Become a Patron!

All my notes on different BASES

wayne.walkerr

Member For 4 Years
This is just a quick post about some "research" I've been doing. I have a simple strawberries and cream recipe that I mix as my ADV. I know the flavor of it from front to back and have been vaping it for quite some time now. I usually use this mix as a way to test my new RDA's and tanks, to see how the flavor output is. A few months ago I mixed it up with some VG/PG I don't normally use. I used this base because it was sent to me, and I wanted to give it a try. I mixed it up and it tasted very very flat. Not only that but there was an unpleasant flavor coming from it. Almost like it was "stale" or "expired". The best way I can describe this flavor is that it tasted like sweat. Fucking gross. So this got me thinking, how much flavor is really dependent on the bases we use? I know a lot of the companies use the same Nicotine and VG supplier, but I also know a lot of them filter and purify their bases differently from eachother. How much of a difference between them all depends on your experience, but it's safe to say that not all VG/PG/NIC is alike. So I tried to obtain all the "major" bases available to do this little experiment. I would make a batch of my ADV with each different base and nic, at 0mg, 3mg, 6mg and let it steep a week and vaped them all and took notes. For companies who make VG/PG only I used 0mg. I mixed at 50/50. Vaped through various RDA's and tanks though all on their own RDA with no crossing. Here are my notes. Take what you want from it, and PLEASE add you opinions and experiences with the bases YOU'VE tried. It only makes our vape experience BETTER!

THE BASES NOTES

Liquid Barn:
Anyone who knows me knows that I enjoy using LB and pimp them out as often as I can. They have great customer service and they put out a good product, so whenever someone asks me where I get my stuff I like to recommend them. By far, this is my favorite stuff to use because it's clean, reliable, and makes mixing easier.

VG/PG: Clean, crisp, and non intrusive. Comes in good packaging for storage and has a spout cap which makes mixing by weight such a breeze. This is the stuff I use in my personal vapes, and I think is one of the best available. One thing comes to mind when vaping this is that it's clean. It's like comparing tap water to filtered spring. Very reliable. Seems to really be great in any type of recipe. No problems with subtle flavors, heavy flavors, and anything in between. Really good stuff.

NIC 100mg: Also some of my favorite nicotine. Same plastic packaging as the VG/PG, THOUGH I wish it came in glass. Nicotine should be in glass when it can, especially when put away for long term storage. Just like the VG/PG this stuff is clean, and non intrusive. Their USA sourced nic has somewhat of a strong odor, but in the mix, is not apparent. They also give you a sheet with the batch number, date, and the percentage of purity which is a great addition. I've had no issues all the way up to 6mg and it was very smooth throughout. When purchased with the VG/PG package you can't ask for a better base.

WIZARD LABS:
I used WL before I moved to LB. They have a pretty great product and pretty reliable. I've had an issue with them only once, but other than that a pretty good company to use.

VG/PG: Great bases. Comes in plastic, no spout cap. Very clean, flavorless. I've had absolutely no problems with their bases. A little pricier if ordering less than a gallon, but a good price at a gallon. No flavor leak, non intrusive. All you can ask for a base

NIC 100mg: A touch peppery, a little harsh, but very very slight at 3mg. At 6mg, it's a little more prominent and may cause concern for some. Plastic amber bottles, no spout. Has MSDS and COA available. A great option for those ordering their first purchase all at WL. Flavor leak extremely minimal, mixes well. I had one issue where one time I was given a batch that only kept for a month. After a month the peppery flavor was so prominent I had to throw away the entire bottle. It was very scratchy and itchy and non-vapeable. Other than this issue, this is a fine choice.

NUDE NICOTINE:
Some of the best VG/PG available with great nicotine as well. Touted as sometimes having less than stellar customer service, as well as having a few bad batches, this is a product that is good...but is a gamble. This is my experience, though.

VG/PG: Some of the best you can get. VERY clean, very crisp. Absolutely no issues, no flavor leak, flavorless, completely non-intrusive. Plastic bottles. One of the pricier options. I've had no issues with this stuff at all, and would purchase from here exclusively if it was a cheaper option.

