Become a Patron!

26650 Li-Mn battery charging as Ni-mh?

Hi guys,

I would need some assistance on this since this is my first 26650 battery.

I just bought an Imren IMR 26650 3.7V 60A Li-Mn battery 3600mAH (the orange one) and wanted to get it full charged before my new mod comes in tomorrow. Went home and got it plugged into my XTAR VC4 charger and it shows that it's a Ni-mh battery and its only at 1.55v and says it's full. I only charged it for like 10 minutes?

I'm not sure if this is normal but isn't it suppose to be shown as Li-ion and it's suppose to be at 4.2v when fully charged?

Help is very much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You wouldn't happen to have a multi meter so you can test the the voltage of the battery ?

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is your charger capable of charging at 2000mA? I believe that is what is required for 26650 batteries.

MorpheusPA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, if that ever happens again, or an aging battery starts doing that, stop charging it immediately.

As our li-ion batteries fall under about 2 to 2.5 volts (it depends), lithium starts to plate and you get dendrites running through the battery. Applying charge is essentially a hard short.

That can result in a catastrophic failure and venting of the battery, which is really scary and can be dangerous to you or your flammable furnishings.

If you accidentally discharge a battery too low and immediately begin to recharge it, I don't object to that too much in the VC4. Don't walk away and keep an eye on it until normal lithium charging starts. It'll soft start the battery for up to ten minutes, and should recover the voltage into reasonable range. If it doesn't, stop charging and discard the battery.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Your Xtar is only capable of 1A/2 channels, like I said, most 26650 high amp batteries need 2A. Just a suggestion.
Just FYI this isn't true. Charging slower is never a problem.

As others have mentioned the battery is bad and if you see this again don't leave it on the charger. Basically the voltage is too low to be a li-ion battery so it assumes it's NiMH.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just FYI this isn't true. Charging slower is never a problem.

As others have mentioned the battery is bad and if you see this again don't leave it on the charger. Basically the voltage is too low to be a li-ion battery so it assumes it's NiMH.
Thanks!

VU Sponsors