Become a Patron!

(Aussie) Recommendations to Doctors Prescribing Vapes

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

(that also references https://www.racgp.org.au/clinical-r...racgp-guidelines/supporting-smoking-cessation )

TL;DNR is recommended under 18mg unflavoured

Wean/Taper with target to abstinence in 3 months

Combine with behavioural counselling focusing on eliminating 1 ritual like after lunch etc at a time

Be mindful of correlation between Puff Topography and nicotine concentration (lowering mg can just mean chain vaping)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I see your country decided to give the vaping industry to big pharma.
Over in the US the government decided to give vaping to big tobacco.
I think it is strategic since the Master Settlement Agreement is almost up and the states actually somehow lost money when given free money yearly for 25 years straight.
I think they are going to roll vaping up in a MSA 2.0. They have been banging the "what about the children" drum for half a decade now.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@5150sick

Yeah, but they weren't ready

Theoretically, if a pharma company puts a product through the process/ It would then be government subsidised to $42 per repeat (usually a month) or $5.60 for concessional. So company receives full cost, but "patient" pays PBS rate

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
@5150sick

Yeah, but they weren't ready

Theoretically, if a pharma company puts a product through the process/ It would then be government subsidised to $42 per repeat (usually a month) or $5.60 for concessional. So company receives full cost, but "patient" pays PBS rate
am i right in saying doggie that over here there are not many doctors that will give you a scrip.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
am i right in saying doggie that over here there are not many doctors that will give you a scrip.
RACGP advice is to plan for weaning off to abstinence within 3 months anyway.

And if a GP does, it'll mostly be in conjunction with psychosocial support. So referral for quitline or similar to phone you at a set time each day

There are some online and telehealth services that specifically do nic scripts. But the telehealth for smoking cessation medicare item is temporary and private full fees may apply

And you having consulted them for nic will show up in your regular doctors file. So your regular GP might henceforth view you as someone who cheats to get his way

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
:headbang: thankfully i just quit cancer sticks and nico without needing it.

VU Sponsors