NIC 100mg: Also an excellent product. This product really shines with it's packaging options. You can order your nic in glass which is great and best of all, you can order with ARGON for long term storage! An awesome addition I wish all suppliers had for DIY. They also have started adding LUER SLIP TOPS for their nicotine to really minimize oxidization. This is all at a cost though. There is absolutely no flavor to this, extremely clean and pure. This nicotine was also accurate. The issue comes with their track record. They have been known to have a few bad batches where the target concentration was much higher than expected. This is a big issue. Never happened to me though, and I'm very happy with my product I received.

BULL CITY VAPOR
A great company who everyone loves to use for flavorings. Not really known for their bases, they do offer a VG/PG alternative.

VG/PG: A perfectly fine option. Clean, fresh tasting, with slight flavor muting. I often use this company when ordering a bunch of flavorings and just need some VG/PG, and don't want to split up the order and be charged extra shipping. Absolutely reliable and never had any issues. You do get a slight taste. It's almost a metallic flavor, that does hurt brighter flavors. Also the flavor muting is there. I generally use this as a last resort if I'm low on base at the time and am currently reupping my stash...which is rare. I'm assuming maybe they are ordering from a large supplier, and just stocking this stuff.

NIC: BCV used to carry VapersTek, but no longer any more.

VAPE CLARITY:
A New nicotine player in the game .

VG/PG: None

NIC 100mg: I received a tester back when they first came out and was very very upset. The nicotine came with a quarter missing, a dirty and unprofessional label, clear transparent packaging, and no seal at the top. I hear this has all changed but I am only going with my experience. As for quality, it was pretty good. Clean, no flavor leak, though there was some muting that came from it. It's just a slight softness around the edges. No odor, AT ALL. Which was very surprising. Very accurate as well. The price is also one of the best available though the muting effects do keep me from using again. A great choice for a cheap nicotine IF BOTTLE PRESENTATION AND PACKAGING IS FIXED.

wayne.walkerr

Member For 4 Years
VAPERSTEK:
A UK based Nicotine company. My favorite base to use for personal vaping after LB. The only reason I use LB over VT is because (I THOUGHT) it is difficult to obtain in the states, unless you order from overseas.

VG/PG: Excellent excellent quality. The first time using this I remember I was blown away at how much more "crisp" and "bright" my fruit and candy flavors were. Extremely clean, and very easy to mix with. No flavor at all.

NIC 100mg: All the same can be said about the nic. Some of the smoothest nicotine you can buy. Bad packaging does hurt, but it doesn't seem to affect quality. Just don't expect to throw into a freezer unless transferred into glass, or amber plastic. Great quality, absolutely no flavor, no muting. Almost like using nothing at all. Price is bad though, on top of packaging and availability, I probably won't be buying again.

ESSENTIAL DEPOT:
One of the cheapest options for VG/PG. Extremely accessible, and if you have amazon prime, can be at your door in 2 days for no charge. This is one of the most widely used bases, but it is far from the best

VG/PG: Depending on how old your product is, really determines your experience. A fairly new batch and you will get a good cheap base, with minimal flavor, minimal muting. An older batch and you may get a very muddled flavor, with that "sweat" flavor becoming VERY prominent in bright, crisp, recipes. Heavy flavors seem to work best with this. The main issue I have with this is that flavor of the VG. Some say it is "sweet", I say it is a distraction. The PG has much less issues, and actually a great cheap option. Both of these bases don't seem to keep very well either. Make sure if using, they are constantly closed and in a dark area. Muting is an issue at higher VG levels. For the price and accessibility, it is hard to pass up. But if you can wait just a few more days, you can get a much better product.

BULK APOTHECARY:
Extremely cheap. Extremely reliable. Not bad at all.

VG/PG: This stuff is very very cheap. Which makes it very alluring. Is it worth the price though? Absolutely. I've had no major issues using their VG/PG, though some minor. It's very smooth. There is slight flavor muting, rounding off edges of sharp notes. It also seems to mute soft flavors like creams, not much...but I do notice it. I also notice some flavor from high VG mixes. Not as bad as Essential, but it is there, and if it sits for too long, can develop a stronger flavor. Other than that, for the price, I have no issue recommending this stuff to anyone. You get a good base to use for your mixes at an extremely low cost. And if you're mixing for your business, this is one of the best options to use. I probably will move to this if I have any problems with LB.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's pretty much what I got right now. I would love to see your guys' thoughts and opinions on these companies and ones I haven't covered. I will be updating this throughout time just so there is something about bases, should anyone want to take a look.

Next bases I will be using is Carolina Xtract, MFS, and RTS Vapes.

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
quick note

vaperstek nicotine is made in the uk but ships form the states. its easy to get imho. my last order took 3 days to get to me

also i have read many places that there is basically one company making all the vg in the states and therefor all vg is basically the same

wayne.walkerr

Member For 4 Years
Where are you gettin your VT? And I heard that about the VG as well which is why I put that in the beginning, but there is definitely somewhat of a difference between some of them. Maybe the way they "clean" it? Idk.

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
BCV is in a state that no longer lets them sell nic, or imposes such restrictions/fees that they choose not to, has nothing to do with VT nic. I buy NN it is in the state under me but if they closed down I'd go for VT's nic. :p To me they are that close in tastelessness and quality. I use 14-16mg nic and I can taste nic down to 3mg, even in these good nics, lol I am a super taster. ;) P.S. I use ED for PG and VG.

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice list Wayne.

So far I have tried 3 different nics, first from Nic Select via Nicotine River and it is good but not as clean as Nude Nicotine and Vaperstek which both just get out of the way and let your flavors come through. I do plan on making the same mix, 1 with NN and the other with VT nic and mark the bottle on the bottom to see if I can tell a difference. VT shipped the next day I ordered but the bottle is clear plastic so I transfered it over to 2 60ml amber glass bottles for storage. NN takes longer to ship but my last order was with there 20% off deal so I expected a longer turn around time. The NN comes in amber plastic bottles, glass if you order the armor version. I definitely like NN packaging better and since I only ordered 50ml I kept it in the plastic amber bottle instead of transferring into a glass bottle as it won't last long enough to make a difference IMO.

I have only tried 3 different VG/PG so far and compared Nicotine River to ED directly. I thought I was able to tell a difference but when I just marked on the bottom of the bottle with the same mix I wasn't able to tell which was which consistently.

You have a great website Wayne and have enjoyed your recipes, thank you!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nice info here Wayne thanks...

I've been using VT Nic PG base and like it so far.
VG from RTS Vapes made from non-GMO Coconuts, works for me.
PG from Tractor Supply, lol, seems OK, but I've had problems from other PG giving me a bitter taste.

roulettegrl67

Member For 4 Years
@ Wayne...DIY OR DIE So happy to see you here! I love your YouTube channel and have learned a lot from you! Thank you for all of your information and welcome to the best and friendliest forum on the web!

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great recap, thanks! I've been using ED without issue, but picked up a couple gallons of NN VG last time I went by...will see if I can note a difference. It's more expensive, but nixing shipping costs makes up for that to some extent.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
they stopped selling it temporarily because their state government (SC or NC) added a sales tax to all juice containing NICOTINE)
Great recap, thanks! I've been using ED without issue, but picked up a couple gallons of NN VG last time I went by...will see if I can note a difference. It's more expensive, but nixing shipping costs makes up for that to some extent.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone
i am very curious of a second comparison of ED versus other VG.

I always thought VG was VG

I was about to order the 2 gallon deal from ED and then saw this posting.
2 gallons will last me a couple years, so I do not want to order that if there is something noticeably better on the market for flavor.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The pg I get from Tractor Supply is very good, clean and tasteless. I immediately break a gallon down into smaller containers and store it in the freezer. The vg from my local grocery store is very good as well, USP 99.5% anhydrous. Also keeps well in the freezer and doesn't have that "muddled" taste, nor does it leave that "heavy" feeling in the lungs. I usually buy them out of their 6oz bottles every time I go in there and toss them in the freezer. Might average out more expensive than buying gallons ($2.99 each), but I'm not paying a ridiculous shipping charge on a gallon of heavy liquid either. ;)
The best nicotine I've ever used was actually the first I'd ever tried when I started DIY, and that was from NicVape. Come to find out it's Nicotine River and of very high quality. I was getting it cheaper directly from NR until they stopped selling smaller bottles and raised their shipping charges astronomically.
Nude Nicotine left a bad taste in my mouth literally and figuratively. The last batch I got from them tasted like pure pepper, couldn't even vape it without choking. It was clear as water, so I doubt it was oxidized. Customer service all but blew me off over the matter. Then their ordeal over sending out double strength nic turned me away for good. I didn't get any of the "bad batch" but would rather not take any chances.
At present, I'm a dedicated Vaperstek user and order directly from them, though I'm anxiously awaiting whatever workaround Bull City can come up with to get past North Carolina's ridiculous nicotine tax. NC is closer to me and their orders generally ship with a quickness. And they're just good guys, top of the line for quality and service. ;)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't recommend getting Nicotine base from http://www.usa-laboratories.com. I recently bought a Gallon, which was a mistake in itself. However, the nicotine base has a slight black pepper taste to it already. I read somewhere here in the forum that citric acid might help. Does it? Where would I get it?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
they stopped selling it temporarily because their state government (SC or NC) added a sales tax to all juice containing NICOTINE)

i am very curious of a second comparison of ED versus other VG.

I always thought VG was VG

I was about to order the 2 gallon deal from ED and then saw this posting.
2 gallons will last me a couple years, so I do not want to order that if there is something noticeably better on the market for flavor.
Just cracked into my last gallon of ED, it'll probably be a few weeks before I get into the VG from NN, but will try to get back here with a side-by-side comparison...

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice writeup @wayne.walkerr.

I just received my first order from CXTC. I went full bore with 500ml of 100mg/ml. Counting on this stuff to live up to its reputation. Paid about 30 bucks more than what I'm used to with VT. Packaging is thoroughly impressive: Bubble wrapped, foil bagged and sealed, bubble wrapped again, and boxed with care. Would've taken a great deal of effort on the part of the carrier to damage the amber glass bottle within. Shrink-wrap band on the lid says: "Filled Oct 12 2015," which was the day I placed the order (I live about 30 miles from the facility, so she should be as fresh as can be). Everything looks very professional here so far.

I'll be cracking her open later tonight and will post observations, time permitting. By the weekend at least.

I would LOVE for someone to share info on places in Canada where one can order nicotine. You can get vg/pg anywhere as easily as buying a bottle of Pepsi, but try adding nic to your cart.... can't order from the u.s. cuz border services seizes it as it's a drug. just this week I received papers in the mail from Health Canada regarding the seizure of 2 - 30ml bottles of ejuice that I'd won in a contest via Facebook, why? The 3mg level of nic, of course. I know SOMEBODY sells the shit, cuz people up here are making it, just nobody I happen to know. Wait, I do know one fella who makes ejuice, but says he orders from the u.s. and he claims the company labels nic as just being "vg" when shipping to Canada, and that's great, but I'm not about to wager $75 on something that can easily be randomly pulled for analysis, especially after having 60ml's of 3mg juice confiscated. Am I supposed to believe that thousands people making ejuice in Canada without issue, whether it be for personal vaping use, or for a "company" they're running out of their basements for profit, they're all ordering from across the border and taking that same risk? I highly doubt it. Someone here MUST know where I can get it here in Canada.. I'm losing my mind!............ thanks in advance for any and all info, pointers and leads.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I would LOVE for someone to share info on places in Canada where one can order nicotine. You can get vg/pg anywhere as easily as buying a bottle of Pepsi, but try adding nic to your cart.... can't order from the u.s. cuz border services seizes it as it's a drug. just this week I received papers in the mail from Health Canada regarding the seizure of 2 - 30ml bottles of ejuice that I'd won in a contest via Facebook, why? The 3mg level of nic, of course. I know SOMEBODY sells the shit, cuz people up here are making it, just nobody I happen to know. Wait, I do know one fella who makes ejuice, but says he orders from the u.s. and he claims the company labels nic as just being "vg" when shipping to Canada, and that's great, but I'm not about to wager $75 on something that can easily be randomly pulled for analysis, especially after having 60ml's of 3mg juice confiscated. Am I supposed to believe that thousands people making ejuice in Canada without issue, whether it be for personal vaping use, or for a "company" they're running out of their basements for profit, they're all ordering from across the border and taking that same risk? I highly doubt it. Someone here MUST know where I can get it here in Canada.. I'm losing my mind!............ thanks in advance for any and all info, pointers and leads.
You might get in touch with the dudes in this thread. http://vapingunderground.com/threads/tfa-canvape.131523/

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Top-shelf base from CXTC, making these guys my new go-to for nic. Titration performed, results are solid at the stated nicotine level. Solution (PG-based) is perfectly clear, completely odorless, and as flavorless as it gets. Throat hit is clean and smooth with no peppery tingle. My mixes taste as bold as they do with VT base at the same ratios and flavoring percentages, much bolder than with nic from other suppliers I've tried.

I've had 350 ml of 12 mg 35P/65V mixed and sitting in a LDPE bottle inside a dark cabinet at room temp for a week now. No color shift, solution is still crystal clear and tastes fantastic straight out of the bottle. Using Nature's Oil (Bulk Apothecary) VG and PG.

Is it better than VT? If it is, it's too close for me to call it. I do like that it's extracted from domestic tobacco, some of which is grown in my own home state. I'm always looking for ways to support NC farmers, and with a product of this quality being manufactured just down the road from where I live, it's a no-brainer.

I can definitely recommend this stuff with no reservations.

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, cost will be a concern for some. Increase in cost per ml is insignificant to me, based on how much use I'll get from this. CXTC claims that their cold extraction method increases shelf life too, but that remains to be seen. I know when my VT starts showing signs of oxidation when stored in LDPE, so we'll see how the CXTC compares over time.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well
is 40% more cost found n a taste difference between ctcx and vt
you yourself said its too close to call

so illl stick with the liter of vt in my freezer

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Correct, there is no difference that I can discern between VT and CXTC taste-wise. They are both of the highest quality.

1 liter of CXTC is $31 more than VT, or about 3 cents more per ml. Shipping is what gets you with the CXTC, and puts it right in that 40% additional cost neighborhood. As it stands right now, the only clear advantage the CXTC holds over VT for the average DIY'er is the fact that it ships in argon-pushed amber glass: Important to some, not so much to others.

As for CXTC's claim of extended shelf-life, we'll see about that. ;)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Correct, there is no difference that I can discern between VT and CXTC taste-wise. They are both of the highest quality.

1 liter of CXTC is $31 more than VT, or about 3 cents more per ml. Shipping is what gets you with the CXTC, and puts it right in that 40% additional cost neighborhood. As it stands right now, the only clear advantage the CXTC holds over VT for the average DIY'er is the fact that it ships in argon-pushed amber glass: Important to some, not so much to others.

As for CXTC's claim of extended shelf-life, we'll see about that. ;)
it seems to me that 120ml of cxtc is16.99 actually cheaper than 120ml100mg of VT is 20.00

Last edited:

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@pulsevape Shipping brings the CXTC total to near $30, almost 4 bucks more than VT's cheapest flat rate shipping option. The cost margin here is much more reasonable, still.

Currently I think CXTC's model is more attractive to bulk juice manufacturers instead of lone DIY'ers. It would be nice if they could partner up with another DIY-targeted enterprise like BCV and offer a wider range of packaging and shipping options.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@pulsevape Shipping brings the CXTC total to near $30, almost 4 bucks more than VT's cheapest flat rate shipping option. The cost margin here is much more reasonable, still.

Currently I think CXTC's model is more attractive to bulk juice manufacturers instead of lone DIY'ers. It would be nice if they could partner up with another DIY-targeted enterprise like BCV and offer a wider range of packaging and shipping options.
I called them, and just wanted ask them about how to mix the nic without oxidizing it....and I think the owner called me back and we talked for like 20 minutes the guy was nice as hell.

I called them, and just wanted ask them about how to mix the nic without oxidizing it....and I think the owner called me back and we talked for like 20 minutes the guy was nice as hell.

Any way we can get some of the feedback they gave you about mixing the nic without oxidizing it?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any way we can get some of the feedback they gave you about mixing the nic without oxidizing it?
Well first the told me not to use any sort of high speed mechanical blender,as it would create "cavitation" which would rapidly speed up the oxidation process,and to roll the bottle to mix if it had sat for more than a week.I told them I was using a magnectic stirrer , and they thought that was fine as long as the speed wasn't too high....

Well first the told me not to use any sort of high speed mechanical blender,as it would create "cavitation" which would rapidly speed up the oxidation process,and to roll the bottle to mix if it had sat for more than a week.I told them I was using a magnectic stirrer , and they thought that was fine as long as the speed wasn't too high....
Thanks for the response!!

I'm definitely going to try CXCT nicotine, I've tried nude nicotine and it had a very peppery taste, then I read up on VT and it was waaay smoother, but it got peppery after a couple of months... Might be doing something wrong.

Great post Wayne!! A lot of great information!!!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the response!!

I'm definitely going to try CXCT nicotine, I've tried nude nicotine and it had a very peppery taste, then I read up on VT and it was waaay smoother, but it got peppery after a couple of months... Might be doing something wrong.

Great post Wayne!! A lot of great information!!!
what is wrong is how you are storing it...you have to keep it free from oxygen getting in it...if you go on cxct you'll will see they put their nic bases in tanks that allows them to fill it with argon or nitrogen and so the nic is never exposed to oxygen...or light....whose wayne.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone have any info on the nic sold by ECX? The only nic I've tried is MFS. Still working on the 100mg liter bottle I bought last Dec. Thought it was fine until I really got into DIY, reading forums, etc, and ya, noticed slight but definite peppery taste. I need to place an order for some flavors, and living in Mexico, it helps a lot if I can get everything I need in one order. I am very curious about some of these better nics that get talked up, so if ECX's nic is no better than MFS's, I might splurge and go with one of the more expensive/better options.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I enjoy Chemnovatic (VT) nic. I buy it from Poland. There is a cleaner nic out there though. Carolina Xtract. It's a cold extraction rather than European or India nic that has been cleaned up. There's no off odor, or taste. the smoothest I've ever had. Just don't take it from me. Here are some glowing reviews from VT and Nude Nic lovers. https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/3ho5h9/has_anyone_tried_carolina_extract/

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I enjoy Chemnovatic (VT) nic. I buy it from Poland. There is a cleaner nic out there though. Carolina Xtract. It's a cold extraction rather than European or India nic that has been cleaned up. There's no off odor, or taste. the smoothest I've ever had. Just don't take it from me. Here are some glowing reviews from VT and Nude Nic lovers. https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/3ho5h9/has_anyone_tried_carolina_extract/
I tried Carolina I...thought VT was better

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Please explain. Why was VT better for you ?
I don't know it could have been I let too much air get in my juice, but it seemed to me that VT was cleaner and let the flavorings shine through better could have been my error...carolina seems to have what alot of people have called an ashy understone?

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't know it could have been I let too much air get in my juice, but it seemed to me that VT was cleaner and let the flavorings shine through better could have been my error...carolina seems to have what alot of people have called an ashy understone?
I've vaped it up to 18 mg unflavored (my wife's strength). I haven't picked up any ash undertone. That could change in time though. Air does crazy things to the flavor. I'll let some sit out for some time and try it again. Thanks for the heads up.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've vaped it up to 18 mg unflavored (my wife's strength). I haven't picked up any ash undertone. That could change in time though. Air does crazy things to the flavor. I'll let some sit out for some time and try it again. Thanks for the heads up.
sorry dude I had my head up my butt.....again......I was going to oreder cxtc but I ordered usaliquidnicotine....which was not as good as VT.

tminit

Member For 4 Years
What is the proper storage for VG? I see PG & Nic suggested to go in the freezer. Also, I read elsewhere that you should put them in a zip lock first.

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nic hates oxygen, regardless of what it's suspended in. If you're buying in quantity for storage, CXTC (Carolina Xtract) is the way to go. Always store nic solution in glass containers with as little space for air as possible and keep it out of sunlight. I use the freezer mainly because it's pretty much always dark in there unless I'm looking for that elusive ice cream. ;)

If you want the maximum shelf life possible, get some wine bottles and one of these or similar. A little overboard? Who am I to decide? :D

Flavor Alchemist

Member For 4 Years
Nic hates oxygen, regardless of what it's suspended in. If you're buying in quantity for storage, CXTC (Carolina Xtract) is the way to go. Always store nic solution in glass containers with as little space for air as possible and keep it out of sunlight. I use the freezer mainly because it's pretty much always dark in there unless I'm looking for that elusive ice cream. ;)

If you want the maximum shelf life possible, get some wine bottles and one of these or similar. A little overboard? Who am I to decide? :D
Which Nicotine ? Super critical or Pharmaceutical?....and what percentages do you recommend?......VG/PG?

Flavor Alchemist

Member For 4 Years
This is just a quick post about some "research" I've been doing. I have a simple strawberries and cream recipe that I mix as my ADV. I know the flavor of it from front to back and have been vaping it for quite some time now. I usually use this mix as a way to test my new RDA's and tanks, to see how the flavor output is. A few months ago I mixed it up with some VG/PG I don't normally use. I used this base because it was sent to me, and I wanted to give it a try. I mixed it up and it tasted very very flat. Not only that but there was an unpleasant flavor coming from it. Almost like it was "stale" or "expired". The best way I can describe this flavor is that it tasted like sweat. Fucking gross. So this got me thinking, how much flavor is really dependent on the bases we use? I know a lot of the companies use the same Nicotine and VG supplier, but I also know a lot of them filter and purify their bases differently from eachother. How much of a difference between them all depends on your experience, but it's safe to say that not all VG/PG/NIC is alike. So I tried to obtain all the "major" bases available to do this little experiment. I would make a batch of my ADV with each different base and nic, at 0mg, 3mg, 6mg and let it steep a week and vaped them all and took notes. For companies who make VG/PG only I used 0mg. I mixed at 50/50. Vaped through various RDA's and tanks though all on their own RDA with no crossing. Here are my notes. Take what you want from it, and PLEASE add you opinions and experiences with the bases YOU'VE tried. It only makes our vape experience BETTER!

THE BASES NOTES

Liquid Barn:
Anyone who knows me knows that I enjoy using LB and pimp them out as often as I can. They have great customer service and they put out a good product, so whenever someone asks me where I get my stuff I like to recommend them. By far, this is my favorite stuff to use because it's clean, reliable, and makes mixing easier.

VG/PG: Clean, crisp, and non intrusive. Comes in good packaging for storage and has a spout cap which makes mixing by weight such a breeze. This is the stuff I use in my personal vapes, and I think is one of the best available. One thing comes to mind when vaping this is that it's clean. It's like comparing tap water to filtered spring. Very reliable. Seems to really be great in any type of recipe. No problems with subtle flavors, heavy flavors, and anything in between. Really good stuff.

NIC 100mg: Also some of my favorite nicotine. Same plastic packaging as the VG/PG, THOUGH I wish it came in glass. Nicotine should be in glass when it can, especially when put away for long term storage. Just like the VG/PG this stuff is clean, and non intrusive. Their USA sourced nic has somewhat of a strong odor, but in the mix, is not apparent. They also give you a sheet with the batch number, date, and the percentage of purity which is a great addition. I've had no issues all the way up to 6mg and it was very smooth throughout. When purchased with the VG/PG package you can't ask for a better base.

WIZARD LABS:
I used WL before I moved to LB. They have a pretty great product and pretty reliable. I've had an issue with them only once, but other than that a pretty good company to use.

VG/PG: Great bases. Comes in plastic, no spout cap. Very clean, flavorless. I've had absolutely no problems with their bases. A little pricier if ordering less than a gallon, but a good price at a gallon. No flavor leak, non intrusive. All you can ask for a base

NIC 100mg: A touch peppery, a little harsh, but very very slight at 3mg. At 6mg, it's a little more prominent and may cause concern for some. Plastic amber bottles, no spout. Has MSDS and COA available. A great option for those ordering their first purchase all at WL. Flavor leak extremely minimal, mixes well. I had one issue where one time I was given a batch that only kept for a month. After a month the peppery flavor was so prominent I had to throw away the entire bottle. It was very scratchy and itchy and non-vapeable. Other than this issue, this is a fine choice.

NUDE NICOTINE:
Some of the best VG/PG available with great nicotine as well. Touted as sometimes having less than stellar customer service, as well as having a few bad batches, this is a product that is good...but is a gamble. This is my experience, though.

VG/PG: Some of the best you can get. VERY clean, very crisp. Absolutely no issues, no flavor leak, flavorless, completely non-intrusive. Plastic bottles. One of the pricier options. I've had no issues with this stuff at all, and would purchase from here exclusively if it was a cheaper option.

NIC 100mg: Also an excellent product. This product really shines with it's packaging options. You can order your nic in glass which is great and best of all, you can order with ARGON for long term storage! An awesome addition I wish all suppliers had for DIY. They also have started adding LUER SLIP TOPS for their nicotine to really minimize oxidization. This is all at a cost though. There is absolutely no flavor to this, extremely clean and pure. This nicotine was also accurate. The issue comes with their track record. They have been known to have a few bad batches where the target concentration was much higher than expected. This is a big issue. Never happened to me though, and I'm very happy with my product I received.

BULL CITY VAPOR
A great company who everyone loves to use for flavorings. Not really known for their bases, they do offer a VG/PG alternative.

VG/PG: A perfectly fine option. Clean, fresh tasting, with slight flavor muting. I often use this company when ordering a bunch of flavorings and just need some VG/PG, and don't want to split up the order and be charged extra shipping. Absolutely reliable and never had any issues. You do get a slight taste. It's almost a metallic flavor, that does hurt brighter flavors. Also the flavor muting is there. I generally use this as a last resort if I'm low on base at the time and am currently reupping my stash...which is rare. I'm assuming maybe they are ordering from a large supplier, and just stocking this stuff.

NIC: BCV used to carry VapersTek, but no longer any more.

VAPE CLARITY:
A New nicotine player in the game .

VG/PG: None

NIC 100mg: I received a tester back when they first came out and was very very upset. The nicotine came with a quarter missing, a dirty and unprofessional label, clear transparent packaging, and no seal at the top. I hear this has all changed but I am only going with my experience. As for quality, it was pretty good. Clean, no flavor leak, though there was some muting that came from it. It's just a slight softness around the edges. No odor, AT ALL. Which was very surprising. Very accurate as well. The price is also one of the best available though the muting effects do keep me from using again. A great choice for a cheap nicotine IF BOTTLE PRESENTATION AND PACKAGING IS FIXED.
On the Liquid Barn Nicotine.....which Nicotine are you recommending?.....USA Liquid Nicotine or NICSelect liquid nicotine?

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I've got to say, I'm very disappointed with the liter of nic I got from ECX. Popped it in the freezer when I received it. Opened it up in order to break it down into smaller bottles a few weeks later when I had finished up the last of my liter from MFS. Took a wiff, and my noise recoiled with a very strong and sharp, and most definitely unpleasant "paint thinner" type smell, that horrible smell of poor quality nic.

I was traveling for the holidays, and made my travel batch of juices with the remainder of my MFS nic. Just recently got home, and have only had a chance to make a few small samples to see if the horrible smell effects the taste. I vape 6mg juice, so thank god the taste doesn't seem to be effected too much. But, I also have some older friends for whom I make juice for the eGo set ups, more like around 18mg, and I'm really worried that at that higher level this ECX nic will negatively effect the flavor.

Super bummed and disappointed, as it would have been great to have ECX as my one stop shop for most all my DIY needs. And now I've got a liter of nic in my freezer that burns my nose when I smell it. :(

VU Sponsors