Become a Patron!

A little restoration on an old gem

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd bought this classic Skeleton Key mech mod with Doge v2 RDA from @MrMeowgi awhile back. I just love it.

He'd done a beautiful job putting a custom patina on it years ago, but it hadn't seen use in some time. I knew this before I bought it so isn't his fault at all. It just needed some TLC to get it in top vaping shape again. I figured I'd document my work as this is a one of a kind mod. :)

The tube was in good shape, just some minor thread cleaning and stuff. The atty and switch needed a bit more work however.

As in total disassembly and cleaning to remove oxidation and other gunk buildup. The RDA was frozen to the mod too, It took a big rubber band, a shop towel, and a gentle use of pliers to free it without damaging the patina.

Set everything to soak that I could, the rest I cleaned by hand.

Here's the switch, you can see the oxidation and verdigris buildup here. The switch on one of these should be like butter, but the years had a toll on this....

IMG_6219.jpg

After a through bath and a lot of work with a greeny-sponge and q-tips, the 'ol Doge v2 atty and the mod's topcap are nearly new again.

IMG_6220.jpg

Even the switch came out pretty well. Some of it I can't get 100%, but it's working smooth again and has good conductivity as it should. A pinky-flick locks it once again too....ya gotta lock this to set it down...it is just too heavy otherwise and will autofire. ;)

IMG_6233.jpg

Managed to save all of the o-rings that had dried up and were frozen in the channels too.
I"d say it is back to 90% of what it'd been when it was being used. I did not want to just strip the copper...not going for shiny...but a safe and well-working classic mod/atty back to where it was in 2017.

IMG_6232.jpg

Built a classic coil for a classic setup. :D
(It's 26 ga wire, forgot to put that on the pic)

IMG_6234.jpg

It's hitting like a beast, it may be old but man this thing is not only beautiful but it kicks serious azz for vaping too. Even on a single coil it's spectacular.

Did I mention it's gorgeous? Because it is.

IMG_6240.jpg

MrMeowgi is da man...I'm so grateful to have ownership of this piece of vaping history and I did say it'd be used once again.

It most certainly will be. :cheers:

IMG_6244.jpg

Last edited:

2naphish

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'd bought this classic Skeleton Key mech mod with Doge v2 RDA from @MrMeowgi awhile back. I just love it.

He'd done a beautiful job putting a custom patina on it years ago, but it hadn't seen use in some time. I knew this before I bought it so isn't his fault at all. It just needed some TLC to get it in top vaping shape again. I figured I'd document my work as this is a one of a kind mod. :)

The tube was in good shape, just some minor thread cleaning and stuff. The atty and switch needed a bit more work however.

As in total disassembly and cleaning to remove oxidation and other gunk buildup. The RDA was frozen to the mod too, It took a big rubber band, a shop towel, and a gentle use of pliers to free it without damaging the patina.

Here's the switch, you can see the oxidation and verdigris buildup here. The switch on one of these should be like butter, but the years had a toll on this....

View attachment 178238

After a through bath and a lot of work with a greeny-sponge and q-tips, the 'ol Doge v2 atty and the mod's topcap are nearly new again.

View attachment 178239

Even the switch came out pretty well. Some of it I can't get 100%, but it's working smooth again and has good conductivity as it should. A pinky-flick locks it once again too....ya gotta lock this to set it down...it is just too heavy otherwise and will autofire. ;)

View attachment 178241

Managed to save all of the o-rings that had dried up and were frozen in the channels too.
I"d say it is back to 90% of what it'd been when it was being used. I did not want to just strip the copper...not going for shiny...but a safe and well-working classic mod/atty back to where it was in 2017.

View attachment 178240

View attachment 178242

It's hitting like a beast, it may be old but man this thing is not only beautiful but it kicks serious azz for vaping too. Even on a single coil it's spectacular.

View attachment 178244

MrMeowgi is da man...I'm so grateful to have ownership of this piece of vaping history and I did say it'd be used once again.

View attachment 178243
nice job! i have also dug out a few treasures recently that haven't been out side of the box for quite a while.
my Vanilla copper, SS Shotgun and a copper Talon (Versa Mods) are all up and running with some modern 22MM atomizers.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I agree.
You did a wonderful job cleaning it up.
:)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thx guys, it still is a beasty. :)

That hybrid spring/magnet switch is still pretty amazing IMO.

P1040966.JPG

That's using the one 0.5Ω coil and the small AF....it could do a lot better. I just can't do a full Comp-style DL hit like it was made for, especially at 15mg 75/25 VG/PG.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

View attachment 178238

View attachment 178239

View attachment 178241

View attachment 178240

View attachment 178242

View attachment 178244

View attachment 178243
Damn man great job. I'm really glad you got it in better shape than I had it. I had no idea the rda was stuck on. Really sorry about that man. Looks fantastic for sure.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Damn man great job. I'm really glad you got it in better shape than I had it. I had no idea the rda was stuck on. Really sorry about that man. Looks fantastic for sure.

Thx bro, I meant it when I said I was honoured to have that and that I'd take good care of it.

I used your original posting as a guide as to what it should be now. While still being fully operational.
Your patina is intact and the exterior/non-conductive parts were hand polished with Coconut oil. Very stable yet subtle.

It kicks fuckin' azz. Like a Wototo Profile M azz-kicking.....absolutely creamy vapor outa that thing with a Moli P26A in there. I used a 0.5 on purpose 'cuz its a great compromise between battery life and power for a R-DL mech. All I need to do is add another coil and bam. A 0.25 dual-coil monster is born.

You did something special with that mod my friend, and using ammonia with copper for a patina...that takes some stones. ;)

Thanks....:cheers:

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thx bro, I meant it when I said I was honoured to have that and that I'd take good care of it.

I used your original posting as a guide as to what it should be now. While still being fully operational.
Your patina is intact and the exterior/non-conductive parts were hand polished with Coconut oil. Very stable yet subtle.

It kicks fuckin' azz. Like a Wototo Profile M azz-kicking.....absolutely creamy vapor outa that thing with a Moli P26A in there. I used a 0.5 on purpose 'cuz its a great compromise between battery life and power for a R-DL mech. All I need to do is add another coil and bam. A 0.25 dual-coil monster is born.

You did something special with that mod my friend, and using ammonia with copper for a patina...that takes some stones. ;)

Thanks....:cheers:
Thanks man I really appreciate that. Definitely means a lot to me.

VU Sponsors