Become a Patron!

Burning at low Watts

I've replaced my coil to another coil of the same type (TFQ4) I cleaned my tank, primed and let my coil soak, yet it tastes like its burning even at 40w. Prior to switching my coil it was at 80w and tasted great. Please help

Specifications: Tank- SMOK TFV4 tank with TFQ4 quad coils. Base- kanger tech Kbox 200. Currently at 50w 0.15ohm

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just curious - Kanthal run in wattage only, Titanium and Nickel run in TC only, and SS run in either.

Just curious - Kanthal run in wattage only, Titanium and Nickel run in TC only, and SS run in either.
It runs in all modes, the only noticeable difference is how hot the smoke gets with slight variation in flavour. I don't currently know what my coil would be if I did run it in Tc my guess would be titanium or ss, as I haven't really used tc other than with my other Vape I just got.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What I'm saying is, if your coils are made of Titanium or Nickel, you should only run those in TC mode. If Kanthal, wattage mode only. If made of SS, either is fine.

Okay. I still don't know why its started burning now instead of a while back when I got it. Ive purchased multiple packs of coils to ensure the coils aren't defective.

HOPEFULLY, someone with way more experience will stop by and help you more. Good luck, regardless. I hate burnt vapes, too.
ive gone through the manual and a video review, apparently my box can be updated with a computer, and I've now found out its supposed to prompt you when u replace coils, mine has never done that. Ive removed the tank fired it, it displays maximum ohm resistance blinked 3 times and now I can run it at 68w with a small amount of burn taste. So hopefully when it cools down I can make it ask me if the coil is new hopefully fixing why it burns

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
ive gone through the manual and a video review, apparently my box can be updated with a computer, and I've now found out its supposed to prompt you when u replace coils, mine has never done that. Ive removed the tank fired it, it displays maximum ohm resistance blinked 3 times and now I can run it at 68w with a small amount of burn taste. So hopefully when it cools down I can make it ask me if the coil is new hopefully fixing why it burns
If the new coil has the same resistance as the old coil, you won't be prompted. In addition, the TF-Q4 is using Kanthal wire, so it can be used in power/wattage mode only. @HeadInClouds has a point, regarding the VG/PG level of your eJuice. I'm not sure though, if there's a certain level for this particular coil, due to never having used the TF-Q4. I'm mainly using the TF-STC2.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Doesn't that tank have an optional airflow restrictor?

Hey I had the same Issue with my SMOK premade coils, Was sick of it, It ended up being because my juice was too thick and wasn't wicking efficiently, I in the end went to the rebuildible coil head and was wicking using the pancake method ( look on youtube ) fixed all my problems, Hope this helps.

- Pancake Wick

After wicking my own coil with the coilhead that comes with it, No more dry hits no more burnt hits, can easily vape at 40watts, Only suggestion I can make if you follow thru is when doing the pancake wick make sure the wick is flat against the airflow holes below coil so it soaks of excess juice or itl leak like a bitch, and also dont fill your tank right up, about just under half way should do it and close the airflow whilst doing so.

VU Sponsors