Become a Patron!
I bought my dad a Smok Morph 40 for Christmas. He was a 2 pack smoker for 45 years. With that in mind, I decided I would buy him the 50mg Salt Nic. The device came with two coils. One RPM .4 and one RPM .6 coil. I am now understanding that these are considered sub-ohms.

My sister has the same device and she is using an RPM 1.2 Quartz coil with 48mg Salt Nic.

One of my questions is, with the higher levels of nicotine what is the best coil to use. Should I stick with buying him the .6 coils or go with what my sister is telling me to buy, the 1.2 coils?

My last question is, is there a good rebuildable coil for this device. I have watched a couple of reviews on youtube of the Smok RPM rebuildable and the reviewer said, "don't waste the $12 buying this." So, I am not sure.

He has stopped smoking completely now and if I buy the wrong coil and he doesn't like it, he may decide to get a pack of cigarettes, which I am trying to avoid.

Thank you so much for helping a noobie out and for your time, patience, and assistance with this.

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
with the higher levels of nicotine what is the best coil to use. Should I stick with buying him the .6 coils or go with what my sister is telling me to buy, the 1.2 coils?
At that high a nic concentration, I'd suggest strongly the 1.2 Ohm coil.
That said, everyone is different. He may prefer the .6.
Any reason not to let him try both?
Adjusting the airflow may make a difference in his experience, too. My guess is he'd want a draw & inhale similar to a cigarette. That'll generally mean higher Ohms & less airflow.

is there a good rebuildable coil for this device.
Wotofo makes an RPM-compatible RBA (ReBuildable Atomizer). It's called the SMRT Rebuildable Coil Kit and comes in options for RPM, Nord, & Voopoo PnP. Don't have one myself so can't comment on how good it might be.

Another option is to get an RTA (Rebuildable Tank Atomizer). There are many good ones. Given what you've said, I'd suggest one that says it's for MTL (Mouth-To-Lung). OXVA's Arbiter Solo, Innokin's Ares 2 LE, Hellvape's MD, & Oumier's Wasp Nano MTL come to mind as easy-to-build MTL RTAs with decent reputations. There are others, too.

Wishing your dad success.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
High-nicotine nic salts liquid isn't intended to be used with sub-ohm coils. The risk is the intake of too much nicotine; in fact, he could have some very unpleasant effects from that, to include dizziness, nausea, rapid pulse, among others.

Imo, you need to either get him some e-liquid that is no more than 18mg, or you need to switch him to the 1.2 ohm coil. You can weigh the option of an RBA or RTA as well, but if he is already using the device, the coil or e-liquid change needs to be made right away.

As @Freyja stated, with that level of nicotine, if you do decide to buy a rebuildable tank (RTA), it should be listed as MTL (mouth-to-lung) and the wire for the coils in it should be plain round wire of a lighter gauge, between 26AWG and 30AWG.

So, you are suggesting, that due to the higher level of nicotine content that I do use the 1.2-ohm coil? As I lower his nicotine content, then drop the ohm level as well?

I was doing a bit of research after posting this and came across the SMRT RPM Mesh-Cotton set, but the only ohms I can find it in are .4 and .6. Is this sold in a 1.2?

And, if he has gotten used to the .6-ohm triple coil, is there really a need to change that? Also, I have noticed that there is a difference in viscosity, how can I tell before I buy a salt nic bottle what the ratio is? What is the best coil for something that may be a little thicker?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
If he has gotten used to the 0.6 ohm coil, then you're better off getting him some lower-nic liquid. What I am saying to you is that with a sub-ohm coil, he will go through liquid faster, and ingest more nicotine, so either the nic needs to be dropped, or the ohms of the coil need to be raised AND he needs to vape less frequently than a person normally would with a sub-ohm tank.

I'm not familiar with those SMRT coils. If you can only find them in 0.4 and 0.6, then I would surmise that those are the only resistances they come in.

