Become a Patron!

Best coils for flavor

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was curious as the best coils for flavor. I could not find a post on what kind of coil would be good for lower wattages. I make my own coils except for Clapton's. What kind of coil for around 20 to 25 watts. I should mention that I like cooler vapes. Hot vapes isn't for me which is why I like lower watts. Thanks for the input.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I was curious as the best coils for flavor. I could not find a post on what kind of coil would be good for lower wattages. I make my own coils except for Clapton's. What kind of coil for around 20 to 25 watts. I should mention that I like cooler vapes. Hot vapes isn't for me which is why I like lower watts. Thanks for the input.
Play with http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp. Check out the "How it works". You could try twisted wire.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well if you didn't like twisted wire... Then you will hate claptons.. They spit more. They give more flavor also. They work best at higher wattages. In both cases the trick is getting the right combination of wires to minimize the bad parts of multi wire coils while maximizing vaporization

What you gotta find for flavor is the coil that gives you the surface area to vaporize the most juice possible at the power and heat levels you desire. Bumpy coils or builds ie lots of wraps parallel builds, twisted wire, clapton wire, alien wire, tiger wire ect have the most surface area.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't really say what build will be the best for you. Allot depends on your taste buds and vaping preferences along with the equipment you use to vape it. I would build completely different for my Mechanical mods and for my regulated mod. The atty will have affect on the build also. I like to vape at about 15 watts or so with a draw that is too loose to be MTL and too tight to be called DL. Builds are mostly .9-1.2 ohm on my mechs. But it can be any ohm between .1ohm and 3.5ohm on my Pico mod. I will say so far at 25 watts or less I can't see any need for wire heavier than 28awg. I've gotten the best flavor from twisted 32awg builds in either kanthal or nichrome with my Mechs. Understand I vaped my first NON Kanthal or nichrome coil a couple weeks ago.
Have try'd a few different material coils on the Pico. But, they were factory coil for the melo tank and most were like .5ohm or lower and wanted more watts than i like. Got a spool of 28awg SS, thinking I should have gotten something smaller. But I have only done few single wire builds so fay in Kayfuns. Current Build has OK flavor. .8ohms 28awg SS316L runnning at 15watts and 410 degrees.

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I prefer 26 gauge in my builds. It will heat up nice at 25 watts. The only other wire I used besides Kanthal is nickel. I wasn't a huge fan but my mod will only fire down to .2 ohms in temperature control. I'm exactly the same way as you as the draw is not mtl and not lung hits. The best flavor I've gotten though is a single coil 1 ohm on a patriot RDA. I'm getting some SS wire soon. I seen some Clapton's that were 28/36 and that shouldn't take many watts to fire. I will give my impression of the flavor and wattage.

jmcostales

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Just built a 24 gauge Kanthal with 6 loops on a 3mm guide with my Serpent Mini, and the flavor is just absolutely amazing! Mind you, I was just vaping it in 25 watts max @ .29 ohms. The vapor sort of ramps up slowly, and clouds are decent. Vapor is not that warm, and the flavor is all there. Not sure though if this would apply to dual coil builds, but worth a try. I've tried fruit & pastry flavors, and RY4 as well. They all tasted great.

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Any coil in parallel configuration..reg. parallel, fused Clapton, alien...If you wanna use something like Clapton your outer wrap should be high gage wire (38-40G) or ramp up time will be slow. At such a low wattage I would probably try 26-28 G for core.

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just built a 24 gauge Kanthal with 6 loops on a 3mm guide with my Serpent Mini, and the flavor is just absolutely amazing! Mind you, I was just vaping it in 25 watts max @ .29 ohms. The vapor sort of ramps up slowly, and clouds are decent. Vapor is not that warm, and the flavor is all there. Not sure though if this would apply to dual coil builds, but worth a try. I've tried fruit & pastry flavors, and RY4 as well. They all tasted great.
Any coil in parallel configuration..reg. parallel, fused Clapton, alien...If you wanna use something like Clapton your outer wrap should be high gage wire (38-40G) or ramp up time will be slow. At such a low wattage I would probably try 26-28 G for core.
I just ordered some fused but they are 28/32

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
24 I just ordered some fused but they are 28/32
32 is very thick for a wrap. If they fire up too slow you can try to get away with it by jacking up the wattage. Most of the commercial Clapton wire has too thick Clapton wrap. Spinning claptons and fused claptons is very easy to do. If you can't do it I would suggest Crazychef, he can make perfect coils based upon your needs. If you are broke I can send you few shots of different gauge Clapton/fused Clapton wire for free so you can try to figure out what do you like.

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Claptons will give you better flavor then plains (the more complex the better) but not at 20-25W, you'll have to go higher much higher then that for them to reach their potential.

For low wattage I would prefer twisted over plains.

The wattage has to match the coil and higher mass coils require higher wattage.

You can get a hot vape at 25W with one setup and a cool vape at 60W with another, it depends on the atty, airflow and coil used.

Last edited:

disley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
We all have our favorite wire and builds.
Mine is twisted 28g Ti, seven wraps on a 3mm dia rod.

Weirdvapenj

Member For 4 Years
Do you have a single coil option also r you using a RDA or RTA? I found 28 or 30 gage parallels to have great flavor but it also depend of what type of atty your using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Rick James braided Kanthal into the Tony Orlando & Dawn Ribbon Nichrome coil :giggle:

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you have a single coil option also r you using a RDA or RTA? I found 28 or 30 gage parallels to have great flavor but it also depend of what type of atty your using

I use both rba and RDA. Usually use a goblin mini and a Sapor. I normally use dual coil. I just ordered some clothes. It was just a general question.

Weirdvapenj

Member For 4 Years
Try the parallel in the Sapor and micro Claptons no spit back but got to up the watts to 45 w the tug boat or clone steam boat only $16 is great cool Vape low watts and single coils yummy

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try the parallel in the Sapor and micro Claptons no spit back but got to up the watts to 45 w the tug boat or clone steam boat only $16 is great cool Vape low watts and single coils yummy

I'll try the parallel on the Sapor. My thing is at higher watts the flavor goes away even in parallel. I do t know why that happens.

Weirdvapenj

Member For 4 Years
What type of juice r u using what's the PG VG I find the most intense flavor at 50 watts 20PG 80VG

Weirdvapenj

Member For 4 Years
You can also try nano coils 32 gage wire on 20 gage needle 8 to ten wraps should give u a coil close to 3.0 Vape that at 16 watts

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What type of juice r u using what's the PG VG I find the most intense flavor at 50 watts 20PG 80VG

I find more wattage does increase. Flavor quantity... big coil big watts big flavor..
Problem is that big flavor rarely results in better flavor..

I get the feeling the OP IS after quality of flavor before quantity. That want to build for better flavor without having to do major change to how they vape.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find more wattage does increase. Flavor quantity... big coil big watts big flavor..
Problem is that big flavor rarely results in better flavor..

I get the feeling the OP IS after quality of flavor before quantity. That want to build for better flavor without having to do major change to how they vape.

If more power does not equal better flavor or more flavorful why even go up to higher wattage. I've noticed the flavor starts to go away even at 40 watts. I'd change the way I'd vape if the flavor is just as good or better in higher watts than it is in lower watts.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If more power does not equal better flavor or more flavorful why even go up to higher wattage. I've noticed the flavor starts to go away even at 40 watts. I'd change the way I'd vape if the flavor is just as good or better in higher watts than it is in lower watts.

Why high power? Big clouds and BIG flavor. Also, The vape industry right now is catering to the I want more crowd. Not the I want a better vape or the quitting smoker. Yes, you can get good even great flavor at higher power levels. Higher power results in more juice being converted to vapor at each push of the button. I would hope you are also getting MORE flavor than someone using 1/2 or less the wattage. Me, I relate flavor chasing to wine/beer tasting. I don't do the wine/beer tasting with a stein and beer-bong, why do the like when vaping. I replaced cigarettes, cigars and pipes with vaping, I aim to duplicate that activity. Gave up the more Direct Lung types of smoking over 30 years ago, in High School. Just took me another 30 years more to switch the other forms of smoking to vapor.

I mostly vape at 15 watts or less. Reasons

1. Battery life- I only want to change the battery 1 time per day.
2. Juice consumption, want it at 10ml/pd or less.
3. So far I get better flavor at less than 25 watts. Current build is 2x28 twisted SS coil at .4ohm in a Kayfun. Running in TC mode at 16 watts set to 380f but it's running at around 350f. In VW mode I run it at 15. When I crank it up I do get more flavor. But at 16 watts I get more details of the flavor.
4. I prefer a tightish draw, Free enough to DL, but more to the MTL side. I get far fewer burnt wicks if I keep the builds at 20watts or less.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was flavor chasing with the smaller chamber more restrictive RDAs (like the derringer for example) at medium wattage, but since then I've learned that you can get wonderful flavor and more intense vape from big RDAs and big coils at higher wattage.
The bigger vapor is just extra, it's not what this is about, it's not exactly the same kind of flavor but it's good in other ways.
More of less = less of more.
If you want to save on juice then lower wattage and small builds is the way for you, but otherwise you should at least try it to see what yr missing.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't limit yourself to one atty or style of vaping... find that atty and build that satisfies the habits. Then get other gear for playing with builds making clouds and ultimate flavor.

Kinda like the cig smoker who enjoys the occasional pipe or cigar....

Last edited:

SquareofPrimes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Bumpy wire - spaced coils make the best flavor...
I could not figure out why the new build I had made just didn't produce much flavor. I slightly spaced out the coils and the flavor went from a C to an A- with this particular RTA (Cleito deck). Thanks Honda!

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
fused claptons.
also, i find if i get spitback i need more power, in my case its changing cells to remedy the situation. in your case it might be turning up the wattage.
i too got spitback from twisted wire, i dont know why, but it turned me away from making them. only get spitback from claptons if battery is getting low, as mentioned earlier.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
fused claptons.
also, i find if i get spitback i need more power, in my case its changing cells to remedy the situation. in your case it might be turning up the wattage.
i too got spitback from twisted wire, i dont know why, but it turned me away from making them. only get spitback from claptons if battery is getting low, as mentioned earlier.

I used some twisted 26 gauge and bumped the watts up to 70 watts and it doesn't slotback the much. I think when I tried it I was using twisted 30 gauge and I think that caused a lot of spitback also. For fused Clapton's I was watching how to build them and the question I have is I don't like real hot vapes, which would produce less heat thick or thinner wire or is it dependent on the size of the Atty.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
fused claptons.

Claptons are just uber twisted wires coils.. So the fix for spitting with them is the same as with basic twisted coil. Turn up the voltage (wattage) you get less spitting.

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
So far my best flavor has come from Tidal Wire coils....I can't explain it as I do not build myself and understand it all. I just know I get amazing flavor from them. They are .26g twisted wire wrapped with .5mm ribbon wire. I have them made.

Mr.GCs

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why high power? Big clouds and BIG flavor. Also, The vape industry right now is catering to the I want more crowd. Not the I want a better vape or the quitting smoker. Yes, you can get good even great flavor at higher power levels. Higher power results in more juice being converted to vapor at each push of the button. I would hope you are also getting MORE flavor than someone using 1/2 or less the wattage. Me, I relate flavor chasing to wine/beer tasting. I don't do the wine/beer tasting with a stein and beer-bong, why do the like when vaping. I replaced cigarettes, cigars and pipes with vaping, I aim to duplicate that activity. Gave up the more Direct Lung types of smoking over 30 years ago, in High School. Just took me another 30 years more to switch the other forms of smoking to vapor.

I mostly vape at 15 watts or less. Reasons

1. Battery life- I only want to change the battery 1 time per day.
2. Juice consumption, want it at 10ml/pd or less.
3. So far I get better flavor at less than 25 watts. Current build is 2x28 twisted SS coil at .4ohm in a Kayfun. Running in TC mode at 16 watts set to 380f but it's running at around 350f. In VW mode I run it at 15. When I crank it up I do get more flavor. But at 16 watts I get more details of the flavor.
4. I prefer a tightish draw, Free enough to DL, but more to the MTL side. I get far fewer burnt wicks if I keep the builds at 20watts or less.
I am doing the same thing after 40+ years of smoking.
As I am just getting into vaping, and the fact that I live in Lima, Peru, which is basically a new market, I'm having to get my MODs and everything from FastTech, in China.

As you commented about the direction the market is taking, it's where the money is. That's why they are catering to them. Myself, I'm finding that I too am a flavor chaser -vs- the cloud thing. I'm also not into burning through juice, as I'm a Disabled VET and don't have the budget to burn.
When I am able to start building my own coils, I might ask you for a bit of advice, if you don't mind. I need to get everything right in the first purchase... wire, cotton, etc.

Mr.GCs

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm just getting into vaping. I have discovered that I too am a flavor chaser instead of the cloud. after 40+ years of smoking, the amount of vapor that I get at 18-20w on my Vapporesso Tariot Mine, using the Estoc Tank Mega, lets me get a good flavor and produces more vapor than ciggs did.
I will be getting into RTA's with Augvape Merlin RTA's, after I'm able to get the equipment to do the coils. With a bunch of wire and all of the Coil Master tools, it'll cost me around $200, not counting the Augvape Merlin RTA's.
I've already got Vapporesso's Tariot Mine and my Vapporesso Revenger is in the mail. So I'll be here, asking questions about coils pretty soon, I hope.

VU Sponsors