Become a Patron!

Anyone have a template for recipe records?

mrsfogy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I will be attempting my first batch in the next couple of days. I want to be sure to take good notes/records of what I am doing/have done/should do or whatever. I am wondering if anyone has a good record keeping template that they use, of which, you'd be willing to share? I could certainly make one (and have started) but thought I would most likely not realize everything I need to include without seeing others. Thanks in advance!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use notebooks. Full of little odds and ends notes, recipes, percentages of things I've tried... just a notebook for me. I think I filled up 4 when I started researching, then mixing.

mrsfogy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Huckleberried , doesn't that cause you major frustration when going back and trying to find things? I feel like if I don't, SOMEHOW, computerize or spreadsheet it, I will have a huge mess of notes that I will be rummaging through in the near future. Maybe I will understand better when I actually start mixing

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have a weird memory when it comes to my notebook, lol. I have a vague recollection of what's posted in each one. It's not necessarily a photographic memory, I just think I was so into taking the notes, they became my go-to for quite some time. Always by my side anytime I was online.

I know others here do use programs, whether they use Excel, Word Documents or even Dropbox. I'm sure others will chime in. We're all over the maps in time zones.

mrsfogy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ahhhh, I see!! Well, I will probably take your advice and use a notebook, but I do NOT have a good memory (quite the contrary). The more I think about it the more it sounds like a good idea....extra notes that could be added and then at least I can transfer it to a blog of sorts so I can use control F as my faux memory. :) I would LOVE to have a memory like yours! Thanks again!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You could use index cards with an alphabetic divider set. Those are also super handy.

I just have a thing with pen and paper, I think. As much as I love my computer, I love notebooks and pen, actual books over Kindle... old school, LOL.

mrsfogy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Index cards!!!! That's the best idea ever!

I am actually quite old school myself (husband...even more so). I always get sad thinking about how the world (including myself at times) no longer knows how to write in cursive (actually removing it from school curriculum), knowing how to spell, knowing that "I" and sentences always start in capital letters, knowing how to draft a letter or even how to use a dictionary. I am jumping on my soapbox and that's never a good thing. Ha!

I love the index cards idea...it's just perfect for me! Truly, Thank you...you seem to always be such a huge help to others here!!

P.S. How do people read on kindles/nooks? My kids think we're crazy but, yes, we use the words "old school" quite often too. Have a great night!

Graveyvapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will be attempting my first batch in the next couple of days. I want to be sure to take good notes/records of what I am doing/have done/should do or whatever. I am wondering if anyone has a good record keeping template that they use, of which, you'd be willing to share? I could certainly make one (and have started) but thought I would most likely not realize everything I need to include without seeing others. Thanks in advance!

I've started doing my notes on evernotes, theres a desktop app along with a mobile app so you can bring your notes everywhere with you. Plus you can tag your notes so its easier to search for flavours notes, e.g) If I search for Cap Vanilla custard, it'll show up with all my flavour notes and my diketone warnings. That being said, I still do have a spare notebook where I put down any new flavour ideas I get, nothing better than pen and paper :)

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use my JuiceCalculator printouts and a three ring binder. Print, punch, into the binder in alphabetical order, and I make notes directly on the sheet. I enter over arching notes regarding flavors (my "reviews" of them so to speak, and % recommendations) into JuiceCalculator and they print out on the recipe sheets that use those flavors. When a sheet starts getting messy, I pull it, enter the info into the calc's notes box, and reprint. Just find it's faster, I can go right to the mixing table without anything electronic, and easier to remember things I've physically written down.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use the e-Juice mixing calculators online storage to easily share and have easy access. Printed hard copies for the oldest form of backups like Jambi. Hard copies work when the power is out!

:fyi:

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use e-juice lab ap i got in the playstore...
Home page, for adding flavors i aquire, creating new recipes, importing/exporting files (to print, if necessary) and viewing recipes i already have
35289e7d03a67a1bd16ca32e4ed8844e.jpg

When creating new recipe you can add at will and work out the nic, vg and pg manually or you can set those parameters and itll tell you how much nic, vg and pg to add at the end of adding your flavors for your desired percentages
8883d9d4cca94c88902dcf0ba6912664.jpg

Recipe list, seperated by types, in this case mostly custards and cookies
ea03edb79f4a3936a0af017b627f9870.jpg

And recipe layout, in the bottom theres a tab to add notes, like if certain flavors are overpowering or too subtle or aging times for next time if you need to adjust accordingly
dc7fd4682d76288ec5bb1a5cbcf46690.jpg

Pretty nice little ap. Its free but free version only allows to save 2 recipes, had to pay 2 bucks to unlock unlimited version.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I like utilizing http://e-liquid-recipes.com, due to the ability to access it from anywhere, having an Internet connection. I'm using the Comment section in the recipe, in order to keep my notes, since most of my recipes are private. Most of the time, I use my iPad to access my recipes online, which makes it convenient to get the required flavors together, without hauling a heavy computer around, or having to print out the recipe.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Index cards!!!! That's the best idea ever!