If you're buying liquid at a brick & mortar store, get the staff to help you find the PG/VG ratio. If you're ordering it online, the liquid description should say. The 1.2 ohm coil will probably be better with a 50/50 or 40/60 liquid, sub-ohms can use thicker mixtures.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
if he has gotten used to the .6-ohm triple coil, is there really a need to change that?
It would be good to know how he's vaping that 50mg in that device. Any way he wants is ok as long ads he's not smoking but knowing if it's mtl or dl would help.
I'm in agreement that 50mg is too much for that device since it really isn't designed for mtl.
If DL, go with freebase nic at 6mg, or 9/12 might be better just starting out. But with 6 he could just vape more if needed. That's the usual - start low and vape more if needed/increase mg if needed - to avoid nic sic.

Not all the same, but for me @ almost 2 pcks a day for 41 yrs I started w/ a true mtl device/15mg, after some months I moved to dl/12mg then soon lowered to 9mg and continued to 3mg.

But yeah, how does he vape it?

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Unfortunately there is no single style of vape that works for all. I smoked two plus packs for 45 + years. Vaping since 2014. It has been a journey of experimentation... I can't comment on the morph 40 but salt nic is only useful for those seeking to maintain a nic buzz...

Two thoughts; not all devices work for everyone
Consider a true aio, one that does mtl and dtl.....a solid 510 so if the pods don't work for you there are hundreds of tanks to use...

So, I am thoroughly confused. Are you explaining to me that the device I purchased and was advised could use salt nic, should not be used with that? I am not sure what you are meaning with mouth to lung or direct to lung? He has the device set at the recommended watts for the coil, which I believe is 12 watts. He almost smokes from it like he is smoking a cigarette.

Now when you say freebase liquid, what is that? Is that the bottle of salt nic in the 30ml bottles? Because that is what I was advised to purchase. I am looking at the bottle of salt nic that I purchased for him and I am not seeing any type of ratio on it. Just the mg of the nicotine and the size of the bottle. It is Salt Bae Sweet Carmel Tobacco.

If this device is not recommended for this type of liquid, could use please specify a device that would be best for this type; preferably made by Smok or any other company that is MTL and compact in form like the Smok Morph Pod-40. Thank you so much.

I am so sorry, as I don't smoke and am learning from the beginning. And thank you for the wishes for my dad.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
So, I am thoroughly confused. Are you explaining to me that the device I purchased and was advised could use salt nic, should not be used with that? I am not sure what you are meaning with mouth to lung or direct to lung? He has the device set at the recommended watts for the coil, which I believe is 12 watts. He almost smokes from it like he is smoking a cigarette.

Now when you say freebase liquid, what is that? Is that the bottle of salt nic in the 30ml bottles? Because that is what I was advised to purchase. I am looking at the bottle of salt nic that I purchased for him and I am not seeing any type of ratio on it. Just the mg of the nicotine and the size of the bottle. It is Salt Bae Sweet Carmel Tobacco.

If this device is not recommended for this type of liquid, could use please specify a device that would be best for this type; preferably made by Smok or any other company that is MTL and compact in form like the Smok Morph Pod-40. Thank you so much.

I am so sorry, as I don't smoke and am learning from the beginning. And thank you for the wishes for my dad.

Simple answer: if he's vaping at 12 watts and 48mg nic, get the 1.2 ohm coils.

Is this the device he's using?

1641239979383.png

This device is a pod mod and does not use a real tank.

I think I've gotten confused because there is also a Smok Morph that is like a standard box mod, and it uses a separate tank. Looks like this:

1641240072732.png

If he is using the pod mod (first picture) then really the easiest choice you have is to get the 1.2 ohm coils. I don't know how he's getting a decent vape on a 0.6 ohm coil at 12 watts. Isn't it flooding and gurgling? Getting liquid in his mouth? Sure seems like it would be.

People who have just stopped smoking seem to be more comfortable with lower-wattage settings but higher ohm values on the coil. It has to do with the way the vapor is drawn into the mouth and then inhaled into the lungs (in other words, MTL) - this technique is more like smoking a cigarette. People who've been vaping a while often switch to direct-to-lung vaping, which is just a different way of inhaling the vapor. With your father having been a smoker, it will be less of an adjustment for him if you get the 1.2 ohm coils.

