Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon Family :wave:
I hope everyone is havin a great day:)

May be an image of sky and text that says 'Iriday! Happy Have a a fabulous day and a blessed weekend!'

I really miss this gal she was great in Saturday Night Live back in the day when it was great

May be an image of 1 person and text

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is a beauty from Brazilian artist Gilberto Monteiro. I don't know the exact history around the "cowboy" culture of Rio Grande do Sul in Brazil, which extends into Argentina, but it's all a region that had Spanish colonial influence rather than the Portuguese control of the rest of Brazil. That Spanish region had gauchos (cowboys), cattle ranches, a culture altogether more like that of Argentina and Mexico than the rest of Brazil, almost like a separate country. That culture is very similar to the cultural remnant of old Mexico where I grew up here in South Texas, and I love those traditions.

This piece sounds very much like the mariachi music we hear in San Antonio in restaurants and at wedding dances, parties and barbecues, and during the Fiesta San Antonio celebrations each spring.

Mil Amargos (a thousand bitters, literal translation, but it means something like a thousand hurts or a thousand bitter pills). It lifts my soul to hear this piece. I love the guitar work in it.

It comes with my recipe for watermelon margaritas. If you just cut up a ripe watermelon you get lots and lots of sweet juice, but if you take soft ripe chopped watermelon flesh and mash it through a strainer, you get enough to make watermelon margaritas. Add your best tequila and some orange liqueur, stir, and pour it into salt rimmed glasses (dip the rims of the glasses in the juice, shake off the excess, and quickly turn the glass over into a saucer of salt). Do that first and set the salted glasses aside to dry. Pour in your margarita, and enjoy an unparalleled drink your guests have probably never had. We had it at our supper club Friday night, with lots of great music of all kinds.

Que viva la independencia !

VU Sponsors