Become a Patron!

Blew my computer - URGENT

vandyman

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I brought another horse to this thread, since the other one is ashes and dirt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

gpjoe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
..all of which makes me wonder - I never charge any ecig stuff on my computer's USB port but I have on many occasions connected a mod to my PC to upgrade the firmware and haven't cooked my laptop. I assume that anytime you plug the mod into the computer it automatically tries to charge, even if you are just upgrading.

To all of those that warn against plugging/connecting "Chinese" ecigs to their computer: How do you upgrade your firmware?...or are we talking only about pod mods and egos rather than regulated box mods?

I'm in the "it's a computer problem" camp.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
If an upgrade is needed/wanted, might be able to do it w/o batteries installed(if they are external).

For any USB device plugged into a Windows PC, when I'm ready to unplug I always use "safely remove hardware and eject media". Don't know what other OS's have for that option.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This thread really needs to be closed, OP is long gone

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My USB ports are fuses so it would not harm anything charging from my computer and I have a seasonic PSU and +5V is 20A. I always get high quality PSU and when I build a new computer just transfer PSU. USB power delivery spec is rated for 5A so charging a mod off it shouldn't overload it. I don't charge off my computer I do have a 6 port usb hub that I do plug my mod into occasional each port provides 1A. I got my money in harddrives than the rest of the computer combined. If you paid $3,000 for a store bought desktop computer you got ripped off unless it comes with top of the line cpu and graphic card/s

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
My USB ports are fuses so it would not harm anything charging from my computer and I have a seasonic PSU and +5V is 20A. I always get high quality PSU and when I build a new computer just transfer PSU. USB power delivery spec is rated for 5A so charging a mod off it shouldn't overload it. I don't charge off my computer I do have a 6 port usb hub that I do plug my mod into occasional each port provides 1A. I got my money in harddrives than the rest of the computer combined. If you paid $3,000 for a store bought desktop computer you got ripped off unless it comes with top of the line cpu and graphic card/s
I have Seasonic in one of mine as well, a Gold 750. Corsair RM550x in the one I use the most, probably made by Seasonic since they also make XFX and others. I agree don't skimp on PSU, it's the life blood. If it goes out it can take the rest with it. GPU is as needed. No store bought beats custom. With custom, you decide where the money is spent instead of it having parts made by the lowest bidder to the eom's. And you can customize the parts for specific needs and uses. Exp: Dell doesn't make any parts.
1 of mine has 1 HDD and 3 SSD's, the other 1 M.2 SSD with external spinner for back up. I put water cooling in my last build.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
..all of which makes me wonder - I never charge any ecig stuff on my computer's USB port but I have on many occasions connected a mod to my PC to upgrade the firmware and haven't cooked my laptop. I assume that anytime you plug the mod into the computer it automatically tries to charge, even if you are just upgrading.

To all of those that warn against plugging/connecting "Chinese" ecigs to their computer: How do you upgrade your firmware?...or are we talking only about pod mods and egos rather than regulated box mods?

I'm in the "it's a computer problem" camp.
Charge it up before you plug it into your PC to upgrade the firmware.It will draw little current then.
Not a good idea to upgrade the firmware in anything with a low battery anyway.
Increases the chance for a glitch during the process and turning your device into a brick.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

No shit, I got an i5 laptop in 2015 for $500! Stock graphics, but got the full 16gb RAM. But I've been buying PCs since 1989, it's pretty hard to rip off an informed consumer. ;)

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh so much in the new laptops runs thru your USB. Keyboard quite often, Mouse even if wireless, touch pad, sound, etc...
And most are not fused by a replaceable fuse.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
By fused I guessing its the kind that auto reset.
I am not claiming to be an expert on current laptop tech.
However I am a lifelong electronics tech. And from what I have seen and read in most laptops if you blow the USB circuitry you can often pretty much brick the machine. Auto reset? Maybe but I kinda doubt it. The makers like selling new laptops too much.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am not claiming to be an expert on current laptop tech.
However I am a lifelong electronics tech. And from what I have seen and read in most laptops if you blow the USB circuitry you can often pretty much brick the machine. Auto reset? Maybe but I kinda doubt it. The makers like selling new laptops too much.
I was really talk about my desktop. My motherboard one of the selling points is each USB is separately fused so I guess that isn't typical

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wow, I'm sorry about your situation. It was really awkward. This is the first time I've heard about such a situation. In my opinion, such a small device as vaping cannot destroy a laptop, especially for such an amount.

Thread is from 2017 and last post was in 2018, 2 years ago. I am sure your Sympathy would be appreciated if the OP was on this forum but he hasn't visited in over 3 years. Welcome @shortwiw

VU Sponsors