Become a Patron!

Bob's Burgers and Great North Creators Explain Why a Crossover Will Never Happen - Comic-Con 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
No matter how much you might ask, the creators of Bob's Burgers and The Great North aren't going to do a crossover between the two shows – and they're very clear on why.

Speaking during a Great North panel at Comic-Con@Home 2021, the two shows' creators sought to put an end to fan requests for a team-up between the Belcher and Tobin clans. While it might seem a simple thing to do – the shows share staff and animation styles – it's clear that it's more of a philosophical problem for those making them.

Great North co-creator and Bob's Burgers writer Wendy Molyneux explained, "From my point of view, you live inside these realities – people say, 'oh I'll just binge watch it over and over again,' for Bob's [Burgers], Central Park and all that. And you don't really want to break the reality by crossing the streams."

Bob's Burgers creator Loren Bouchard agreed: "Yeah that's my thought to. You know, if you're a doctor and your patient wants more and more morphine, at a certain point – even though morphine feels really good – you have to say no, and you have to explain it, and they still look at you like, 'give me the morphine!'

"So I feel like that's what happens with crossovers, it's like this fever. They want the crossover, and I hate being this guy, but I will back [Wendy] up, and I will say this: we try so hard for so many days of our year, our working lives, trying to basically believe these character are real and these worlds are real. We know it's made-up, we know we're writing, but it's pretty close to a little religious exercise where you actually imagine they're real. What would they do? What would they say?"

[ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2018/08/10/bobs-burgers-movie-family-guy-hybrid-film-might-be-coming"]
"And so, somehow," Bouchard continued, "when you cross a show with another show – I'm sure there are people who can do it, and I guess it works in the Marvel universe or whatever – but for me it just screams, 'Oh it's just a TV show.' And I think even though the fans want it – and they feel the pleasure of, 'Oh imagine that guy was talking to that guy!' – it's still this thing that I personally will try to explain how you shouldn't have that. It's not good for you, it could potentially kill the whole enterprise."

With that mindset in place, you can likely expect that same approach for Bouchard's other show, Central Park. And yes, of course it's worth pointing out that Bob's Burgers has, in fact, had a crossover with Archer already – although that was very much Bob's Burgers within Archer, rather than the other way round.

We're nearing the end of Comic-Con@Home for this year, but if you want to know what's still to come, make sure to check out the schedule, and how to watch it with us.

[poilib element="accentDivider"]

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors