Become a Patron!

Any True Cigarette Flavoring for DIY?

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've read through the tobacco threads - not looking for pipe (I make a NET for that) or sweet RY4-based, but a true cigarette flavor. Been some years now, but have tried American Blend Red, Gold, Burly, Virginia, Honey, Cavendish, Orient, Orient Black, etc .... and also tried mixing various amounts of certain ones of those together as at the time word was you needed a mix this, that and the other thing, to taste like cigarettes. Steeped from up to a week to up to a year. Threw them all away except for the original American Blend juice I made from a Flavor Art bottle but after that I tried to buy it again and their AB flavor had changed. (And still didn't taste like cigarettes anyway, but at least it didn't taste like nuts or perfume.)

So has anyone found a flavoring that actually tastes like cigarettes?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Doesn't sound like you ever played with any Flavorah flavors.
They are known for tobaccos and just released:

Mild Tobacco
Vanilla Tobacco
RY4

All of my public tobacco recipes can be found here and I am pretty sure you might find an idea worth playing around.. :)

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Smoky Blue... again not looking for anything sweet (like RY4 or Vanilla), but a true cigarette taste like Marlboro Red.

I assume this is the company you were affiliated with so you must know their flavors well (and have seen your highly impressive PDF of recipes)... I just went to their website which directed me to Wizard Labs...

Will read your recipes and see what they have... thanks. :)

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey Smoky... when you have "0.06 ml" in a recipe (for example), how many drops per ml are you basing your recipes on? 20?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Smoky Blue... again not looking for anything sweet (like RY4 or Vanilla), but a true cigarette taste like Marlboro Red.

I assume this is the company you were affiliated with so you must know their flavors well (and have seen your highly impressive PDF of recipes)... I just went to their website which directed me to Wizard Labs...

Will read your recipes and see what they have... thanks. :)

Bull city flavors is a better choice :)

Hey Smoky... when you have "0.06 ml" in a recipe (for example), how many drops per ml are you basing your recipes on? 20?

50 drops in 1ml

.06% is equal to 1 drop or .02g/.02ml
Looks like my website is down atm.. *sigh*

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Bull city flavors is a better choice :)

50 drops in 1ml

.06% is equal to 1 drop or .02g/.02ml
Looks like my website is down atm.. *sigh*

Thanks, and your website was not down last night when I was looking at your very interesting recipes. :)

50 x .06% = 0.03 according to my calculator. ?

The 50d per ml must be for PG or water? Years ago when I was testing different recipes I used a dropper to see and VG came out at 20 drops per ml IIRC. (I use 100% VG as PG bothers my lungs.)

That's my only concern here... that mixing multiple PG-based flavors into one juice will be too much PG. That's why I was kinda hoping for a single concentrated flavoring that had surfaced over the years that was a good cigarette flavor. Adding a low concentration of one flavoring ends up with less PG (when that flavoring is not available in a VG base... and while I have found some flavors over the years that are VG-based, most aren't, as you know.)

I see Flavorah has a multitude of tobacco flavorings, but I guess there's not a single one that's a quite good estimation of cigarettes, all on its own?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, and your website was not down last night when I was looking at your very interesting recipes. :)

50 x .06% = 0.03 according to my calculator. ?

The 50d per ml must be for PG or water? Years ago when I was testing different recipes I used a dropper to see and VG came out at 20 drops per ml IIRC. (I use 100% VG as PG bothers my lungs.)

That's my only concern here... that mixing multiple PG-based flavors into one juice will be too much PG. That's why I was kinda hoping for a single concentrated flavoring that had surfaced over the years that was a good cigarette flavor. Adding a low concentration of one flavoring ends up with less PG (when that flavoring is not available in a VG base... and while I have found some flavors over the years that are VG-based, most aren't, as you know.)

I see Flavorah has a multitude of tobacco flavorings, but I guess there's not a single one that's a quite good estimation of cigarettes, all on its own?

each drop is .02g or .02ml so you will not find any "odd" numbers using flv. ie .003
I really had to figure things out, as elr is set up to a standard of 35 drops per ml.

When counting out 1 ml of flv, of any flavor.. I always get the .02g per drop.
There is exactly 50 drops of flv per ml. so 50 x .02 = 1.00g

I do not use any other brand of flavoring. I have picked up other companies over the years but I can promise, I did not like what I bought and always end up giving those flavors away. So I do not mix brands, like I said. These flv flavors do excellent in a 100% vg base or even a 60pg/40vg base.. I never ever adjust my recipes for the different bases nor do I increase for mtl as I find for me.. there is not much need.

As far as a "true, real" cigarette taste, you will never ever find that in "synthetic" flavorings. You can come close using flv.. it will be the closest you will ever find.

If I had to pick a solo tobacco flavor for a "smoke" style... I can not. This is why I built the "Winston" recipe, it's actually close to the real cigarettes with a 3 weeks to a month steep, but you can vape it soon after a week as long as you keep the actual steep time in your head.

I have created Marlboros, Virginia slims, Kent, Camel and more.. However I do not often share my tobacco recipes, and there is not much in my pdf other than some tinkerings.. It will be up to you to figure out what you are looking for, as we all know, everyone's tastes are different.

I actually like vaping the tobaccos as solos.. and that.. is where I get my ideas for other tobacco recipes.. same as any other flavor flv has :)

and nopes.. had to renew my site last night, it's good for yet another year.. :)

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you Smoky, I'm sure you're tired of explaining the same things over and over through the years. Appreciate the time you took for me. And appreciate the recipes you've made public. I did read the comments on your site from ppl who have tried them and they sure sound like winners.

I've never had a Winston, but realize ejuice can't capture the exact taste of cigarettes anyway. I've just never found anything even close. Like you, I have bought bunches of tobacco flavorings and ended up throwing them all out. Then I'd go for another couple years and try again with a different brand - and again throw them out.

So will try once more with Flavorah.... realizing everyone's taste buds interpret flavors differently and what tastes wonderful to one person might be terrible to another. Can't know if you don't experiment.

I did check out Bull City... unlike Wiz Labs, they have the newest flavors you mentioned in your first post here. However they don't speak to the ingredients, and Wiz Labs has notes where flavors contain diketones. So not sure which I'll order from, but it's nice having choices, so thanks again. :)

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
At BCF, if a flavor has questionable components there will be a warning in red in the description.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
At BCF, if a flavor has questionable components there will be a warning in red in the description.

I agree with @gopher_byrd just look at the image.. if it has questionables... the picture will denote it.. but honesty... what's in the flavors, the amounts are sooo tiny.. and way less harmful than what is in a cig.. relax and enjoy what you taste :)

So will try once more with Flavorah.... realizing everyone's taste buds interpret flavors differently and what tastes wonderful to one person might be terrible to another. Can't know if you don't experiment.

Very true!! I wish you the best, if you come up with something fantastic, be sure to share! :)
If you need more help, just post on inbox me :)

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree with @gopher_byrd just look at the image.. if it has questionables... the picture will denote it.. but honesty... what's in the flavors, the amounts are sooo tiny.. and way less harmful than what is in a cig..
But I'm not smoking cigs, so... :giggle: In fact I was never a habitual smoker but did smoke on occasion b/c I enjoyed it. Mostly flavored cigarillos. But also went through a Djarum period (saw your recipe but that's one I won't revisit). Edit: meaning the heady clove flavor is not something I want now - wasn't referring to the recipe. :) And when I was younger, Marlboros when I was in the mood. Or American Spirit Yellow.

Then vaping took the place of the occasional smoke... but instead of occasionally, it was daily b/c when I started I thought there was no harm whatsoever in vaping. (And it wasn't stinky.) :)

Then the mantra turned into "harm reduction" ...then the diketones info came out.... And all my fave flavors had diketones. So cut them out.

Now, years later, I will enjoy those flavors sparingly and rarely as a treat. But don't want to have to limit a good tobacco flavor to rarely. So I will be creating one without diketones (like substituting Sweet Cream for the Cream). I know it won't taste the same (nothing beats diketone flavors) but that's a trade off some will want to make and others won't care about. :)

Thanks again for your help... will def get some Flavorah in the next couple weeks and give it a whirl - steep and all. :vino:

Last edited:

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Turns out it didn't take a couple weeks... :giggle: order was placed earlier... I went a little crazy... that mouse doesn't know when to stop... added nearly every Flavorah tobacco flavor and a handful of their other tasty-sounding flavors. Will resurrect this thread when I mix Smoky's Winstin recipe (which I'm sure will be great), and do some experimental mixes too, allowing for steep time.

But Smoky my wallet says I'm not allowed to play with you anymore. :cheers:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Not my fault, no way!!! :hearts:

I sure hope you have fun, 11... let me know what you think in a few months :D

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wow! Bull City really IS a great vendor! I expected my order to be shipped by regular old mail (not even priority) since the amount qualified it for free shipping,.. just assumed they'd send it the cheapest way. Instead got an email from them this morning it's been shipped FedEx 2nd Day Air!! Didn't expect to see those flavors for a very long while but looks like I'll be mixing sooner than I thought!

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Wow! Bull City really IS a great vendor! I expected my order to be shipped by regular old mail (not even priority) since the amount qualified it for free shipping,.. just assumed they'd send it the cheapest way. Instead got an email from them this morning it's been shipped FedEx 2nd Day Air!! Didn't expect to see those flavors for a very long while but looks like I'll be mixing sooner than I thought!
Bull city flavors also has some of the best customer service i have ever encountered.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

Thanks @wllmc hehe.. he is going to have a blast!! :bliss:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I've read through the tobacco threads - not looking for pipe (I make a NET for that) or sweet RY4-based, but a true cigarette flavor. Been some years now, but have tried American Blend Red, Gold, Burly, Virginia, Honey, Cavendish, Orient, Orient Black, etc .... and also tried mixing various amounts of certain ones of those together as at the time word was you needed a mix this, that and the other thing, to taste like cigarettes. Steeped from up to a week to up to a year. Threw them all away except for the original American Blend juice I made from a Flavor Art bottle but after that I tried to buy it again and their AB flavor had changed. (And still didn't taste like cigarettes anyway, but at least it didn't taste like nuts or perfume.)

So has anyone found a flavoring that actually tastes like cigarettes?
I used to like tobacco flavour when I started. I can ussure you Flavour Art Dark Vapure is an actual cigarette ashen taste. Very strong, only need .2 to .4% So if you find some other flavour you like but is missing that actual tobacco taste, thats what you add.
I used to use it with Flavour Art Seven leaves. Long time ago now but I think it was 3% Seven Leaves and .2 Vapure

7_Foglie_10ml.pngDark_Vapure_10ml.png

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You also need to be aware, sometimes Bull City will ship you orders you may not have placed. Go with it. Someone likely ordered something for you to try. You can do the same just let the customer service know, "hey, here's an extra $10 put on So and So's account and send them wish list items", or "send So and So a bottle of this flavor, my treat". People around here *points to VU* get flavor bombed. I've also gotten wire bombed from Temco a few times. *chuckles*

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hangsen were the only one’s that came close. RY6 had that sweet taste of TAR. Probably long by gone now.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used to like tobacco flavour when I started. I can ussure you Flavour Art Dark Vapure is an actual cigarette ashen taste. Very strong, only need .2 to .4% So if you find some other flavour you like but is missing that actual tobacco taste, thats what you add.
I used to use it with Flavour Art Seven leaves. Long time ago now but I think it was 3% Seven Leaves and .2 Vapure

View attachment 181661View attachment 181662
Hey thanks for that! That's a small enough order than I don't mind picking those up! And I like FlavourArt b/c they were one of the few companies that were transparent about their ingredients from the start, listing anything with diketones as 'kitchen use' and not for e-cig, making sure their e-cig flavors did not have these added. Leaving it up to the customer to make informed choices (Which TFA also made a big effort to do.)

FlavourArt is also the only company (back in 2014) that had a tobacco flavor I enjoyed that didn't taste like nuts or perfume (the American Blend). Though it didn't taste like cigarettes, but it was enjoyable.

So I'm super happy to add those two to my (en route) extensive Flavorah collection, which I know I will also enjoy! Thanks again!

Last edited:

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hangsen were the only one’s that came close. RY6 had that sweet taste of TAR. Probably long by gone now.
Thanks. I remember (again in 2014) when I forayed into one of my tobacco hunts, Hangsen was high on many people's list at that time. Never tried them cause that's also when I first became aware of ingredients I didn't want to vape, and Hangsen wasn't being clear about their ingredients then. Don't know if that's changed. But will keep them in mind... however between the many Flavorahs and the two FlavourArts, I have faith my hankering will be hankered. :giggle:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Hey thanks for that! That's a small enough order than I don't mind picking those up! And I like FlavourArt b/c they were one of the few companies that were transparent about their ingredients from the start, listing anything with diketones as 'kitchen use' and not for e-cig, making sure their e-cig flavors did not have these added. Leaving it up to the customer to make informed choices (Which TFA also made a big effort to do.)

FlavourArt is also the only company (back in 2014) that had a tobacco flavor I enjoyed that didn't taste like nuts or perfume (the American Blend). Though it didn't taste like cigarettes, but it was enjoyable.

So I'm super happy to add those two to my (en route) extensive Flavorah collection, which I know I will also enjoy! Thanks again!
You are more than welcome.
Those reasons, no daap's are the reason the majority of my concentrates are FA.
One FA I found was a head scratcher. Glory! It was peanuts at low % peanuts at mid % and peanuts....well you get where its going. If anything it was the most realistic peanut flavour id tried :giggle: and it was supposed to be tobacco.
Good luck with the mixes. 👍

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are more than welcome.
Those reasons, no daap's are the reason the majority of my concentrates are FA.
One FA I found was a head scratcher. Glory! It was peanuts at low % peanuts at mid % and peanuts....well you get where its going. If anything it was the most realistic peanut flavour id tried :giggle: and it was supposed to be tobacco.
Good luck with the mixes. 👍
Ha! I had the same experience with a some Vermilion River tobaccos I tried years ago. Nuts, nuts, and more nuts... even after steeping for months. (Their flavors might have changed now, IDK.) Seemed every one of any brand I tried was either nuts or perfume.

The perfumes are the worst. I spent all afternoon [a few weeks ago] digging out my old 120ml bottles that - THREE YEARS AGO - had "tobacco" juices steeping in them, long-ago emptied and rinsed - but still smelling like perfume from the fumes stuck in the plastic cones of the caps. Had to rinse the bottles in vinegar, then distilled, and soak the caps in vinegar baths, then baking soda baths, trying to get rid of that horrid perfume smell. Even soaked the caps overnight, but still a few of them won't give up the ghost. They stink so badly I can't use them for fear the fumes will taint my new juices. So have to order new ones. 'Tobacco' my ass! :giggle:

Good to know about Glory... will make a mental note of that one! :)

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Flavors arrived from Bull City and @Smoky Blue - your two Winstin recipes are steeping away. I printed labels with the ingredients to tape on them, called Smokey's Winton 1 and Smoky's Winston 2. Yes, dated. :) And have to agree with the people who commented on these flavors on your site - adding the Lime was genius, though I haven't vaped them yet of course, but just smelling them you can tell how that's going to add to the flavor. :)

And now I have a gabillion little bottles of flavors staring at me... take one down, pass it around...

What I need are 25 or 30 15ml bottles to make each flavor up on its own to steep, so I know what each is really like for making recipes later...

... it's one of life's mysteries that no matter how many bottles you buy in how many different sizes, you always need the size you don't have. Just like when you wind the garden hose back up it always whips around and squirts your feet at the end, even while you're thinking, now don't let it... D'oh! :giggle:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
adding the Lime was genius, though I haven't vaped them yet of course, but just smelling them you can tell how that's going to add to the flavor.

Given enough time, the lime actually becomes tasteless.. but still separating the tobaccos.. the juice will bounce on you :D

What I need are 25 or 30 15ml bottles to make each flavor up on its own to steep, so I know what each is really like for making recipes later...

I always use 30ml bottles.. and if that will not do it, I have been known to use 60ml, 120ml for solo flavor testing.. and yes, there are some flavors that you will need to go that high to use, if you happen to luck up on the real super concentrates. :)

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Given enough time, the lime actually becomes tasteless.. but still separating the tobaccos.. the juice will bounce on you :D

I believe!

I always use 30ml bottles.. and if that will not do it, I have been known to use 60ml, 120ml for solo flavor testing.. and yes, there are some flavors that you will need to go that high to use, if you happen to luck up on the real super concentrates. :)
Yeah, decided to use 30ml bottles b/c I have those. :)

BTW some weeks back before you & I 'met' I saw reference to the PDFs you made available and had downloaded them, but had only glanced at them back then (enough to see the enormous amount of work that went into them, and the years behind that)... So just now was getting ready to make these tobaccos up, wondering how many drops I should add for each flavor, knowing it wouldn't be the same for each one... when I remembered about your PDFs I'd saved, and went to look again, and there were your estimates for each FLV, for number of drops where taste is first detected, max, and your preferred. WHAT A TIME SAVER. Beforehand I was thinking "If I screw all these up by not adding enough or adding too much... " then new ones would have to steep all over! Now, thanks to you I have a baseline for each flavor. So appreciated!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I believe!

Yeah, decided to use 30ml bottles b/c I have those. :)

BTW some weeks back before you & I 'met' I saw reference to the PDFs you made available and had downloaded them, but had only glanced at them back then (enough to see the enormous amount of work that went into them, and the years behind that)... So just now was getting ready to make these tobaccos up, wondering how many drops I should add for each flavor, knowing it wouldn't be the same for each one... when I remembered about your PDFs I'd saved, and went to look again, and there were your estimates for each FLV, for number of drops where taste is first detected, max, and your preferred. WHAT A TIME SAVER. Beforehand I was thinking "If I screw all these up by not adding enough or adding too much... " then new ones would have to steep all over! Now, thanks to you I have a baseline for each flavor. So appreciated!

I really need to update that file to include the new flavors.. but all of the new ones are still not out, and life is getting in the way now.. not sad about it.. I just have a lot going on right now :)

It won't be long.. Cactus (Aloe) and Waldmeister, along with a few others will be coming too.. maybe by then I will be in a spot to take a bit and post updates :D

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I took a wild guess for Mild Tobacco and Vanilla Tobacco, :) the two new flavors you mentioned in your initial post on this thread, (which I'd also picked up, long as I was on a roll) :) ... just used 9d/30ml for Mild T, and 6d/30ml for the Vanilla T. (The Mild T smells especially YUMMY!)

Looks like an apothecary in here. :) Time for bed. Hoping they steep 3mo worth overnight. :giggle::cheers:

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Never did make it to bed! Still organizing, etc, then realized after I squared the tobacco bottles away, I had the sweet flavors I hadn't tried yet... and OMG!! SoOOOoooOOoo good!

Made up just 10mls ea of these FLV's using your preferred percentages:

Milk Chocolate
Maple Bar
Smoked Butterscotch
Raspberry

... and dripped one drop at a time on to my coil, in that order.... and OMG... with each new drop the flavor of the previous drops were still there and this is def a juice I'm making up tomorrow! Tasted like a chocolate covered bar donut with a little raspberry jelly inside! The maple and butterscotch giving the impression of the donut!

Was so freakin' good (each flavor on its own too) that I had to login to let you know... (esp since I can't comment on the tobaccos for awhile)! That Milk Choc is the most accurate chocolate I've ever personally had. Most choc's I've tried have a strong/harsh chemical bite/note, regardless of the % used.

In short, I'm really liking your flavors, bud! :cheers:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Never did make it to bed! Still organizing, etc, then realized after I squared the tobacco bottles away, I had the sweet flavors I hadn't tried yet... and OMG!! SoOOOoooOOoo good!

Made up just 10mls ea of these FLV's using your preferred percentages:

Milk Chocolate
Maple Bar
Smoked Butterscotch
Raspberry

... and dripped one drop at a time on to my coil, in that order.... and OMG... with each new drop the flavor of the previous drops were still there and this is def a juice I'm making up tomorrow! Tasted like a chocolate covered bar donut with a little raspberry jelly inside! The maple and butterscotch giving the impression of the donut!

Was so freakin' good (each flavor on its own too) that I had to login to let you know... (esp since I can't comment on the tobaccos for awhile)! That Milk Choc is the most accurate chocolate I've ever personally had. Most choc's I've tried have a strong/harsh chemical bite/note, regardless of the % used.

In short, I'm really liking your flavors, bud! :cheers:

haha!!! yes.. you should try this recipe, especially if you like donuts :D

**[Smoky Blue's O.M.G. OG ](https://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/3311461/Smoky%20Blue%27s%20O.M.G.%20OG)**

Ingredient|%
:---|---:
Coffee (Flavorah)|0.40
Fried Dough (Flavorah)|0.40
Maple Bar (Flavorah)|0.80
Pound Cake (Flavorah)|1.20

Flavor total: 2.8%

Remember to rate it at [e-liquid-recipes.com!](https://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/3311461/Smoky%20Blue%27s%20O.M.G.%20OG)

and yeps... all girly here.. I have the parts and all ;) *giggles* :D

Happy you are having fun playing.. I is! :D

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Unfortunately I don't have the flavors for that recipe. I blew my wad on tobaccos and only threw in the few flavors I mentioned in the last post (and Lime cause I knew I needed that one for your Winstin recipe). Da'am.

Thanks for the clarification (one I make a lot as people in forums assume I'm male - the way I write I guess). As it happens I call my friends 'bud' short for buddy... (Laverne & Shirley, Lenny & Squiggy, Lucy & Ethel... :giggle:). I'd name modern comedies but don't like many modern comedies! So didn't mean to imply gender but while we're on it I believe all people are a blend of both - another kind of recipe each with its own unique notes and nuances.

Already peeked in on my steeping bottles this morning. They didn't have anything to say so left them to it. :)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
They didn't have anything to say so left them to it.

I am surprised they did not flash you, since you were peeping!! :p

Ok back to work I go!! :D

No worries.. I get a lot of the "sir" bit too.. it's actually funny when a few find out I have the wrong parts for that :p :D Taking my Tropical Beach Smash UP and out the door I go..

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Smoky Blue Wowza! I took out the container of steeping tobaccos to shake each one up and had to smell each, and they are smelling MIGHTY tasty! :) In less than 48hrs they're already starting to lose the stronger notes and mellowing into delicious-smelling stuff, developing distinctive tobacco notes. They already smell more like tobaccos than anything else I've personally ever tried, and they're only going to get better. I can't wait to vape these when the time comes! (Not gonna cheat though!)

Speaking of which... how long should I let the solo flavors steep before I try them? A week? Two? I know probably a month is better. I imagine the Conn Shade should be a little longer than the milder flavors.

When I put the bottles away to steep originally, I left the caps just sitting on top but not screwed on, so air could pass. Right now they're sitting out without any caps, but I am going to put them back in the cupboard again. Is it better to leave the caps off entirely?

Thanks Smoky. :cheers:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
@Smoky Blue Wowza! I took out the container of steeping tobaccos to shake each one up and had to smell each, and they are smelling MIGHTY tasty! :) In less than 48hrs they're already starting to lose the stronger notes and mellowing into delicious-smelling stuff, developing distinctive tobacco notes. They already smell more like tobaccos than anything else I've personally ever tried, and they're only going to get better. I can't wait to vape these when the time comes! (Not gonna cheat though!)

haha... now you are seeing and believing ;)
Speaking of which... how long should I let the solo flavors steep before I try them? A week? Two?

Solos.. I test immediately, then 3 days, 5 days, 7 days, 14 days, 3 weeks and 1 month.
I write down all kinds of notes like:

Tastes like: ________
Might go with:________
Won't go with:_________

Mainly anything that marks the time you tasted it and what you can perceive and what you hope.. then within a month you will have a good solid idea of the flavor you are testing. I rarely test more than 6 flavors at a time, as my space for mixing has decreased with time and current business dealings.

When I put the bottles away to steep originally, I left the caps just sitting on top but not screwed on, so air could pass. Right now they're sitting out without any caps, but I am going to put them back in the cupboard again. Is it better to leave the caps off entirely?

No! No no no.... you keep those caps on. If you do not, you are letting out aroma molecules that need to be steeped in with your juice.. You are losing notes left and right and it will not come out right as you keep the cap on.

Test that out and you will soon see what I mean. Put the cap on and forget about it :)

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Solos.. I test immediately, then 3 days, 5 days, 7 days, 14 days, 3 weeks and 1 month.
I write down all kinds of notes like:

Tastes like: ________
Might go with:________
Won't go with:_________

Oh, ok.... yeah I can see how that would be helpful!

