Become a Patron!

Best Flavor Concentrates?

Can you tell me what companies have the highest quality flavor concentrates for mixing my own vape juice? I've been pleased with The Flavor Apprentice but I want to expand my suppliers. I don't want to waste my money on concentrates that aren't high quality... so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance... Ron

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Best overall? It really depends on the person really, I use a lot of vendors, but have a love for flavor art and capella. Some people only use one vendor no matter what. The best I can say is buy some flavors you think you'd like and just try some vendors out. I suggest grabbing them from https://bullcityflavors.com the only real way to find what vendors you like best is trial and error, just like everything else with DIY. You can also check out the DIY section to maybe get some general ideas.

Oh and welcome to VU, happy to have ya here.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What I have the most of is FlavourArt. Their fruit flavors changed my mind on vaping fruit flavors. They have really good desserts and creams, too. I also use TFA, Capella, a little FlavorWest and Inawera, as well. Oh, and a couple of Nature's Flavors.

I usually buy from Bull City, they've always, always treated me well.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can you tell me what companies have the highest quality flavor concentrates for mixing my own vape juice? I've been pleased with The Flavor Apprentice but I want to expand my suppliers. I don't want to waste my money on concentrates that aren't high quality... so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance... Ron

Poor quality is what I'd describe for most all the flavorings sold in local stores for making candy, etc.
Those are usually the weakest, and some may even contain "oils" not meant to be vaped.

Quality, to me, would be based mostly on potency, and good flavor.
A few are also concerned about vaping any of the so called bad stuff.

Never had any quality problems with the major brands we typically use around here for vaping.
CAP, INW, FA, FW, TFA, VZ-SC, FE, RF, etc.

However the strength and taste do vary a bit from one brand to another.
INW , FA, VZ-SC, & FE are the strongest, for the most part, (the most concentrated).
CAP & TFA are "middle of the road" in potency.
FW & RF need a bit more to taste proper IMO.
Keep in mind there are a few exceptions and it's just one person's opinion.

Some may hate a certain brand/flavor and others may love it, which is the "subjective" thing.
Just because I hate any brand of Dragon Fruit doesn't mean it's poor quality.
Generally we can only recommend flavors and brands we like and use regularly, (yes favorites).

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm asking about high quality. Not favorite flavors.
How does one go about determining which flavor company is 'high quality'?

To me the quality is about how the flavor tastes, etc.

I am unable to do scientific spectroscopic analysis and such.

I mainly use Capella and FA, but use Flavor West and others as well. It all depends on which one has the flavor I am looking for that I like the best.

FA does tout their high quality but who knows...
I just like what tastes best to me.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Poor quality is what I'd describe for most all the flavorings sold in local stores for making candy, etc.
Those are usually the weakest, and some may even contain "oils" not meant to be vaped.

Never had any quality problems with the major brands we typically use around here for vaping.

INW , FA, VZ-SC, & FE are the strongest, for the most part, (the most concentrated).

Some may hate a certain brand/flavor and others may love it, which is the "subjective" thing.
Generally we can only recommend flavors and brands we like and use regularly, (yes favorites).
Explained beautifully :inlove:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This an impossible question. No company dominates every flavor category. You can ask about specific flavors. Even then you will only get opinions.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

All of this....perfectly explained.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Each company's flavours vary in flavour profile and potency. I would advise that you don't lock yourself down to 1 company though. I use Inawera, Capella, The Flavour Apprentice. There are good and not so good in all of their flavours, some taste better than others, some work great in tandem (2 different strawberries for example, Inawera and Capella) Half of my mixes require 2 different companies for full blown flavour. It would probably be worth starting with a recipe you want to try and investing in different companies flavours, mixing and trying each version to see what you like or don't like. Its a long road but can lead to some beautiful mixes. Good luck finding your favourites :

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Each company's flavours vary in flavour profile and potency. I would advise that you don't lock yourself down to 1 company though. I use Inawera, Capella, The Flavour Apprentice. There are good and not so good in all of their flavours, some taste better than others, some work great in tandem (2 different strawberries for example, Inawera and Capella) Half of my mixes require 2 different companies for full blown flavour. It would probably be worth starting with a recipe you want to try and investing in different companies flavours, mixing and trying each version to see what you like or don't like. Its a long road but can lead to some beautiful mixes. Good luck finding your favourites :

Yep I mix FA Strawberry and CAP Sweet Strawberry.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Only ever used a couple of flavour art juices and I weren't that into them. That was at the beginning of my diy juice journey though so may have to revisit them and see if it was just my mixing that made them shit lol

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only ever used a couple of flavour art juices and I weren't that into them. That was at the beginning of my diy juice journey though so may have to revisit them and see if it was just my mixing that made them shit lol

As you say all brands have some duds and tastes vary.
For me most all the Inawera and TFA flavors I have tried taste overly chemical to me.
I am glad that everyone is not like me though and wish I did not have that taste issue.
the only TFA I can use is the Brown sugar extract.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've heard a few people say there's a chemical taste to Inawera but I can't say I've come across it myself. Then again I only tend to use the Inawera as a booster for some flavours now, there's 1 or 2 mixes that are completely Inawera and there are a couple that don't use them at all. I may just have been using the flavour art juices too liberally or they may even taste better to my palate mixed with other companies juices. I do hear good things about them so might just do what I advised and buy a set of flavours for one of my favourite juices and go from there. Can easily get bogged down in what you're used to when roaming this road :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Strange thing is with Inawera Shisha Strawberry which several that I know rave about...
Well I just get a bare hint of strawberry with it then if I up it much it just turns horribly chemical to me.
Gave it a full test out at several concentrations starting at 1% working to 10%...
Other strawberries work though. A different artificial strawberry flavoring is used I expect.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought it was gonna be lovely myself but it didn't turn out as expected. I use she shisha Strawberry at 2% to boost the Capella sweet Strawberry. Seems to work for me like but I know what ya mean about it seeming weak on the palate, got 2 mixes that usesl those 2 concentrates, on one (fruity one) the flavour really slaps you in the face, on the other (dessert one) its seems more like an aftertaste. Both use the exact same concentrations though so I don't know why one is the bomb and the other is just alright

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought it was gonna be lovely myself but it didn't turn out as expected. I use she shisha Strawberry at 2% to boost the Capella sweet Strawberry. Seems to work for me like but I know what ya mean about it seeming weak on the palate, got 2 mixes that usesl those 2 concentrates, on one (fruity one) the flavour really slaps you in the face, on the other (dessert one) its seems more like an aftertaste. Both use the exact same concentrations though so I don't know why one is the bomb and the other is just alright

Strawberry seems to mute out a lot with custards and bakery flavors.
some mixing of the chemicals used I expect.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That would explain it then haha. I think I may have to try a lower concentration of the creams and vanilla ice cream and see how that pans out. It could be to do with how the creams and such steep as well as I remember it being more fruity when first mixed

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
imho
when it comes to fruit - FA
tfa and cap fruit flavors i have tried taste like dollar store reject clearance bin hard candy.

RF is also good imho but not everyone agrees, the fruits I have tried from them are better than cap and tfa but they still are candyish. like the watermelon tastes like watermelon laffy taffy to me

Ive used some OSDIYS flavors and they were OK

I am also a fan of DIYFS only used one flavor from them rootbeer but its the best one I have tried.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That would explain it then haha. I think I may have to try a lower concentration of the creams and vanilla ice cream and see how that pans out. It could be to do with how the creams and such steep as well as I remember it being more fruity when first mixed

Yeah the strawberry fade is why I mix 50% FA Strawberry and 50% CAP Sweet Strawberry it seems to cut down on the fade. Just use this strawberry at the percentages you would normally use a standalone strawberry.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm currently out of sweet Strawberry so next next purchase I'll give FA strawberry a try and let you know how I get on. Be ordering some time in the next 24 hours so hopefully be mixed up and vaping by the end of the week :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm currently out of sweet Strawberry so next next purchase I'll give FA strawberry a try and let you know how I get on. Be ordering some time in the next 24 hours so hopefully be mixed up and vaping by the end of the week :)

Not really wild about FA strawberry by itself, ok but much better mixed with CAP Sweet Strawberry.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I tried summer fruits, forest fruits and a couple of other fruity ones. My mates were into the mixes, I just thought they smelt off. Again that was early on like so with the extra knowledge I have now I might get better results mixing with other flavours.

