Become a Patron!

Avoid getting infections from gear!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup. I try not to overuse anti-bacterial soaps and such. Haven't taken a chemical antibiotic in many years either. I'll chew a clove of garlic first.

I'm not taking real risks, and I do sanitize knives and cutting boards and the like, and rinse out atties from time to time. but I'm not a bubble-boy either and don't want to be one.

DT's, I just use my 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and water that I clean my LCD with, sprayed onto a paper towel. Simple and effective.
Yeah man I am now immune due to the last 15 years of infections to 7 differerent antiobiotics I am now a user of colloidal silver something no big pharmaceutical company will talk about...

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Isopropyl alcohol is deadly poison its best to use Everclear for safety you do not want to ingest any of it
I use everclear and thats all

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I give my attys a bath in a heated ultrasonic cleaner with a couple drops of dish soap once a week. It's amazing what comes out of the attys which look clean to begin with. Any new attys I get are put in a 30 minute bath at 160 degrees at full ultrasonic power. Gets the manufacturing crud and machine oil out of the smallest crevice.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Huh, some people are pretty fickle about clean I guess.

I clean my attties when they are new, with Dawn and hot water. Give em a good rinse. Same with new drip tips.

I rarely clean atties, unless they get contaminated with something. Drip tips, I clean weekly, if I am using it. Otherwise they are sealed in a box when not used.

I wipe my mods down when they look dusty or dirty.

I'm just not too concerned with keeping my gear uber sanitized. Heck, I don't even own a ultrasonic cleaner.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Isopropyl alcohol is deadly poison its best to use Everclear for safety you do not want to ingest any of it

Well, if I could afford Everclear, I'd drink it, not clean atomizers with it. :p

Check the liquor prices ova here in WA: http://liquorwa.appspot.com/

We have around 28% taxes on liquor, plus an additional tax rate for 1Liter and over too. And, our Everclear is crippled to 151 proof.

Wiping down drip tips with a paper towel dampened using 50% ABV Isoproypl Alcohol mixed half and half with water, then dried with a microfiber towel is not going to hurt a thing. It evaporates nearly instantly. Anything left is wiped away.

I suppose ya never used it for first aid either?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, if I could afford Everclear, I'd drink it, not clean atomizers with it. :p

Check the liquor prices ova here in WA: http://liquorwa.appspot.com/

We have around 28% taxes on liquor, plus an additional tax rate for 1Liter and over too. And, our Everclear is crippled to 151 proof.

Wiping down drip tips with a paper towel dampened using 50% ABV Isoproypl Alcohol mixed half and half with water, then dried with a microfiber towel is not going to hurt a thing. It evaporates nearly instantly. Anything left is wiped away.

I suppose ya never used it for first aid either?
Yes I have but I prefer to not use it for vape gear and having Everclear around is also handy for some of my Ejuice recipes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In WW II they used grain alch in torpedoes. The U.S. sailors found this out and drank it. Then the torpedo was useless & U Boats blew them out of the water. I poor a shot of 190 in my wine on occasion.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm probably one of the 'dirty' people in here too. lol
Rarely go to the doctor or dentist, most of the time my hands only get washed when I take a shower in the evening, don't clean my vape gear very often, and, I rarely get sick from 'normal' things (had a hernia, carpel tunnel, root canal, and had to go to the ER for antibiotics due to an infected rat bite). I might get a mild cold once in a while, but it's clear in a few days.

Don't know if anybody has put any thought into it, but what are the temperatures of the coils in our gear and the temperature of the steam?
The simple act of vaping could be disinfecting our gear.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm probably one of the 'dirty' people in here too. lol
Rarely go to the doctor or dentist, most of the time my hands only get washed when I take a shower in the evening, don't clean my vape gear very often, and, I rarely get sick from 'normal' things (had a hernia, carpel tunnel, root canal, and had to go to the ER for antibiotics due to an infected rat bite). I might get a mild cold once in a while, but it's clear in a few days.

Don't know if anybody has put any thought into it, but what are the temperatures of the coils in our gear and the temperature of the steam?
The simple act of vaping could be disinfecting our gear.
WTF!?!
So you are saying you are the human version of PG. A carrier.

This is kind of why I refuckingfuse to touch someone's cell phone without gloves period, when I fixed them.

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Same reason you should wipe down your remotes, controllers, keyboards, etc at least once a week...

I do drip tips every night (just a quick wash and rinse with Dawn in a dish rag) The mods get a wipe down when I do the remotes, etc, as above.. Every day is a bit much though, unless you shared with a sick person, or are immune suppressed.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
not to be the odd person out here, but the overuse of antibacterial agents has hurt us more than helped us. antibiotics and antibacterial handsoap kill not only the nasty bugs (which are a minority of bacteria), but the good guys too. that leaves us more susceptible to disease. i have a friend who is a fanatic with her antibacterial hand sanitizer and she gets sick and has more colds than anyone i know. maybe i'm wrong, but i am convinced people are destroying their own immune systems by destroying so many "good" bacteria.
This is why the Docs have started reducing the amount of antibiotics they give out...Along with what you said, it destroys your gut bacteria and leaves you susceptible to C.diff (not fun, and is for life) and does NOT reduce the amount of time you have the sniffles... At all.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Antibiotics are rough, having a suppressed immune system, I can end up on very strong ones easily. Last year in Sept. I caught a cold. Which quickly went to an ear infection, then sinus infection, then throat infection.... antibiotics 3 different strong ones, for almost 4 months. Lost 32 lbs. Germs are NOT my friend !
Are you sure you had a bacteria infection? A cold is viral... If your ear started hurting that also made pain in your neck, throat, shoulder, armpit, etc, AND took 4 months to go away, chances are it was NOT bacterial, but viral.. Otitis Media

