Become a Patron!

Augvape Merlin Mini RTA on Dagger Mod

Hi, I am planning to switch to RTA, can someone please assist as I have never used RTA before;

1) Will it be ok to use Merlin Mini RTA on Dagger Mod?
2) Should I buy ready coils, which / ohms / type etc.?
3) Can I make my own coils? Type of wire? Simple Tutorial link?
4) Type of cotton to use
5) General Precautions with using RTA on the type of Mod i have

Thanks

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
1. Yes the merlin mini will pair up fine with the dagger. Consider using the single coil deck on the merlin mini. As the dagger is a single 18650 battery you have to be mindful of battery drain.
2. Because the dagger is 1 battery. Try to use a pre-made coil with a ohm range of 0.5-0.9. That will reduce the drain on the battery as it doesn't take a lot to heat that coil.
Here's a good video showing how to wick the merlin mini. He used regular japanese cotton, which comes in a 5cmx6cm pad.

You can buy cotton and coils through a reputable vape shop or online.

3. If you want to make your own coils, consider good old round wire to start. If you use kanthal wire (good all around wire, and spools of kanthal is very affordable) you can build a 3mm inner diameter coil with 5-6 wraps. It should ohm out at 0.7-0.8.

4. For beginners I recommend usimg cotton pads. With pads you can measure how big a piece of cotton you need. Then adjust the size with trial and error to prevent flooding and dry hits.
Learn the Scottish roll method for preparing your cotton

5. Watch reviews/tutorials on the merlin mini. Learn how to install coils and cotton.

Last edited:

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As mentioned a single coil build would be ideal. I do run a simple duel coil around 0.30 ohms on the dagger. You will need to have extra battery, it seems as long as I keep the watts in the 52ish area I will get a half a day or more out a a battery. As soon as I pick up a better single coil atty I will only run that on my dagger.

Thanks, there is so much information around that it makes one wonder what is applicable. Can someone guide me to a good simple precautions, newbie guide to using RTA and preventing issues. maybe just list some most important precautions ...

eg.
why should i test the ohm if i get a ready coil?
whats correct whats not for my mod (dagger)?
How to prevent short? what can short do?
If i screw up will the mod blow? How bad should i mess up for things to get pear shaped?
etc. etc.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A short is caused by the coil touching the walls, bottom or top of the build chamber.
After installing your coils (check the ohms) and before wicking it; screw the rest of the tank together. Check your ohms again. Make sure it didn't change from the initial install. That's how you make sure it didn't short.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The mod shouldn't blow up on you as it's a regulated mod with a chip regulating the voltage. But it's best to he safe and avoid shorts and any other behavior that can hurt you or the mod/tank.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As far as you mod goes, if your build is too low it wont fire so you are safe. It is a nice single battery mod. I switch between VW and bypass mode. I have used the Auto temp control but I haven't used it enough to make a judgment on how well it works. My RDA are not ideal for auto TC and I don't use tanks often. As far as manual TC it seemed to be decent not great but again I haven't used it often. Play around with it and see what works for you.

I try dual micro coil on single deck no Merlin mini without airflow pin , I twisted coil leg : 28g 1.5mm 8 wrap 20-25watt & 26g 2mm 11 wrap 30-40watt .. not so bad , flavor good and big cloud .. 😊

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Five-year-old thread, resurrected! Please check dates!

(I've done this, too; trying to form a better habit as far as paying attention to the dates on posts.)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Sorry , I Will delete now . 🙏
There is no reason to delete your post now.
it's in a very old thread but it was informative.

I undeleted your post.
it looks much better this way instead of editing the word "Delete" in

Plus if other people like this device they can see your coil preferences.

VU Sponsors