Become a Patron!

Any vape gods willing to help a noobie?

Hi everybody,
Ok to start off I have a SMOK Priv V8 with a medusa coil 0.25om/35-80/best55-65w. And i use Naked70vg/30pg What the guy in the vapeshop told me is better then the baby beast that it came with(burnt threw both coils in a month and tried to use them as long as possible) and left with 2 for 12 bucks( with a couple problems trying to find a coil to replace it).So my question is..
tl;dr
Can you help me understand what my options are for tanks/coils(dumbed down as much as possible)

yep.
you have the Baby Beast right and not the Big Baby Beast correct? (this is for the Baby Beast only because of the extended glass, RBA should work but you wont be able to close it if you have the Big)
couldnt tell you haha, its the one that came with the priv v8.

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm, just a thought, if OP is going to start building coils, they'll need a 521 tab or something as that mod doesn't appear to be a regulated device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
True. The Priv V8 is regulated in the sense that it does have protections such as low resistance, short circuit etc. But I do think he'll need a 521 Tab or a device with a screen to show the resistance of his coils. If he uses this mod, he will only be able to see it work or not but he won't be able to see the resistance of his build. Great suggestion

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here's that mysterious 521 TAB of which is spoken. There are other variants of it at varying costs as well. Do not get a ten buck one, they are shoddy at best and for ten bucks you're better ahead spending twenty or so.

You'll also likely want to get yourself a coil jig system. Lots of folks use screw drivers or drill bits. I rather have something that is dedicated solely to the task. One of these might also be handy as far as jigs go. Later on you may want to look up the Daedalus jig kit, it will help in doing more advanced coil builds, Claptons and the like. By then you might choose a common drill, too. Nuts like me wind them by hand.

If you're going to build/rebuild you are going to need some cotton wick material. A person can use rayon and it works fine and well enough, rather though steer a new vaper toward cotton. Rayon takes a little more something something to get a grip on how to wick it so it does good. Cotton requires less of the something something and will let you gain more of it as you progress by doing.

If you want a nice RDA deck for learning to build on, I suggest a Velocity style deck. This size of 22 mm will fit on most mods rather nicely, as well it's nice to learn the basics on. Others might suggest you start with a 16 or even 14 mm deck. If you want go for it, me I started on a 22 mm. Arthritis and nerve damage were deciding factors, that and lack of squinting and patience in building on tiny decks, guiding my call.

Hope I've been of help. By the by, no god of any sort I. :)

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
SMOK Priv V8
Is a cheap, basic, starter kit. No voltage or wattage or temp control. Wattage is somewhat controlled by a circuit that in very basic terms, limits amperage and wattage supplied to the coil. The Baby Beast that comes with the kit use specially made M2 coils, specifically designed to work with that battery mod. So long and short, you are pretty much limited to using the bb tank and M2 coils made for your mod. Simply put, you would be better off buying a new regulated mod with wattage and maybe temp control and using the Baby Beast atomizer you got with that kit, and getting a $12.00 RBA (rebuildable atomizer deck) for the baby beast. Otherwise, you will be spending say... $50.00 for a RTA (tank) and getting a weak vape (vs the M2 coils) and have to buy the new mod anyway, after wasting money on a new tank that you don't really need. (RBA will allow you to build and save money on coils)

@Vapellie You are correct. This is not a regulated device. It's basically a mechanical mod with a couple protection circuits built in.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm, just a thought, if OP is going to start building coils, they'll need a 521 tab or something as that mod doesn't appear to be a regulated device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A good ohm meter is something every builder should have and use.....
If only to use it for diagnosing MOD performance issues....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Hi everybody,
Ok to start off I have a SMOK Priv V8 with a medusa coil 0.25om/35-80/best55-65w. And i use Naked70vg/30pg What the guy in the vapeshop told me is better then the baby beast that it came with(burnt threw both coils in a month and tried to use them as long as possible) and left with 2 for 12 bucks( with a couple problems trying to find a coil to replace it).So my question is..
Can you help me understand what my options are for tanks/coils(dumbed down as much as possible)
Hi Brad and welcome to VU :wave: I'm going to assume you smoke and this is to stop smoking.