This isn't an impossible question to answer. Maybe I wasn't making my self clear with the way I worded my question. If a company uses cheap ingredients and/or puts very little to no research into their products, they will produce a inferior product.

Let me give you an example. Nude Nicotine has the highest quality concentrate tobacco flavor in my opinion. After speaking to them on many occasions about their production processes and ingredients, and after comparing their product to other products out there, they have the highest quality and their product shows that. That is why I asked if anyone has done any research on other companies and their concentrate products.

I make vape juice for my wife and she deserves only the best. I am only interested in concentrate flavors as well.

Last edited:

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
All flavors used in DIY are concentrated, some just more than others. All are high quality, besides maybe the few VG and pure alcohol based flavors and maybe the pretty diluted ones, but really the only things that separate a TFA flavor from a cap or INW flavor or whatever from each other, are taste and strength. IMO there is no highest quality vendor, there are only flavors that are better than others.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All flavors used in DIY are concentrated, some just more than others. All are high quality, besides maybe the few VG and pure alcohol based flavors and maybe the pretty diluted ones, but really the only things that separate a TFA flavor from a cap or INW flavor or whatever from each other, are taste and strength. IMO there is no highest quality flavor, there are only flavors that are better than others.
Yep it is not like a flavor company will give out it's secret ingredients, source of ingredients, etc to us.
All commercial US flavor company's have to meet general food safety handling requirements in their manufacturing facilities.
Flavorings we use are made for food/beverages and not for vaping.
There are NO flavorings sold that are officially recognized in the USA as safe for vaping.
The GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) labelling is for eating and drinking only not for inhaling.
I think the only major flavoring company that makes ejuice is Flavour Art based in Italy I think.

In the USA if a flavoring company intentionally sells or advertises their flavoring for ejuice they become a tobacco manufacturer and it becomes a tobacco product under FDA regs.

with all that said I have been 100% DIY for over 2.5 years.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Yep it is not like a flavor company will give out it's secret ingredients, source of ingredients, etc to us.
All commercial US flavor company's have to meet general food safety handling requirements in their manufacturing facilities.
Flavorings we use are made for food/beverages and not for vaping.
There are NO flavorings sold that are officially recognized in the USA as safe for vaping.
The GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) labelling is for eating and drinking only not for inhaling.
I think the only major flavoring company that makes ejuice is Flavour Art based in Italy I think.

In the USA if a flavoring company intentionally sells or advertises their flavoring for ejuice they become a tobacco manufacturer and it becomes a tobacco product under FDA regs.

with all that said I have been 100% DIY for over 2.5 years.

Yep FA and ECX are the only ones made for vaping that I know of, besides maybe some german flavors, can't be certain though.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep FA and ECX are the only ones made for vaping that I know of, besides maybe some german flavors, can't be certain though.
But NONE are recognized in the USA as permissible to be used for inhalation.
And if ANY brand is selling their flavorings in the USA advertised by the manufacturer for vaping then they COULD get shut down by the FDA.
And or have to go thru the PMTA process for each flavor.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This isn't an impossible question to answer. Maybe I wasn't making my self clear with the way I worded my question. If a company uses cheap ingredients and/or puts very little to no research into their products, they will produce a inferior product.

Let me give you an example. Nude Nicotine has the highest quality concentrate tobacco flavor in my opinion. After speaking to them on many occasions about their production processes and ingredients, and after comparing their product to other products out there, they have the highest quality and their product shows that. That is why I asked if anyone has done any research on other companies and their concentrate products.

I make vape juice for my wife and she deserves only the best. I am only interested in concentrate flavors as well.
You have an interesting perspective. Most of us here define "quality", by how versatile a flavor is or how it tastes. None of the flavor companies has high quality flavors across the board (by our definition).

You might want to check out Flavorah. They make some of the most concentrated flavors. They are expensive though. I think the owner posts here or used to post here. So he's accessible. Hopefully you can discuss their processes and determine if their quality is of high value to you.

VU Sponsors