I am actually quite old school myself (husband...even more so). I always get sad thinking about how the world (including myself at times) no longer knows how to write in cursive (actually removing it from school curriculum), knowing how to spell, knowing that "I" and sentences always start in capital letters, knowing how to draft a letter or even how to use a dictionary. I am jumping on my soapbox and that's never a good thing. Ha!

I love the index cards idea...it's just perfect for me! Truly, Thank you...you seem to always be such a huge help to others here!!

P.S. How do people read on kindles/nooks? My kids think we're crazy but, yes, we use the words "old school" quite often too. Have a great night!

Mrs, you almost had me lusting…for my long forlorn collection of classic fountain pens. Ahh, those were the days when women were women and men were men, LOL, and a signature actually meant something. Oh well, they'll realize…what goes around comes around.

I like utilizing http://e-liquid-recipes.com, due to the ability to access it from anywhere, having a Internet connection. I'm using the Comment section in the recipe, in order to keep my notes, since most of my recipes are private. Most of the time, I use my iPad to access my recipes online, which makes it convenient to get the required flavors together, without hauling a heavy computer around, or having to print out the recipe.

Agree Neuner, a very versatile web app and db. Excellent output options inc BB, html and text. I drag and drop full recipes and formatting in .pdf directly to the desktop and blog software. Almost painless and a nice community.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Cowboy_Rich

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This might help.

It helps me.

Bout time I contribute something, right? ;-)

Trying to get my wife to show, or do it for me, how to create formula that calculates percentages of whatever based on the total. (3 = 10% of 30)

Not an Excel guru.

If you can't DL the file I would be happy to email it.

Attachments

• JUICE_RECIPES.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 34

I use http://e-liquid-recipes.com/ it has served me quite well so far.

I just started DIY and that is what I am using as well. It's free, and it seems to do what I need ATM.

Ejuice me up also provides a pretty stable app for download in which I also use. Also gives you a little more control of tweaks and other things. You can also print your recipes out once complete. I found the best method for keeping track without having to go back to your computer every time is an index card filing system.

StillWaters

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ejuice me up also provides a pretty stable app for download in which I also use. Also gives you a little more control of tweaks and other things. You can also print your recipes out once complete. I found the best method for keeping track without having to go back to your computer every time is an index card filing system.
Sadly, it is only for Windows or Linux.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I'm absolutely unwilling to stick to an enforced format with rules and limits.
I use legal pads, post-it notes (the colors! the sizes!), and a few huge files in my own shorthand code. It's totally organized to ME. I've always had a desk like that, too. That's not a heap of papers; it's my filing system. lol

PreparationHero

I drink and I know things
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm absolutely unwilling to stick to an enforced format with rules and limits.
I use legal pads, post-it notes (the colors! the sizes!), and a few huge files in my own shorthand code. It's totally organized to ME. I've always had a desk like that, too. That's not a heap of papers; it's my filing system. lol
My note taking looks like a drunk hoarders dream. I find crumpled post it's behind my pc, some spread out on elr, some in note files on my computer, some in a binder, some on my phone and I was recently yelled at for writing some in a random notebook that turned out to be my girlfriends dream journal. Everytime I try to get organized I lose things, including notebooks so I write it down on whatever's closest before I forget. I'm a lousy unorganized garbage person. :(

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I make notes in a special program and sometimes integrate the file with Google Docs, so my spouse can then see my calculations. You can unload the expenses from your advertising account into separate files, and then manually upload them through the BigQuery interface. There are disadvantages, but other than the lack of automation everything is fine. You can also write your own scripts, which will unload the information you need from the marketing service. The peculiarity of this solution is that its work must be constantly monitored and maintained. It also comes in handy in business, since the service is convenient for a large number of users.

One could easily make it all open source by setting up a LAMP, & using a HADOOP. I think for most end users there's not a need to use such cannons. Most are only looking for a K.I.S.S means to store a dozen, or so favorite recipes. They do not want to run a full scale business, subscription service doling out recipes.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors