Become a Patron!

Burnt coils first hit

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Need some help here, I am Vaping with an Atlantis v2, and a Kanger Sub mini, both giving me burnt coils after less then a tank of juice through them. Most of the time it's on the first hit of the new coil, even getting burnt hits off nickle coil in Sub mini. Same results on 4 different mods. Vaping .5 ohm coils at between 20 and 25 watts. Don't know what I am doing wrong. Primed coils and let sit , one sat for a day and still same thing burnt taste on first hit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
  • Not sure about your primbing method but i primb all the inlets and the top anywhere where you see fluid entry suck on it hard a few times without fireing it and use it, never a problem with any of mine. You may have the wattage set just a little too high this will lead soon to dry coil and burning.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Couple things in my short time vaping you can try:

Get a juice that is not max VG...maybe 50/50

Before inserting the atomizer, actually drop juice into the juice inlet holes yourself. Put like 5-10 drops in each hole. Or more if you want. This will at least guarantee you wont get a burnt hit on your first tug.

im no TC expert but are you using nickel coil in wattage mode? maybe thats not good.

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Running Nickle coil in TC, prime coil , let is soak , tried different mods. Did a Google search seems like I am the only one ever to have this problem. Even asked at a B&M about this and the called Kanger , and still no answers. Just need to know what I am doing wrong, I mean it has to be me if both the Aspire and Kanger coils are doing it.

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Bad coils no doubt about it never once got a burnt hit yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I put juice in the coils on the side fill my atty let it sit a half hour than Vape!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You said you're running them at 25 watts....not joules (I now some tc mods use watts not joules)? You need to be in TC mode and set the temp up first (I run those pretty high but I'd start at around 400F and work up). What mod are you running them on and what temp?

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You said you're running them at 25 watts....not joules (I now some tc mods use watts not joules)? You need to be in TC mode and set the temp up first (I run those pretty high but I'd start at around 400F and work up). What mod are you running them on and what temp?
Three different types of coils , running regular coils ( believe aspire coils are stainless steel)for Atlantis and Sub mini @ 20 to 25 watts. Running nickle coils for Sub mini on a 75w sigelei TC @ 420° f. I have run the them on a 50w istick, a 40 coolfire, a 30w sigelei and 75w sigelei tc. Both reg. coils have burnt on all 4 mods.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Three different types of coils , running regular coils ( believe aspire coils are stainless steel)for Atlantis and Sub mini @ 20 to 25 watts. Running nickle coils for Sub mini on a 75w sigelei TC @ 420° f. I have run the them on a 50w istick, a 40 coolfire, a 30w sigelei and 75w sigelei tc. Both reg. coils have burnt on all 4 mods.

Sorry, I'm being a bit slow here. You're only running nickel coils, right? Or are you running kanthal coils? Or both?

Just to be clear, you're running kanthal coils only on the Istick, coolfire, and 30 watt Sigelei, and nickel coils on the 75w Sigelei using the TC setting?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have run kanthal coils on all 4 , nickle only on 75w.

Just out of interest, how long have you been vaping? I wonder if what you're actually experiencing is vapor's tongue? If you're getting a burned hit off the first hit of a new coil then you haven't primed them properly. Once a coil is burned it's no good and you have to chuck it out.

Why don't you take a new kanthal subtank coil, put a few drops of your eliquid in it, let it sit 5 minutes, and pop it on the Sigelei 30 watt. When you start to vape it put the wattage low (around 15 watts), and pull a few times. Once you're sure it's properly primed turn your wattage up to 20 watts.

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So you don't think the one that I let sit full of juice for over 24 hr was primed?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you don't think the one that I let sit full of juice for over 24 hr was primed?

Did you put some juice in it first? It sure should be, but who knows! I never let mine sit for more than it takes to screw the atty on, but I always juice it up first.

So, we know you can't possibly have bad boxes of all the coils (maybe one box but not all). And as you've said you must be doing something wrong - so let's try and get to the bottom of this!

How long have you been vaping?

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just out of interest, how long have you been vaping? I wonder if what you're actually experiencing is vapor's tongue? If you're getting a burned hit off the first hit of a new coil then you haven't primed them properly. Once a coil is burned it's no good and you have to chuck it out.

Why don't you take a new kanthal subtank coil, put a few drops of your eliquid in it, let it sit 5 minutes, and pop it on the Sigelei 30 watt. When you start to vape it put the wattage low (around 15 watts), and pull a few times. Once you're sure it's properly primed turn your wattage up to 20 watts.
Vaping about 6 weeks, and have tried everything else you suggested, with the same results.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaping about 6 weeks, and have tried everything else you suggested, with the same results.

6 weeks? Sounds like vapor's tongue to me - so sorry!

It'll go away, but it can take time (different for different people). Do you have any friends that vape who could verify what you're tasting as burned is not in fact a burned coil?

One more thing - have you tried with different juice. Oh....do you know what percentage of VG is in your juice?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
50 to 70% vg

I can only suggest what I suggested above. Take a brand new kanthal coil, use the 50% juice, prime as we said, let it sit 5 minutes, start with low wattage, and try again. There's no way that coil will burn if you do it that way!

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds plausible, and I will try, but why would me Vaping a 70% vg juice be different from anyone else Vaping a 70% vg juice in these tanks?

krazy.chic

Member For 4 Years
Just reading through and looking at what's been mentioned and you've said you'd tried already.... anyway I only have one question. Have you tried opening the air holes? I always keep mine wide open and it works best for me.

Also, Kanger has new Vertical coils and I really like them. I haven't burnt any of them, ever...at 40 watts. So if all else fails try some these newer kind. Good luck!

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just reading through and looking at what's been mentioned and you've said you'd tried already.... anyway I only have one question. Have you tried opening the air holes? I always keep mine wide open and it works best for me.

Also, Kanger has new Vertical coils and I really like them. I haven't burnt any of them, ever...at 40 watts. So if all else fails try some these newer kind. Good luck!
All ways vape with air holes full open, tank came with old style coils and they lasted 4 or 5 tanks. New coils bought from 2 different B&M vape shops will not even last a tank.

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well , was about to say thanks that did the trick, but then my coil burnt.

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I really think he has bad coils

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I Vape max VG on all tanks and nothing the only thing that can be is vapors tongue or bad coil nothing else is making sense to me? I'm sorry your going through this... What's the treatment for vapors tongue? Oh another question do u Vape sub ohm tanks like a cigarette (mouth to lung) or direct lung hits?
When I first started sub ohm I was vaping it mouth to lung and I was like damn Subtank coils are burnt... Once I realized its direct lung total game changer.
That's like the last thing I can think of

MooseMan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Are you taking lung hits or mouth to lung hits? I prefer mouth to lung and have noticed that when using sub tanks it doesn't wick as well as lung hits.

When taking a lung hit more vacuum is being applied to the tank and forcing the juice into the wicking material more quickly.

Pax

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I had a pkg of Ni coils from Kanger fail. I have a Subtank Plus and Invader mini. Wanted to use the TC feature but every coil gave off a burnt taste when using TC mode on the setup. I have since been using the RBA with Kanger pre wrapped coils (.5-.6) ohm range and wicking myself. It's works well. Eventually I will buy another pack of the Ni coils or just start to build them myself. At least someone else has had a problem, but both tanks makes one wonder if it is the mod??

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had a pkg of Ni coils from Kanger fail. I have a Subtank Plus and Invader mini. Wanted to use the TC feature but every coil gave off a burnt taste when using TC mode on the setup. I have since been using the RBA with Kanger pre wrapped coils (.5-.6) ohm range and wicking myself. It's works well. Eventually I will buy another pack of the Ni coils or just start to build them myself. At least someone else has had a problem, but both tanks makes one wonder if it is the mod??
4 different mods

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I Vape max VG on all tanks and nothing the only thing that can be is vapors tongue or bad coil nothing else is making sense to me? I'm sorry your going through this... What's the treatment for vapors tongue? Oh another question do u Vape sub ohm tanks like a cigarette (mouth to lung) or direct lung hits?
When I first started sub ohm I was vaping it mouth to lung and I was like damn Subtank coils are burnt... Once I realized its direct lung total game changer.
That's like the last thing I can think of

I can see that the coils are burnt
Are you taking lung hits or mouth to lung hits? I prefer mouth to lung and have noticed that when using sub tanks it doesn't wick as well as lung hits.

When taking a lung hit more vacuum is being applied to the tank and forcing the juice into the wicking material more quickly.
Lung hits

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have lowered the watts I am Vaping at and while still burning taking longer to burn , about a tank. Thinking I may try an RDA. Don't like the cool vape I am getting and think a coil should last longer then a day.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It could be your juice then. Some flavors (chocolate) will burn easily. What are you vaping?
That, and depending on what sweeteners are used in the juice makes a difference as well. Some will gunk up a coil and give a burnt taste pretty quick.

christopher.m.breton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It could be your juice then. Some flavors (chocolate) will burn easily. What are you vaping?

That, and depending on what sweeteners are used in the juice makes a difference as well. Some will gunk up a coil and give a burnt taste pretty quick.
Charlie Noble - Neptune's Nectar
Charlie Noble - Treasure Island 2
Charlie Noble - Good Cookie
The Bakery - Peach Palmer
Cuttwood - Boss Reserve
Sicboy - M.B.Y.C.
Suicide Bunny - Mothers Milk
Beard Co - #64
The Dreamery - Crunch Monster

All have burnt

VU Sponsors