Become a Patron!

Adding nicotine after steeping

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So far I've been predominantly using regular RTAs and rarely subohming..and accordingly I've mixing my e-juice @ 12 mg nicotine. The way I used to do it is to mix all ingredients at once (flavors, nicotine, PG, VG), toss them in the UC for a few hours, and then letting them sit and breathe for anywhere between a day and 3 days. So far the results have been great and I haven't bought e-juice for a few months.

Lately however I landed a Reo that was advertised in the classies and decided to use my drippers and subtanks more often; all of which imply that I have to use lower nic levels with these toppers. I will still use my regular RTAs for going out and about of course (which is most of the day).

This means that I need to have the same juice with different nic levels. Since I'm too lazy to mix different batches of the same juice with different nic levels I was wondering:

- Is it possible to mix and steep all the ingredients except for nic, and then add the nic later?
- If the answer to the above question is positive, once I add the nic, do I have to re-steep the liquid? for how long?

Thank you for your help

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can do it that way, but as the end flavor is affected by how the nicotine oxidizes, adding nicotine after steeping doesn't give you the same affect. But it might be fine!

I rarely steep anything anymore, but I use a low percentage of flavoring (max usually 8%), and 3mg nic.

The only way to know what works for you is to give it a try :)

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Now I didn't take the oxidization factor into consideration..I'll give it a try and maybe throw the mix after I add the nic in the UC for a couple of hours and let it sit for a day. Unfortunately 3mg won't do it for me in a flavor RTA like the Rose V.2 (which is my ADV so far).

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a quick thought, I used Reos for a couple of years, and I didn't have to lower my nic level until I discovered subohm tanks (specifically the Crown with the 0.25 ohm OCC coil). You may find that the nic level you generally use is ok.

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
actually 6 mg in the Aqua V.2 with a 0.7 build gives me a vape harsher than I like...same with the subohm tanks at 0.5 ohms..

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
actually 6 mg in the Aqua V.2 with a 0.7 build gives me a vape harsher than I like...same with the subohm tanks at 0.5 ohms..
If it's harsher, perhaps it's the PG and not the nic? I suggest this, because when I moved to subohm, I had to increase my VG from 50% to at least 80%.

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, it does. ;)

So...it is for this reason you need to add nicotine before steeping. I've never tried 0 nic juices though, so I could be wrong. But my guess is 0 nic juices taste different than the ones with nic.

I will give it a try abd steep the same juice with different nic concentrations and get back with the results.

I have to say you have a great name...brings back lots of memories ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So...it is for this reason you need to add nicotine before steeping. I've never tried 0 nic juices though, so I could be wrong. But my guess is 0 nic juices taste different than the ones with nic.

I will give it a try abd steep the same juice with different nic concentrations and get back with the results.

I have to say you have a great name...brings back lots of memories ;-)

I started making my ADV without adding the Nic a short while back. I tried it in different steps, adding 2 or 3 ingredients one time. All at the same time, less the Nic another time. And finally discovered a method that works best for my flavor.

I use 7 flavors total in my ADV. But I mix only 2 with my VG. And allow those to steep for a couple of weeks. Then add the remaining flavors and Nic, and use a magnetic stirrer.

I generally mix a liter of my 2 base flavors at a time. And mix the other, as needed. So your results may vary. :)

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I disagree :p

Otherwise these 0mg people would be completely hosed.
I have 15 flavors that I have in protank mini's for taste samplers. If I had nic in them they would get old lose flavor ect because of the steeping process. For this reason I made them without nic to prevent the ageing process so I would not have to keep making and wasting juices all the time like I was. A lot of your B&M stores do the same thing ( In fact they all do that I know of. )

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have 15 flavors that I have in protank mini's for taste samplers. If I had nic in them they would get old lose flavor ect because of the steeping process. For this reason I made them without nic to prevent the ageing process so I would not have to keep making and wasting juices all the time like I was. A lot of your B&M stores do the same thing ( In fact they all do that I know of. )
But do they taste different after adding nic or not?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But do they taste different after adding nic or not?

No one can say you will have to experiment some of us believe that steeping is way different that just crock potting things ..you are doing the right thing just make different batches and leep a log and do a real comparison for yourself.. what works for you may not for others

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When you steep the longer the darker it becomes the more it affects your coils. The coils will not last as long the darker the fluid becomes. This is very well known. This is one main reason why you don't add nic to flavor tasting coils. I know I have tried it both ways (costly mistake). Now when you don't use nic you can use the coils until they burn out naturally because they have not been steeped. Longer steep = darker fluid = shorter coil life less performance. Now if you take pg + Vg + flavor then mix it, it will be better over a few days because of the blending not steeping. After blending the fluid will become smoother and more suttle which will increase the flavor.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors