VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Smoant Battlestar Mini

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Smoant

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews which you can find the list here And done over 150 video reviews on my channel here Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews. I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future. I keep a running spreadsheet of recommendations you can find here as well to help you find a good mod or atty that suits your needs. I also have a best of 2017 list here

Introduction:
The Smoant Battlestar Mini is the new single battery version of the popular battlestar mod. The battlestar originally came out in 2016 to little or no fanfare, but over time grew into one of the most recommended mods out there due to it’s low cost and high durability and it’s performance. The battlestar mini aims to fill that same niche but for people looking for a smaller single battery mod. It’s available in 2 colors black and yellow.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Compact size: 37mm24mm81mm
  • Takes single 18650 battery
  • Display: 0.96 inch OLED screen
  • Output range: 1 – 80 W
  • Output modes: VW / VW Curves /Bypass / Temp (Ni, Ti, SS) / TCR
  • Resistance range: 0.05 – 2.0 Ohm for Temp / TCR mode
  • 0.1-5.0 Ohm for VW / VW Curves
  • Temperature control: 100 – 315°C / 200 – 600°F
  • Can be charged through usb directly
  • Puff counters available
  • Reverse protection/ Over-heating protection/ Low voltage protection /Short-circuit protection/ Over-time protection
  • Color: Black, yellow
Included in box:
  • 1 Smoant Battlestar Mini
  • Instructional Manual
  • USB cable
Pictures and test results
Chart:
UhErsBE.png

Spreadsheet:
4Cd79Bu.png

Stock Shot Colors:
51eaa69a04afbebfb6541135a95a2b69.image.330x412.jpg

Size comparisons

JW8msG9.jpg

EpAVaeX.jpg

VrA6c5a.jpg

t3sRu5p.jpg

Handchecks:

Tur3UL2.jpg

nsm00Si.jpg

qXMnmZH.jpg

Spelling error
z1lzhwz.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty impressed with the looks of it. It’s literally a mini battlestar as the name suggests. Same design on the sides, and with the battery door. It’s a flat rectangle shape however. It’s a little on the tall side but very slim. The nice big bright screen is a welcome upgrade compared to the screen of the battlestar. Overall a nice little mod.

Watt Mode Performance
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .12 , .16, .21, and .52 ohms. wattage points were max (80), 60, 40, and 20. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 53 watts and 21 amps. For the rest of the testing it was never off by more than 2 watts. At .16 it maxed out at 71 watts due to the amp limit. The rest of the testing it was never off by more then 3 watts. For the .21 test it maxed out at 76 watts. For the rest of the testing it was never off by more than 4 watts. For the .52 testing it maxed out at 79 watts and 6.417 volts. The volts shows there is a boost circuit like most single battery mods. The rest of the testing it was never off by more than 5 watts.

The power curve mode works excellent as well. You get 5 settings of watts and duration. Watts is up to the max of 80 duration of each point is between .5 to 2 seconds) so it’s very customizable and easy to program. You hold down and fire to adjust the watts of each point or up and fire to adjust the time of each point. There are no preheats in regular power mode so if you wanted a preheat you’d have to use curve mode but again it’s easy to set up. The mod also features a bypass mode if you like that kind of thing

Overall i found this to be a good performer in power mode. It was accurate and it’s only listed rating of 80 watts is accurate as well. I got 79 max. The volts were high enough to show a boost circuit so that was good as well. The amp limit was a little disappointing. It maxed at 21 amps. I haven’t done a ton of single battery mod tests. It’s something i’m working on to build more recs but the ones i have tested usually have a max amps of 25-30. If you plan on using really low ohm coils it’s something you should be aware of. At .12 your only going to get 53 watts max because the limit but once you hit .16 you can get over 70. It read resistance very accurate as well sometimes .01 high. The mod and chip itself handled my stress testing very well. It didn’t get hot at all. One of the cooler running mods out there. Output was smooth and consistent the whole time.

Temperature Control
Using SS316 wire with the default SS mode and also TCR mode using 00092. I tested 4 builds ranging from single round spaced single and dual coils, to fancy single coils no fancy dual coils due to the low watt limit of a single battery device. The SS mode runs much hotter then using TC mode. I’m thinking their default for SS is TCR of 105 it’s something i’ll have to talk to them about. The mod works better using TCR mode so i suggest using that. There is no watt limit in TC. With that said, I found this mod to be very consistent. In TCR mode it hits a little weak i found a nice warm vape around the 480-490F mark. I think most will find the vape they like in the 450F to 550F range so figure it hits about 30-50F lower then it should. Still it’s nice and smooth doesn't throttle hard and the dry hit protection works well. No complaints here especially since single battery mods are lacking in the temp control area. I found this to be a good performer in temp control.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
I didn’t take this apart personally, not that it would be hard to i just didn’t feel a need to. The 510 pin is pretty nice but there was 1 tank and i can’t remember which one that wobbled a little on it. All the other tanks will have some wobble when screwing down but once it’s all the way down it’s nice and tight. Not a big issue IMO but worth mentioning. Every tank i put on it worked though. 24mm atomizers won’t have any overhang. The mod is built very solid and feels durable. I have no button rattle at all. The battery door style is just like the battlestar. A magnetic blackplate door. It works well and the magnets are strong but there is a little play in it. Again not a big deal to me but worth mentioning. The battery tray is awesome, really easy to get batteries in and out and doesn't use a ribbon and won’t damage wraps. The fire button is nice and large and clicky as well.

This mod has quite a few modes as well. Obviously you have power as well as TC mode (Ni200, Ti, SS, TCR) Full watt curve curve programmable on chip, and bypass mode. The screen layout is simple and gives you the necessary info. There are a few glitches and mind you this one is an early review sample, but there are spelling errors as pictured above. Watt says “WALT” and Volt says “VALT” Also the puff counter if you care about it. Resets every time you change batteries.

Usage is pretty easy. 5 click on and off like most mods. 3 clicks to change modes which makes your mode flash on top then up and down to cycle and fire to accept. When in watt curve mode use fire and down to adjust the power of each setting and up and fire to adjust the duration of each setting. When in TCR mode use up and fire to swap between adjusting temp or adjusting watts. Use the down and fire button to adjust the TCR setting. When in SS mode use up and fire to swap between adjusting wattage or temp.

Pros:
  • Power performance
  • small size
  • accurately rated
  • Build Quality
  • Sleek simple design
  • Temp performance
  • power curve mode
  • easy to use
  • good battery trey
Cons:
  • little play in battery door
  • 510 pin has some wobble until tank is screwed all the way in
  • spelling errors on screen
  • low amp limit
  • puff counter resets at battery change
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not. I Don’t like to do hard yes or no but this one is going to lean towards the yes. It does have a few minor nagging cons but the overall performance and solid build quality is there and the mod itself is available for less than 30 dollars. My sheet has been lacking in the small single 18650 area so i’ll gladly add this one to my sheet assuming they at least fix the spelling errors which bothers me more than it should.

It can be purchased

China here for 25.29

USA here for 28.00

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

VU Sponsors