Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Vandy Vape Kylin II RTA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Vandy Vape Kylin 2 RTA. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Vandy Vape Kylin 2 RTA is the latest RTA from very popular vape company Vandy Vape. They don’t really need much of an introduction these days as everyone knows who they are but their most popular products this year are probably the pulse squonk mods but also did a good job with the bonza, phobia 2, kylin mini, and revolver atomizers this year. The Kylin 2 RTA is the follow up to their original kylin RTA that came out last year which was one of my favorite ones for 2017 so lets see if this one can live up to the name? It’s a 24mm at the base but does bulge out to 26 mm and even 30mm with the bubble glass and is a dual coil DTL RTA with a postless style deck and 3ml standard capacity and 5ml max capacity with the included bubble tank. It’s available in 7 colors Matte Black, Matte Grey, Rainbow, Gunmetal, Gold, Blue, and SS. Looking around online I see it runs around 30 USD with lots of sites to by from. Elementvape has them in the US for 29.95 all colors in stock

Manufacturer's Specs
  • 24mm Diameter
  • 30mm Diameter At Widest Point
  • 3mL Standard Capacity
  • 5mL Maximum Juice Capacity - Extension Glass
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
  • Innovative Postless, Quad Terminal Build Deck
  • Intuitive Curved Build Deck Design
  • Terminal Opening Size - 2mm by 1.75mm
  • Diagonally Secured via Gold-Plated Hex Screws
  • Single or Double Coil Configurations
  • Adjustable Juice Flow Control
  • Dual External Adjustable Airflow - 12mm by 2.5mm Each
  • Eight Multi-Holes Internal Air Slots - 1 mm Each
  • Six Angled Internal Air Slots - 4mm by 1.5mm Each
  • Beveled Internal Airflow Design
  • Convenient Slide-to-Open Top-Fill Design
  • 810 Resin Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 810 Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 17.5mm Wide Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • Gold-Plated 510 Contact Pin
  • Color Options - Stainless, Matte Black, Matte Grey, Rainbow, Gold, Blue
Included in box:
  • 1 Kylin RTA II
  • 1 Resin Drip Tip
  • 1 Delrin Drip Tip
  • 1 Spare 3mL Pyrex Glass
  • 1 Accessory Bag
  • 1 Coil Lead Guide
  • 1 User Manual
Pictures Album:
album

Initial Impressions
When I first got this RTA it seemed right up my alley as a dual coil DTL RTA with a postless deck not to mention i really did like the original kylin RTA as well, not the first first version but when they made some fixes to it with the multicolor ones. I like that it comes with a bubble glass 5ml capacity as well since the standard 3ml is a bit small. Overall though a pretty basic dual coil RTA which there haven’t been a ton of this year and things are trending more towards smaller setups these days.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a pretty standard postless deck which is a personal favorite of mine but which also means you have to precut your leads. The good thing is Vandy vape includes a coil lead measuring tool as well and while lots of time i find them mislabeled, vandy vape got it right marking it at 5mm leads. This makes it really easy to get your coils built and ready to install. You also can install the coils 1 at a time as each lead gets its own hole and combined with the included tool makes it really easy to build on even for beginners. They use good quality hex grub screws as well so no issues there and another favorite of mine. The post screws come in from the side so flat wire leads won’t be twisted when installing and it works great for flat and round wire coils with no issues. I’d recommend a 3-3.5mm ID coil but you can fit up to a 4mm as well. Overall nothing groundbreaking but just a well done postless deck and the included tool makes it easy to build on for even new builders.

Wicking on this one is super easy. It wicks pretty well so you don’t need to go super thin on your wicks. Just make sure not to overstuff them and drop them right in the cutouts made for them and leave a little bit of room. Really simple and easy to wick. Just don’t overstuff it or you’ll get vapor lock. It’s a slightly raised deck which we see of a lot these days which helps with the wicking as far as not having leaks.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a dual coil RTA as intended. You could run a single fat coil as well but personally i was never a fan of running single coils in a RTA designed for dual coils as they never seem to work as well as a good single coil RTA. I ran 4 builds in it. 3 fancy builds at 3mm-4mm ID and one simple round build at 3.5mm ID. It’s DTL for sure but not super airy. Performance was really good for fancy wire builds as the deck can take a pretty large size coil and that’s where it shines as there is a lot of air, however with the round wire build there was a noticeable drop in flavor and other RTAs do round wire better. It’s best with 3-3.5mm ID fancy builds and in that situation has provided some of the best flavor i’ve gotten this year from a RTA. It’s easily in my top 2 along with the lotus RTA.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a bottom airflow RTA with 2 large air holes equally spaced apart that you can adjust from the outside. The AFC is nice and smooth and on a stopper. It’s easily adjustable on or off mod and has some design for grip. Very well done. The air is nice and smooth, not loud and doesn't whistle on any setting

The top fill is your standard slide back fill. This is the big change from the original kylin that had no fill port (you fill directly in the glass) and the multicolor one that had the screw off top fill with 2 large ports. Personally I prefer the screw off top fill but the slide back on this works great with no issues and the fill hole is a good size to fill with any bottle but i wouldn’t pour juice in from a glass bottle. My only complaint is they don’t clearly mark where to push it. The stock pics show a white arrow which would have been nice, but the actual RTA only has a tiny matching color dot that is hard to see. They should have made it easier to tell where to push from.

There is a good amount of accessories that come with it, It comes with a standard 810 resin friction fit drip tip (colors varies depending on color choice) and a delrin 810 tip and an a delrin 510 tip adapter, 2 tips plus an adapter is good in my book and I really like the resin tip. The drip tip fits nice. Not too snug but not too loose and you can use any of your own tips 810 and 510. It comes with 2 tanks as well, a standard 3ml tank and a bubble 5ml tank. The Vandy Vape Kylin 2 RTA also includes plenty of extra o-rings, 4 spare post screws (all hex grub), an allen wrench and 2 coils but no cotton came in mine. The coils are clearly labeled which is great as well. They are ni80 triple core fused clapton coils 28Gx3 + 38G 3mm ID 6 Wraps .41 ohms each. Excellent job at labeling the coils! You also get the cool coil lead cutting tool that is clearly marked on where to cut (5mm) and is marked correctly for this RTA so yeah just an excellent job.

The quality on the Kylin 2 RTA is great. Vandy Vape usually makes good quality stuff especially at the price point. All the threading is really nice and smooth, there is texture everywhere it should be. Easy to take apart and you can remove the deck with an almost full tank which is nice, I’d say about 90% full or less and you can rebuild without dumping the tank. The coloring on the Matte Black is nice and not shiny. It’s a 24mm diameter RTA that bulges to 26mm with the 3ml glass or 30mm with the 5ml bubble glass so it shouldn’t overhang most mods. The 3 ml capacity is very small for a dual coil RTA but the 5 ml included bubble glass makes it an average capacity. There is no JFC and it doesn't need one. I had no leaking or flooding issues and it handled chain vaping really good as well. Branding is nice and simple. Just a Vandy Vape logo and the word “KYLIN II” on the chamber visible through the glass.

Pros:
  • Great Build Quality
  • 2 Standard 810 Drip Tips and a 510 adapter included
  • great quality hex grub screws
  • large fill hole
  • Great threading
  • Bubble glass included
  • plenty of spare o-rings and 4 spare post screws
  • nice smooth AFC
  • Simple slide back fill design
  • great texture everywhere it’s needed
  • easy to wick
  • Flavor is excellent
  • 5ml capacity is good enough with bubble tank
  • easy to build
  • included coils clearly labeled
  • included coil lead cutting tool
  • no whistle or loud airflow
  • color options (7 total)
Cons:
  • some cotton would have been nice
  • 3ml standard capacity is small for a dual coil RTA
  • not great for round wire builds but still good
  • slide back fill isn’t marked clear enough where to push
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one i’m going to lean heavy towards the yes. It’s easily one of the top 2 dual coil RTAs i’ve used this year along with the hugsvape lotus RTA. it’s a flavor monster for sure that’s easy to build and easy to wick and even comes with the tool to make pre-cutting your coil leads easy. I think Vandyvape really knocked it out of the park here. I would have preferred a screw off top fill but that’s just my preference and really no major cons on this. I added this to my sheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Vandy Vape

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors