Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be a cartoon of text

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How are you doin today Bliss?
Thank you Jimi. I'm fine, recovering I guess. We all have trials. My website, which is my online radio station, was either hacked, or had a technical failure from RadioKing, my radio hosting platform. They were entirely nonchalant about it. The same song got stuck playing over and over again. I started getting nonstop listener emails about it. It was humiliating, but shutting it down temporarily wouldn't have helped get to the bottom of it.

It seems to be back to normal now. I think it was a technical problem with RadioKing, but they're not confessing.

And how are you? How does your garden grow? Did you save your green beans? I wouldn't have thought they were such a late harvest, but I've never tried to grow them.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I twisted my knee a few days ago- so taking it easy , actually hurts to sit in my computer chair, bending it aggravates my knee. Old age pain. How are you doing today Jimi?
Awe I'm sorry, I hope it's just a twist and no bad damage, yes the dreaded old age pains, know them well :(

Had to run outside for a minute to check something for Jean:rolleyes:

I am doin pretty good today, thank you for asking my friend:hug:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you Jimi. I'm fine, recovering I guess. We all have trials. My website, which is my online radio station, was either hacked, or had a technical failure from RadioKing, my radio hosting platform. They were entirely nonchalant about it. The same song got stuck playing over and over again. I started getting nonstop listener emails about it. It was humiliating, but shutting it down temporarily wouldn't have helped get to the bottom of it.

It seems to be back to normal now. I think it was a technical problem with RadioKing, but they're not confessing.

And how are you? How does your garden grow? Did you save your green beans? I wouldn't have thought they were such a late harvest, but I've never tried to grow them.
Awe sorry to hear your provider has done that, if it were a hack it prolly wouldn't of cleared up. I hope they do better from now on..:(
Seems like they never wanna take responcibility for their screw up:mad:
I am doin pretty good today, thank you for asking my friend:hug:
Well it's just down to a few things now, cut my last cauliflower today and still holdin my breath on the green beans, won't know till Saturday what happens there but if it does frost I am still gonna pick everything and use/freeze it. Yes it was real iffy whether to start or not but I had the seeds so I went for it, some beans are almost ready now:)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My website, which is my online radio station, was either hacked, or had a technical failure from RadioKing, my radio hosting platform. They were entirely nonchalant about it. The same song got stuck playing over and over again. I started getting nonstop listener emails about it.

Here's some alternatives you might consider, hun. Don't know all your situation with your station. (Golly, had to wait for that. *grin*) Still, it might serve better not putting all eggs in one basket if you follow meaning. Would love to find a Roku version of a station I used to listen too, Something Breeze, it was from up North a bit. She used to play a wide variety of light stuff, Native stuff, Jazz in various forms, Rock, Classical, Ballet tunes, Solo concerts and so on. Really helped ease the stress because most of her listing was set for a certain mHz tone range.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's some alternatives you might consider, hun. Don't know all your situation with your station. (Golly, had to wait for that. *grin*) Still, it might serve better not putting all eggs in one basket if you follow meaning. Would love to find a Roku version of a station I used to listen too, Something Breeze, it was from up North a bit. She used to play a wide variety of light stuff, Native stuff, Jazz in various forms, Rock, Classical, Ballet tunes, Solo concerts and so on. Really helped ease the stress because most of her listing was set for a certain mHz tone range.
I really appreciate that link, and your concern, but I'm not sure what you mean about "all eggs in one basket". You're always going to have only one radio platform host unless you're a millionaire, because of the choking cost of it. That cost refers to the publicly accessible music player (displays the track title and album cover), the music licensing dues required for each and every channel, the container of your music library, setting up your broadcast configuration, etc. However, my site is accessible through about 15 different "choose your station" sites around the world that I registered with, like you're describing, with multiple music categories/styles.

RadioKing was great until now, more than two years trouble free, with great support and tutorials. I'm forgiving them this, but if anything like it ever happens again I will shut it down and look for another hosting platform. Before signing with them I looked at Airtime Pro, hated their processes and formats. I looked at Radio 360 because they pay your music licensing fees, but even with that included, the cost is so much higher that it's more than paying it yourself, and you can't edit your mix points there.

Thank you though. It's good to have that list of hosting platforms to refer back to if I ever need to. Interesting too.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I really appreciate that link, and your concern, but I'm not sure what you mean about "all eggs in one basket". You're always going to have only one radio platform host unless you're a millionaire, because of the choking cost of it.

Gotcha, up to a point. The site I linked to with that listing often goes to exhaustive lengths to find free. Yes as in free beer, and free as in open source too alternates. With that considered my thinking was to set up dual servers for a station which then gives redundancy should one host run afoul.

I understand the high costs & how it seems everyone piles on fees. Thought with possibly less to no cost hosting solutions, that would be congruent to setting up two, or more servers. So you'd then not have all your eggs in one basket.

Redundancy in servers on the web is also part of a strategy known as load balancing. Load balancing can keep your user quota low on each server so as to avoid higher hosting fees. It can also improve latency speeds for users as some might be on East coast, some on West. You don't have to know who is where either as there's software (algorithms) built into servers which "direct traffic" accordingly based on IP addresses, DNS and such. Less latency means better sound quality for listeners.

Then as well, I'm thinking of a radio station host using Shoutcast or Icecast for streaming. Out of those two, I'd go with Icecast. This is because the server software is free, continually developed and it supports a broader range of formats. Please ignore me if it seems I'm talking out my butt. I'm just one who has various interests and explores them up to a rough "working knowledge", not an expert and do not run any Internet Radio myself.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon Family :wave:
Today is my last warmer day, they say tomorrow the bottom will fall out of it, I sure hope they are wrong:blech: I want a little more garden time so far some stuff has made it;)
I hope everyone is well and havin a rockin day:)

May be an image of text that says 'Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. -Tom Petty'

In remembrance of this brilliant guitarist Eddie Van Halen who left us 2 years ago today at the age of 65
😔
His music lives on
❤

May be an image of 1 person, outdoors and text that says 'H photos ASHNEWELL WELL PAGE 67'

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh I didn't think that, yes and that just adds a nice flare to this thread

I like that little Ninja you posted, soon as I figure out how to create a holding place for him I am gonna have you post him again
I'll pm you the image, which you can store in your "pictures" file on your computer. It's safe. I took a screen shot from free Clipart images and stored it that way.

Then @SteveS45 can explain to you how to insert it in a reply whenever you want. He had to explain it to me the first time I wanted to use an image in a reply.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll pm you the image, which you can store in your "pictures" file on your computer. It's safe. I took a screen shot from free Clipart images and stored it that way.

Then @SteveS45 can explain to you how to insert it in a reply whenever you want. He had to explain it to me the first time I wanted to use an image in a reply.
Thank you my friend :hug: , I'll haveta PM Steve, he does know a lot about computers

VU Sponsors