Looks like a mod issue to me. Not all coil/tank.
As you know, Priv V8 limits a person to only like what it gives you. Yeah, you have coil choices [even other brands/ohms] and airflow control, but that's not enough, really, when investing to vape/stop smoking. I think this situation starts at the mod and not the coil. You may find a coil that you for any reason like, but you'll still have a mod that [like the coil you choose] is going to give you what it gives you - and that's it, like it or not. If vaping to stop smoking, any investment in vape gear is returned very quickly buy not buying cigs.
For new to vape, I always first convey the basic concept of having a lot of adjustment in power [where Priv V8 fails] and airflow, so you can dial it in to what you like.
Priv V8 kit coil options is dictated by the mod. Looks like it self regulates instead of the user having control of the wattage. It's going to read the coils ohm and set the wattage. That's one of the things I don't like about it - it doesn't show you the Ω of the coil and you don't want to only go off of what is stamped on the coil.

The mod has a 60w max and you wouldn't want to run if that high. You want some head room. So coil option, even if something from say Uwell fits it, it would have to be one that runs under that 60w.

Coil/tank options? I would think any tank with an oem coil wattage max of 40ish watts. Looks like M2's are 25-45w depending on if .25 or.15 and a max of 45 and your mod is most likely setting them at about 35w since that is what Smok recommends.
But if the mod had that info for you, you wouldn't have to guess.

Instead of a diff tank, get a diff mod and keep that one for back-up. Then you can take control of power as well as get past your M2 and use ANY coil that will fit that Baby whether it's Smok or not.

Then if you decide to get a rebuildable such as an RTA , with a better mod you wouldn't have to start out with making the coils since they can be bought premade, or an ohm reader if your mod reads them. Just a couple basic hand tools can get you started.

Unless you already have one, for safety's sake get an external battery charger.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Brad and welcome to VU :wave: I'm going to assume you smoke and this is to stop smoking.

As you know, Priv V8 limits a person to only like what it gives you. Yeah, you have coil choices [even other brands/ohms] and airflow control, but that's not enough, really, when investing to vape/stop smoking. I think this situation starts at the mod and not the coil. You may find a coil that you for any reason like, but you'll still have a mod that [like the coil you choose] is going to give you what it gives you - and that's it, like it or not. If vaping to stop smoking, any investment in vape gear is returned very quickly buy not buying cigs.
For new to vape, I always first convey the basic concept of having a lot of adjustment in power [where Priv V8 fails] and airflow, so you can dial it in to what you like.
Priv V8 kit coil options is dictated by the mod. Looks like it self regulates instead of the user having control of the wattage. It's going to read the coils ohm and set the wattage. That's one of the things I don't like about it - it doesn't show you the Ω of the coil and you don't want to only go off of what is stamped on the coil.

The mod has a 60w max and you wouldn't want to run if that high. You want some head room. So coil option, even if something from say Uwell fits it, it would have to be one that runs under that 60w.

Coil/tank options? I would think any tank with an oem coil wattage max of 40ish watts. Looks like M2's are 25-45w depending on if .25 or.15 and a max of 45 and your mod is most likely setting them at about 35w since that is what Smok recommends.

Instead of a diff tank, get a diff mod and keep that one for back-up. Then you can take control of power as well as get past your M2 and use ANY coil that will fit that Baby whether it's Smok or not.

Then if you decide to get a rebuildable such as an RTA , with a better mod you wouldn't have to start out with making the coils since they can be bought premade, or an ohm reader if your mod reads them. Just a couple basic hand tools can get you started.

The mod is UNREGULATED this means it puts out wattage corresponding to the voltage of the battery. a .25 or .15 ohm coil will put out around 60watts down to 40 watts from charge to charge.. 3.2V at .25 ohm is 40.96watts 4.2volts full charge is 70.56watts limited to 60watts by the mod. .15ohm coil will do 4.2v at 117watts limited to 60watts down to 3.2V of 68watts limited to 60. In theory. assuming 100% efficiency and voltage cut off at 3.2. A true mech would put out the full wattages, as there is no circuitry to limit amp draw.

This is a COIL issue.... A good build is all that is needed.. RBA and DIY coils often only way to achieve correct build/coil in an unregulated mod.. Although there is likely a coil head out there that will work.. the trick is finding it..... $5 worth of wire does MANY MANY builds.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I have a SMOK Priv V8 the baby beast that it came with(burnt threw both coils in a month and tried to use them as long as possible)
If the 2 coils that came with it lasted you a month, you did real good.
This is a COIL issue.... A good build is all that is needed.. RBA and DIY coils often only way to achieve correct build/coil in an unregulated mod.. Although there is likely a coil head out there that will work.. the trick is finding it..... $5 worth of wire does MANY MANY builds.
OK. You suggest building RDA to work on that mod, and I'll suggest something different. I saw no indication of the op wanting to dive into buying/learning RBA/mech/rebuildable world. Good input tho. What i did see was an indication of options for 'tanks that use oem coils', which appears to be associated with the rest of the op, a coil issue. Meaning the tank is ok if they can find a coil they like.

@OP -If you like those 2 that lasted you a month, then just replace it when taste tells you its about done. If not, an option is a regulated mod to expand the coil choices for that tank, or a diff tank. There are mods that will do both regulated and unregulated(mech). If it's cost per coil, then rebuildabe is the way to go. There's RTA/RDTA/RDA......

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
$5 worth of wire does MANY MANY builds.

Eh, well it's roughly $6 now at TEMCo's site for a 250 FT spool of either NiChrome 80 or Kanthal A1. Still I agree it's a very minor cost for as much as a person can get out a spool. Not quite sure what Stu's place charges for Stainless Steel wire, not visited for a little, figure it's not too horrible much though for quality wire. Got some from another vendor a while back. It was alright but it was not the same quality as Stu's glorious Stainless Steel wire, the other vendor's wire just was not at such an excellent level of quality, just alright.

Upon looking the mod itself up, yes agree as well it seems to be an unregulated mod. It might have a MOSFET or such for 'blowing up' protection. One of those oddball mods that is just barely a mech. That noted like you I'd look at coils for troubleshooting. Been learning for myself that going lower with resistance eats battery charge. Past few days ... "damn, it dropped off". *chuckles* That's a coil problem as well yet one I could possibly live with as I know what's going on. Think I'll build back up to around 0.30 though, spare having to keep swapping batteries. :)

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

LOL I agree to a point. It IS a mod issue... the mod is crap. Well ok maybe not crap but certainly not suited to many options. It is like a Mechanical mod, meaning your wattage is determined by coil resistance, but that is limited by the protection circuits. The M2 coils have been specifically made for the baby beast and this mod. As such they give much better vape than regular BB coils. (according to another user).

"while its tank is the famous TFV8 big baby tank which is 5ml and shares all the baby beast coils, when used with the included baby M2 coil head, which specially made for stick v8 battery , it will bring you a smooth and flavorful clouds"

By the way, as someone else said, a month on 2 coils isn't bad. The guy at your vape shop should do some more research on the products he is selling. He should know that the M2 coils were designed by SMOK to be used with that battery in the baby beast tank (made by SMOK) on the stick V8 (again, made by SMOK). Oh others will work, just not as well.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You guys are missing the point... A mech does have regulation and adjustabilty..... it's just anolog rather than digital..... the PCB is replaced by the human brain... and the control buttons are receptacle by making the correct coil for the application....
You want more power build lower... less build higher. The amount of heat being controled by the amount and type of metals used to create the coil.

Yes the smok coils are ment to be used on the smok mod.... made for efficient electrical operation. ... but since GOOD VAPE is personally subjective. .. there may not be a smok coil made that fits a particular vapers requirements.

I will also note that same tank and those same coils are sold and used as set with Regulated MODs also....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Not missing your point ^ ...
Hi everybody,
tl;dr
An RBA addresses that ^ , in that it will cost less than $6 a coil and will work on that mod.
And my point is, changing to regulated mod could resolve a TANK/coil prob the TS thinks they have, since it vastly expands TANK & coil options, including any rebuildable.
Unless the TS points in a direction, none of us know anything :p:)

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
My friend has an Ello and loves the HW coils. Tried out her tank and they are better than the Smok coils imo.

VU Sponsors