Become a Patron!

Advanced Recipe Creation Training?

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hello everyone. I have been mixing my own for 8 months now and while I can follow recipes with the best of them, I would like to make my own original creations. I have been playing around with my own Apple Pie recipe for months now, up to version 8.0, its good, but I want it to be the best that I can make.

To that end, I was wondering is there an online training for advanced mixology? Somewhere that educates people on how to do highly complex, multiple flavor mixes. I mean 7-10 flavors on average. I see some recipes online that have 7-10 flavors in them, when I mix it, the result is nothing like what you would imagine it to be, its a totally unique flavor combo. I would like to learn more about how to create these recipes, how to come up with the combos. So is there somewhere online I can learn?

Thanks

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not that I'm aware of.

A lot of DIY'ing is trial and error - and I'm almost certain these days that there are flavours/additives out there that the wider public do not have access to.

I've found that for complex recipes, it helps to keep notes of what aspects of recipes you like. If a flavour combo works well in one recipe, it is likely to work in another! Also, I find it's worth buying one or two flavours at a time - bit from multiple different brands. For example, when I was looking to get that perfect strawberry, I ordered strawberry from about 7 different brands. Finally settled on a mix between shisha SB, sweet SB and SB (ripe).

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would like to learn more about how to create these recipes
Mostly by just trying different things together.
Start with simple 2-3 flavor combos.
Examples:
Fruit + Vanilla
Fruit + Cream
Fruit + Vanilla + Cream
Fruit 1 + Fruit 2 + Vanilla + Cream
Fruit + Custard
Fruit + Cheesecake
(well you get the idea anyway)
Experimentation is the key to finding your own way.

Also look at online cooking/baking recipes for ideas too.

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not that I'm aware of.

A lot of DIY'ing is trial and error - and I'm almost certain these days that there are flavours/additives out there that the wider public do not have access to.

I've found that for complex recipes, it helps to keep notes of what aspects of recipes you like. If a flavour combo works well in one recipe, it is likely to work in another! Also, I find it's worth buying one or two flavours at a time - bit from multiple different brands. For example, when I was looking to get that perfect strawberry, I ordered strawberry from about 7 different brands. Finally settled on a mix between shisha SB, sweet SB and SB (ripe).

Yeah, I keep a hand written notebook with all my variations and notes on taste, but I was looking for a faster way to come up with certain recipe aspects.
Yeah, I also buy same flavor in multiple brands, sub just one flavor out at a time to see the difference between the manufacturers.

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Mostly by just trying different things together.
Start with simple 2-3 flavor combos.
Examples:
Fruit + Vanilla
Fruit + Cream
Fruit + Vanilla + Cream
Fruit 1 + Fruit 2 + Vanilla + Cream
Fruit + Custard
Fruit + Cheesecake
(well you get the idea anyway)
Experimentation is the key to finding your own way.

Also look at online cooking/baking recipes for ideas too.

Yeah, for my apple pie recipe I used a Spanish recipe for Tarta de Manzana to get the spice notes that I am looking for. Cookbooks work for desert type recipes but that is not what I'm trying to create now.

Here are two examples: the clone for Plutonian and the clone for Perpetual Check. Both have so many flavors working off each other that the end result tastes nothing like the individual flavors. They combine to create a totally unique new flavor that tastes nothing like the individual components.

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, I keep a hand written notebook with all my variations and notes on taste, but I was looking for a faster way to come up with certain recipe aspects.
Yeah, I also buy same flavor in multiple brands, sub just one flavor out at a time to see the difference between the manufacturers.
Unfortunately, I don't think there are any reliable shortcuts - other than creativity and a bit of research. As suggested above, cookbooks are a great way to come up with ideas. Also, finding out what flavours go into sweets, for example, can be very helpful. For example, when making a 'skittles' mix, the first thing to do would be to Find out exactly what flavours go into skittles. Then experiment. The only way to get a head start is to really know your flavours.

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I will just have to continue with trial and error.

Just wish there was a mixology school for DIY juicers, or some training for those who want to work at vape store mixing juices.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah, for my apple pie recipe I used a Spanish recipe for Tarta de Manzana to get the spice notes that I am looking for. Cookbooks work for desert type recipes but that is not what I'm trying to create now.

Here are two examples: the clone for Plutonian and the clone for Perpetual Check. Both have so many flavors working off each other that the end result tastes nothing like the individual flavors. They combine to create a totally unique new flavor that tastes nothing like the individual components.

I know what you mean, one I made with lots of Blueberry you can't really even taste it after steeping.
Oh, the complicated ones you mean, sorry.
I suspect those clones were discovered totally by accident, or by trying strange combinations together.
Doubtful anyone learned mixing those combinations from a book, class, or forums.
But you can never tell though.

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would vote for trial and error.

Like the cross over flavoring you get by changing you juice. My latest watermelon recipie calls for 0.3% kiwi FA. That's a smidgen of kiwi.

Also, when you have a mix that just isn't working but is good so you add a drop or two. Like when I added just a touch of blackcurrant to a cookie/biscuit recipie. Yum. Or dropping alittle obaoba to a mix because it's too harsh.

The thing is DIY is cheep by the bottle. But you gotta be willing to break away and do something unplanned to get over those humps. But it also requires going back to the basics...like mixing 4 versions of strawberry custard so you can finally determine what each one does side by side.

VU Sponsors