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is why the Docs have started reducing the amount of antibiotics they give out...Along with what you said, it destroys your gut bacteria and leaves you susceptible to C.diff (not fun, and is for life) and does NOT reduce the amount of time you have the sniffles... At all.
Forgot Candida over growth, not bacteria or viral but some shit that fungal and a helluva hard to fight.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i commiserate with your situation, hon. compromised immune systems are tricky. has your doctor ever suggested you take probiotics? since i quit smoking and started taking probiotics, i have not had so much as a sniffle. good luck to you. ♥
You need one with at least 20billion to do any good.. Less is just a waste of money.. The lady-in-the-know at John Hopskins also said to only take when you are on antibiotics, after diarrhea, etc... and, if you do take it just boost, you are better off taking for 2 weeks, then off and repeat after 30 days.

N

Newheart301

Are you sure you had a bacteria infection? A cold is viral... If your ear started hurting that also made pain in your neck, throat, shoulder, armpit, etc, AND took 4 months to go away, chances are it was NOT bacterial, but viral.. Otitis Media
I went in with a cough and sneezing, thought I had a cold. Dr.. said ear infection, ... scrip, I checked my self and asked, to make sure it mixed with my other meds. I can't take most crap because of the meds. Back in two weeks.... this time Dr. says sinus and throat. Script !!More Antibiotic's !. I've had them panic over an EKG, if they've not taken one on a transplanted heart. Looks different. The VA is almost all ways an adventure. lol Best ( easiest ), place for me to get sick..... the VA. My biggest problem is I have a different PC every year, if not every six months. One see the hearing aids, not just for show, and two, most are heavy, on the VA's 16 min. rule.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I went in with a cough and sneezing, thought I had a cold. Dr.. said ear infection, ... scrip, I checked my self and asked, to make sure it mixed with my other meds. I can't take most crap because of the meds. Back in two weeks.... this time Dr. says sinus and throat. Script !!More Antibiotic's !. I've had them panic over an EKG, if they've not taken one on a transplanted heart. Looks different. The VA is almost all ways an adventure. lol Best ( easiest ), place for me to get sick..... the VA. My biggest problem is I have a different PC every year, if not every six months. One see the hearing aids, not just for show, and two, most are heavy, on the VA's 16 min. rule.
I hear ya on the VA... Kinda BS they keep throwing antibiotics at ya.

Kaleidoscope71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Over prescribing antibiotics is very dangerous too. Over time the more common ones become less effective.
I see it all the time (I'm a nurse). The bad thing is that those mutated resistant germs are out there and if you can't shake em naturally the only thing that can fight em is antibiotics on steroids like Vancomycin. Those types of antibiotics are very hard on the kidneys. Anyway, being clean is a good thing to prevent the spread of the "super germs". Being clean is not the same as being sterile! That being said, I am NOT a neat/clean freak! I wipe my gear down daily but pretty much because I've spilled a little juice! I'm careful of where I set my tanks, coils and juice when I'm reloading, probably from habit...when I administer eye drops or remove caps from liquid meds I set them on some type of barrier like a paper towel with the inside of the cap facing up not touching any surface...

Kaleidoscope71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
[QUOTE="Damn it, now folks gonna think I'm strange:([/QUOTE]

Strange can be good...and I'm SURE nobody has noticed yet :rolleyes:

Byter

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup. I try not to overuse anti-bacterial soaps and such. Haven't taken a chemical antibiotic in many years either. I'll chew a clove of garlic first.

I'm not taking real risks, and I do sanitize knives and cutting boards and the like, and rinse out atties from time to time. but I'm not a bubble-boy either and don't want to be one.

DT's, I just use my 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and water that I clean my LCD with, sprayed onto a paper towel. Simple and effective.

Yep, I like that solution. It evaporates quickly. I hit the the DT with a 100% water wipe after to leave no IP residue / taste. Glass wipes (no detergent) / medical wipes work in a pinch too. I always have glass wipes around. The everclear results are great but that stuff cost $20/l here (and 150 proof at that).

OK can I just be dumb here? I had honestly never even considered the possibility until I came across this thread. Do not get me wrong, I kept my vape clear, but I never did it because I was worried about infections or things of that nature. Now I will double my cleaning duties ;)

Easy out, I'm immune-suppressed can't share Anything..stay away from crowds, elevators, kids, babies etc..

15 years out of liver transplant for me. I use alcohol wipes for drip tips. Check out germ-x hand sanitizing wipes for your hands and other nasty things you must touch in public. Immune suppession tip is never touch your face. I do elevators, crowds, and hospitals almost daily and so will you.........eventually! To life :D

N

Newheart301

15 years out of liver transplant for me. I use alcohol wipes for drip tips. Check out germ-x hand sanitizing wipes for your hands and other nasty things you must touch in public. Immune suppession tip is never touch your face. I do elevators, crowds, and hospitals almost daily and so will you.........eventually! To life :D
Yeah, I go through Germ-X like most folks do soap and water. I'm 16 years out, ( heart), and now there talking kidney transplant. Just don't think I want to go through, replacing any more parts.

VU Sponsors