Mainly anything that marks the time you tasted it and what you can perceive and what you hope.. then within a month you will have a good solid idea of the flavor you are testing. I rarely test more than 6 flavors at a time, as my space for mixing has decreased with time and current business dealings.
When mixing juices in the past I noticed I lose the ability to taste objectively after mixing much more than that anyway. I'd mix all night and have all these little bottles out and labeled thinking I found some really great recipes... then the next day with a fresh palette... egads! :giggle:

No! No no no.... you keep those caps on.

(Catapulted from my chair to put every cap on tight!)

If you do not, you are letting out aroma molecules that need to be steeped in with your juice.. You are losing notes left and right and it will not come out right as you keep the cap on.

Test that out and you will soon see what I mean. Put the cap on and forget about it :)

Caps are on but I wont' be able to forget about it! :) Thanks Smoky!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, ok.... yeah I can see how that would be helpful!

I also test from lowest amount to highest.. to see where I start to taste, where it tastes good, and when it becomes either too much or it starts to taste off/mute out. You will be surprised. FLV has a few places where it will do the above even below 1%... :D It pays to know this as you do not want your juice to surpise you when mixing in a recipe. This is why solos are very important.

When mixing juices in the past I noticed I lose the ability to taste objectively after mixing much more than that anyway. I'd mix all night and have all these little bottles out and labeled thinking I found some really great recipes... then the next day with a fresh palette... egads! :giggle:

I used to test up to 12 solo flavors. I would pick one at a lower point, a different one and yet another amount, etc.. just to see if I can taste, can't, or it is too overwhelming. :bingo:
Caps are on but I wont' be able to forget about it! :) Thanks Smoky!

Just think of it as the smells are your friends and you do not want them to go away.. Seriously it matters, especially more so with the higher concentrated flavors. They are concentrated for a reason, use less to gain more. You can not do that when they are running around like cowboys and indians :vino:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@"11" The steeping with caps off idea came about when some flavors that were used by DIYers were carried in alcohol. Leave the cap off to let the alcohol evaporate. Very few use alcohol any more and losing those volatile flavor molecules can make a big difference. I never ever steep with a cap off!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
@"11" The steeping with caps off idea came about when some flavors that were used by DIYers were carried in alcohol. Leave the cap off to let the alcohol evaporate. Very few use alcohol any more and losing those volatile flavor molecules can make a big difference. I never ever steep with a cap off!

Don't take me wrong here, @gopher_byrd but a lot of the flv line does have a bit of that alcohol.. I won't go into breakdowns here.. but like I said a while back.. you need those gases to mature the juice fully. It's not like the lo/tfa/cap/fa flavors.. and the best thing is they only get better in time.

I really am searching my brain here.. I don't think I have had but maybe 2 mixes in what.. 7 yrs? that really went south.. mainly my fault for not soloing both sangria and moscato beforehand... other than that.. mmm... my wall stays stocked. :D

I still find it odd.. I went all flv.. and I do test out other flavor lines.. but it's just not the same to me.. my pallet is like wth?! and it's back to my flv... I guess it is preference?? I really read up on other brands and who likes what.. but I just don't get the same ooygooy feelings.. :p :D

and end of this month makes 6 mo, nic free!!! :D

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Smoky Blue Your tip on making notes for each flavor was super helpful. Analyzing the different tastes I could pick up and the overall impression, and dating the comments ..then will add comments below the existing ones (and date them) as I progress thru the steeping phase.

I don't want to say much right now because it's too early and this process will take awhile and not going to do a blow-by-blow each day, but I do have to say that overall your flavors are so well balanced compared tobaccos I tried in the past. Even now, before they've even steeped but 2 days, there are no harsh or in-your-face notes... I'd compare it to a musical score where there are individual instruments you can pick out, but they're playing so well together so that no single instrument is outshining the others, bringing undue attn to itself, even when that instrument is playing lead.

