Become a Patron!

Accidentally Fired Mod While Tweezers Touched Coils

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I had been adjusting my coils because they were a tad separated and I was squeezing them with tweezers and I accidentally fired the mod while touching the coils with tweezers.

question is, would I have hurt or shorted the battery ?

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I've done that, I only popped the coil and had to re-wrap another. But I'm hopefully not going to make a habit out of this. :D

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When I've done that, I only popped the coil and had to re-wrap another. But I'm hopefully not going to make a habit out of this. :D

I've read elsewhere that someone " popped " a coil. What does that mean exactly ?

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've read elsewhere that someone " popped " a coil. What does that mean exactly ?
One of my coils was secured to the posts, and after the tweezers made contact, the coil broke off from one of the posts with a small popping sound ... hence, "popped a coil."

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@moecat, I barely recognized you, except for the captives on the piece of paper. LOL, I used to use that .gif on a board I was on a LONG time ago.

The guy I used to learn stuff from at the vape shop said he pulses with tweezers and hasn't worried about it. Now, I'm not saying go do that, cuz I wouldn't.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
One of my coils was secured to the posts, and after the tweezers made contact, the coil broke off from one of the posts with a small popping sound ... hence, "popped a coil."

Ahh, I am still new to this and I have yet to build my own coils so I am still getting the swing of things, have you ever had a problem with the coils separating after using them for a month or so?

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@moecat, I barely recognized you, except for the captives on the piece of paper. LOL, I used to use that .gif on a board I was on a LONG time ago.

The guy I used to learn stuff from at the vape shop said he pulses with tweezers and hasn't worried about it. Now, I'm not saying go do that, cuz I wouldn't.
Yeah, it's fine to squeeze the coil with your tweezers AFTER you've heated it up AND released the fire button.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't recall my coils breaking over time. Gunk build-up, yes. And this is the main reason why - even after regular cleaning and dry-burning - I re-wrap fresh coils pretty much monthly (5-6 weeks).

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't recall my coils breaking over time. Gunk build-up, yes. And this is the main reason why - even after regular cleaning and dry-burning - I re-wrap fresh coils pretty much monthly (5-6 weeks).

That's odd because mine have come apart a small amount and leaned a little.
They're still heating up from the inside out and at the same time but I have a delayed ramp up time.
I guess I better add some more information about what I am using.
I have a dual build and If I can remember correctly 26ga micro " or was it macro?" coils at .25 ohm?

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use 30 gauge and build in the 0.7 to 0.8 ohm range

There's no hard and fast rule to this, and in my opinion, it looks like you have a pretty good feel for things

- Dry burning shows delayed time in the coil heating up ... which I'm guessing is doing the following ...
- The taste of your juice and vapor production have diminished signifcantly

It's already been a month for you on top of everything else. So yes, I would say that it's time for you to wrap a new coil.

Even more important than taste and vapor: be safe!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's odd because mine have come apart a small amount and leaned a little.
They're still heating up from the inside out and at the same time but I have a delayed ramp up time.
I guess I better add some more information about what I am using.
I have a dual build and If I can remember correctly 26ga micro " or was it macro?" coils at .25 ohm?
Unless really small diameter it is 2-3 wraps to get a set of plane jane duals that low.
What wire did they use? gplat or kanthal?

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use 30 gauge and build in the 0.7 to 0.8 ohm range

There's no hard and fast rule to this, and in my opinion, it looks like you have a pretty good feel for things

- Dry burning shows delayed time in the coil heating up ... which I'm guessing is doing the following ...
- The taste of your juice and vapor production have diminished signifcantly

It's already been a month for you on top of everything else. So yes, I would say that it's time for you to wrap a new coil.

Even more important than taste and vapor: be safe!

Thank you for all of the help and taking time for my question!

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unless really small diameter it is 2-3 wraps to get a set of plane jane duals that low.
What wire did they use? gplat or kanthal?

