Become a Patron!

Building several RBAs and RDAs

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Need tips/advice on several rebuildables...
1. Axial RDA (built it once using dual coils... worked OK but I refuse to deal with dual coils that share the same mounting holes) On another forum, everyone said they just did single coil. I am thinking of using a large coil (3.5 or even 4mm ID) Also, can wick it using "S" shape or split each wick tail into two (like a "Y") The latter sounds very tempting to try.

2. Cthulhu Mjolnir (new... first time build) Mostly wondering what size coil to use (ID) Might keep it simple (24 ga round wire) or I do have some "scraps" of fancier wires that someone gave me. I do know it needs long wick tails (high deck, deep well)

3. Subtank Mini RBA (very small) Have watched a mess of videos... wicking they all agree on but not sure about the coil. Mostly size (2.5 or 3mm ID) and Ga (I have 26 and 28 kanthal)

4. iJoy Exo S RBA (that fits a Vaporesso NRG tank) I like the looks of it but could not find a single video (only vids on iJoy RTAs) Has anyone used one of these (they also fit other tanks)?

5. Wismec RBA (for Gnome King RTA) Someone gave me this used... totally clueless. Also no videos that I could find.

6. UD Bellus RTA (small dual coil build) The person who gave me this said "she is evil" (I agree) Several failed attempts... the deck/chamber is tiny and the coils have to be mounted sharing the same holes... hate it. Even when I did a good build, one of the coils would always short against the inside of the chamber. Going to try one last time using micro coils (28 ga 2.5 mm ID)

Any tips, suggestions are welcome.

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
4. iJoy Exo S RBA (that fits a Vaporesso NRG tank) I like the looks of it but could not find a single video (only vids on iJoy RTAs) Has anyone used one of these (they also fit other tanks)?
The EXO is the only one on your list I've used. Had a lot of trouble getting it to work well. The major problem was a LOT of leaking. Maybe some of my trial & error will help you...

- My first attempts -- three times that leaked terribly -- were with simple round wire. The build that's working was with Alien wire pre-built coils from Coilology.
- Also, I pulled out the wire so the coil was very spaced for the size of the RBA.

- The earlier builds were 0.8 - 1.0 Ohms. The one that's working is 0.6.

- I tried it first in a Cerberus; it's working now in an NRG-PE. The Cerberus did not leak with a drop-in coil head, so it's not the tank itself but there might be something to the difference.

- What probably helped the most was that I combed out the tails of the wick a lot. I always comb out the tails of wicks but I made these tails much thinner than what's worked in every RTA and the one other RBA I've built. In the wick holes, the tails are juuuust touching the base.

Hope this helps some. Good luck.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Need tips/advice on several rebuildables...
1. Axial RDA (built it once using dual coils... worked OK but I refuse to deal with dual coils that share the same mounting holes) On another forum, everyone said they just did single coil. I am thinking of using a large coil (3.5 or even 4mm ID) Also, can wick it using "S" shape or split each wick tail into two (like a "Y") The latter sounds very tempting to try.

2. Cthulhu Mjolnir (new... first time build) Mostly wondering what size coil to use (ID) Might keep it simple (24 ga round wire) or I do have some "scraps" of fancier wires that someone gave me. I do know it needs long wick tails (high deck, deep well)

3. Subtank Mini RBA (very small) Have watched a mess of videos... wicking they all agree on but not sure about the coil. Mostly size (2.5 or 3mm ID) and Ga (I have 26 and 28 kanthal)

5. Wismec RBA (for Gnome King RTA) Someone gave me this used... totally clueless. Also no videos that I could find.

6. UD Bellus RTA (small dual coil build) The person who gave me this said "she is evil" (I agree) Several failed attempts... the deck/chamber is tiny and the coils have to be mounted sharing the same holes... hate it. Even when I did a good build, one of the coils would always short against the inside of the chamber. Going to try one last time using micro coils (28 ga 2.5 mm ID)

Any tips, suggestions are welcome.
If it's the fat single coil RBA, I have a few of them. Eightvape had em for like two bucks so I grabbed some. The airflow isn't very open. I'd suggest using something simple or small. It'll fit in a few of the other baby beast coil tanks but not all. I used it in a Cerberus I think. I also tried it in an obscure OBS tank called the Draco.

The Gnome RBA is a little cramped and might use shared posts for dual coils? I don't remember. I just used single core Clapton wire in it. The thing worked pretty well once set up. I didn't have any trouble using it. I had previous experience using Smok Baby Beast RBAs.

I haven't used an original Axial in a while. I mainly used dual coils but yeah, lots of people like singles. I think they just positioned it at an angle. There's a thread here about it somewhere.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I built my Axials with single 4mm coils, staged I believe, with split wicks on both ends of the coil

The WM rba was nothing complicated. I believe I used dual single core Clapton's, 2.5mm.

Subtank rba has been too long ago. Probably 2mm, 28 or 30awg nichrome.

We already talked about the Mjolnir.

The others you list, I haven't used.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you all... but please reference a number (1, 2 3...) so I know what you are talking about.
Yes, I am so tempted to try a single 4 mm coil in the axial (with split wick ends)... cool!
Thank you all... I will try to post pics of all of these builds.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
(with split wick ends)
With a single coil in the Axial, IMO go for curled wick ends instead like everyone else has done:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Not very good pics on hand but here's a few.
I use 3id and the flavor is super. I personally don't have a need to go bigger.
1656119642515.png

I probably mount the coil lower than most, about 2 mm from, and straight across, the posts. The space between the coils allows for bottom AF, and with the space between the posts most if it will hit the center of the coil which heats up first.
I always split the tails. But sometimes I'll just leave it long enough to cover the bottom, and sometimes I'll fashion it more like this pic so I can channel the AF, and/or have more wick to limit pooling. The posts are high so it squonks well but it can flow out the air holes. In this example the juice soaked wick is higher than the air slots.
1656120479505.png

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you all for the input...relatives just arrived so won't be doing this today (I will respond to all suggestions later)
BTW, not doing squonking (but regret not getting into that sooner) I know it's odd posting questions about so many builds at once. Will post pics (even a few of the decks before building) Company are waiting... have to go.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The EXO is the only one on your list I've used. Had a lot of trouble getting it to work well. The major problem was a LOT of leaking.
I looked it again... I think you should have not thinned the wicks so much (and stuffed them well into the holes) They don't get in the way of the threads of the chamber so why not stuff more in there? Not sure if we are talking about the same one... there are several (that's why I will post a pic soon)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If it's the fat single coil RBA, I have a few of them. Eightvape had em for like two bucks so I grabbed some. The airflow isn't very open. I'd suggest using something simple or small. It'll fit in a few of the other baby beast coil tanks but not all. I used it in a Cerberus I think. I also tried it in an obscure OBS tank called the Draco.

The Gnome RBA is a little cramped and might use shared posts for dual coils? I don't remember. I just used single core Clapton wire in it. The thing worked pretty well once set up. I didn't have any trouble using it. I had previous experience using Smok Baby Beast RBAs.

I haven't used an original Axial in a while. I mainly used dual coils but yeah, lots of people like singles. I think they just positioned it at an angle. There's a thread here about it somewhere.
About the Axial... going to get nuts on it... large single coil ("fancy wire") and going for the "split wick ends".

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Vape Fan , I think you are the one who I remember using "split wick tails"... totally going for that (regardless of coil choice) Actually going for 3.5 mm after all.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Have decided to use 26 ga (but 2.5mm ID) for the subtank mini RBA. (I only have a tiny bit of 28 ga that is going to be my last resort for the UD bellus RTA) I have lots of 26 ga.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Going to take the Wismec Gnome king apart... take another look at the RBA (might post pics of that)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The reason for this post... was going to jump into all this building, then ordered some "drop-in" coils... they are going fast... got lazy but now I don't have a choice. Besides... I love building so diving head on into it.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Here's a stock photo of the WM (Wismec) RBA. If I remember correctly the ones I bought came already built like this. I just put wicks in them and we were off to the races. Looks to me like it's built with 24awg round wire, probably N80.

1656197835456.png

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's a stock photo of the WM (Wismec) RBA. If I remember correctly the ones I bought came already built like this. I just put wicks in them and we were off to the races. Looks to me like it's built with 24awg round wire, probably N80.

View attachment 194459
They were pretty cheap at a bunch of places. I got/won a Gnome King in a kit so I ordered some of those RBAs. I had like 5 or 6 RBAs and only one tank lol. I later got some Gnome and Gnome Evo tanks (again tossed in with kits). I've had those tanks for years probably and still haven't used them. I should revisit the RBA and try one of those other tanks. They came with silicon plugs stuffed inside of them šŸ˜. Pretty easy to tear though.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
They were pretty cheap at a bunch of places. I got/won a Gnome King in a kit so I ordered some of those RBAs. I had like 5 or 6 RBAs and only one tank lol. I later got some Gnome and Gnome Evo tanks (again tossed in with kits). I've had those tanks for years probably and still haven't used them. I should revisit the RBA and try one of those other tanks. They came with silicon plugs stuffed inside of them šŸ˜. Pretty easy to tear though.

I think I must have ordered the two WM RBAs I have from ejuicesteals - or actually, I may have gotten them from you! Either way, I got them after I had bought two Reuleaux kits that came with Gnome King tanks. I really try not to buy tanks that only take factory coils.

The RBAs worked well, had good vapor and flavor production. I had some leaking from the tanks' airflows over time, but I'm sure it was because I didn't vape them often enough, and they spent a lot of time just sitting. Any tank that's handled like that will leak.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The RBAs worked well, had good vapor and flavor production. I had some leaking from the tanks' airflows over time, but I'm sure it was because I didn't vape them often enough, and they spent a lot of time just sitting. Any tank that's handled like that will leak.
I have a RTA like that (Silverplay) Great flavor (if it doesn't leak) Does fine when used often... but let it sit for days and leaks.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Update: had relatives come visit over the week-end (didn't get any building done) That might be a good thing. Did some more research and realized something. When I first started building, mostly did 3mm ID coils with simple 26 ga wire (both contact and spaced) I made my own (okie rigged) coil winder to make 3mm contact coils (it works great... made from a broomstick and nails LOL) Now I need to make some 2.5mm coils so going to "okie rig" another coil winder.
Yes... that WM RBA (Wismec) is a tight build (dual coils sharing the same mounting holes... here I go again)
I can see now that it would have helped others more if each build was a separate thread (to help with searching)

VU Sponsors