Become a Patron!

Any recomendations to wick?

I've been vaping for almost 6 years, and I've been using RDA/RTA/RDTAs for 5 of those years, and no matter how I wick my coils, I always feel that I used too much or too little cotton. Sometimes I think I did a good job with the wicking, however when I try to use the same method again, I feel it's too tight or too loose. Is that something anyone else has experienced? what are your tips for wicking correctly more often?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just go by feel pretty much. Sometimes with square pads I try to cut them in 4 equal pieces which ends up being the right amount or very close. I make almost all of my coils 3mm which helps keep things consistent.

Before anyone mentions laces like Cotn threads, I'd like to say most laces seem to have too much cotton for my liking. If I ever use them, I tear some of it off usually. We're all different and like different ways of doing things. If I had to guess, I'd say I use less cotton than most people. That goes especially for mesh.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use about half a sheet of a square of Muji cotton pad. What I do is peel off the outer sheets and discard them. Then, peel off sheets as needed. I get about 4 sheets out of each pad so that's roughly 1 mm thickness.

Cutting one of these in half gives about 30 mm X 25 mm X 1 mm size "sheet". That gets rolled up Scottish roll style and put into a 3 mm inner diameter coil. Then, I trim it down to fit no longer than touching the bottom of the inner deck.

That's roughly what I do aside from trying to leave about a half a mm in the top of the coil open as an air tube.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Navigate to 2:42 in the video below.

You can actually feel those areas where there's more cotton packed denser together. Additional stretching in these specific areas may be needed to ensure more evenness, and, I generally continue stretching it like that until the piece has gotten almost half an inch longer than it was before I started out. The fibers will be lined up nicely also as a result, which helps to improve the juice flow (and helps to avoid burning the wicks in half, especially with 2.5mm coils that measure at least 7mm in length). Instead of combing the tails out, I pull loose fibers out from the ends of the trimmed tails before I re-trim. Leaving an air gap in the top of the coil is a classical example of what NOT to do. So, only pull loose fibers out from the tails to thin them out some, but certainly don't try to thin out the part that is located on the inside of the coil. How tight you want it to be in there is correctly explained also in the video.

VU Sponsors