Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Lost Vape orion Pod Kit Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Lost Vape Orion Pod Starter Kit, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is not marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Lost Vape Orion Starter Kit Pod System is one of the latest and first Pod Kits from popular manufacturer lost vape. They also recently released the Orion Q which is a cheaper alternative and doesn't have the DNA Go chip in it. Lost vape is most popular for their mods with DNA chips making some great mods like the drone, therion, triad, and paranormal series of mods. The Orion is a rectangle style AIO Pod system with a built in 950mah battery and is in typical DNA fashion easily the most customizable and feature rich pod system on the market. It’s available in a ton of colors. There are 4 frame colors Black, Blue, SS, and Gold as well as 2 panel designs carbon fibre and abalone both panel designs available in a few color options. It’s available as a device only or in a kit with 3 pods included. The device alone is 60-65 USD depending on color at elementvape and the full kit runs for 65-75 USD depending on color. Pods are sold for 11 USD per 2 pack

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Internal 950mAh Rechargeable Battery | ~450 Puffs Per Charge
  • Advanced Evolv DNA Go Board
  • Maximum Wattage Output: 40W
  • Replay Functionality - Green Light
  • Three Power Outputs: Low (White), Medium (Blue), High (Red)
  • Intuitive LED Lights - Proper Mode Assessment
  • Highly Responsive Firing & Adjustment Button
  • 3mL Refillable Pod Cartridge Design
  • Each Pod Lasts About 400 Puffs Per Pod
  • Proprietary Pod Cartridge Installation
  • 0.25ohm SS316L Orion Pod - Vapor-Focused
  • 0.5ohm SS316L Coil Pod - Flavor-Focused
  • MTL Delrin Drip Tip
  • Dual Adjustable Airflow - Located Below Drip Tip
  • Micro USB Port - Charge & Firmware Upgrade via Escribe
  • Short-Circuit Protection
  • Weak Battery Protection
  • Temperature Protection
  • Low/High Resistance Protection
  • Frame Colors - Stainless, Black, Blue, Gold Frame
  • Panel Colors - Carbon Fiber, Gold Abalone, Ocean Scallop
Included in box (full kit version):
  • 1 Lost Vape Orion DNA Go
  • 1 Lost Vape Orion Lanyard
  • 1 Micro USB Cable
  • 1 Instructional Manual
  • 2 0.25ohm SS316L pods
  • 1 0.5ohm SS316L Pods
Coil Options
  • 0.25ohm SS316L pods
  • 0.5ohm SS316L Pods
Picture Album
album

Kit Rundown
The Lost Vape Orion is a rectangle style AIO (all in one) Pod kit, meaning there isn’t a separate mod or tank that can be used with anything else. It does have replaceable pods so you can carry spares, and the coils themselves are inside the pod and not replaceable much like the Renova Zero or Innokin EQ. It’s a pretty small size all things considered and comparable to a aspire breeze 2 height and width wise but a little thinner. There is an air adjustment on it which is cool. The air adjust is on the drip tip itself which is built into the pod and easy to adjust. It would have been a little easier if they added some knurling for grip but i can’t complain. It has a good capacity of 2 ml. The battery is listed at 950mah so pretty good size on such a small device. It features built in USB charging where they list 1A charging and claim a 45 minute charge time. I tested this 2 times with an inline USB meter and for the charge rate it held steady around .79A so the 1A rating is fair. Battery size wise i got around 1000 mah so good rating on the battery as well. It charges in about 1.5 hours so they do overstate the charge time quite a bit. It does have passthrough vaping as well which is great and the USB is on the bottom corner underneath a door that is easy to open. The drip tip is proprietary and part of the pod itself and acts like a standard drip tip. The Orion is very nicely built and feels solid and very lightweight. The coloring is also nice. I got the black with red carbon fiber one and it’s solid black not shiny but not matte, kind of in between and shows no signs of wearing. The carbon fiber looks nice as well. Personally though I do like the abalone designs better.

The Pod itself is easy to fill. It comes with an empty pod. The pods attach to the battery via a clip in system and are easy to get in and out and fit really well so good job there and fit it nicely with no wiggle or play. To release the pod just slide down the latch which is above the fire button. To put them back you have to put the back side in first then angle it on. To fill them it uses a little metal top cap you need to unscrew that has since nice texture for grip. Well done there and easy to fill. The fill hole is also very large for a pod system.

Usage is pretty easy for basic usage but also it’s packed with a ton of features so i’ll try and give a basic rundown of things without going too crazy. 5 clicks of the fire button locks or unlocks he device. Like any DNA chip it’s highly customizable via escribe software by plugging it into your computer. So let's talk about the out of the box settings. The mod has 2 modes a MTL and a DTL mode. By default the device reads the resistance and anything from a .2 ohm to a .39 ohm will run in DTL mode (for the .25 ohm SS pods) and anything from a .4 ohm to a .71 ohm with run in MTL mode (for the .5 ohm SS pods) each mode has 3 options based on the color of the LED where you can cycle them with the “mode” button under the LED in MTL the presets are White 8 watts, blue 10 watts, red 11 watts. In DTL mode it’s white 11 watts, blue 13 watts, and red 15 watts. You can adjust these values of course as well as the boost which is a preheat. The device is rated for up to 40 watts. It also includes replay mode. The device is always recording. When you reach the vape you like, you can hold in the mode button until the LED shows green which means it is now in replay mode which is basically just temp control mode and it works very well as expected. Tons of features and customization.

There is a nice easy to see LED in the front bottom above the mode button. It’s a simple pinhole LED. It’s on when vaping or changing the mode so you can see what mode you are in, or when charging and shows your battery level. To check battery level click mode twice. It has 5 levels of battery which is really great. Light blue means 95-100%, Green means 70-95%, Yellow means 30-70%, Red means 15-30%, and blinking red means under 15%. The pod is fully exposed and has a window to see the juice level but the pods are tinted so it’s not very easy to see the juice level. I really wish companies would stop tinting pods so we can see our juice level easily.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Coil Performance and details
The Lost Vape Orion Pod Kit comes with 3 coils which is great. Mind you they also sell the device only without pods which makes no sense but i’m only reviewing the kit I recieved. All kits should always include 2 coils/pods, so happy they did as a lot of them seem not to. There is 2 coil options for this which are the .5 ohm SS pods and the .25 ohm SS pods. The kit includes 1 of the .5 ohm and 2 of the .25 ohm coils. I used 50/50 nic salt juices 20 mg nicotine and 70/30 3mg juice as well. The airflow doesn't really lend to being a MTL pod system. It’s more of a low watt DTL box where you can kind of do a very loose MTL vape with the high MG nic salts as well. Personally I liked it more as a low watt portable DTL box then as a MTL high mg nic salt simple pod system. I think many others do that much better for just trying to quit smoking, but as far as small portable DTL boxes there aren’t many out there so ti fills that niche a bit. Flavorwise it’s ok. It’s a “tier 2” pod system which means it’s good and more then acceptable, but not great by any means. The main issue i had with the pods though is all 3 of them are way overwicked. This led to vaporlock even with the 50/50 juice and was only worse with the 70/30 juice. I found myself mostly using replay and when the dry hit protection kicked in and i didn’t get much of a vape i’d have to unscrew the fill cap to make it wick. That was the only way i could use it and it was all 3 pods that did it which kind of ruined the device for me.

Pros:
  • color options
  • Good 2ml capacity
  • Great build quality on battery
  • nice looks
  • good paint job
  • Passthrough Vaping
  • large battery size for a pod
  • good flavor for a pod system
  • pods are easy to remove and install
  • good battery meter that is easy to see
  • comes with 3 coils
  • filling pods is easy
  • accurate charge rate and battery size ratings
  • charges pretty fast (about an hour and a half)
  • small portable size
Cons:
  • Juice level a little hard to see due to pod tint
  • price point for device and coils
  • pods don’t wick very well and always vaporlock
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this POD kit or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, and this one is really tough to call. The device itself is pretty fantastic. We get true TC on a pod system that works good and it’s very versatile. With that said it’s not really a MTL pod and it’s not really a good option for people just looking for a simple pod system to quit. It’s more of a niche low watt restricted DTL AIO box for more advanced vapers and does a good job at that with the exception of the pods not wicking which kind of killed the whole device for me personally so i’m going to have to lean a little towards the no. If they ever improved the pods wicking or made an RBA deck for it, i’d jump on that for sure and recommend it, but as it stands now, while i’m sure many will enjoy it it’s just not something i can personally recommend as it is. I won’t be adding this to my spreadsheet of recs which is linked below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from elementvape

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors