Become a Patron!

Blotto Single Coil RTA Review

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

So, the Blotto Single Coil from Dovpo and the Vaping Bogan, the third in the line of Blotto RTAs, with the fourth - a rumored 28mm dual-coil Blotto on its way.

Despite it being very popular with many people, I wasn’t the biggest fan of the original Blotto.

However, none of the above is relevant to this review, how the Blotto Single Coil performs is my only concern.

DSC_0252.jpg

More Images are here

What do you get?

• 23mm Blotto Single-Coil RTA - (fitted with 2.8ml straight glass or 2ml if you’re in TPD land)
  • 5ml bubble glass
  • 5ml PCTG tank
  • Skull bottle opener/coil tool
  • Spares
Having the choice of three different tanks is very nice, however I prefer narrower bore drip-tips, especially on single-coil atomizers and the lack of coils/cotton is slightly disappointing.

First impressions

If you own the original Blotto, the design of the single-coil version will feel very familiar, a slightly narrower deck with two posts instead of four.

Of course that’s over simplifying things and not really fair. Yes, it is the same basic concept when it comes to deck layout and airflow, but it is a completely new deck – the original under coil airflow slots have been redesigned and the airflow surrounding the coil is now 272 degrees compared to 242 degree on the original.

The top-cap requires a quarter turn to remove and feels very secure (I wish the Eclipse top-cap was like this), the threading on the deck is smooth, everything feels nicely made.

The design aesthetics are in line with the original Blotto, from the bottle-cap style ridges to the skull logo on the chamber, the clear/metal drip-tip and the chunky bubble glass.

If you liked the looks of the original, you’ll like the looks of the single.

DSC_0288.jpg

Build

I have one minor issue with this deck, the post position is ideal for clockwise wrapped coils, not counter clockwise.

This issue has an easy solution, if you have a clockwise wrapped coil you should open the coil leads to form an open V shape, while if you are using a counterclockwise you should cross the coil leads to form an X shape – both styles drop easily into the posts if you have the leads open to right width.

Here are some comparison images of the two styles.

Wicking is a little tricky, if you’re planning to chain vape at higher wattages you’re going to have to thin and fluff the cotton nicely, as this RTA relies of capillary action for wicking more than most of the compact single-coil RTAs I’m used to, however it still requires a decent amount of cotton to prevent minor leakage.

Overall, this isn’t something I’d necessarily recommend as a first RTA due to the wicking, but anyone with RTA experience shouldn’t struggle too much.

DSC_0032.jpg

How does it perform?

• Framed Stapled Clapton 3.0mm 0.3ohms - at the power levels this coil required, this was too much for me, the flavor was very good but it felt as if there wasn’t enough airflow hitting the coil for this type of build. I suspect that some people will enjoy this type of build the most, but I prefer a calmer vape.
  • Dual-core Fused Clapton 3.0mm 0.35ohms - for my next build I went with a less demanding coil, from 45-60w this gave good flavor and great cloud production. I enjoyed the build a lot, the wicking kept up well and it was a very satisfying vape.
  • Dual-core Fused Clapton 2.5mm 0.30ohms - Reducing the coil size lets coil breathe a little more. From 40-55w this build performed in a very similar fashion to the 3.0mm fused clapton build, just turned down a couple of notches. However, getting the wicking perfect is more difficult with a 2.5mm coil – not impossible but more challenging.
It’s really worth trying different drip-tips, I went so far as to use a 510 drip-tip + adapter with my 2.5mm build.

I started testing this RTA immediately after reviewing the Eclipse RTA and was expecting them to be similar – they aren’t. I have identical builds/juice in both of them right now and they are performing so differently, the Eclipse provides more accurate flavor, however the Blotto gives a more satisfying vape due to the higher levels of vapor production.

Maybe that’s the point – the Blotto Single has a wider bore chimney than most of the current single-coil RTAs, I’m sure Dovpo could have designed it with a narrower chimney, but that would have made it just the same as every other compact flavor chasing RTA that has been released over the last year or so.

DSC_0066.jpg

Airflow

This airflow on this RTA is surprisingly restrictive, especially for a comparatively cloudy single-coiler.

I have a speculative theory about this airflow design choice – the wicking can struggle with larger mass coils once you start to push the power, more airflow will just encourage people to put more complex coils and use more power, leading to complaints about it not wicking well enough.

Overall, the airflow is nice – it’s smooth, it’s not silent but the noise isn’t an annoying whistle.

DSC_0018.jpg

What could be improved?

• Wicking – it’s not that it’s so hard, I just felt that it holds you back from using certain coils and chain vaping and higher wattages.
  • Extras – I like getting coils/cotton with my RTAs, also two drip-tips would have been nice, considering the wide internal bore of the supplied drip-tip.
Conclusion

I like the Blotto Single so much more than the original Blotto, while the original felt compromised with both single and dual-coil builds, this version feels far more optimized and performs well.

I wish manufacturers would take note of this – if I want a single-coil RTA, I’ll buy a single-coil RTA, if I want a dual-coil RTA, I’ll buy a dual-coil RTA, if I want both, I’ll buy two RTAs.

Disclaimer

The Blotto Single Coil RTA was provided for the purposes of this review by Sourcemore who currently have it available for $35.50

VU Sponsors