Become a Patron!

battery safety question

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so i noticed on my lg 18650s one of them had these black circles that i could see through the wrap. So I Removed the wrap and noticed some areas of the battery that had a black soot like substance on it mostly by the positive contact. nothing else seems wrong with the battery and has been working fine. I scrapped off the substance with my nail and re wrapped them but am worried that maybe it is not safe to use and wanted to ask you guys before i do so to see what you more educated vapers think it is and if it is normal or not. also the white insulator on positive contact had little black stains from the soot.

FTP

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
so i noticed on my lg 18650s one of them had these black circles that i could see through the wrap. So I Removed the wrap and noticed some areas of the battery that had a black soot like substance on it mostly by the positive contact. nothing else seems wrong with the battery and has been working fine. I scrapped off the substance with my nail and re wrapped them but am worried that maybe it is not safe to use and wanted to ask you guys before i do so to see what you more educated vapers think it is and if it is normal or not. also the white insulator on positive contact had little black stains from the soot.
It's condensation, either happened when wrapping battery or just taken from cold place to warmer. I would rewrap it and make sure that white insulator isn't ripped or anything very important to have that on the battery when rewrapping.

LizClark0910

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Went surfing to see what I could find for you as battery safety is a constant concern for me.
Below is the most relevant link I could find.
For me personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry, and batteries are too inexpensive to risk a big (or little) boom. So I'd prob toss.
But, I'm skeeeered like that, and per this link it may not be all that big of a deal as long as it's something that wipes off...
https://m.reddit.com/r/electronic_c...k_marks_on_positive_contact_of_18650_battery/

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Went surfing to see what I could find for you as battery safety is a constant concern for me.
For me personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry, and batteries are too inexpensive to risk a big (or little) boom. So I'd prob toss.
But, I'm skeeeered like that, and per this link it may not be all that big of a deal as long as it's something that wipes off...
https://m.reddit.com/r/electronic_c...k_marks_on_positive_contact_of_18650_battery/

This.
A new battery or wrap is far less painful and cheaper than reconstructive surgery and or a stay in a burn unit.

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This.
A new battery or wrap is far less painful and cheaper than reconstructive surgery and or a stay in a burn unit.
the black soot like stuff did just wipe off and i also already re wrapped them so I should fine right? thanks to everyone for your help in this matter.

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

thanks for the link he had this happen to the same kind of batteries as I did so I should be alright I also only use regulated mods. just was kinda worried after seeing that most recent video of the dudes battery blowing up in his pocket...., not cool

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If in doubt throw it out.. well recycle it correctly.
Incorrect battery disposal does result in expensive actions.
A store manager from sprint threw out all sorts of shit in the shredding bin.. a single battery shredded resulted the total melt down to slag of a 500k+ shredding truck.

LizClark0910

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
thanks for the link he had this happen to the same kind of batteries as I did so I should be alright I also only use regulated mods. just was kinda worried after seeing that most recent video of the dudes battery blowing up in his pocket...., not cool
P.S. Do not EVER carry batteries loose in your pocket, purse, anywhere.
Crap like that is giving us a bad name.
Batteries are $5-$6/piece, wraps cost change, battery cases are $1.
Dude no doubt had change or keys or something metal in his pocket or fire button was pressed due to the way it was sitting in his pocket.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've had that happen to vtc4s they still ran fine. I attribute it to condensation/humidity.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
the black soot like stuff did just wipe off and i also already re wrapped them so I should fine right? thanks to everyone for your help in this matter.
Should be fine...could be fine...but might not be fine...

If you want to risk your health and safety on should be fine, don't go bitching to the media if it wasn't fine

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Should be fine...could be fine...but might not be fine...

If you want to risk your health and safety on should be fine, don't go bitching to the media if it wasn't fine
how about u go fuck yourself.

VU Sponsors