Become a Patron!

Am I gonna have a bad time?

PryingOpenMyThirdEye

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I KNOW this has been posted before and I even Google searched other forums and found my answer (somewhat.)

This question is about coil storage I want to know if what I'm doing is considered wrong.

So I only have 6 juices or so (I just bought 2 more tonight.) What I've been doing when I want to try a new juice since my flavors are all somewhat different is taking out the coil, wiping it down a bit with a q-tip and putting it in a zip lock baggie keeping in mind to release as much oxygen as possible before I seal it. I notice a couple days later that the cotton is pretty saturated still.

#1. Is this unsafe? Since the cotton is moist do you think there could be bacteria growing? I know once the coil fires it would kill some, but since the cotton doesn't get that hot, could I be exposing my body to harm?

#2. Is this gunking up and prematurely killing the life of my coils? I noticed when I returned to Sugar Drizzle the coil was kinda sticky and cotton very wet.

I tend to change flavors once or twice a day max for now as I'm still exploring. It would be kind of a pain to clean, soak them in some type of alcohol and then dry them when I could be returning to that flavor the next day. I'm trying to keep the process simple, but yet don't want to prematurely kill my coils as I'm using the OCC coils I bought with my Kanger Topbox Mini until my kanthal, cotton and ohm meter gets here.

Insight or suggestions?

PryingOpenMyThirdEye

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm working on that. I have 2 Eleaf iJust2's (for travel) on the way from Fast Tech (but we all know that will be a while) and one is for the lady for her no nicotine. Just got back into vaping a week ago. My first setup was 3 years ago and that was an "official" ecig with crappy juices compared to what there is out there today. That only lasted months. The industry is so much more fast paced now and able to keep my attention.

I guess instead of all of my coil making necessities, an order of nic from VT, and an order teetering around $100 from BCV with an assortment of concentrated flavors and PG/VG... I should've invested in more tanks first...

By the way, any suggestions on tanks that will fit the Kbox Mini? That's what the Topbox came with. I was looking at a uWell Crown and the new Rafael but idk if it's all just (twist?) and play as long as it's 510?

Also maybe a few good ones that will fit the iJust2.

Still would like to know if what I'm doing is safe?

Cheers!

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If they are kanthal the coil will rust over time. All premade coils that are not tc are nichrome even if they say American sourced kanthal its still nichrome so it won't rust.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also our eliquid is naturally antibacterial so I'd say your safe

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
#1 - doubt it's introducing bacteria into your body. Your not lickign the cotton, the only way for bacteria to get from the cotton to your mouth would be by riding the vaper coming off the coils (which would be as hot as the coils at the time of evaporation) or the air flowing through the mod (which also flows over the hot coils)

#2 - No real clue since I've never experimented with using a bag. But when not using a bag it can cause the cotton to go bad faster because the liquid will still naturally evaporate a bit rsulting in it getting thicker on the cotton. More gunk to get stuck the next time you vape. I drip, but cotton is cotton. If I stop dripping and vape my rda until the cotton is about dry, I have noticed that the cotton tends to last nearly twice as long. Kanthol can rust as well since it is iron based, but the cotton will go bad looong before a coil rusts to the point of breaking.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
All premade coils that are not tc are nichrome even if they say American sourced kanthal its still nichrome so it won't rust.
Who told you that?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Okay, so I just pulled apart an unused Aspire BVC coil. The wire's magnetic.
Edit: Also, they're not rusted, either.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also our eliquid is naturally antibacterial so I'd say your safe

Wins the internet for recognizing bacteria won't grow in a PG base. But what about the people who use Max VG?

From DOW chemical With concentrations at or above 20%, both ethylene and propylene glycol inhibit the growth and proliferation of most microbes and fungi.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@dre Seriously - Who told you that? There's enough misinformation about our choice to vape. I'm just curious where that "information" is coming from.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
edit; test it for yourself use a magnet nichrome isn't magnetic

I couldn't resist this. But Nichrome is magnetic, you just haven't studied the science behind the metal. Even Iron will lose it magnetic attraction if the Curie Temp is met.

nichrome1.jpg

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can't pick up my n80 coil clippings with a magnet. The coil thing was from something from a while back and I tested that theory and assumed it correct.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
b0d503a5d025a958108be640e5f09ed9.jpg

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@dre Seriously - Who told you that? There's enough misinformation about our choice to vape. I'm just curious where that "information" is coming from.
It was some video where a dude took coils apart and tested the wire. It's over a year ago so guess the Chinese changed there practices. I tested. It myself back before I started building I'm not one to pass bad information so I'm sorry for that. I admit Internet defeat for that one.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ohhhh snap! Dre redeemed his honor.

I'm just kidding, guys. I obviously know jack sh*t about this subject. Give me a guitar, though... ;)

Uh, no he didn't.

I can't pick up my n80 coil clippings with a magnet. The coil thing was from something from a while back and I tested that theory and assumed it correct.

That's because it's not magnetic at room temperature.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's over a year ago so guess the Chinese changed there practices.
Yup, that could be it. I bought the coils that I tested last May. I haven't really used them much since I started building my own.

VU Sponsors