Become a Patron!

Braided kanthal

cjhest1983

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried braiding kanthal to make coils? I just got a bunch of wire and want to try something different, but I don't want to waste a ton of wire if it doesn't work. I've already done twisted wire and I'm not entirely sold.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It depends on the twisted gauge.
braiding seems like to much of a serious pain in the ass to screw with honestly. I have tried it with 28 and 32 but you can't get a seriously tight braid.

Have you tried rolling parallel coils or running parallel with more than 2 strands of wire?

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I love my twisted 28. It is easy to do with a drill and gets tight as hell.
I have made several sub ohm dual coils with twisted and i really like the quality of the vape.

It can be a bit tricky though if you have a small deck to work on or tiny post holes/screws.

If you are aiming for a particular ohm you may want to figure out what the diameter of your twisted is and then use that comparable gauge wire size in this cool little online "app" called coil toy.
http://coiltoy.ermeso.com/

lordperth

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love my twisted 28. It is easy to do with a drill and gets tight as hell.
I have made several sub ohm dual coils with twisted and i really like the quality of the vape.

It can be a bit tricky though if you have a small deck to work on or tiny post holes/screws.

If you are aiming for a particular ohm you may want to figure out what the diameter of your twisted is and then use that comparable gauge wire size in this cool little online "app" called coil toy.
http://coiltoy.ermeso.com/
It is tricky yes, I am new to all this but had to try, I watched a youtube video on a looped 8 wire braid and first tried with 24ga kanthal, OMG single coil on my goon and it came in at 0.03 ohms
20161010_135658.jpg
so tried again same braid using 28ga kanthal, came in at .18 ohms, really nice to vape from
20161029_182813.jpg

LoneHawk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
personally my favorite twisted wire is triple twisted 26g Ni80 6-7 wraps( dual coil)... usually comes out to .13

lordperth

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am thinking about going smaller, like quad 28G, but we'll see
I do like the twisted wire as well, simple and very effective, but these days, I just want to go crazy with the builds, gonna try next weekend to build mad max coil with a couple variations, If I don't post pics on it, that means it was a disaster lol

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have gotten in to the braids and the flavor is better than any of my fused claptons too. The fishtail braid is not that hard to do once you get the hang of it.

VU Sponsors