Become a Patron!

.3 ohms vs 1.2 ohms?

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a co worker that says that a .15 to .3 ohms has better flavour than a regular ohm vape. Is this true? Why is .3 better or 1.2 better?

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a co worker that says that a .15 to .3 ohms has better flavour than a regular ohm vape. Is this true? Why is .3 better or 1.2 better?
Lots of variables here. Coil radiant heat value, wicking medium, juice PG/VG blend, coil net surface area/resistance/coil count in parallel, battery continuous and pulse discharge potential and air flow... to name but a few, all have substantial effects on flavor concentration and vapor density.

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The one I hear most often is above 1 ohms has more flavour than sub ohm. Some say its the other way around? I get a different type of taste with sub ohm and regular ohm on the same liquid.

State O flux: thats a lot to take in. I should start at the beginning with the liquid, generally PG carries more flavour than VG?

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
State O flux: thats a lot to take in. I should start at the beginning with the liquid, generally PG carries more flavour than VG?
As every variable can be complimentary to another... or a cluster-fuck of compounded disasters, knowing one thing won't get you very far without knowing at least a few more.
The thing is - generally speaking - one either wants to learn how to optimize build to wattage and visa versa... or one doesn't care enough to put forth the effort... and just hope it will magically all work out.

I'm not so sure I'd use the term "more" when speaking of flavor, as juice blending, and tastes can be pretty subjective. The general consensus is that PG does a better job of "brightening" flavors... while VG tends to dull them.
Perhaps why folks who run low resistance, high surface area builds at high wattages tend to use high VG. The increase in vapor density VG provides tends to offset that dulling effect... at least, that's my observation.

If you want to learn more about the values I mentioned in the first post, a good place to start would be clicking on my sigline hyperlinks below. It's a substantial amount of information to take in... but I promise, there's no test at the end.
wink.gif

If you run into anything you don't quite get... you're welcome to PM me, or in the case of those folks mentioned in the various articles, they're all good people and won't mind you PM'ing them either.

Cheers.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I'm lazy (more often than not), I just slap a 0.8 ohm coil on a VW mod and don't worry about it.

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lots of variables here. Coil radiant heat value, wicking medium, juice PG/VG blend, coil net surface area/resistance/coil count in parallel, battery continuous and pulse discharge potential and air flow... to name but a few, all have substantial effects on flavor concentration and vapor density.

For regulated device what's written above is correct and resistance on its own is not relevant.
With a mech however the resistance directly effects the wattage which effects the heat of the vape.

A hotter vape doesn't necessarily means better flavor, in fact at some point excessive heat kills the flavor.

Thomas L

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would say 0.3ohm produces bigger clouds while 1.2ohm produces a better throat hit. It all depends on preference, but the lower the ohm, the lower nicotine I would go with. If you are trying to chase clouds, go with 0.3, but if you want something like a cigarette, go with 1.2ohm.

Spent

Member For 4 Years
Just from personal experience I assumed lower was better. Just the other day in a good old fashioned kayfun 4 28 gage kanthal, 3mm 12 wraps (2.5 ohms) not to tight together, japanese cotton, I keep it under 20 watts. I love it, nice clouds and great flavor. Who would have thunk it? Maybe in these new fangled sub ohms tanks I have I will give a max ohm build a try.

VU Sponsors