Become a Patron!

Black chunky buildup?

Hello, this is my first post here and hoping to get a little help with something that's disturbed me on my new sub-ohm vape setup.

I have a Wismec Ravage230 and Gnome King atomizer, a 0.4 ohm coil (WM01) , and 3.6v hohm work 18650 batteries. I have the mod box set up for 50w.

The problem is that I got a buildup of black chunks on the mouthpiece and all throughout the atomizer. I took some pictures and posted them up to see more of what I'm talking about: https://imgur.com/a/LlqtgVQ. From what I've read, it's a buildup of essentially burnt sugar. It freaks me out to think that's going in my lungs.

That was a buildup after just a few weeks of what I assume is decently medium to heavy usage. I'm an ex-smoker and i guess i chain vape somewhat frequently on this thing. Maybe that's a problem, since some places ive read up on say its not good to chain vape.

Is this common, or as bad as i think it is?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hello, this is my first post here and hoping to get a little help with something that's disturbed me on my new sub-ohm vape setup.

I have a Wismec Ravage230 and Gnome King atomizer, a 0.4 ohm coil (WM01) , and 3.6v hohm work 18650 batteries. I have the mod box set up for 50w.

The problem is that I got a buildup of black chunks on the mouthpiece and all throughout the atomizer. I took some pictures and posted them up to see more of what I'm talking about: https://imgur.com/a/LlqtgVQ. From what I've read, it's a buildup of essentially burnt sugar. It freaks me out to think that's going in my lungs.

That was a buildup after just a few weeks of what I assume is decently medium to heavy usage. I'm an ex-smoker and i guess i chain vape somewhat frequently on this thing. Maybe that's a problem, since some places ive read up on say its not good to chain vape.

It is common and will make your vape taste terrible after awhile

Most of us dry burn and rewick to keep that at bay - I do mine weekly, whether they look bad or not

It is common and will make your vape taste terrible after awhile

Most of us dry burn and rewick to keep that at bay - I do mine weekly, whether they look bad or not

Thanks for the reply! I used my brother's same setup (maybe different battery manufacturer) and it didn't have the same buildup, or maybe just way slower

I just put some more time in understanding the different modes of this mod, and I had it on TCR mode. The wm01 coil it comes with is kanthal, which apparently i should be using power mode. Think that may have had something to do with how quickly that build up was?

Edit: different battery manufacturer - same rig.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The biggest thing I have found that helps avoid build up is to not let it ever get low on juice - in other words, don't vape it down to nothing

Dry burn it when there is build up and clean it up

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Probably need to change coils more often or change the sweetener heavy juices.

Most drop in coils are not the type to last weeks, but rather a better metric is last by ml vaped.

Example:

I vape my mechs at 125w, I change said cotton about every 60ml..

I vape my mouth to lung RTAs at 14w I change the cotton every 60ml

Difference between the two is the wattage and interval, the 125w is every other day, the MTL can take 10 days.

That residue is some nasty stuff.

I get using drop in coils, it’s easy, fast. Especially new to vaping.

I suggest drop a new coil in, vape it as normal, and every refill inspect for that residue... keep refilling keeping count of said refills, and once you notice said gunk there would be your change point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Couple things at play here, as others have stated.

-Your juice has a lot of sweetener in it or it uses dark colored flavorings. I used to love this coffee flavor back in the day, but it would literally trash a coil head in an hour. Changing your juice may help.

-Most coil heads need to be changed every 1-2 weeks (or after so many mls of juice like @~Don~ said) . There are exceptions but if you're using one of this big boy subohm tanks at high wattage they don't usually last longer than that.

Vaporesso makes tanks that take what they call an EUC coil. The ceramic wicked ones have a reputation for last for a REALLY long time. That may be a good solution for you too.

Sent from the Death Star

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
New to vaping? first set-up?
That looks like it didn't taste like it should, some time ago, and for a few weeks use it's not outside the normal happenings - esp for sweeter juices. But 50W with some chain vaping for a few weeks on the same coil and any juice would do that.
I vape sweet juice, because I like it. So, I just deal with whatever that brings. Which is the coil and wick will dirty faster and won't last quite as long. And for a coil head, not much you can do besides vape it and toss it and it will last as long as it lasts - for you.
As I'm sure you know, TCR has to do with power delivery so that wouldn't be the cause of the gunk.
Chain vaping keeps the heat built up - promotes gunk.

If you have to chain to get satisfaction, perhaps you should try changing the nic content?
I take it you've tried the WMO2 that came with, and you like the .4 better? Tried WMO3?
If you vape your brother's same setup, using the same coil, same juice, and same period of time, the same thing would happen.
A quick search for compatible coils didn't produce anything.

About all you can do is remove the coil and clean everything else. You could take a look after a few days,
but clean at least 1nce a week. And replace the coil sooner than a few weeks, how soon is different for different ppl.

You could always customize your vape to you, lower your cost of coils to next to nothing, and have coils that clean, by using an RTA (or RDA).
It's quite a bit easier than it may seem.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This will eventually solve all of your problems.
Well, this and a bag of cotton.

upload_2020-4-11_23-10-43.png

Since your tank has the RBA (Rebuildable Atomizer) coil head option it's a huge money saver once you get the hang of it.

Most come with coils and cotton in the package.
Some even already have a set of coils in place.

Once you get the coils in place you only need to change the cotton every week or so.
The coils can last months.
Many months even.

VU Sponsors