The guy had used Kanthol and its hard to count exactly how many wraps were made but!!! but!!!
I will go ahead and dry out my RDA and strip the cotton and get a picture of the mod and the RDA and coils.
It's only my first set up so it's probably not going to be as nice or modded as some of you may have out there.
Give me one moment :) again thank you

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Attachments

• AMOD3LEANA.jpg
    AMOD3LEANA.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 64
  • AMODA.jpg
    AMODA.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 61
  • AMOD!A.jpg
    AMOD!A.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 65

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
nice looking coils but dude's reader might be off a bit.

So the one that is leaning a little, that's not bad is it ? What is your best guess of what they might be wrapped at ?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape it like you stole it, just fire em a bit to burn off the gunk before re wicking it.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just a bit eh @BigNasty LOL whoever built that has a reader that is way off

As for tweezing while pulsing. Use ceramic tweezers. You can mess with the coils as much as you want to while they glow. Just don't touch the ceramic right after! Or lay the ceramic portions down on anything you care about looking nice after!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@InMyImage Honestly looks if it is Kanthal about a .3-.45 build depending on diameter. Why I said his reader was off.
Takes more wire, patience and small diameter bits to roll a .25 dual set up than I have atm.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@InMyImage Honestly looks if it is Kanthal about a .3-.45 build depending on diameter. Why I said his reader was off.
Takes more wire, patience and small diameter bits to roll a .25 dual set up than I have atm.
Yep and I agree that is just a bit off.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
popped a coil can also mean a separate coil looks ok but if you leave the post secured and pulled on coil you might fine that the separated in the middle of the coil. popped a coil also refers to the sound that sometimes is heard. but be ready to secure a new coil if you follow my suggestion

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
popped a coil can also mean a separate coil looks ok but if you leave the post secured and pulled on coil you might fine that the separated in the middle of the coil. popped a coil also refers to the sound that sometimes is heard. but be ready to secure a new coil if you follow my suggestion
I think the hold over from the blue foamed bridged 510s.
Trust me a popping NiChrome coil in one of those mid draw sucked worse than any dry hit.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i was referring to RDA post and the wire being secure to each but when you remove the coil it could break in half but said poorly. man i miss bridged 510's

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
it means you shorted the coil out and it broke. just like a fuse would pop when a wire shorts out on a circuit.

Would that cause a coil to spread a little bit, and by that I mean the coil has separated just a hair width.. or is that normal?

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Would that cause a coil to spread a little bit, and by that I mean the coil has separated just a hair width.. or is that normal?

I have had kayfun coils separate on me slightly over time and use...usually what happens is i forget to lock the wattage on my VS DNA 30 in my pocket and it cranks up from 12 watts 30 and i don't notice it till I take a puff and fry my wick.....coils "pop" as they say from fatigue from being heated up over and over again....happens more with thinner gauge wire than thicker for the obvious of it doesn't have the strength to hold it's shape like nice heavy gauge kanthal....the easiest way to see this in action is to take a bic lighter and hold it on a single spot of 29-36 gauge kanthal that's held tight for a few seconds...the wire will super heat and separate because it gets too hot to hold itself together and "pop" apart. This can happen at on the leads inbetween the coil and the center post as well where the coil is it's weakest.

...with thinker wires that feel like they get too hot they can well...droop a bit with age :)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
butterfly-removal-operation-game.jpg

kmap

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The guy had used Kanthol and its hard to count exactly how many wraps were made but!!! but!!!
I will go ahead and dry out my RDA and strip the cotton and get a picture of the mod and the RDA and coils.
It's only my first set up so it's probably not going to be as nice or modded as some of you may have out there.
Give me one moment :) again thank you
A good idea would be to get yourself a pair of magnifying glasses to count your wraps & if you haven't already an ohm tester for playing it safe, then you can really start getting the ohms you want by experimenting with more or less wraps & diff gauge wire

kmap

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My coils' wraps aren't touching. Problem solved :)
That's what I do in my Kayfun's is build the coils with a slight separation when I plan on using VG higher than 70 in it, wicks great, chain vape & no dry hits at all..

VU Sponsors