take some battery with it. And what if the marks are voids in the battery's material from removing the solder or spot welds...............I'll just wait for new ones.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He comments, but I haven't seen him condone it. He's said if you choose to do that it is up to you.
I think removing them from pack without damaging would be easier than getting the solder/weld bumps off the top and bottom, as you could easily remove battery top cap or bottom material while removing those marks/bumps. It's not like you could just sand them off and take some battery with it. And what if the marks are voids in the battery's material from removing the solder or spot welds...............I'll just wait for new ones.
He has refused to say that buying the recycled cells are ok/safe.
however he implies that if properly done it is fine.
You must use very fine needle nose pliers and roll up the strap to remove it and then gently sand any bumps from the cell ends and make sure you have not created any holes in the case. esp on the bottom which is pretty thin.
Officially i will not recommend this either since I am not sure of a persons skillset.
Same as Mooch.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
That sand the bumps off part is what I referred to as being the hardest. Perfectly sanding a small bump off of a convex surface has it's challenges when the integrity of the surface is considered. I wouldn't want a top cap or bottom that has sanding scratches on it, much less any material removed from sanding.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That sand the bumps off part is what I referred to as being the hardest. Perfectly sanding a small bump off of a convex surface has it's challenges when the integrity of the surface is considered. I wouldn't want a top cap or bottom that has sanding scratches on it, much less any material removed from sanding.
You use very fine sandpaper and only on the bump to be removed.
Afterwards it is no worse than switch bumps on a cell from a tube mech.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Does a tube mech make 4 bumps on top and 4 on bottom?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does a tube mech make 4 bumps on top and 4 on bottom?
usually makes a circle type pattern on the bottom and smooshes in the top if screwed together too tight.

Yep removing the spot weld spikes take some precision skill to do right and why I will not officially recommend it.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
or recycling power tool power pack cells? Which is a common thing now.

if you know what the cell is and it's specs and stay within the specs of the cell it is fine.

with any recycled power pack cell you must make sure not to damage the cell removing the spot welded straps and such.

Mooch comments on this.
Ive heard about people using batteries out of tools. Like someone will buy a cordless drill? That isn't that cheap. Just to take the batteries out if the pack? Doesn't seem like it would be worth it unless said batteries sell for 20-25 bucks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive heard about people using batteries out of tools. Like someone will buy a cordless drill? That isn't that cheap. Just to take the batteries out if the pack? Doesn't seem like it would be worth it unless said batteries sell for 20-25 bucks.

That is currently pretty much the only source for the best 21700? Cells.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

The battery pack can be purchased separately. I think they're upwards of $150US, and I think 10 batteries. Something semi-sorta-similar to that affect. So yeah, a lot of trouble for marginal gain imo.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The battery pack can be purchased separately. I think they're upwards of $150US, and I think 10 batteries. Something semi-sorta-similar to that affect. So yeah, a lot of trouble for marginal gain imo.
Oh ok I didn't Google or anything to see the size of the battery packs. I was thinking like a 4 pack like the size of my drill.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is currently pretty much the only source for the best 21700? Cells.
Yea that's what I've heard. The red sanyos I think. Wonder why no one else makes a battery with those specs if it's a competitive market.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Oh ok I didn't Google or anything to see the size of the battery packs. I was thinking like a 4 pack like the size of my drill.

I just googled myself to refresh what I saw a while back. the pack does have 10 batteries and the going rate seems to be 2 bills(maybe lower elsewhere).
DeWalt 20V Max 6.0Ah Pack

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Yea that's what I've heard. The red sanyos I think. Wonder why no one else makes a battery with those specs if it's a competitive market.

Pretty sure Vapcell Gold is a rewrap or same mooch specs. Basically unavailable as well. One of their reps and I have corresponded over that one and MOQ is 100 @ 6.50 ea. Pretty sure I can get 30T but MOQ is 50 @ 5.90 ea $450ish shipped

sorry for the super bump

I just bought these cells NCR18650GA for a light and figured they might work in a vape. I don't vape, but i thought I'd give it a try. So i was wondering, is there an update to how it went? Did the cells fail in a handful of cycles?

I'd really like to know what it's a good set up for this NCR18650GA cell in a single cell configuration. is a .5-.7ohm too low W to satisfy someone who's used to unfiltered smoking? how can i tell what viscosity will be too much for this?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
That's a 10 amp battery and you want to run it in a single-battery mod? No way I'd do that, and I can't believe that anyone here who knows anything at all about batteries would tell you it's ok. Low voltage protection in some mods may keep the thing from firing at all with a battery like that.

Good batteries are half the price they were five years ago. The last dozen or so Molicell P26A or Samsung 25R that I've bought have been about $4.99 each at the 18650batterystore.com. There is no reason to take that kind of a chance with a low-powered battery.

0.5 to 0.7 ohms, you could run that at anywhere from about 20 to 40 watts, depending on the coil and how warm you want the vape to be. You need at least a 20A battery. If you're smoking unfiltered cigarettes now, you might want something that packs a little more of a punch anyway, which means going to a dual-battery mod and running coils at about 0.3 ohms or a little lower. Juice at about 6 to 8/9 mg, watts at 50-60. If you want to vape to try to quit smoking, which would be a good idea, you want to take in enough nicotine so that you aren't still jonesing after cigarettes. 9mg at 50 watts I would think would get you there.

Just my two cents. Everybody around here has their own two cents, so just wait a minute and somebody else will give you theirs. :)

Oh, and as far as "viscosity" goes, you'll be ok in either case with anywhere from 35/65 pg/vg to 20/80, as long as you have sub-ohm coils rather than mouth-to-lung coils that are over an ohm in resistance.

Last edited:

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
GettyImages-157191461-800x709.jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Can someone let me know if this is a good idea, and what will happen if I try to vape it at 40-50 watts?
When I thought about testing this, I thought it'd be fun to have a civilized conversation about what others might think. I guess all people want to do on the internet is yell at you and say how dumb you are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You asked for an opinion on your idea. People offered their opinions regarding that idea. I didn't see anyone calling you dumb.

What I saw was you staunchly defending the idea based upon your technical knowledge. You were asked if you were so well versed why bother asking for opinions.

No one called you dumb. Their opinions regarding your idea was that it seemed unsafe. It appeared a civil conversation. You apparently took umbrage as you leapt to defend the idea based on your own knowledge/experience.

Again, no one called you dumb. They said for their own opinion it seemed an unsafe idea. No one attacked you. They merely disagreed with an idea you had and expressed that opinion as you requested.

It still seemed a civil discourse in my opinion. Bottom line being you were asked a question I often find myself asking of people. "If you already know, why ask?" This to me has caused all kinds frustration, even lost a job over it.

Why ask if you know already? Why prod a bear already in your face? I mean that figuratively to illustrate the obviousness. If you already "got all the answers there's no need to ask is there? I mean look, the bear is standing right there in front of you. Do you really need to prod it to know just what will happen?

To me that doesn't seem civil discourse but a means of baiting and hooking. You knew people's general opinions would be that your idea was unsafe. And then you played the victim. Unfortunately some of us can see no one attacked you. They instead gave what you considered an unfavorable opinion on your idea.

You're not a victim. Why try hiding behind the skirt of victim hood? See, it's no fun having someone with "all the answers" asking you an obviously knowable answer, is it?

Here's why I consider what you're presenting as bait and hook.

GENDERSPEAK: Men, Women, and the Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense
Suzette Haden Elgin, Ph.D.
John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1993

Even a minor review by another will help explain my train of thought regarding seeing your post as bait and hook. I write so yes, I look at and read stuff like this.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors