Become a Patron!

Building a coil-building station from the ground up.

Hey VU,

So my hands finally got tired enough from hand wrapping single claptons and I want to invest in a workstation to build my own coils. The thing is, I don't know EXACTLY what I need. I know I'll need a drill and some fishing swivels, but that's about it. I've watched many videos online about coil building, and most of the guys have really professional looking setups. Right off the bat I have to say that I don't have the money to build something so professional, so I'm mainly looking for something that gets the job done, and doesn't break the bank.

This Daedalus Pro Kit seems exactly what I need, but the company doesn't exist anymore, and China isn't making clones either. Does anyone know if any other companies make something comparable?

I know this is asking for a lot, but can you guys point me in the right direction? What size swivels, and how many? What are the swivels mounted to? What kind of drill? I live in Germany, and don't have nearly enough money for an imported Milwaukee drill or something else that comes from the states. So I need a variable speed drill that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, that preferably can stand on its own without being mounted. If the drill MUST be mounted, what type of a clamp should I get? Some type of vice grip, I presume?

Lastly, can any of you coil builders here post some pics of your workstations? I'd like to see what YOU'RE working with as well 😋

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,
Igor

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
First, I tried building for the fancier coils at one time. I used a cheap ~$20 - $30 USD cordless drill picked up at a local department store. Some of the swivels I used were sized 8/0. The drill stood of its own accord on the desk, flat part of battery. Used some vice grip pliers that were at home, to hold onto the wire/s. I was doing it really cheap. Also tried using a bought Daedalus kit. Both worked reasonably well, I guess.

Note my bold and italicized word, tried. I found myself more frustrated in trying to build fancier coils than I cared to be. Discovered a truth regarding fancier coils versus plain single strand round wire coils. That truth is, either type of coil does the same basic function. Fancier coils are mainly for subjective aesthetics.

So? So, I keep it simple and forgo the frustration. I stick with single strand round wire coils. I might twist two wires together and make a "tiger" coil now and then. I'm just not into doing much else fancier. Sorry if I'm of no real help.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I used to be all about fused claptons, and i still use them in my steam crave cuz they r wider and slot right in, but i am a round wire convert now too.

(Do your due diligence checking the site out, i cant vouch for it, it seams to be on a few now)
This is a complete scam. It's a site made for information harvesting. Some people are stupid enough to try and order something, but then they'll get some type of error message and not be able to complete the order. But the person on the other end of that site now has all your information, including credit card or PayPal login.

Really shady business. 😤

First, I tried building for the fancier coils at one time. I used a cheap ~$20 - $30 USD cordless drill picked up at a local department store. Some of the swivels I used were sized 8/0. The drill stood of its own accord on the desk, flat part of battery. Used some vice grip pliers that were at home, to hold onto the wire/s. I was doing it really cheap. Also tried using a bought Daedalus kit. Both worked reasonably well, I guess.

Note my bold and italicized word, tried. I found myself more frustrated in trying to build fancier coils than I cared to be. Discovered a truth regarding fancier coils versus plain single strand round wire coils. That truth is, either type of coil does the same basic function. Fancier coils are mainly for subjective aesthetics.

So? So, I keep it simple and forgo the frustration. I stick with single strand round wire coils. I might twist two wires together and make a "tiger" coil now and then. I'm just not into doing much else fancier. Sorry if I'm of no real help.
Are you into MTL or DL vaping?

I'm a flavor chaser, and I found fancy coils with a lot of surface area to give more pronounced flavor than plain round wire coils.

I prefer coils between 0.2-0.4 ohms. Any lower resistance and the vape is too warm for my liking.

What kind of round wire do you use? What type of coil do you prefer to make with it? Finally, how is the flavor?

I used to be all about fused claptons, and i still use them in my steam crave cuz they r wider and slot right in, but i am a round wire convert now too.
What type of metal, gauge, ID, and ohm reading do you prefer? Also, wrapped spaced or close together? How's the flavor?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Are you into MTL or DL vaping?

I'm a flavor chaser, and I found fancy coils with a lot of surface area to give more pronounced flavor than plain round wire coils.

I prefer coils between 0.2-0.4 ohms. Any lower resistance and the vape is too warm for my liking.

What kind of round wire do you use? What type of coil do you prefer to make with it? Finally, how is the flavor?

1. Restricted Direct Lung -- Which is kind of a misnomer really, you still inhale using your mouth, unless of course you vape nasally.

2. Mostly Kanthal from TemCo, or vendors carrying their wire. Currently, I have a Nichrome 0.60 24 gauge in a Requiem RDA on the Requiem kit. It's vaping cool but nicely so.

3. 3 mm ID and usually 26 or 28 gauge, not spaced but not fully crammed either, running from 0.30 to 0.60. Nothing fancy, just wrapped around a mandrel. Got a little hand winder, like a Coil Master, something akin to this. Steam Engine is a guide, but I'm often finding various different numbers of wraps work.

4. The flavor suits me well enough. Disclaimer in hand, though. I lack a sense of smell since birth, so also lack a really fine sense of taste. More often than not, I vape unflavored. For me, it is a less risk way to use nicotine. Although, I still use snuff as well, but locally sourced.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
This is a complete scam. It's a site made for information harvesting. Some people are stupid enough to try and order something, but then they'll get some type of error message and not be able to complete the order. But the person on the other end of that site now has all your information, including credit card or PayPal login.

Really shady business. 😤
Good lookin out

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
What type of metal, gauge, ID, and ohm reading do you prefer? Also, wrapped spaced or close together? How's the flavor?
Ss316L i have a sensitivity to nickel, otherwise i would recomend ni80, its easier to work. Also Ss316 has to be pulsed and dry burned more carefully

Anything over .5 ohms, right now im using non spaced, but i have used spaced coils. Spaced coils are easier to wrap by hand, i have a hard time doing non spaced coils by hand unless they were prewrapped. (Yes im cheating for a while, lol)

Use steam engine to figure out guage and stuff cuz im vaping pretty much full on mtl at this point, i have one mod set to 12 watts. So my info on that wont suit u, plus i vape close to unflavored, also not what u r looking for i believe

Last edited:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hey there IggyZ! I used to own a custom coil company called PureCoils until I was regulated out of business. I've easily made well over 5,000 pairs of coils. Don't go looking for a Daedalus - they're a joke. Honestly, the easiest setup is really quite simple - Just a wood block screwed to the opposite end of your worktable from where your drill is pointing. Screw an eyehook into that, and use THREE swivels clipped to each other. This redundancy is necessary in case one or two of the swivels start to fail. If you can find a Spin LT by USA Ohm Meters, get it! That's what's shown in the pic. Otherwise, the wooden block should still be fine. And that's all you really need - nothing complicated or expensive. I would hold and control the drill (laying it down on its side) with my right hand, and feed the wire with my left hand.

tbg3VsI.jpg

Last edited:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Oh, I added the eyehook to the Spin LT for making twisted wire coils, but you can use the one you already have in the wood block for that.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
For a drill, I just used the el cheapo ones from Harbor Freight for most coils (aliens, Claptons, etc.). But for more intricate coils like corrugated, framed staples, etc., I would suggest upgrading to something better like a Dewalt or a Ryobi.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
These are the swivels I used. Also, this is before I got the Spin LT - you can see I just have an eyehook, attached to the plastic tube of a cheap Walmart plastic shelf set I used to have. So yeah, it can be done quite inexpensively.

JuUmaZf.jpg

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Ive seen also that some use clothespins or something of the sort on the core wires to help keep them parallel, removing them as u go along with the wrap wire

Edit-i dont know how much u know but i once read that a good clapton should use a wrap wire 8 to 10 guages above the core wire(s). I have no idea how much this matters, certainly not a danger, just something i read once.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i once read that a good clapton should use a wrap wire 8 to 10 guages above the core wire(s).
I got some WireOptim here that has dual cores of 24 gauge SS316L. The wrapping on it is 34 gauge SS316L. Bought a 25' spool to play around with, building/turning out a few staggered Claptons. Think I've only done about 3 or 4 since buying it two years ago.

So no, not really a great fan of the fancy stuff. Then, I don't use six cell mods what go up to 200 to 300 watts either. Like mechanical mods that at most on a full charge might tap 28 Watts, dropped to 22 to 20 Watts then, get recharged. And yes, you can lean by experience when a battery has dropped off like that. The vapor gets different.

Hey there IggyZ! I used to own a custom coil company called PureCoils until I was regulated out of business. I've easily made well over 5,000 pairs of coils. Don't go looking for a Daedalus - they're a joke. Honestly, the easiest setup is really quite simple - Just a wood block screwed to the opposite end of your worktable from where your drill is pointing. Screw an eyehook into that, and use THREE swivels clipped to each other. This redundancy is necessary in case one or two of the swivels start to fail. If you can find a Spin LT by USA Ohm Meters, get it! That's what's shown in the pic. Otherwise, the wooden block should still be fine. And that's all you really need - nothing complicated or expensive. I would hold and control the drill (laying it down on its side) with my right hand, and feed the wire with my left hand.

tbg3VsI.jpg
Thanks so much for your replies! I went this exact route. Got a cheap drill, a wood block, and eye hooks and swivels. Cost me a total of 40€.

I got the following wires. All highest purity, German made.

50m 38g ss316l
25m 32g ss316l
10m 28g ss316l
10m 24g ss316l
25m 0.9*0.1 ss316l
10m 0.8*0.3 ss316l

And then again all the same wire types made from ni80. I assume this is more than enough to get started. I Hope so, as the wires cost more than my drill setup. 🤣

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks so much for your replies! I went this exact route. Got a cheap drill, a wood block, and eye hooks and swivels. Cost me a total of 40€.

I got the following wires. All highest purity, German made.

50m 38g ss316l
25m 32g ss316l
10m 28g ss316l
10m 24g ss316l
25m 0.9*0.1 ss316l
10m 0.8*0.3 ss316l

And then again all the same wire types made from ni80. I assume this is more than enough to get started. I Hope so, as the wires cost more than my drill setup. 🤣

May want to look at TemCo. They make wire to international standards. I sometimes get deliveries of wire before I even order. It is like they're wired into my brain or something. *grin* No, I'm not a shill or salesperson for them. I am though happy with their wire. Yes, they have SS and Nichrome wire, think I even saw tungsten once, but don't quote me on the tungsten. I visit all kinds of sites and may have gotten confused.

I love TEMco...utterly reliable and USA made...been using their wire for over a decade.
Im not in the USA, so it's a bit harder to get good wire specifically made for vaping, but I found a really good source here in Germany. Could be TEMco, but I don't know for sure. I just know my source is on www.zivipf.com. I never got substandard wares from him, so I don't plan on ordering anywhere else at the moment.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Also, search for wire that is either made by Sandvik or extruded from Sandvik alloys. They are the company that originated most (if not all) of the resistance wire/alloys that we use for vaping. They are the absolute best of the best.

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
This may not be a popular opinion but I just buy premade spools of various types of wires: Claptons, dual core, tri-core, framed staples, etc. from various brands like Coilology, UD, and Vandy Vape and their cheap and work great for me.

If you want to build your own from a hobby standpoint I would understand, and I imagine that they would be better, but I find the flavor I get from the premade spools to be quite good. An often under looked factor in flavor for me is great cotton which I am heavily exploring currently.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
An often under looked factor in flavor for me is great cotton which I am heavily exploring currently.
Have you tried Cotton Bacon Prime? Pretty much has zero break-in time, and no discernible flavor of its own.

Reactions: STX
Yup I have Cotton Bacon V2 and Prime as well as Kendo Gold, Dat White Stuff, and KGB. All great cotton IMO!

I started with premade spools, but very much wanted to try to build my own from a hobby standpoint, as you said.

I almost have single, dual, and twisted cores mastered. My problem now is multi-core coils. My cores keep breaking from constantly have to go back and forth to fix mistakes. It's quite frustrating. My first 4 core was fine for 5 inches, and then the outer cores stacked on the inner ones and I couldn't get them parallel again. I'm using the drill and fishing swivels method, if anyone could give me some tips.

As for cotton, I prefer Muji organic Japanese cotton (or the similar organic Amazon brands) or Cotton Bacon v2 (or the Chinese knock-offs). Both have amazing flavor, and both are fairly easy to work with. But Cotton bacon takes the cake for easiness of use and flavor. "Dat white stuff" lmao, what a name for a brand. 🤣

Reactions: STX

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I started with premade spools, but very much wanted to try to build my own from a hobby standpoint, as you said.
Well seeing as how you used to use the premade spools do you feel that the strands that you make perform better as far as flavor, functionality, longevity, etc.?

Well seeing as how you used to use the premade spools do you feel that the strands that you make perform better as far as flavor, functionality, longevity, etc.?

To be honest, I don't think so, but maybe it tastes better to ME because I took the time to wrap the coil. It could be true, or it could be in my head. Either way, I'm happy with the result.

As for longevity, I think mine are actually better because they are made from good cores and wrap wire. Sometimes with China wires, there are problems. I've heard of many an unusable spool.

My go-to since I started is a simple, 24/32 Clapton @ about .3 ohms. .3-.4ohm seems to be the sweet spot for flavor on multiple atties I own. This coil shines in my hadaly in TC Mode. 100tcr, 50w preheat = amazing.

Attachments

• B15665F2-49BF-4192-BFAC-C65BB5AEFDA6.jpeg
    B15665F2-49BF-4192-BFAC-C65BB5AEFDA6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Thanks for that, but unfortunately I'm in Germany. He's not going to send it here for 12$, and with shipping costs from the states, the sliders are no longer worth it. I need to find something similar here in Germany.

My wife brought me home some fancy ROUND paper clips which are made out of flat, heavy steel. I have a feeling two of these will be absolutely perfect, but i won't know until she comes home from work this evening.

Attachments

• 6E6AA1C5-F744-45A4-874E-E9D271F9A41B.png
    6E6AA1C5-F744-45A4-874E-E9D271F9A41B.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
I've succeeded with my first tri-core parallel Clapton! Trying it as soon as I upload this picture.

Man oh man, it took me a good 45 minutes to wrap enough length for (1) 3.5mm ID coil. 🤣

Ss316l - 3*28g/38g

Attachments

• 109DD087-621D-44C8-849B-C5EE2A1C8CDD.jpeg
    109DD087-621D-44C8-849B-C5EE2A1C8CDD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

VU Sponsors