Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum.
I am not sure but someone should know.

You want to know how long the wire that wraps around the outside is compared to the length of the center wire, correct?

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum.
I am not sure but someone should know.

You want to know how long the wire that wraps around the outside is compared to the length of the center wire, correct?
no no sir

show this video
from 6:18 to 7:14
If the length is 50 cm
How long will it be after this step?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
OK, I see now.
I'm still not sure.
If anyone else reads this and knows someone who makes coils could you tag them to this post please?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Start by calculating the diameter of the wires you use. Next, divide the length of your clapton by the diameter of your wrap wire to get an approximation of how many wraps are in your clapton. Next, add the diameter of your wrap wire to that of your core wire. Divide this number by the square root of two, and then multiply that by two. Finally, multiply that by the number of wraps you have in your clapton. This should get you a reasonably close approximation.

Also try to keep this in mind:
second tip: your decore clapton should be about 40-50% longer than you want your final alien wire to be.

Start by calculating the diameter of the wires you use. Next, divide the length of your clapton by the diameter of your wrap wire to get an approximation of how many wraps are in your clapton. Next, add the diameter of your wrap wire to that of your core wire. Divide this number by the square root of two, and then multiply that by two. Finally, multiply that by the number of wraps you have in your clapton. This should get you a reasonably close approximation.

3x28/38
total length 70 cm
Can you calculate for me?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
38 gauge wire is 0.10 mm
28 gauge wire is 0.32 mm

Step 1. 70 cm length / .10 = 700 wraps

Step 2. 700 / 1.41 = 496.45

Step 3. 496.45 * 2 = 992.90

step 4. 992.90 * 700 = 6,950,300

Now I'm not sure if that's measured as mm or cm, as there's no decimals I'd think cm. Converting it to meters is 69503 meters & to km it's 69.503 km. Although I'm sure my math is probably wrong somewhere, and/or I'm misunderstanding what means of measure you're requiring.

Also given:

mach1ne said:

second tip: your decore clapton should be about 40-50% longer than you want your final alien wire to be.

I would think a de-core of roughly 98 (40%) - 105 (50%) cm would be what you were aiming to have and that would be your length.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
38g is .1016mm
28g is .32mm
70cm = 700mm
700mm / .1016mm = 6,889.763779527559 wraps
.32mm + .1016mm = .4246mm
.4246mm / 2 × 2 = .6004750785836162mm
.6004750785836162mm × 6,889.763779527559 wraps = 4,137.131446934363mm
So that would be roughly 4m13cm7mm.

38g is .1016mm
28g is .32mm
70cm = 700mm
700mm / .1016mm = 6,889.763779527559 wraps
.32mm + .1016mm = .4246mm
.4246mm / 2 × 2 = .6004750785836162mm
.6004750785836162mm × 6,889.763779527559 wraps = 4,137.131446934363mm
So that would be roughly 4m13cm7m
thank u so much
This means Extend the wire 4 to 5 times the original length

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
thank u so much
This means Extend the wire 4 to 5 times the original length
At 8:18 in the video below is where m.terk shows a closeup pic of a stretched 36g decore. (Normally he always uses the no stretch method, though.)

Here is this same pic edited by me to get an idea of what the angle in the zigzag is like:
stretch.jpg
Personally, I, prefer the angle to be maybe about halfway in between 90 degrees and this. (Looking at it while no tension is being held on the stretched decore, that is.)

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
my brothers and my friends
good greeting Brothers,
my question is about the clapton wire
After making the clapton
How much does it stretch 2 times 3 times 4 times the original length
Assuming that the clapton wire is 50 cm long
After stretching, it is 100 cm, 150 cm, or 200 cm

thank u so much
I've never kept track of distance. I can tell you a few things though. It's always better to under stretch. When you over stretch, it won't lay right. After that it's basically futile trying to make an alien coil with it.

After some practice, you can feel when to stop. The wire reaches a certain tension. Go past that feel and you'll stretch it to far. What's helped me is keeping measurements consistent. That and making the initial clapton the same way every time. Pay attention to tension and angle. Replicate both of those every time. If your de cores are the same size, you can find a spot in your house where you need to stop stretching. Even if you under stretch it, you can make up the difference while your cores are spinning. You don't want to be pinching it too hard or your cores will collapse on each other. Some people use the no stretch method but I've only tried it once. It's much easier to stretch the de core IMO.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Like anything, practice makes perfect. Put in the time, and your results will improve. That even goes for stretching de cores. It doesn't take long to learn how far to stretch them. Getting them to lay right with consistent results while the wires are spinning takes a bit longer. I was making alien coils about a week or two after I started spinning. That doesn't mean I made flawless alien sticks every time though. I screwed up more than I had success. A few months down the road though I could make flawless sticks 9 times out of 10. Routine, practice, and paying attention to detail are all things that help. Good vision and steady hands are also assets.

Like anything, practice makes perfect. Put in the time, and your results will improve. That even goes for stretching de cores. It doesn't take long to learn how far to stretch them. Getting them to lay right with consistent results while the wires are spinning takes a bit longer. I was making alien coils about a week or two after I started spinning. That doesn't mean I made flawless alien sticks every time though. I screwed up more than I had success. A few months down the road though I could make flawless sticks 9 times out of 10. Routine, practice, and paying attention to detail are all things that help. Good vision and steady hands are also assets.
Thank you very much for taking care and replying

VU Sponsors