Become a Patron!

Benefits of using watt boost setting?

Chum

Member For 5 Years
My mod (Lost Vape Centaurus) has a boost setting which is adjustable. If I set my mod to 60 Watts with boost turned on and maxed out it ramps up to 90 watts. Is there some benefit using this? A friend at work said it increases coil life. I just do not know. I notice no difference in the hit. I usually run it at 90 Watts without the boost.

Last edited:

Chum

Member For 5 Years
I'm interested in the answer to your question! 🤣
I too am interested. There are a "poop-load" of settings on DNA Mods that may just all be "fluff". Think I will pop on my headphones and listen to some Joni while I wait on a reply.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I keep my DNA profiles with Boost on. I set it at 10, or 9, or 11. Gets me to my desired vapor/heat quicker than it ramping up using wattage setting alone. Not saying DNA fires or ramps slow without it....
Could use a SS coil with replay and it will set everything for you to replicate that last draw you liked so much.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think it has any benefit for coil life. It just provides a split second of extra power to bring a higher mass coil up to temp quicker, or a slower ramping material like Kanthal.
Guessing you've viewed the live data while connected to escribe.
I'm generally around 40 watts so a boost of a few watts helps depending on coil.
If you normally run 90 it would seem less beneficial to me.

Chum

Member For 5 Years
I keep my DNA profiles with Boost on. I set it at 10, or 9, or 11. Gets me to my desired vapor/heat quicker than it ramping up using wattage setting alone. Not saying DNA fires or ramps slow without it....
Could use a SS coil with replay and it will set everything for you to replicate that last draw you liked so much.
Are you saying with boost on it gets to your preferred wattage setting quicker than just leaving it set to that wattage? I guess the main reason I posted this question was I was killing coils using boost. Example: a particular coils max setting is 90 Watts. When I set the wattage to 90 AND have boost on I discovered it would ramp up to 135 watts! YIKES! Should I set the "starting" wattage lower so it only boosts it to what the coils recommended max setting? So confusing!!

Chum

Member For 5 Years
I don't think it has any benefit for coil life. It just provides a split second of extra power to bring a higher mass coil up to temp quicker, or a slower ramping material like Kanthal.
Guessing you've viewed the live data while connected to escribe.
I'm generally around 40 watts so a boost of a few watts helps depending on coil.
If you normally run 90 it would seem less beneficial to me.
Hmm. So it is more beneficial to materials that heat up slower? Maybe that is the answer. Since I do not use temp control type coils it is probably best to just leave boost off.

Last edited:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you saying with boost on it gets to your preferred wattage setting quicker than just leaving it set to that wattage? I guess the main reason I posted this question was I was killing coils using boost. Example: a particular coils max setting is 90 Watts. When I set the wattage to 90 AND have boost on I discovered it would ramp up to 135 watts! YIKES! Should I set the "starting" wattage lower so it only boosts it to what the coils recommended max setting? So confusing!!
Not trying to answer for Vape Fan but IMO hitting a coil with that much extra power would certainly put a hurt on it. Since you mention max setting of 90 watts I assume factory built (?)
Ya, they will toast that much over..

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm. So it is more beneficial to materials that heat up slower? Maybe that is the answer.
That's the purpose of boost for me, slower ramping coils due to either mass or material.
Now if you're using mesh throw it all out the window. All mesh is instant fire and consistent heat. I just set the wattage and forget it.

Chum

Member For 5 Years
That's the purpose of boost for me, slower ramping coils due to either mass or material.
Now if you're using mesh throw it all out the window. All mesh is instant fire and consistent heat. I just set the wattage and forget it.
Thanks! I have been using nothing but mesh coils lately and had no idea they are "instant fire".

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*reads thread and ponders* This commentary might seem unrelated. Me and wife were discussing text editing programs in Linux. One I like using had just upgraded. It was being a pain in the somewhere to get reconfigured back to my preferences.

She was having similar issues with the one she used. We both felt exasperated over this fine mess software developers had put out for use as "new and improved". We ended up talking about cold breakfast cereals then. Often, they too advertise being "new and improved".

Our take away from the discussion was that new isn't always better, or even an improvement. I'll bring this back around to vaping. See all these zany notions the manufactures hurry to release for sale. If text editors and cold cereals teach anything, well, new may not be better or improved in vaping either.

Understand I'm not saying anyone should stick with old worn out junk. Not saying there cannot be improvement/s. Saying that there's a view that merits consideration, even if only for a second.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Same here.

Don't want to run any stock coil at or near its max rating. That's what burns them out quickly. Leave some head room. So unless there's a coil rated for 110-120W to run at 90, then......

rebuildable :devil:

Chum

Member For 5 Years
Same here.

Don't want to run any stock coil at or near its max rating. That's what burns them out quickly. Leave some head room. So unless there's a coil rated for 110-120W to run at 90, then......
:devil:
Coil is suggested 80 to 110W...I usually set to around the middle of the suggested range. I just do not have any desire to rebuild. I have been getting great flavor with the Freemax mesh coils. (The Dual is 60 to 90 Watss and the Triple is 80 to 110 Watts)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
OK. I still think 90W is what makes it short lived. Since 80-100 is its max or upper range, thats full throttle. Under the 80 the coil would last longer. You might just need to buy coils more often, or more of them.

I get you just want to screw or push a new coil in when it's time, that is easier. But we're talking about 2 easy's. Keeping the flavor from the stock coil isn't a n argument reason to use stock coils...sorry :)

Last edited:

Chum

Member For 5 Years
OK. I still think 90W is what makes it short lived. Since 80-100 is its max or upper range, thats full throttle. Under the 80 the coil would last longer. You might just need to buy coils more often, or more of them.

I get you just want to screw or push a new coil in when it's time, that is easier. But we're talking about 2 easy's. Keeping the flavor from the stock coil isn't a n argument reason to use stock coils...sorry :)
Now that I have the boost turned off I will see if it is "short lived" and post back. But my new question is "Why are you sorry?"

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Not really :devil:
Just being kind

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have not used "high"or "boost" settings (in fact I tend to use lower than recommended wattage for coils)
For example: Vaporesso NRG tank with GT4 coils (dual mesh) rated for 50 watts + (but I love them at 45 watts) Maybe it's because they are mesh "coils". Not much to contribute (because of lack of even trying setting like this) but have no interest myself... keep it simple I say. I don't care if "ramp up" time is a bit slow (am I in that much of a hurry?) Might be useful for RDAs or RTAs with high mass coils but can't really comment on that either. Basically, this post is not helpful but just sayin... no interest in "boost" myself.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius , Meditations
“Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Well, fairly most of these I find a bit of solace in. Marcus Aurelius could speak quite well. Vaping is subjective. There is no singular one absolute correct way to vape. Each of us individually will find a means to vape which suits ourselves and seems correct for ourselves.

Guess what? That is perfectly fine and acceptable. No one needs any authoritative permission/s from any other to do what suits ourselves regarding vaping. TL;DR Version and quoting my mother's wisdom, "live and let live". It really isn't that difficult a concept to comprehend.

Last edited:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you were responding to my post I don't blame you (I wasn't much help)
I responded with "Glad to know" then MMM reminded me not to be an ass so I edited my content to unconstructive. Not editing to hide.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I responded with "Glad to know" then MMM reminded me not to be an ass so I edited my content to unconstructive. Not editing to hide.
That was not my exact intention, though okay. :) My post was more of a generalized shotgun post for everyone, self included. Often I get fussy at pod this, boro that, regulated what. Need to recall my own council of this post. Even the best of us it seems are far from saints.

Last edited:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
My mod (Lost Vape Centaurus) has a boost setting which is adjustable. If I set my mod to 60 Watts with boost turned on and maxed out it ramps up to 90 watts. Is there some benefit using this? A friend at work said it increases coil life. I just do not know. I notice no difference in the hit. I usually run it at 90 Watts without the boost.
all you are doing is basically hitting the turbo to get a fast kickback. as in most things in life, it is usually better so let in heat up slower to get the best effect, hmm as in cooking steak, letting a wine settle and...i will keep the last one lol. if it is set to a max then does it matter if it gets there slightly faster?

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
if it is set to a max then does it matter if it gets there slightly faster?
Boost (aka Turbo, Max, Hard, ...) is supposed to give one an extra burst of flavor at the start of a puff. Whether it does or not probably depends on a few different factors. I use it a lot and it makes a difference to my taste buds with both drop-in coils and builds, especially with fruity flavors. Maybe not for someone else. Never tried it with a mesh build. You want to be sure the boosting doesn't bring the wattage above what a drop-in is rated to handle but, otherwise, it's a simple thing.

VU Sponsors