Just a couple other first impressions -

I already love the Tatanka as it's a perfect Prime Time Cigarillo base! Which was my smoke of choice for the 10yrs prior to switching to vaping. Raspberry and Grape PT cigarillos. (This is why I got raspberry Flavorah - was hoping to make this but figured I'd have to concoct a recipe myself from several tobaccos... well you already did it with Tatanka.) It was so close I couldn't believe it, so added a tiny touch of the raspberry juice (I made up the other night) to the coil ... just barely touched the edge of the dropper after touching the tip in the raspberry juice - and yup... could not HOPE for a better approximation of that PT Raspberry cigarillo flavor!!! Already the entire order is worth it! :giggle: FANTASTIC!

Also really like the Cured Tobacco... really smooth and nice! And the Mild, and the Vanilla (both remind me of Black & Milds which I also smoked on occasion between PT's)... Each of these mentioned are worthy of vaping all on their own, imo.

But they're ALL nicely done - including the ones used for mixing, like the Burley, VA and KY.... then the Conn Shade to me tastes like toasted coffee beans, a really nice accent flavor... IOW, not a single disappointment in the entire bunch and I got 10 Flavorah tobaccos! I couldn't be happier. Thanks for posting and steering me here ... (and I'm anxiously waiting for the Winstin recipes to steep!)

BTW when you said earlier "now you are seeing and believing" just want to say I believed you before I ordered them - which is why I ordered. But I didn't expect them to be so well balanced. So even believing you, they still surpassed my expectations. :vino:

Hats off to you for co-developing such a nice line of flavors!! And congrats on being nic-free for 6 months. :cheers:

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I might well have picked it up from that back when. Or might have been something from when I was reading about making NETs (2013)... maybe there's alcohol in some tobacco products ? I don't remember now, (made NET from Capt Black pipe tobacco - sooOoOooo good!).

IAC lesson learned. CAPS ON. :giggle:

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Where’s the love for Flavorah Turkish ? That stuff is fantastic. Tastes like Camel Turkish Gold’s that I smoked occasionally. @Smoky Blue What’s the best Flavorah Cigarette flavoring to mix with the Turkish? I want some more ash to taste more like smoking a Camel. It’s been 12 years since I’ve smoked. It’s nuts that I still crave the taste.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
@Smoky Blue What’s the best Flavorah Cigarette flavoring to mix with the Turkish?

mmm there are a lot you can play with Turkish with.. that ry4 that is out..
try this:

Turkish .6%
Ry4 1%
Sweet Cream 1%

This one will bounce.. the ry4 is just spot on dark caramel and tobacco.. has hints of ash, at least for me!

As far as a Camel.. I do have something close, will have to hunt for the recipe.
I created a bunch for my boss.. so I will have to make alternatives for the recipes.
Will have to dig and see what I can find, they are about 5-6 yrs old..

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
mmm there are a lot you can play with Turkish with.. that ry4 that is out..
try this:

Turkish .6%
Ry4 1%
Sweet Cream 1%

This one will bounce.. the ry4 is just spot on dark caramel and tobacco.. has hints of ash, at least for me!

As far as a Camel.. I do have something close, will have to hunt for the recipe.
I created a bunch for my boss.. so I will have to make alternatives for the recipes.
Will have to dig and see what I can find, they are about 5-6 yrs old..
Sounds great, Thanks! My favorite RY4 was Hangsen. Does the FLV RU4 have that tobacco taste?

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Time is the best, especially for the tobaccos. The key is keeping it all low, and not sinking a bunch of other flavors in :D
Yes I started low and had to raise it up to 1.5% on the Tantanka. It’s really tasty now. I rarely mix. I’m a soloist on my guitar and my juice making 1621218904445.png

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It does and it is much better than anything I have tasted :D

Sweet!!

View attachment 181809
This is my first case for a small gitty... really enjoying making the cases, and they will only get better :D
Nice case ! I’ll definitely get that RY4. Also looked up FLV Commercial Cigarette. I gotta have this! Commercial Cigarette flavoring concentrate formulated from the ground up for manufacturing and creating DIY recipes. Yeah, it is an ashy and earthy tobacco, but don’t stop there. This tobacco is a primary tool for adding musty ash notes to a richer dark tobacco. If all you want is the dimensional notes of a commercial tobacco, then shake and , but if you are creating something that has a particular fit and finish, try adding this to another FLV tobacco to get just the right level.

VU Sponsors