Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Asvape Defender Pod Kit Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Asvape Defender Pod system

Introduction:
The Asvape Defender is the latest pod kit from Asvape and retails at 88.00 from ave40. It’s a simple pod style device with 1 button to fire it and designed to look like a shield. It’s got a nice mirror finish to it, so fingerprints will stay on it for sure. It’s available in 1 color stainless steel.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • All-in-One Vape Device System
  • Unique Shield Shape Design
  • Powerful 1200mah Built-in Battery
  • Micro USB Charge Port
  • 4ml E-liquid Capacity
  • 360 Taking E-juice, Excellent Flavor Experience
  • Coil Replaceable
  • Vape by Lung in 0.3ohm
  • Chip Set Protection
  • Healthy Medical Grade SS316 Material
  • Size: 90mm x 65mm x 20mm
  • Max Power 38.5W(0.3ohm,3.4V)
  • Capacity: 4ml
Included in box:
  • 1x refillable Pod
  • 2x Defender 0.3ohm Coils
  • 1x Defender Device
  • 1x User Manual
  • 1x USB Cable
  • 1x Clean Wiper
  • 1x Gift Box
Picture Album
https://imgur.com/a/TK6yy

Kit Rundown
The Asvape Defender Is a Pod style AIO (all in one) kit, meaning there isn’t a separate mod or tank that can be used with anything else. It’s also a pretty large one compared to most pod systems. A little smaller then an atopack penguin but larger than most pods. It’s features a bottom airflow that has a DTL vape. Air is non adjustable like most pods. It has a good capacity of 4ml but uses a decent amount of juice as well. The battery is listed at 1200 mah and has pretty good life thanks to the low power output (max 38.5 watts listed). Also the 1st hit and the last hit before needing a charge is pretty much the same. You don’t notice it getting weaker until you are a few puffs from it being dead. It features built in USB charging but they don’t list the rate. Still it charges pretty fast. I didn't time it but charging from a laptop USB it seemed around 2-3 hours to charge. The mouthpiece is on the top of the “shield” and built into the body. It’s just a hole at the top.

It has 1 LED Light on it. It’s inside the mod so you have to take the cover off to see it. It’s on when the pod is in use only. It also stays on while charging and turns off when the pod is fully charged. It changes color based on the charge of the battery. Blue is full, Yellow is about half full, and red is low. Filling the pod is very easy. Just pop off the cover which is easy to do using the airflow holes, and the rubber plug can be easily accessed to fill form there. You don’t need to remove the pod unless you are changing the coil in it. Use a fine point bottle to fill it. Filling is very easy. The pod itself is not pretty tinted so juice level is not easy to see. Also to check you juice level you have to remove the cover. I would have liked a cutout personally, but i can understand how that would have ruined the design as well. Usage is very easy,just press the button to fire. 3 clicks turns it on or off (vibrates when you do this). Overall a very easy to use and nice little vape pod. It’s also built quite well and full metal body that’s quite durable.

One more thing to note, the manual (which is a solid metal shield) lists some protections and features. One is an “anti-dry coil” protection. When you have a dry coil it’s supposed to not fire and instead vibrate and turn it off. This pod does nothing of the sort. I was able to vape on a completely dry coil a nasty burnt hit over and over. (dry hits are the worst). So it doesn't work at all. It does have a 10 second cut off.

Coil Performance and details
The kit comes with a 1 pod and 2 coils (same kind) which are the only kind available for the Avapde Defender. I’m happy they included a spare personally. The coil can be changed out of the pod using a “pop in” coil type like the crown 3 and is very easy to replace. They list it as a .3 ohm coil and it’s ni80 (not kanthal) and appears to be a dual coil 3-4 spaced wraps, 28-30g wire. The mod is made to fire at 3.4 volts (38.5 watts). As far as the actual coil performance goes. The flavor was really good for a pod system. This isn’t your ordinary pod at all. It’s more comparable to a low watt sub ohm tank because that’s pretty much what it is. Much like their asvape cobra tank, or the firelord or similar tank. I tried some 50/50 30mg nic salt juices in it, however it was just too much of a vape for it. This pod isn’t really made for high nicotine vaping. I wound up using mostly 70/30 (VG/PG) 3mg juices in it instead. Coil life was really good. I ran 80ml in the coil and it was still good, But i took it apart to see the insides. It’s not a huge juice drinker so that should last most people at least a week if not 2. I’m pretty impressed with it. It also handles chain vaping well. This is a pod system that is essentially meant to replace a full low watt set-up with something more portable and easy to carry. It’s not one made for the MTL crowd or high PG, high nicotine juices.

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • Size - (really small for a DTL set up, but large for a pod)
  • Looks and style
  • Battery Life
  • Lowish Juice Consumption
  • great for beginners due to ease of use
  • Charges fast (under 4 hours)
  • refillable pods
  • coil performance and life
  • easy to remove pod and fill and replace coil
  • battery indicator
  • great flavor for a pod
Cons:
  • can’t see juice level without taking off cover
  • fingerprint and mouth gunk magnet
  • anti-dry hit protection doesn't work
  • a bit expensive (88.00 on ave40)
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one i’m going to leave at 50/50. It was a tough one to gauge. On one hand, it’s a great portable vape for the low watt DTL vaper. On the other hand, it’s not used like most pods and I don’t want to confuse people. It’s not made to emulate a cigarette. It’s also quite pricey or what you get. If it was a bit cheaper like 50ish i’d probably lean a little yes as a portable DTL vape set up. But for that price you can get a small internal or single battery mod and a small low watt sub ohm tank that would still be very pocket friendly.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

It can be purchased here for 88.00 https://www.ave40.com/asvape-defender-all-in-one-kit-1200mah.html

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from ave40.com

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors