Become a Patron!

Airy single coil rdas

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been looking for a few new single coil rdas with large amounts of airflow and is squonk friendly. I've got a very healthy (over)stock of nice restrictive DL atties, but only a few that can handle my hotter builds I've been using. I've been using the B2K and the Vauban (w/ large airflow inserts) and they do nicely, but I'd like to have a little more variety. I've ordered a Tauren Solo, hopefully that one works out. I feel like I'm forgetting some other rda out there that fits my needs, and it's bothering me... Any and all suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Just for reference, the elder dragon is a bit too restrictive, and gets too hot. The recurve doesn't get hot, but also doesn't have quite enough airflow and the vapor gets a bit too hot. Build I've been using is a .17 quad core fused clapton 27/40 ni80.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I really want to try the Vauban, but just can't spend that much on a "maybe"...lol

Have you tried a Barrage?
Hit or miss - it's non-adjustable airflow...but I like it.

The old, cheap Nudge remains in play, against much pricier options for me. 22mm if you want single coil, but the 24mm dual is good, too.

The Asmodus .Blank is good too - though much less "forgiving" - took me a couple tries to get it to perform -

And I would have included the QP Nio, but they changed it (after I got mine, thankfully) and it now has perfs instead of slots - so it's probably not as open as the first batch...

I've been looking for a few new single coil rdas with large amounts of airflow and is squonk friendly. I've got a very healthy (over)stock of nice restrictive DL atties, but only a few that can handle my hotter builds I've been using. I've been using the B2K and the Vauban (w/ large airflow inserts) and they do nicely, but I'd like to have a little more variety. I've ordered a Tauren Solo, hopefully that one works out. I feel like I'm forgetting some other rda out there that fits my needs, and it's bothering me... Any and all suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Just for reference, the elder dragon is a bit too restrictive, and gets too hot. The recurve doesn't get hot, but also doesn't have quite enough airflow and the vapor gets a bit too hot. Build I've been using is a .17 quad core fused clapton 27/40 ni80.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Get a Profile and run a 4mm single in it. No kidding.
I've got a few profiles laying around, it's all my wife uses. I will give this a try for sure.

Or a Pulse V2 with the single coil insert. Or both.
Good idea, I keep overlooking that one.

I really want to try the Vauban, but just can't spend that much on a "maybe"...lol

Have you tried a Barrage?
Hit or miss - it's non-adjustable airflow...but I like it.

The old, cheap Nudge remains in play, against much pricier options for me. 22mm if you want single coil, but the 24mm dual is good, too.

The Asmodus .Blank is good too - though much less "forgiving" - took me a couple tries to get it to perform -

And I would have included the QP Nio, but they changed it (after I got mine, thankfully) and it now has perfs instead of slots - so it's probably not as open as the first batch...
I am using the Vauban clone, I bought two so I have a full set of inserts. I use wide open in one and semi restricted in the other. They are some of the cleanest clones I have seen though, very nice quality.

Funny you mention the nudge. I dusted mine off a little bit ago and put a fresh build in it, but I can't seem to find the large airflow top cap. I'll find it tomorrow.

I'll look into the blank and barrage, hopefully I can find a site stateside that has some of these.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Check out the 26mm Deathtrap II by Deathwish Modz.
Interesting. While too big for my single battery squonks, this looks like it would be perfect for the slim piece. I've been having some troubles finding the right atty for it too. Thank you, for the suggestion.

Creature0069

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll second the Pulse V2. Pretty airy even with the single coil insert. It's one of my preferred RDA's.

Drop Solo is a close second.

I can't seem to get anyone to part with either as I'd like to have spares. :giggle:

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll second the Pulse V2. Pretty airy even with the single coil insert. It's one of my preferred RDA's.

Drop Solo is a close second.

I can't seem to get anyone to part with either as I'd like to have spares. :giggle:
I have been looking at the pulse V2, barrage, and blank this morning. But me and the drop line of rdas never have gotten along. I just can't get them to produce flavor, for whatever reason. I want to, and have tried to, like the drop, but it just doesn't like me I guess.

The barrage has me scratching my head a bit still. @Train could you give me an example of an rda with a similar draw? I'm hearing people claim anything from wide open draw to restrictive DL on it. Since it's non adjustable, that is adding some confusion for me.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Oh my aching shinyitis. Got six different RDA en route but this one looks good, too. Looks good especially for the price, ~$15, that's roughly middle of my RDA budgeting scale, not bad. :)

Been enjoying the Gorge with restricted direct lung, tightened down the air. If you open it though you can get a pretty airy draw off of it.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh my aching shinyitis. Got six different RDA en route but this one looks good, too. Looks good especially for the price, ~$15, that's roughly middle of my RDA budgeting scale, not bad. :)

Been enjoying the Gorge with restricted direct lung, tightened down the air. If you open it though you can get a pretty airy draw off of it.
The nudge is a solid performer. I don't have much to say bad, maybe that it can be over squonked. But that's only a problem until you get used to it. With the two included top caps, you can get it to work very well for a wide range of coil types and ohm ranges.

I'm pretty sure you were the one that recommend the gorge to me before. I ordered one from China and had problems and never received it. I ended up with a refund instead. Guess I never did re-order that. Oops...

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I likely would have included Gorge in my list - I still use it. But last I looked, they were very hard to find anywhere anymore, and I tried to list rda's that can still be found!

I'd say the Barrage airflow is similar to a Nudge wide open. But just to add to confusion, I find the airflow in the Elder Dragon in that same range too - maybe it's dependent on the build?
I've got a 3mm alien in all of them, and my wicking is old-school squonker style - I don't pack the well.

Like here's a pic I happen to have - it's a Haku, but typical build for me.

upclosehaku.jpg

The nudge is a solid performer. I don't have much to say bad, maybe that it can be over squonked. But that's only a problem until you get used to it. With the two included top caps, you can get it to work very well for a wide range of coil types and ohm ranges.

I'm pretty sure you were the one that recommend the gorge to me before. I ordered one from China and had problems and never received it. I ended up with a refund instead. Guess I never did re-order that. Oops...

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I likely would have included Gorge in my list - I still use it. But last I looked, they were very hard to find anywhere anymore, and I tried to list rda's that can still be found!

I'd say the Barrage airflow is similar to a Nudge wide open. But just to add to confusion, I find the airflow in the Elder Dragon in that same range too - maybe it's dependent on the build?
I've got a 3mm alien in all of them, and my wicking is old-school squonker style - I don't pack the well.

View attachment 165125
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

The build I'm trying to find a home for is pretty hot. It heats up the cap of the elder dragon to uncomfortable levels in just a few hits. I assumed it's because of the smaller amount of airflow than the B2K and Vauban (which get warm, but not hot).

I also wick like that for most rdas, just enough to touch the deck but not fill up the well.

When I get paid I'm going to try and order the barrage, blank, and pulse V2. Even if they don't work for this, I'm positive I will still find a use for them.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got a few profiles laying around, it's all my wife uses. I will give this a try for sure.
4mm coil to your liking and high enough for the air to hit it directly. be prepared to be shocked at how good that is.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
4mm coil to your liking and high enough for the air to hit it directly. be prepared to be shocked at how good that is.
I plan to wrap more wire tonight or tomorrow. Once I do I'll wrap up a coil and give it a shot.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 165125

I also have a Haku Riviera, great atty. As is the SXK Legend if ya use it right, IMO.
I vape R-DL at no more than mebbe 30-40W using 14mg DIY on 3sec pulls. So, That effects how I vape.

My faves? Goons, Flave Tanks, O-Atty v2, Ghoul, and the Armageddon Apocalypse 25MM RDA.

2nd string would be: Narca, Tobhino, MACE, and the Original Drop.

Much depends on the mod, the build, and how you vape. ;)
I personally love Notch coils, so I have a GV Lock RDA ....it rocks, but isn't for everyone.

Last edited:

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Quick update. The nudge gets too hot, sadly. It is working great with a .25 build though, so that's where I'll keep it i guess.

The profile is running like a champ with the 4mm. I like it better than with a mesh build. @gsmit1 good call, thanks!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Have you tried a reload S? Not quite as airy as the b2k, but ample enough and great flavor.
Zion is also quite airy.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The profile is running like a champ with the 4mm. I like it better than with a mesh build. @gsmit1 good call, thanks!
You bet. Glad you like it. I usually close the top row of air holes, but you're looking for tons of airflow, so maybe not for you. I've been meaning to try a 5mm forever, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

EDIT: Of course it goes without saying that it squonks great like that too. I run it on my Desire Cut.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Have you tried a reload S? Not quite as airy as the b2k, but ample enough and great flavor.
Zion is also quite airy.

I will try the reload, I didn't like it when I got it but I was vaping much more restrictive atties at the time. I hope I still have one laying around. Completely forgotten about that one.

I have never heard of the Zion, I'll look into it. Thanks.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You bet. Glad you like it. I usually close the top row of air holes, but you're looking for tons of airflow, so maybe not for you. I've been meaning to try a 5mm forever, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Funny thing is, I shut the top row off too. Boosted the flavor a bit, but still runs cool. I'm even running a thin walled metal conversion cap (22mm) without heat issues.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny thing is, I shut the top row off too. Boosted the flavor a bit, but still runs cool. I'm even running a thin walled metal conversion cap (22mm) without heat issues.
It does boost the flavor a bit, but is still pretty airy.

I guarantee you you would not have heat issues with the Pulse V2 either. I ran it on my Azeroth mech squonk for a while with dual coils and it barely changed temperature. The way it's designed you just won't get heat in the cap.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It does boost the flavor a bit, but is still pretty airy.

I guarantee you you would not have heat issues with the Pulse V2 either. I ran it on my Azeroth mech squonk for a while with dual coils and it barely changed temperature. The way it's designed you just won't get heat in the cap.
I'm having problems finding the V2 in stock stateside though. Found one for about $40, but I'm holding out for a better deal. Really hoping that works out for me.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm having problems finding the V2 in stock stateside though. Found one for about $40, but I'm holding out for a better deal. Really hoping that works out for me.
Yeah they're tough to come by now. That's one I almost bought a second of about 10 times and never did. Somebody had one for sale on Reddit not too long ago, but it sold quick.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Clean looking build. I like that deck too. I also agree with how you pulled the coil out. The notches are too far back to the posts.
This pic was taken before dry firing, though, so the coil was out a little bit farther still. I believe the notches are there to make it easier to work out the hot spots and to rewick, not to make it easier to mount the coil... Or maybe I'm just seeing them wrong. ?

Creature0069

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

After shipping and tax, the total was just under $40. That was the one place I found too. Probably going to bite the bullet and order from China and play the waiting game.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After shipping and tax, the total was just under $40. That was the one place I found too. Probably going to bite the bullet and order from China and play the waiting game.
That RDA really is exactly what you're looking for, but if you order it from China, don't pick the free epacket shipping or we'll all be wailing at your funeral before you see it.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That RDA really is exactly what you're looking for, but if you order it from China, don't pick the free epacket shipping or we'll all be wailing at your funeral before you see it.
I'm on a budget right now (skipped a week of work) so price really matters. If they are still there when I get my check, I'll grab them from element, if not then China it is.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you ever tried the Wismec 316L notch coils?

I probably have, since I have a few Wismec/Jaybo atties and mods. IDK if the pre-installed coil in the GV Lock would classify?

My faves were the DemonKiller ones from FT, I don't have many of those left now.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got the Tauren Solo in the mail. I set down and wrapped a coil for it. It's not bad at all. It has maybe a touch more airflow than the B2K. Flavor is good and it hasn't gotten anything more than warm. Only thing I'm not loving is that it relies on capillary action to get juice to the coil, but that's not a deal breaker for me. So far I like it.

The pulse v2 should be here soon, looking forward to trying it out.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Got the pulse today. Cleaned it up and built it. @gsmit1 you were not wrong, this thing gets some work done. Really does fit my needs perfectly. Thanks, I would have absolutely passed on this one just because of how much I disliked the previous pulse RDAs I used. But this one is actually really good so far.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the valve and ramp system in the center post it really excels as a squonker too. Glad it's working out. I'm sure you're not having any heat issues.?

My handcheck for today:
20200803_123536_cr.jpg

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
With the valve and ramp system in the center post it really excels as a squonker too. Glad it's working out. I'm sure you're not having any heat issues.?

My handcheck for today:
View attachment 166105
No heat issues at all. Gets nothing more than slightly warm. I need to run a squonk bottle or two through it to really get to know it, but I'm sure this is going to find a permanent home on one of my mods. Probably end up grabbing another if the opportunity arises.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It squionks from underneath, directly on both ends of the coil, the excess runs down the ramps into the well and the valve in the post closes, keeping just the right amount of juice in the well. The only way you can over-squonk is to just keep squonking over and over. A nearly perfect squonk design.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It squionks from underneath, directly on both ends of the coil, the excess runs down the ramps into the well and the valve in the post closes, keeping just the right amount of juice in the well. The only way you can over-squonk is to just keep squonking over and over. A nearly perfect squonk design.
That's one of the features that I like about it. The squonk system works great.

I saw one pop up on reddit and snagged it a little bit ago, so I will have a second one soon.

VU Sponsors