Become a Patron!

Beloved Wismec gen 3 - 300 watt bricked?

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Can someone assist me with resetting my mod to factory? I fear that is my only hope. Please and thank you.
Big Rick

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you have installed ArcticFox firmware on it, then AFAIK using the NFE Tools software is the only way to get the stock firmware from Wismec (firmware binary file downloadable from Wismec official website) back onto it. Also, I believe that replacing the firmware will reset all settings to factory default.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No I did not upgrade operating systems. I have always been torn. I heard the instalation peocess has bricked some mods. Also heard it was a great option that I was looaing out on. But no artic fox. The mod is 4 years old with 251,500+ puffz. Yes I kept oretty good trach.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
is it this one?
No, don't try to install the RX300 mod's firmware on the RX GEN3 mod... Instead, be sure to grab the RX GEN3 firmware:
Once downloaded, unzip the Reuleaux_RX_GEN3_V1.04.zip file (Windows) or Reuleaux_RX_GEN3_V1.04.pkg.zip file (Mac) to a folder, and, next, run the updater program from there. (On a Windows PC, that would be the UpdateWismec.exe file.)

If the program fails to install the firmware file onto the mod (via the USB cable), then try installing this same firmware file by using the NFE Tools program (link below) on a Windows PC. After installing this program on a Windows PC, run it and choose "Firmware Updater" from the bottom of the welcome screen that appears. With the USB cable plugged into the mod and Windows PC, you should be able to navigate to the firmware file Reuleaux_RX_GEN3_V1.04.bin that should be in the same folder I mentioned in my first paragraph, at least if you've picked the Windows version of the firmware on Wismec's webpage for the RX GEN3.

EDIT: Please note, this is for the RX GEN3 mod─not to be confused with the RX300 mod!

Last edited:

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No, don't try to install the RX300 mod's firmware on the RX GEN3 mod... Instead, be sure to grab the RX GEN3 firmware:
Once downloaded, unzip the Reuleaux_RX_GEN3_V1.04.zip file (Windows) or Reuleaux_RX_GEN3_V1.04.pkg.zip file (Mac) to a folder, and, next, run the updater program from there. (On a Windows PC, that would be the UpdateWismec.exe file.)

If the program fails to install the firmware file onto the mod (via the USB cable), then try installing this same firmware file by using the NFE Tools program (link below) on a Windows PC. After installing this program on a Windows PC, run it and choose "Firmware Updater" from the bottom of the welcome screen that appears. With the USB cable plugged into the mod and Windows PC, you should be able to navigate to the firmware file Reuleaux_RX_GEN3_V1.04.bin that should be in the same folder I mentioned in my first paragraph, at least if you've picked the Windows version of the firmware on Wismec's webpage for the RX GEN3.

EDIT: Please note, this is for the RX GEN3 mod─not to be confused with the RX300 mod!
Yes thank you. Sometimes there is a tiny bit of confusion. No problem as I have both. I like Wismec. Only my opinion though. I loved the rx mini. I miss that one. Also a rx200s. Yeah I like em.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It looks like Carmbrda is leading you right here.

Arctic Fox is supposed to work with the Gen 3 now. In a "nothing to lose" scenario, it may be worth a shot too.

However, that thing doesn't owe you at all. :) It may have just given up the ghost once and for all.

Also, I don't see in are what the symptom are. "Bricked", as in totally non responsive to anything?

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Arctic Fox is supposed to work with the Gen 3 now. In a "nothing to lose" scenario, it may be worth a shot too.

However, that thing doesn't owe you at all. :) It may have just given up the ghost once and for all.

Also, I don't see in are what the symptom are. "Bricked, as in totally non responsive to anything?
I have tested Arctic Fox on an RX GEN3 myself several years ago, it worked flawlessly aside from the fact you had to set Smart Mode to 'Off' (on the Advanced tab in the NFE tools). Else, you'd run into this same problem that user Ricardo Jimenez also described in this thread:
After it got stuck in TC mode like that, the only way that I could find to unstuck it was via the NFE Tools. (For some reason I don't know, it seems that 'NFE Tools' is also called 'NToolbox'.)

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It may not be a bad idea for him to see if the NFE tools/box sees the mod at all. I can't remeber which Gen 2 model now, but the only Wismec mod I have has Arctic Fox on it. I have more experience with Eleaf mods and Arctic Fox.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It may not be a bad idea for him to see if the NFE tools/box sees the mod at all. I can't remeber which Gen 2 model now, but the only Wismec mod I have has Arctic Fox on it. I have more experience with Eleaf mods and Arctic Fox.
Exactly. If the USB cable has been tested working, then the Firmware Updater in NFE Tools should be able to see the RX GEN3 mod, and be able to put the stock firmware from Wismec on it in order to perform a factory reset of both the firmware itself and all of its settings, i.e. all the ones that are remembered by the mod. (If you apply changes to the various settings in the NFE Tools, then these changes won't take effect nor will be remembered by the mod until you click on the Upload button that's at the bottom of the settings window in the NFE Tools.)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There is one other thing that might be the culprit. With the RX GEN3, there are very tiny screws on the inside of the battery door next to the hinge. Carefully re-tightening these screws has been known to resolve certain problems with this mod, as these screws ensure proper battery contact in this mod. The screw threads on these screws are rather delicate so don't over-tighten them. Use an undamaged and correct size Phillips-head precision screwdriver that has an inductively hardened carbon steel tip and that lets you feel the tension on it so that you don't jinx it...

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Also, I don't see in are what the symptom are. "Bricked", as in totally non responsive to anything?
Yep "totally non responsive" is the perfect terminology, bricked. I am not complainong it had over 250,000 puffs in 3 years. And those are the puffs I kept track of. I am sure there is more. I just loved it. It was family.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There is one other thing that might be the culprit. With the RX GEN3, there are very tiny screws on the inside of the battery door next to the hinge. Carefully re-tightening these screws has been known to resolve certain problems with this mod, as these screws ensure proper battery contact in this mod. The screw threads on these screws are rather delicate so don't over-tighten them. Use an undamaged and correct size Phillips-head precision screwdriver that has an inductively hardened carbon steel tip and that lets you feel the tension on it so that you don't jinx it...
I will do just that today. I have a set of prescision screwdrivers. That refreshed my memory as I have heard this as well. Thank you.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a real possibility that this one is actually dead too. That's why I was asking about symptoms. A lot of times folks will describe a situation where all hope is not lost. Usually with some twiddling and trickery you can get it in line again.

However, every man made device will irretrievably fail at some point. When I hear a few hundred thousand hits and then if there is NO sign of life whatsoever where not even the computer based utilities will detect it at all. it's probably time for that heartbreaking funeral.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's a real possibility that this one is actually dead too. That's why I was asking about symptoms. A lot of times folks will describe a situation where all hope is not lost. Usually with some twiddling and trickery you can get it in line again.

However, every man made device will irretrievably fail at some point. When I hear a few hundred thousand hits and then if there is NO sign of life whatsoever where not even the computer based utilities will detect it at all. it's probably time for that heartbreaking funeral.
Yes it may be that sad day. Because at this point it is a gonner. Does anyone want a very nice Gen 3 mod shield in black? It fits like a glove and it nice and thick.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes it may be that sad day. Because at this point it is a gonner. Does anyone want a very nice Gen 3 mod shield in black? It fits like a glove and it nice and thick.

Those Mod Shields in black are really nice. I got one for my Topside Dual because it has that "splattered" finish on it and I didn't want it getting banged up. The Mod Shield actually improves the way the mod feels in my hand!

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Those Mod Shields in black are really nice. I got one for my Topside Dual because it has that "splattered" finish on it and I didn't want it getting banged up. The Mod Shield actually improves the way the mod feels in my hand!
It is really nice. Cost like $15 on Amazon. My first mod shield was for Rx Mini. I was so impressed with the quality and look I bought one when I bought the Gen 3. No disappointment. Excellent quality and it improves the look of a scuffed mod, cushions against falls, improved grip etc. Seriously any obe want it?

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
New developments. The batteries are toast. One will not register in my charger at all and the other 2 read 100% charged at 2 volts and under. Did the batteries kill the mod? Or did the mod kill the batteries? I guess it doesn't really matter. Can anyone tell me how I can test these batteries with a multimeter?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
New developments. The batteries are toast. One will not register in my charger at all and the other 2 read 100% charged at 2 volts and under. Did the batteries kill the mod? Or did the mod kill the batteries? I guess it doesn't really matter. Can anyone tell me how I can test these batteries with a multimeter?
Most of the affordable/cheap multimeters are 0.02V-0.03V off, but still accurate enough to get a rough idea of the volts. Measuring the DC internal resistance of a battery can't be done without using special (lab) equipment so if you see a battery charger that is priced similar to most, then if they tell you that it can read the DC IR of your batteries, no, it certainly can not. What you can do with a lot of the chargers we use is get an idea of how many percent of the original capacity has been lost as a result from batteries aging over time, as you can measure their capacity when they are still new & unused, and compare these numbers simply by measuring them again at a later date. Up to a 20% loss in capacity can be considered to be acceptable for safety, but it's not set in stone, you can go over 20%, but it can't hurt to replace a battery sooner, just as an extra precaution─and especially if you're pushing the battery rather hard.

Another thing is, if you let a fully charged (to 4.2V) battery sit, i.e. just letting it rest without using it, then the volts should gradually diminish by not more than just a few hundredths of a volt over the course of a single day. (It is perfectly normal the fact that the volts gradually diminish very slowly as a result from the battery self discharching whilst the battery is not being used.) But there also are other important factors, like, for example, don't use a battery if you can't be sure that it has never been short circuited or overdischarged or significantly overcharged, don't use it if it's dented or when something is rattling on the inside of the battery (it's pretty rare I guess, but I've once witnessed rattling inside a genuine battery from one of the major battery manufacturers, so you definitely need to check for safety), etc.. If you can't really be sure if a battery has been damaged internally, then don't use it, as it's not worth taking the risk. Essentially, it's the same logic principle as the principle that says that continuing to use a battery with a damaged wrap or top insulting ring is not worth the risk either.

VU Sponsors