The 0.4 and 0.6 ohm coils that came with the pod mod are for lower-nicotine juice.

Freebase is just regular nicotine. Salt nicotine is regular nicotine that has been treated with an acid to change its properties so that it has less throat hit. Devices that use salt nic are meant to be used for a drag or two now and then, not to sit and vape a lot over a longer period of time. If a person tried to vape 48mg freebase nicotine liquid, it would tear up his/her throat, would be very harsh.

Hope this helps.

Almost means he will drag on it five, to eight times wait ten minutes, and then drag again the same number of times.

He is using the device pictured above - the first one.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am not sure what you are meaning with mouth to lung or direct to lung?
Does he first draw it into his mouth and hold it there before inhaling? If so that is mouth to lung or MTL vaping.

Does he draw it through his mouth directly down his throat/windpipe into his lungs? If so that's direct lung or DL vaping. There's also RDL vaping which concerns how the airflow is set on a tank, or dripper.

Tank is not a pod as it is a Rebuildable Tank Atomizer, or RTA. Tanks do though have a reservoir for juice.

Dripper is not a pod because it is Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer, or RDA. There are also RSA which are made for squonking. They are simply RDA with capillary 510 pins.

There's pros & cons to each different type of atomizer.

Some prefer fashion and stealth, so like using Pods.

Some don't want to drip and think Tanks provide good flavor.

Some think dripping, using RDAs offers better flavor.

Short of it none of them are right, or wrong. These are matters of preference for each person vaping, the same as MTL or DL are preferences.

If he is using the pod mod (first picture) then really the easiest choice you have is to get the 1.2 ohm coils. I don't know how he's getting a decent vape on a 0.6 ohm coil at 12 watts. Isn't it flooding and gurgling? Getting liquid in his mouth? Sure seems like it would be.

I don't use Pod gear myself but do agree with @nadalama's assessment. She's fairly keen on a lot of the newer gear and vaping in general. She even fusses to be sure I'm not drowning in juice using mechanical mods.

Also agree your dad might be getting too much nicotine at once. I'm not a usual case for many reasons. I have vaped 18mg/ml nicotine for well almost a decade now. Tried lowering but that didn't suit in my case.

Any given figure your getting about half your strength absorbed. So me at 18mg is getting about 9mg per draw. Your dad is getting around 24mg. Think I read somewhere on average folks get about 11mg daily from contact, eating veggies, ... it comes to us naturally that way. Wish I could recall where I saw that.

I'll apologize if wrong. My point is too much nicotine can make a person sick, maybe lend toward a stroke. No, nicotine itself doesn't cause cancer. It does though restrict blood vessels. Not telling this as a scare, only to offer information, give you choices.

Last edited:
He is direct to lung vapor. He does not hold it, just a straight inhale.

Can you tell me what a triple coil .6 would be good for? And what would be the best mod to get him if I want to stick with the 50mg salt nic and direct to lung vaping style? If this one is not good for that. I am going to go and buy the 1.2-ohm coil tomorrow. Thank you.
Does he first draw it into his mouth and hold it there before inhaling? If so that is mouth to lung or MTL vaping.

Does he draw it through his mouth directly down his throat/windpipe into his lungs? If so that's direct lung or DL vaping. There's also RDL vaping which concerns how the airflow is set on a tank, or dripper.

Tank is not a pod as it is a Rebuildable Tank Atomizer, or RTA. Tanks do though have a reservoir for juice.

Dripper is not a pod because it is Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer, or RDA. There are also RSA which are made for squonking. They are simply RDA with capillary 510 pins.

There's pros & cons to each different type of atomizer.

Some prefer fashion and stealth, so like using Pods.

Some don't want to drip and think Tanks provide good flavor.

Some think dripping, using RDAs offers better flavor.

Short of it none of them are right, or wrong. These are matters of preference for each person vaping, the same as MTL or DL are preferences.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
He is direct to lung vapor. He does not hold it, just a straight inhale.

Can you tell me what a triple coil .6 would be good for? And what would be the best mod to get him if I want to stick with the 50mg salt nic and direct to lung vaping style? If this one is not good for that. I am going to go and buy the 1.2-ohm coil tomorrow. Thank you.

Yep, the 1.2 ohm coil is what I would use. The 0.6o ohm one won't fully evaporate the juice correctly. It might "cook" it but that's not what you want either.

Don't worry over being confused. There's a lot to take in, unlike with cigarettes. But then, the choices you get with vaping are what keep us enjoying it. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But the Morph Pod-40 is okay with the Salt Nic at that mg. level - correct? With the 1.2-ohm coil.

It ought to be, though I too would err on trying to lower his nicotine strength if/when he can.

The 18mg/ml I use is freebase, just nicotine and veggie glycerine. As said I tried doing 12mg/ml for about a week. It didn't suit me.

But also as said I'm an oddball, most external stuff I ingest consume takes a bit for me. Example, Tylenol takes about two hours to work for me. Got internal stuff going on what throws me out of whack. Think Wolverine from the X-men, that's kind of what I'm keen.

Usual case as @Vape Fan sggests is starting at around 6 to 9 mg/ml strength.

Ultimately, this is up to you & your dad. Not saying that mean. It just is though. You & he need to decide. We can offer advice sure. No one here so far is hoping up with a badge of authority. And you'll find that here, no one will tell you what to do. Our advice is from our experience doing, from looking stuff up, wash, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
But the Morph Pod-40 is okay with the Salt Nic at that mg. level - correct? With the 1.2-ohm coil.
Yes, but..
What he's Doing now, DL w/the .6Ω, keeps him from smoking? Why change the coil? Why change it to a coil that changes what he's doing?
If he is DL w/.6 then he has it set at 12W because the nic is so high.
Lower the nic and he can turn it up if he wants more throat/nic hit to simulate that part of a hit off a cig.
There no reason to try to DL on any device while using salt.
1st is choosing the style to vape and a device that accomplishes that.
2nd is the nic and that can be salt or regular - depending on the device.
After 1 and 2 is
3. Choosing the correct nic type, in a strength that stops the smoking. Start low. And if vaping a lot, like chain vaping or close to it, add more nic till the desire to vape so much subsides.
His style is DL, so change the juice to freebase regular nic. Don't try to manipulate everything to accommodate juice already bought.

What are we doing here? Stop smoking? Or purposely vape 50mg nic salt -

Last edited:

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Don't try to manipulate everything to accommodate juice already bought.
^ THIS ^

Compared to cigarettes these days, juice is cheap & coils are cheap. The best way for a person just starting to vape is to try different things and thus find what works best for them ... Different coils, nic levels, flavors, wattage settings. It can be fun. No need to be concerned about the device; what you've got is flexible enough to accommodate your dad's needs & wants. In your shoes, I'd get the 1.2 Ohm coils and a small bottle of 12mg juice, then let him play and see where it goes.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you, everyone, for your advice and patience.
*gives a polite hug & steps back*

Know you're doing what seems right by thanking those what help. Yes, you are too. Still here's a better way to offer gratitude & not possibly offending those helping. Join our cause, start helping others.

You seem to have gotten a good start so far, in helping your dad. :) And no I'm not in the least offended to hear/read a thank you. I'm only expressing a different way to express gratitude. Helpers help those what help.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
He is going to need more juice... also going to need more coils. I suggest getting both (some 1.2 coils for his current juice and some 12 mg juice for his current coils) Just forget the "salts" vs "freebase" thing... there is no such thing as "this is designed for salts" (that's just a marketing gimmic) All that matter is the nic strength. Basically salts are smoother (less harsh on the throat) but that' only matters at higher nic levels. Also, salts were meant to be used in small pods that produce less vapor. This became popular when the small pod devices came out. Freebase simple means regular nic juice (generally comes in 3, 6 and 12 mg... 18 mg is getting harder to find) MTL and DL are not strictly about how you vape... it's more of an easy way to compare the vapor produced (and also has to do with airflow)
MTL: lower watts, less vapor, less airflow (tighter draw)
DL: higher watts, more vapor, more airflow (looser draw)
In between is called RDL (restricted direct lung)
Hope this helps... it's a lot to learn but we are here to help.
The juice you described is know as a RY4 tobacco (I make my own and also many other flavors) That might help you find another similar juice.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you find a 12 mg regular nic juice, it will most likely be 70VG/30PG which is better for those coils that he has. He can also use higher power (watts) but no need to go too high. It should say on the coils the recommended watts (generally use the lower number)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If one scrolls the first list box (Type & Resistance) to the bottom, a RBA coil assembly can be found. ~ $10 for a 5 pack of coil assemblies isn't terrible, still you can save money rebuilding. A couple spools of wire can be got for ~> $20 + the RBA for ~ $10 that's ~ $30 for possibly two years of coils.

Say you'd go through a 5 pack per month at ~ $10 each you're looking at ~ $120 for factory made coils per year compared to ~ $15 per year rebuilding. All you're out is some time, maybe four hours total to learn to build basic coils. And yes even basic coils can do well.

Below is a pic.

smok_rpm_replacement_coils_rba_-_rba_top_cap_removed_1.jpg

On the right side looking at the pic you see the "top cap"/"chimney" of the RBA. The "deck" / "fire pit" / "guts" where the coil rests is on the left.

The top cap will usually have slots/slits or holes to let juice come into the deck. The wick in the coil slurps up the juice for the coil to heat. Yo place two leads, positive and negative under screws on the deck. Your coil is between the leads.

You retain the top cap and deck, remove and discard the old / worn out coil, replace it with a fresh one. This way you don't need to keep buying packs of "coils" / "coil assemblies". Wish manufactures didn't use misleading terms on that. The assemblies are not coils specifically themselves.

What you buy getting packs like this are 5 cheap disposable decks and coils. Get the RBA you get a durable and lasting deck which can use disposable coils. You also pay more for the convenience of throw away decks and not learning to rebuild.

See how stupid / lazy manufactures consider end users? Go watch some Youtube videos om basic coil building. Can nearly guarantee you that after ten minutes of doing so you'll be wanting to rebuild yourself. That was all it took for me.

Full disclosure for fairness: I'm a frugal bastard, not THE frugal bastige (@The Cromwell). Still I like to save money best I can, where I can.

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The RBA is a good idea (even just to keep for future use) All you need is simple round wire and some cotton (both cheap and easy to get) I started out making coils on a nail and cutting the leads with toenail clippers... talk about cheap!

He is doing well with it. He has not had the desire to have a cigarette, almost since he switched over to the Morph Pod.

I did switch him to the 1.0 coil, they were currently out of stock on the 1.2.

What would be used to thin down a Salt that is burning a coil too quickly?

Thank you so much for inquiring about him. I have never seen him go so long without coughing. The cigarettes really did a number on him but now that he is vaping he has an easier time and does not cough as much as what he did before.

I don't think he will ever use it to actually stop, I am just glad that it replaced those smelly sticks. However, I think it is a bit healthier than smoking. So Vape On Dad!

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's great to hear.
What would be used to thin down a Salt that is burning a coil too quickly?
I'm not sure I understand but most likely other reasons for "burning" a coil quickly. Does it have a "scortched" taste? Make sure to "prime" the coils before the first use. Maybe start with lower wattage at first to help the coil break in. Shorter draws and a pause in between also helps.
Thinning a salt juice? I think most are 5oVG/50PG... plenty thin.
If you meant the coil seems to be getting clogged and taste odd (but not scortched) musch of that is caused by the juice... darker sweeter ones.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not really but... it is possible to remove the coil, soak in ethyl alcohol (cheap vodka), blow the alcohol out of the coil and dry (and I mean good and dry... like 24 hours) Most of the time this doesn't really help but I just did that for a coil I thought was getting gunky but when I looked down inside it wasn't that bad (and had already put a new coil in)

VU Sponsors