Become a Patron!

Battery Question (Please Help)

I have a question about my Smok Alien (220w). I'm not sure what my limits are on vaping and what would be the maximum wattage I can vape at safely. I have a 0.15 coil with 2 2500 mah 35a (3.7v) "Sigelei" batteries. What would be the maximum wattage I can vape at and be safe?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Sigelei batteries are rewraps and good for around 20-25A and 2100MAH, it is a rewrapped Sony VTC4.

Resistance plays no role in amp load on your batteries with a regulated mod, a safe wattage range would be around 115W for 20A and around 140W for 25A, assuming a 3.1V cutoff per cell and 90% efficiency, so should be plenty for you :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Max wattage is determined by your mod. So 220W is your max. You will likely never NEED your max wattage. Building good coils is better than building big coils.
The batteries you are using, as Conanthewarrior said, are rewraps. Rewraps are factory 2nds, sold in bulk. Factory 2nds have not met the manufacturers standard to wear the manufacturers brand label. Fact is, you don't know what is under the wrapper. Next thing... there is NO SUCH THING as a 35A battery. This means the values on the label are already being misrepresented. In other words.. you are being lied to so a sale can be made. This is why we only recommend Samsung, Sony or LG batteries. Panosonic are ok, but in 4th place. Main thing.. why skimp to save a couple bucks on batteries where your safety is involved or when a failed battery can ruin an expensive mod?

Now as for what is safe.. you are safe at the full 220W. The IC controller handles your amps/volts to watts conversion. Amps are actually only calculated going from the battery to the IC controller. The 2ndary controller actually uses Volt x Volt / resistance = Max Watt output, up to the max limit of your mod. Anyway, that is how it works, but it is all done by the mod, so aside from being OCD there is no real reason to worry about it, aside from having an understanding of how your mod works. This is handy when building larger coils.. IE 10 wraps of 24ga kanthal (dual coil) would raise your resistance, and checking the above formula, it would lower the wattage output.. however... 5 parallel wraps (dual coil) has the same surface area and mass, but only half the resistance. Allowing more wattage off the 2ndary controller to power your coil.

The main thing is that just because your mod can push 220 Watts, doesn't mean you have to use 220 watts. Even my cloud builds are running at 175 or lower. Avg is 90 to 115 watts.

VU Sponsors